• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Woof, I haven't played for a few days and played 2 v 2 with new characters and a friend that just picked up the game and we got run on all night. Facing Brown belts and red belts and people with 600+ characters. Wasn't pretty. I was stubborn and kept trying to use Ratchet and Spike. There are some characters I am great with and others I am absolute garbage with.

Then I played as Cole in solo FFA, and got stuck in combos over and over again lol. Need to stick with my BnB and until I learn the intricacies of other characters. Surprise Surprise I switch to Fat Princess for my last match and score 19 points lol. Decided to end on that note.

Anyone else think the belt system is a bit harsh? I could win 10 straight matches and barely move up, yet if I lose one match, even if that means second place by 1 point, then I lose a lot of points. The climb back up is brutal. I understand perhaps being harsh like that in the higher level belts but getting through the green belt can be a slog even, especially when match made with higher level players. Also if you go down a belt level you go all the way to 50 of the previous belt. OUCH!!!

Skyzard

Banned
I just want to join one online match as the character I select.

Is this so hard?

Just picked up the cross-buy deal myself...played a few matches online without any issues... dmz for the vita on the router page?

I did run into that issue in the beta a few times though, with ports open iirc...so maybe I just haven't played enough games to run into the issue again.

Btw did you find out the answer to the your question (iirc) earlier on why it takes longer to respawn sometimes?

hey kinesis, forgot to add you yesterday, sending a friend request.

KiNeSiS

Banned
So I've come to the conclusion that Sweet Tooth is kind of garbage. Way too fun to not play from time to time though.

Perhaps you're trash playing as Sweet Tooth. I don't have the game yet but participated in both betas & crushed rooms full of Kratos.

Thoraxes

Just picked up the cross-buy deal myself...played a few matches online without any issues... dmz for the vita on the router page?

I did run into that issue in the beta a few times though, with ports open iirc.

Btw did you find out the answer to the your question earlier on why it takes longer to respawn sometimes?

I've tried two different modems, two different routes, wired and wireless on everything and nothing works. I have great connections in other multiplayer games I play, but this is just not good right now. Game was like flawless Thursday night, but tonight has not been good at all.

Also, no I did not yet. It's funny because everytime the long spawn happens to me, there's like 10 seconds of a match left, and Parappa or Ape Escape guy are waiting for me to spawn to use their level 3 lol, so then they just sit there and blow it on two dudes instead.

I'm playing on the PS3 right now. Maybe i'll try using my Vita to see if it magically works better for some reason.

Kurod

Banned
Heihachi is kind of crap in FFA. All of my combos leave me extremely exposed. I'm left having to rely on his down square and air down triangle most of the time.

I also found out that it takes more AP for Heihachi to go from level 1 to level 2 than it does for him to go from level 2 to level 3.

Nakiro

In a team game, I would suggest getting few kills and just staying away from sackboys, let them come to you, can't build the meter any other way.

Noi

Perhaps you're trash playing as Sweet Tooth. I don't have the game yet but participated in both betas & crushed rooms full of Kratos.

Or maybe you were just better than all the Kratos players.

I'm making the rounds and jotting down a quick and dirty tier list. And before people yell at those dirty words, tier lists aren't a bad thing. They help identify which characters need work or require more effort to win with.

Ran rp

jqEctKgC4dEPV.jpg

That Sir Dan player has a lovely name.

SmithnCo

In a team game, I would suggest getting few kills and just staying away from sackboys, let them come to you, can't build the meter any other way.

In many ways you are still screwed though, they can reverse some projectiles with the pad and slowly get in on you like a wall if it's a team. Just total cakespam all the time on the relatively small Resistance stage. If it were another stage maybe we would've not been totally screwed.

B.O.O.M

Depending on the map Sackboy can spam like crazy and get away with it. Set up an electric trap in the corner, stand behind it and shoot cake..rinse repeat

I'm making the rounds and jotting down a quick and dirty tier list. And before people yell at those dirty words, tier lists aren't a bad thing. They help identify which characters need work or require more effort to win with.

The problem is everyone is different. I find Toro easier than characters others have success using. My only problem characters like Toro and Spike is they have hard Level 1 supers to set up and every super can at best net 3 kills whereas other characters build meter faster and have supers that can net 4+, including Level 2's.

Soooooo maybe you have a point. lol. However, I can more easily win with Toro than I can other characters still.

So I bought the PS3 version and redeemed my Vita version as well.

I was thinking about using the Vita as a third controller using cross-play to play with a couple roommates, but since the PS3 and Vita copies are technically using the same PSN account, will that even work?

I need to get another Dualshock anyway, but I was hoping to using the Vita as a temporary solution.

SmithnCo

1. Sackboy
2. Raiden or something lololol

9000. Big Daddy

Skyzard

Banned
I've tried two different modems, two different routes, wired and wireless on everything and nothing works. I have great connections in other multiplayer games I play, but this is just not good right now. Game was like flawless Thursday night, but tonight has not been good at all.

