• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Carl

Nearly done all of the characters stories now. Finding more and more characters i like. Not sure who to main now :p

Tsunamo

Sackboys taunts are great! Seeing other characters being so serious, and then seeing him be so carefree or pulling expressions from LittleBigPlanet always manages to make me smile.

Downloaded the game to Vita, and it's surprisingly fun! I've gotten bored with Brawl over the years (after playing almost every day at my dorm in college) but this is fresh and exciting.

Haven't played any online matches yet, just been messing around with Dante. He's easy to combo with, level 1 is pretty decent, but I don't know if I'm gonna stick with him.

I'll be online playing a bunch, so add me if you want.

PSN ID: saveweyard

Curufinwe

The PSN Vita version comes with the online pass for free, right?

I'm trying to trade the code I got for the downloadable version of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for PlayStation Vita to someone for a $20 PSN code, and they asked if it came with the online pass.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sackboy has a more precise jump in this game than any LittleBigPlanet.
Heh.

------

Played this game hard for 3 or 4 days straight, have taken a bit of a break from Black Friday.

I really like a lot of the characters, but man, do some of them feel downright incompetently made, compared to others.

QUESTION: Do the Cole's and Drake REALLY have random combo enders? What the What? Why not just change the last hits by holding a down or up on the Dpad?

Spike is cool, and I really wish he'd have a Brave Fencer Musashi skin, because playing him remind me of him way too much. Wish he had a sweep or uppercut option out of his basic combo.

Sir Dan in a lot better after you learn to play him. I actually like how, even though his moves are slow, they can still make decent combos.

Jak feels incomplete and sloppy compared to many of the other characters. He has ALL these moves that should setup VERY nicely. I want him to at least flow as well as Fat Princess, y'know? But instead, he has a near useless double bounce for a "sweep", his dash punch + uppercut doesn't set up anything naturally, his spins can't be combo'd into well, and his hits leave enemies in awkward states that feel horrible, after playing characters with perfect setups like Nariko, Fat Princess, or Raiden.

His supers are also kinda lukewarm. His lvl 3 would make up for it, if it were easier to reach, but with his horrid AP gain, it's just... meh. I at least wish his lvl 2 made a sphere under and over his body, when hitting on platforms. It's REALLY slow to start, so being able to fall through a floor, and laugh at him, it kinda sad.

Ratchet just feels like a solidly-made Jak. I'd really like to see Jak get some more work.

Big Daddy feels great, as a Tron Bonne player, he's perfect, haha. I like that, much like Dan, he's also slow, but still has real combos. This game feels best, when you take it's style of hitstun and combos, and get fresh, fun chains out of them.

I actually love how lengthy the combos can get, because it's puts a person truly at risk for getting Super'd in the back.

Nariko is one of my favorites, she feels like a well-planned fighthing game character. Her instant mixups, well-planned timing on moves and setups, and risk/reward all seem to fall into place very nicely.

Her chain-pull feels like the "balanced" version of Kratos', as his just still seems way too good. It it risked his life more, and had skill to selecting it's angles, it'd be more reasonable. As it is, it's just... ugh. ANYWAY... back to Nariko.

I think her lvl 1 is a bit too limited, though. No ability to change ranges, no hitbox on the shot, smaller-than-appearances hurtbox on the explosion, HORRIBLE on stages with slopes...

Her level 2 is pretty well balanced, Do wish she had an "early termination explosion" option, since someone like Big Daddy basically gets an entire 2nd moveset from his lvl 2.

Really like her lvl 3, no complaints there. It's a bit hard to reach at times, but the payoff is worth it.

Sackboy annoyed me more, when I thought his traps couldn't be destroyed. Being able to do such makes them more reasonable. His lvl 3 IS way too good, though. Lastling so long, PLUS respawning enemeies for more hits, seems like overkill for him.

Many more opinions, but I'll save those for another time...

Oh, this game should REALLY let your choose your background characters for the UI. At LEAST be able to cycle to one you'd want with the triggers. With all the customization, why was this overlooked?

Lastly, really wish 2p profiles could sign in for online play. I truly dislike that my brother gets nothing for all the time he's put into learning his characters, though we've been online together for almost every battle. He can't even use the character mods I make. Really odd.

The PSN Vita version comes with the online pass for free, right?

I'm trying to trade the code I got for the downloadable version of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for PlayStation Vita to someone for a $20 PSN code, and they asked if it came with the online pass.

Yes, mine did.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Haha, so it's really random. What a bad gimmick. One of the first Threshold combso I did involved a chain of Cole's combo ending in a stun, to a 3rd ending in a smash-away...

Making the enders into "hold down / forward / up, or neutral" style would be a much better idea.

Ohnonono

After bunches of matches I am finally moving up the blue belt chain with big daddy. The game bugged and gave me the killzone guy once and it was so silly. Snipe snipe snipe , lots of kills. Not too fun but if I wanna rank up fast he is there.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just beat Cole's arcade on legendary earlier. The final boss fight is actually challenging enough to make you sweat a bit; it had me pulling out all the stops when I had all three characters fighting me at once with the hazards going crazy.

The more and more I play the more I hope to see a 1 v 1 ranked option added sometime soon.

Tagg9

After bunches of matches I am finally moving up the blue belt chain with big daddy. The game bugged and gave me the killzone guy once and it was so silly. Snipe snipe snipe , lots of kills. Not too fun but if I wanna rank up fast he is there.

Radec does annoy me, but he's pretty easy to counter if you bother to stay on his tail.

Just beat Cole's arcade on legendary earlier. The final boss fight is actually challenging enough to make you sweat a bit; it had me pulling out all the stops when I had all three characters fighting me at once with the hazards going crazy.

