• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Ran rp

Exactly. There should be a future patch that makes them unskippable when playing online. It's only an additional ten seconds or so if 4 people are playing anyway.

Those 10 seconds at up, especially of you're playing a lot of games, and it gets old when you're playing with the same three people and the same four characters.

SykoTech

I wish the character background on the menus would change by itself. Booted up the game this morning and was met with Kratos's ugly mug, which I would just been stuck with. Had to restart in order to get someone easier on the eyes (Ratchet).

Exactly. There should be a future patch that makes them unskippable when playing online. It's only an additional ten seconds or so if 4 people are playing anyway.
Problem is it takes too long. It would be cool if they had all four characters appear next to eachother in split screens doing their intros

PSY・S;44690357 said:
Those 10 seconds at up, especially of you're playing a lot of games, and it gets old when you're playing with the same three people and the same four characters.

The way I see it, what's the point of being able to unlock this stuff if you can't show it off in front of your opponents prior to battle?

Here's what somebody on GameFAQS suggested...

ChiefCole said:
Each player should be able to skip their own intro.

That's the best compromise that can be made I think.

Well there's a tournament today in Toronto. Still not entirely happy with the rule set but oh well. I'll post a link if there's a stream!

Ran rp

The way I see it, what's the point of being able to unlock this stuff if you can't show it off in front of your opponents prior to battle?

It's not like unlocking most of it is a challenge. In a few games you can unlock most of the stuff that matters for a character, so when everyone has it and everyone's seen it, there isn't much to show off.

Here's what somebody on GameFAQS suggested...

That's the best compromise that can be made I think.

I guess that can work.

SykoTech

Ugh. Nariko's Lvl 1 only seems to hit where that barrel is. And her Lvl 2 is pretty slow and leaves her wide open to a counter Super. Her Lvl 3 is so good though.

Ugh, most of Dino's combos are either extremely technical or really bad. I'm always forced to go back to my B&B when playing online.

It doesn't help that of the ones taught in combo training, only one has you Angel Boost canceling, and it doesn't tell you what the timing should be.

Could anyone link me to either good Dino play or a combo resource? Thanks!

Noi

Ugh, most of Dino's combos are either extremely technical or really bad. I'm always forced to go back to my B&B when playing online.

It doesn't help that of the ones taught in combo training, only one has you Angel Boost canceling, and it doesn't tell you what the timing should be.

Could anyone link me to either good Dino play or a combo resource? Thanks!

You guys should just stop using Dino outright so that SB get the message and ditch him for the sequel. ;D

PSY・S;44691163 said:
It's not like unlocking most of it is a challenge. In a few games you can unlock most of the stuff that matters for a character, so when everyone has it and everyone's seen it, there isn't much to show off.

It's not about bragging how good you are with a character, but rather showing off their personality a bit through your own picked costume and introduction sequence. That's the way I see it anyhow. I think that for a game that prides itself on being a celebration of all things Playstation, it makes sense that these kind of unlocks be paraded and that players can revel in them. With 20 characters, each having 3 (or is it 4?) different intros to use, it allows for plenty of variety too.

Yeah, I also hate how everyone just skips the intros. I always let them play but it's only rarely that all 4 are shown.

If anyone wants to play some matches, my PSN is tjokeboke :)

Wait.

Shirtless_Dante_Costume.png

*buys game*

Carl

Eh, actually Sir Dan isn't that terrible. Just absolutely owned in a round of Story with him. Just have to learn him.

Eh, actually Sir Dan isn't that terrible. Just absolutely owned in a round of Story with him. Just have to learn him.

My brother uses Sir Dan as his main and is pretty good with him. His lvl 2 usually gets some kills in hard to dodge places. His lvl 1 is terrible though.

JoshHood

Just started Sir Dan's story. God his supers are terrible/

I haven't played much of him, but he's the default character for the Counter-Super general trial on Legend, so you pretty much have to just try and use his slow-upward-shooting Level 1 against PaRappa's awesome, fast skateboard super. GAAAAH. Did it eventually.

Damn, those levels look amazing. Why were they not included? :/
Well I don't know the story behind the pitch video but judging by the fact Superbot isn't mentioned, I'd guess the original pitch was by a few members of the team that would become Superbot and helped by designers from within Sony Santa Monica. Once they built their own team, the designers in the team simply weren't as talented as he SSM ones who created the pitch

Secondly, that UC2 train level would be hell to build, traveling through the changing environments.

