• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

So I'll ask again, are you sure that's what you want?
Why not? I've never understood the group think around this online - what's the problem with saying 'Bethesda is working on game x, Naughty Dog is working on game y' - it seems like the internet decided it should not be this way, and the companies just went along with it. But it doesn't make any sense to me.

Look at movies, we know when a script is shipped, when it's picked up on an option, when a director is attached, when it enters pre-production, when it's shooting, when it's in post production. We've known they're planning Avatar 4 for at least a decade. We know bands are working on new music. TV companies are developing TV shows... And what they are.

Who cares? How is that worse than wondering about what is going on, and the endless, endless 'company a has no games' console warring that is just exhausting. I'd rather they tell us what they're working on, where they're up to myself... I can be grown up enough to handle delays and even cancellations when thing don't go to plan...

But then I much prefer a trailer to minutes of spoiler filled gameplay, and everyone gets all wadded up about that too...

Not only is xbox releasing more games in future, its also retroactively correcting its mistakes of 2023 like Redfall. And Starfield is looking like its on track to becoming what they intended it to be.

I think at this point we can safely say they had a much better 2023 as well.

Everything will be forgotten when Bluepoint releases the Atreus/Horizon crossover.

iu

⚰️

Added context

2LIiybO.png

GHG

Gold Member
But then I much prefer a trailer to minutes of spoiler filled gameplay, and everyone gets all wadded up about that too...

Sorry, but no thanks. What have we ever gained from smoke and mirrors?

If they can't show something that is representative of what we will actually get to play then it's a grand waste of time.

Topher

Gold Member
Personally my feeling is that over the last few years Sony have put too many resources towards GAAS projects and many of those have ended up in development hell (or been outright cancelled in the case of factions). I'd like to be proven wrong, but there is the potential issue where they don't have much in the way of games that I'd actually be interested in to show right now, which is it's own issue.

What I don't want them to do however is panic and start announcing stuff that is 5/6/7 years leading to perpetual "in engine" trailers for those games at every subsequent annual showcase. I have absolutely no interest in that, and for people who do like that sort of thing then there's a platform (or "ecosystem" as it is now) that will perfectly cater to their needs.

Yeah, don't disagree with any of that, particularly the Gaas emphasis. Very well could have skewed everything a bit which really sucks. Also could be Zheph Zheph is right about this year and they want to highlight their new games on new hardware. I don't want announcements 5+ years ahead of time either. Two years out is ideal in my mind. Three years max to account for issues. That seems reasonable to me.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It looked like gameplay in the same way the original KZ2 reveal looked like gameplay. Would bet my house the final version is a shell of that.
Absolutely not. The Killzone 2 trailer was 100% offline.

What about Perfect Dark didn’t look achievable on Series X hardware?

ToadMan

It is a paradox really - Xbox has games but no sales, Playstation has no games but has sales.

But I guess it does not matter if people are buying console for COD, Fortnite and Minecraft

I actually think it makes perfect sense.

Sony is a consumer electronics company - they make the box and O/S including storefront. PS makes money for Sony predominantly through third party revenues - stuff sold through it's store.

MS bought up a bunch of publishers, they take those games and sell them through Sony's storefront. Both make money from the arrangement.

Sony is, for better or worse a proven provider of consumer electronics - they make games out of necessity, although as it happens they can leverage a lot of that through various media formats these days. MS isn't perhaps as well proven on the scale of publishing ABK stuff, but they have acquired enough companies to have people who know how to do it (assuming they don't fire them all out of hubris).

Sony should be happy with that arrangement. It's up to MS to step up on their part and embrace the platforms they're delivering to. Their show never significantly mentioned Nintendo or Sony platforms, and yet we know those games are going there. MS have to own that side, otherwise they're marketing to a subset of consumers, which in turn limits hype and sales.

The first party games people are wanting for should start arriving next year.
Still had a great year of exclusives this year anyways.
New banger of a Pro system possibly announcing this year.
Will be playing most of those Xbox games anyways.