The more and more I play the more I hope to see a 1 v 1 ranked option added sometime soon.

Seriously I want a 1v1 ranked online asap. It was stupid on Superbot's part to talk about the game in such high fashion about how it's very technical and has tons of depth only to give us the chaotic FFA ranked as the only online option.

Yay got a brown belt in FFA and red belt in 2v2 thanks to Kouichi <3. Now for the black belt but better not get cocky, its gonna get rocky.

Best thing about Parappa lvl 2 is that you can kill a guy twice with it. I did once get 5 kills in FFA and 4 kills in 2vs2 yesterday with Kouichi. My goal is to get 6 kills in FFA but that would mean the opponents are all reallllllllllly cooperative :D.

KalBalboa

Banned
Seriously I want a 1v1 ranked online asap. It was stupid on Superbot's part to talk about the game in such high fashion about how it's very technical and has tons of depth only to give us the chaotic FFA ranked as the only online option.

I don't mind so much right now because I really only play 2 v 2 when I go online, which is pretty directed and controlled. I like FFA a lot, too, and I've been spending a lot of time with friends on the couch with that.

Lastly, really wish 2p profiles could sign in for online play. I truly dislike that my brother gets nothing for all the time he's put into learning his characters, though we've been online together for almost every battle. He can't even use the character mods I make. Really odd.
This. I wished they would have added that feature to the retail version...

Do the Buzz trivia questions in Dreamscape not work anymore or something? I think I've gotten one in the full game and that's it.

I think it's random. Sometimes Buzz tries to start the question but it malfunctions and audience laughs. The LBP part is random too, it builds different things in different order.

Questions I have seen in retail:
Eddie Gordos fighting style?
Kratos home city?
Fat Princess, Uncharted multiplayer map names?
What animal is Murray?
Coles job in inFamous?

JoshHood

I think it's random. Sometimes Buzz tries to start the question but it malfunctions and audience laughs. The LBP part is random too, it builds different things in different order.

Questions I have seen in retail:
Eddie Gordos fighting style?
Kratos home city?
Fat Princess, Uncharted multiplayer map names?
What animal is Murray?
Coles job in inFamous?

I think I've had a question every time so far on Dreamscape - don't remember the first question, but the second was Who is Jak's love interest?

I'm surprised no one mentioned this but the wallpaper that shows up for a few seconds at the start of the Vita version is real nice.

I think they can easily fix the bland menu complaints like this:

For the Vita version, take out the wallpapers at the boot up and have them serve as main menu backgrounds. Then for the mugshots of each character currently in use, have those backgrounds in between loading matches to spice it up.

It may seem trivial but everytime I boot up the game and get ready to play I feel like I'm playing some cheap PSN game.

Now the PS3 version doesn't have those nice wallpapers so idk how they can be added if they can.

SmithnCo

Do the Buzz trivia questions in Dreamscape not work anymore or something? I think I've gotten one in the full game and that's it.

The hazards seem to be random, I've gotten it a few times but sometimes it doesn't show up.

Also there should be a Buzz trivia mode that grants super meter, it would be like KotH

So sick and tired of seeing multi-Kratos in FFA. Is Superbot seriously going to sit on their ass and do nothing? We've known how badly OP'd Kratos is since the beta, I dont understand how they haven't tuned him yet.

I'm pretty much sticking to 2v2. Kratos is such a braindead play type. Any game where he is not there ends up being quite enjoyable/

Tagg9

So sick and tired of seeing multi-Kratos in FFA. Is Superbot seriously going to sit on their ass and do nothing? We've known how badly OP'd Kratos is since the beta, I dont understand how they haven't tuned him yet.

It wouldn't hurt to nerf his speed a bit, but honestly his supers really suck except for his Level 3 (and even that can be dodged most of the time).

I actually find Raiden/Dante more annoying with their ~10 second long combos.

I really wouldn't say he is ''badly OP''. All I would do is put little longer startup on his chain grab.

It wouldn't hurt to nerf his speed a bit, but honestly his supers really suck except for his Level 3 (and even that can be dodged most of the time).
I dunno his lvl 2 is pretty good. Lvl one is avarage but not terrible.

This is Toro...

1202842_o.gif

I am such a boss with him now. Well, not all the time, but I can be. Dat nimbleness.

I'm gonna have to move onto someone else soon. Drake perhaps.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm loving this so far. I find myself gravitating towards the Vita version more than the PS3 as it is a great game to play in short bursts, but both look and play great though.

I personally like playing with Sly the most, he seems like a good all rounder, with decent supers.

I haven't explored the local multplayer yet, but having a load of friends over next weekend and we are going to hammer it. My only concern is that I don't think there is any local stat tracking for different people.

I actually find Raiden/Dante more annoying with their ~10 second long combos.

I dont have a problem with his supers, but his actual combat is just way too annoying, and no amount of blocking or dodging can properly deal with him in a FFA match. He has speed, AP, priority, and great versatility, at least one of those should be tweaked. To see 700+ ranked Kratos and two of them no less in FFA just focuses the whole match around him. I've enjoyed playing with GAF the most since they always pick diverse characters.

Guys like Dante dont gain AP too fast, and is much more manageable. When I'm in a decent combo, I can understand that the opponent simply upped me, but not with Kratos.

Kyon

Banned
I'm only a
Superior and Sexy as fuck
Dante user and Ebony and Ivory not doing ANY damage is making me cry. It's so useless

cyborg009

Banned

I'm pretty much sticking to 2v2. Kratos is such a braindead play type. Any game where he is not there ends up being quite enjoyable/

I hate that his attacks take priority over yours........

also PSy this was my screen last night on my while we was playing....
Note: we were playing others in a ranked 2 v 2

ux59W.jpg

JWQJN.jpg

Top Bottom