Ran rp

It's not about bragging how good you are with a character, but rather showing off their personality a bit through your own picked costume and introduction sequence. That's the way I see it anyhow. I think that for a game that prides itself on being a celebration of all things Playstation, it makes sense that these kind of unlocks be paraded and that players can revel in them. With 20 characters, each having 3 (or is it 4?) different intros to use, it allows for plenty of variety too.

Still, not everyone wants to sit through them before every match. I usually let them play, though.

JoshHood

Well I don't know the story behind the pitch video but judging by the fact Superbot isn't mentioned, I'd guess the original pitch was by a few members of the team that would become Superbot and helped by designers from within Sony Santa Monica. Once they built their own team, the designers in the team simply weren't as talented as he SSM ones who created the pitch

Secondly, that UC2 train level would be hell to build, traveling through the changing environments.

Well I would've said they changed it more to be an actual competitive fighting game - some of the stuff in that video looks amazing, but wouldn't really be competitive at all.

Ran rp

Well I would've said they changed it more to be an actual competitive fighting game - some of the stuff in that video looks amazing, but wouldn't really be competitive at all.

It looked more like a competitive side-scrolling adventure game, which I'd be interested in playing.

Like what? Some stuff isn't practical like Kratos smashing into the screen and the whole train exploding but otherwise it would work. I particularly liked that the environments looked interactive.

JoshHood

Like what? Some stuff isn't practical like Kratos smashing into the screen and the whole train exploding but otherwise it would work. I particularly liked that the environments looked interactive.

I know what you mean - I agree that while the concept of mashup stages is awesome, the actual ones included in the game are kinda unimaginative and bland. I'm just saying I can understand why they'd want to go for a more competitive sort of focus.

It's like, the platforms in the Stowaways stage could wobble up and down, but then it would mean that combos and moves would work sometimes, but not always, and that takes away some of the appeal to the competitive scene.

At the moment they're halfway between that casual and compet. thing. I wonder which way we'll see it swinging in future versions.

I agree 100%, it's like 10 seconds, and they are fun to see. Stop skipping them. Or worse, watching yours, and then skipping everyone else's. Dick move lol

The compromise of skipping only yours is the best. If you can bear with everything else (level 3 cinematics, outros) you can bear with the entrance.

Well I played 2 hours of All Stars... I love it.
It has some serious issues (some characters have terrible levels ones, which means they are near unusable, despite the fact they have awesome level 2's usually) the online seems to have one or two bugs, but it seems OK aside from that. The trophy list is ridiculous, I got the hardest trophy by accident lol. The levelling up system is really cool, and rewards people who spend time with one character. The single player is your typical arcade mode, but is fun nonetheless.

I agree 100%, it's like 10 seconds, and they are fun to see. Stop skipping them. Or worse, watching yours, and then skipping everyone else's. Dick move lol

The compromise of skipping only yours is the best. If you can bear with everything else (level 3 cinematics, outros) you can bear with the entrance.

TimeEffect gets it.

CatHighFive.gif

J-Tier

They should have added variety stages for fun that aren't part of the ranked matchmaking process. Interactive environments wouldn't be an issue for the more competitive then, because that Uncharted x Warhawk idea was just too good to toss it out.

Quite enjoying playing as Radec. His level 2 is really good. Level 1 isn't too bad either.

Plus, he has quite possibly the coolest alt costume in the game:

Killzone_3_Capture_Trooper.jpg

I'm pretty sure the only reason I was able to win a free for all against TimeEffect, Nakiro and PSY-S using Radec last night is that they were too enthralled by my slick green costume.

Oh yeah, and just a heads-up, everyone; registration for the Scrafty Cup ends at 12:00 AM EST (GMT-5), so find a partner and sign up if you haven't already!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just started Sir Dan's story. God his supers are terrible/

His supers are definitely difficult, but his Level 1 is actually pretty good if you utilize this combo:

Square, Square, Up Square, Up Triangle, Super 1

This combo has served me well both in arcade and in online matches. I'm not a fan of his Level 2 Super, and I haven't even bothered to get his Level 3 yet. I've been able to get a good 2 or 3 kills with smart set ups and timing with his Level 1 Super. I wasn't too sure about him when I first started out with him, but now I actually like him.