Also, no I did not yet. It's funny because everytime the long spawn happens to me, there's like 10 seconds of a match left, and Parappa or Ape Escape guy are waiting for me to spawn to use their level 3 lol, so then they just sit there and blow it on two dudes instead.

I'm playing on the PS3 right now. Maybe i'll try using my Vita to see if it magically works better for some reason.

Ah perhaps it's server side? Lots of connections then..hope it sorts out for you soon. [edit: oh I see - when it restarts the search, thanks guys]

I'm not sure about the long respawn tbh, hopefully someone can answer us. Only played a few times but when it happened to me I THINK pressing Left trigger on the vita spawned me, but that might have been coincidence.

Heihachi is kind of crap in FFA. All of my combos leave me extremely exposed. I'm left having to rely on his down square and air down triangle most of the time.

I also found out that it takes more AP for Heihachi to go from level 1 to level 2 than it does for him to go from level 2 to level 3.

I've been using Heihachi myself, agree with the experience..can't really offer anything yet, but you know I feel that his level 2 is better than the 3 anyway - you can often get more than 3 kills with the lvl 2 (true, sometimes less). He builds up meter pretty fast to level 1 at least...when you manage to connect anyway.

His circle->(fast)->square is awesome just like in tekken too but I have to re-position my hand to press them down fast enough...which is a bit lame since it's a super close quarters move (tiny range I mean).

KiNeSiS

Banned

I was consistently kicking ass with Sweet Tooth against skilled players. Stick to his level 1. His level 2 is pathetic level 3 looks awesome but is a waste. Did they nerf him in the final build, he was a good all around character with awesome combo juggle launches.

Nakiro

I don't want to talk tiers much because I don't know how to play most of the characters well. I'm having tons of trouble just managing with Spike.

Thoraxes

Ah perhaps it's server side? Lots of connections then..hope it sorts out for you soon.

I'm not sure about the long respawn tbh, hopefully someone can answer us. Only played a few times but when it happened to me I THINK pressing Left trigger on the vita spawned me, but that might have been coincidence.

Yeah, I think i'm just going to wait it out a day or two. I've lost so much in ranking because of the errors i've been experiencing and i'd rather not lose more.

cyborg009

Banned
I was consistently kicking ass with Sweet Tooth against skilled players. Stick to his level 1. His level 2 is pathetic level 3 looks awesome but is a waste. Did they nerf him in the final build, he was a good all around character with awesome combo juggle launches.

They nerfed the distance of his shoulder bash.

Noi

The problem is everyone is different. I find Toro easier than characters others have success using. My only problem characters like Toro and Spike is they have hard Level 1 supers to set up and every super can at best net 3 kills whereas other characters build meter faster and have supers that can net 4+, including Level 2's.

Soooooo maybe you have a point. lol. However, I can more easily win with Toro than I can other characters still.

That's not a problem though. Tier lists aren't affected by "I can beat whole rooms of people with Sir Dan" kinda testimony. They basically gauge the potential of the character. If you're willing to put in the work to make a low tier character competitive, that's great.

As an example, Raiden is pretty much eclipses Sir Dan in almost every way. A skilled Sir Dan player can easilly beat an average Raiden. But that player's put in the work to squeeze the most juice out of the character. Odds are, if he faces an equally skilled Raiden, he'll lose more often than not. Same way with most of the cast.

That's why I said it's just a quick and dirty list. It's nothing conclusive, but I'm not just using my own experience, but watching other people fight, and feedback that I've read here as well.

Kurod

Banned
I've been using Heihachi myself, agree with the experience..can't really offer anything yet, but you know I feel that his level 2 is better than the 3 anyway - you can often get more than 3 kills with the 2 (true, sometimes less). He builds up meter pretty fast to level 1 at least...when you manage to connect anyway.

His circle->(fast)->square is awesome just like in tekken too but I have to re-position my hand to press them down fast enough...which is a bit lame since it's super close quarters.

Most of the people I've been playing against online have been really good about avoiding Kuma. I've had to go and throw people into him a few times just to get a kill. With the huge pool between level 1 and 2 you can store about three or four level 1's which can be nice if you manage to isolate someone and hit them with a down+circle-square hit. Unfortunately, most of the time it's such a huge clusterfuck you can't land any.

That's not a problem though. Tier lists aren't affected by "I can beat whole rooms of people with Sir Dan" kinda testimony. They basically gauge the potential of the character. If you're willing to put in the work to make a low tier character competitive, that's great.

As an example, Raiden is pretty much eclipses Sir Dan in almost every way. A skilled Sir Dan player can easilly beat an average Raiden. But that player's put in the work to squeeze the most juice out of the character. Odds are, if he faces an equally skilled Raiden, he'll lose more often than not. Same way with most of the cast.

That's why I said it's just a quick and dirty list. I'm not just using my own experience, but watching other people fight, and feedback that I've read here as well.