EDIT: Also, Down Triangle, Up Triangle, Super 1 is another alternative, but a bit tricky to pull off because of the timing. Down Triangle is his downwards hammer slam, but it knocks the enemy up into the air at just the right height for your Up Triangle arrow to stun them, then follow through with the Super 1 for the kill.

That Down Triangle is also really useful for setting up people for Sir Dan's Level 2. I just killed all 3 enemies with it, because I launched them all up into the air at once with the Down Triangle attack. Lol.

Noi

Square, Square, Up Triangle, Super 1

Not a combo, that's a trap setup. It's really easy to avoid against other players if they see it coming (granted, it'll work in most FFA cause you don't see many Dan players), but in a straight up 1v1 one shouldn't be getting hit by it. It's mostly annoying that Dan's supers have really limited utility to get even 1 kill, while others can very easily get 2-3 kills just by randomly throwing out their levels 1's.

Carl

Plus, he has quite possibly the coolest alt costume in the game:

Killzone_3_Capture_Trooper.jpg

I'm pretty sure the only reason I was able to win a free for all against TimeEffect, Nakiro and PSY-S using Radec last night is that they were too enthralled by my slick green costume.

Indeed, that is pretty damn awesome.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Not a combo, that's a trap setup. It's really easy to avoid against other players if they see it coming (granted, it'll work in most FFA cause you don't see many Dan players), but in a straight up 1v1 one shouldn't be getting hit by it. It's mostly annoying that Dan's supers have really limited utility to get even 1 kill, while others can very easily get 2-3 kills just by randomly throwing out their levels 1's.

True. I can't imagine using Dan in a 1v1 situation, but that also goes for a few characters. I think it's clear that the main focus of this game was on 2v2 and FFA. I don't quite know why so many people want to force 1v1 onto the game play mechanics. Sure, 1v1 can be really cool (as evidenced by the various developer battles I've seen), but this is a party game first and foremost, and excels when more players are going at it.

FFA is chaotic, but with some good players, you can avoid some of the annoying frustrations you come across with newbie players that just mash buttons and throw out supers with no rhyme or reason.

I've only played a little 2v2 online, and it was fun, but I'm more looking to play with friends on the same TV.

EDIT: I also updated that earlier post: it's Square, Square, Up Square, Up Triangle, Super 1. I forgot to add the Up Square, which will launch them into the air so your Up Triangle can actually work.

TheMink

Indeed its a pretty good mind games technique but not nearly as good as it should be.
I think that his lvl 1 should be longer so you could reach a platform above to surprise people.

Carl

Yeah that's awesome. Despite some hiccups here and there I think this is a home run for Sony. I really hope it sells well so we can get a proper sequel.

Yeah me too. I love the game but there are some definite areas in which they can improve. I'd love to see a sequel so they can improve on areas.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've been doing my part and spreading the word among my friends about how awesome and fun the game is. Once we can actually make the time to hang out together, they'll be able to play it for themselves.

One of the things that this game does supremely well is convert skeptics most of the time. So many people were expecting it to play like Smash, but it just doesn't.

I imagine Superbot will be releasing a demo on PSN at some point in the future.

Noi

True. I can't imagine using Dan in a 1v1 situation, but that also goes for a few characters. I think it's clear that the main focus of this game was on 2v2 and FFA. I don't quite know why so many people want to force 1v1 onto the game play mechanics. Sure, 1v1 can be really cool (as evidenced by the various developer battles I've seen), but this is a party game first and foremost, and excels when more players are going at it.

FFA is chaotic, but with some good players, you can avoid some of the annoying frustrations you come across with newbie players that just mash buttons and throw out supers with no rhyme or reason.

I've only played a little 2v2 online, and it was fun, but I'm more looking to play with friends on the same TV.

Well, it extends to more than that really. Dan's problems lie in that he ultimately has a skill roof on how many kills you can get with him no matter how good you are. Even in FFA, other characters eclipse Dan in every single way. It's nice that his sword normals have a lot of range, but what good is it when his circle attacks are underwhelming and his supers are all severely gimped? Hell, it's ridiculous enough that BIG DADDY can dodge Dan's level 2 just by standing next to Dan and rolling towards him.

I really hate to put down the character I was looking forward to playing to the most, but it does irritate me that other characters seem like they had less thought put into how to balance them properly. And I'm not just talking about AP gain, of course.

Top Bottom