While you are at it put ratchet near the bottom. Lol. I am just not a fan of his supers at all. I can build good meter but his level 1 is such an easy whiff against even decent players, and his level 2 last about as long as parappa's level 2 without the speed and instant touch kill. Maybe he has some hit confirms I don't know about yet for his level one.

depward

Playing against broken Kratos is killing any enjoyment I'm having.

Block? Ok. Too bad he's too fast and can do a follow-up attack quicker than me going from blocking to attacking.

Dat AP is ridic

Impossible. You cant at all get near them to get AP first. A team of two Sackboys set up spawn points, then spam the hell out of you with the protection of their electricity. It's a madhouse.

This is the case for all those who have screen clears. Just goes to show that screen kill supers aren't worth it

Playing against broken Kratos is killing any enjoyment I'm having.

Block? Ok. Too bad he's too fast and can do a follow-up attack quicker than me going from blocking to attacking.

Dat AP is ridic

This and the hit priority kratos has are his biggest issues. Cool I blocked him, but good luck closing that crazy chain grab distance before he can attack again. Really I would forgive that if it wasn't for the fact his attacks move through and overcome nearly all other attacks. At least make some of his attacks vulnerable. I mean he is vulnerable for his level 1 even but not for normal attacks?

Noi

I hate that Kratos can literally spam his up square launcher as well. That thing should really have more recovery time on block.

Heihachi's lvl 2 is a pretty big gamble. I wish you could control Kuma.

That was the first thing I noticed with it and hated. I tried using Kuma 1v1 against my friend playing Drake on Franzea and between the stage layout and Drake's movement options, Kuma never hit him.

Skyzard

Banned
[edit: ^Sure TimeEffect? - PSY said to "Create a versus match party."]

Oh no, may have tested out Hachi's level 2 super mostly in SP haha, damn. :(

Hopefully he's not too underpowered, I'm drawn to heihachi..although wish we got the preorder costume as a default instead of the alternate ... ;)

I haven't picked this game up yet - just wondering, despite Kratos being dumbass overpowered, who do you guys notice is strong and or most frequently used?

I really want to hear how people would recommend fixing Sackboy. I fear that people's complaints would outright ruin the character. As a player of this character here's what I would change.

-Cake and Jam reduced to 15 AP from 25
-Level 3 only has opponents in bubble effect for first death. Afterwards opponents can run around normally.

The electric panel gives 5 AP already, there's no need to touch it. I think people just don't understand Sackboy is supposed to be an annoying zoner. His traps and cakes can be destroyed by swords at least. Having his cakes disappear after firing them would completely ruin the character. His fan doesn't stay out forever and can be destroyed, and his teleport can be destroyed.

As for my matches on stream, I think the only reason people went after the Kratos instead of me was because the Kratos player (my friend) proved himself to be a big threat. He lost to the 1st and 2nd players in singles but he really understands the game quite well, so for whatever reason they focused on him rather than me. I can't make suggestions for how to fight Sackboy in teams right now. Toro is the only other character I actually enjoy using in this game and I think he's pretty awful super wise so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Oh and Superbot seriously needs to add a timer to stock matches. I cannot believe they would miss something like that.

SmithnCo

Either make the bubbles last for only one kill or make them significantly faster. It's mainly his 3 that makes him really good.

Thoraxes

My other little problem is the being able to be hit while ground dodging/rolling. It makes rolling completely useless in actual combat.

Ran rp

Man, me and cyborg009 are always getting buggy games when he plays on the Vita. SuperBot really needs to release a patch soon. At least we won that last game.

KalBalboa

Banned
I haven't picked this game up yet - just wondering, despite Kratos being dumbass overpowered, who do you guys notice is strong and or most frequently used?

Kratos seems overpowered if you don't know how to fight him just right (at a distance, using projectiles, and always dodging and blocking). Raiden is definitely a popular character right now.

Noi

Kratos, Raiden and Dino are fairly popular. Dino isn't that great but people pick him cause he's the anstsy on the edge fellow with swords and (useless) gun.

Either make the bubbles last for only one kill or make them significantly faster. It's mainly his 3 that makes him really good.

This is a good suggestion. With Drake being the one exception, I wouldn't mind if every level 3 that transforms your opponent dropped that effect after one kill, seeing how Drake's is the only one that also limits his attacks to just one, rather than giving him his full moveset.

His level 3's current "advantage" is that if you kill someone during the super, they'll always respawn in a spot where they're easilly reached by Sackboy, more so if Sackboy actuallly set his portal and remembers that he can use the bounce pad. And since all you have to do is touch them rather than land an attack...

Jam and Cake having their AP gain reduce is also fine.

Actually I changed my mind. Only the cake needs an AP nerf. Jam Session is not that great. It disappears after a few bounces. If you get hit by Jam Session, you deserve it. That attack takes a bit to come out.

Top Bottom