"fans": fuck you Sony, do better!

The first party games people are wanting for should start arriving next year.
Still had a great year of exclusives this year anyways.
New banger of a Pro system possibly announcing this year.
Will be playing most of those Xbox games anyways.

"fans": fuck you Sony, do better!
They haven't had a good showcase since the PS5 reveal. I'd be annoyed if I were a Sony stan.

Tg89

Absolutely not. The Killzone 2 trailer was 100% offline.

What about Perfect Dark didn’t look achievable on Series X hardware?

Technically nothing they showed is unachievable, it looked good but certainly nothing that can't be done.

It's the moment to moment gameplay that was clearly very very scripted, which makes sense given how far away the game seems, but to me it seemed like a very vertical slice of "this is our vision". Will that play out over the course of a whole game? I'll be surprised.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Technically nothing they showed is unachievable, it looked good but certainly nothing that can't be done.

It's the moment to moment gameplay that was clearly very very scripted, which makes sense given how far away the game seems, but to me it seemed like a very vertical slice of "this is our vision". Will that play out over the course of a whole game? I'll be surprised.
It was a contextualized trailer, using assets that will be in the game.

That’s a far cry from the Killzone 2 trailer. You do understand that?

Tg89

It was a contextualized trailer, using assets that will be in the game.

That’s a far cry from the Killzone 2 trailer. You do understand that?

Sure, semantics. At the end of the day what they showed will not be representative of the final product, like KZ2.

Lokaum D+

lets be real here, as a PS fan, Sony dont put an awesome presentation since 2018, where the fuck is Sony games ? we are 4 years into PS5 life cycle and we dont have a clue on what SSM, ND, SP, Bend, BP are doing, no game, no announcements, no hype, no nothing, atm all the heavy lifting is being done by Insomniac or third party studios that has Sony moneyhat. We only have shit gaas games on our way from first party studios ( the lesser ones ).

Where the awesome first party ( main studios ) games are ?

Xbox showcase was an awesome show, its was games, games, games, games, hype, hype, hype, i miss the old times when Sony was about this, building hype and showing great games.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

No, you are right. They don't need to, but imo they need to show some heavy hitting exclusives from their first party studios. It feels like we haven't seen anything since Wolverine.
People always say this and then Sony delivers once they show their major titles.

People act like there will be a drought until next-gen.

nordique

As a Playstation fan since 1999 I think it's vital that Xbox does well.

Competition is neccesary to keep arrogant Sony in place.
Agree

PS3/360 was peak. Looking back, that era with the Wii was such a good time for gaming

And Sonys challenges brought us the friggin awesome ps4 and it’s exclusive game library.

Last edited:
After every Xbox showcase these days is the same shit. They really forgot about last year and nothing changed (market terms), in fact, MS is the one who changed their approach releasing Xbox games on PS.

These emotional fanboys are so stupid. MS is the only console maker doing big events in june, of course they will be the main center of attention lol. Go play video games and shut up.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Facts are facts, sony has been extremely lax and quite disappointing this gen in terms of game output. Their last show was pathetic and did more harm than good in terms of quelling the worries of their fans. Microsoft have been the butt of jokes the whole gen but credit where credit is due and they probably gave us the best game showcase of this gen and came out swinging. I truly hope this gives sony a kick up their ass so they can actually start showing some games outside of their primary focus on gaas.
It wont. They have gotten complacent like we had all feared. Maybe the gen z fanbase doesnt remember but most of us have seen this play out towards the tail end of the PS2 era. The only difference is that MS has effectively gone third party and Nintendo has effectively left the console business to focus on handhelds that cant run any of these modern games. Leaving sony as the defacto console leader. Sony execs might have claimed that the console war was over in the PS2 era but its pretty much over today in 2024.

Sony is already porting games to PS4, PC, Xbox and Switch. They clearly dont give a shit anymore. This will continue as they have no competition left whatsoever.

Herman really thought that skipping a showcase this year was a good idea. ND, Bend, Sucker Punch, and Bluepoint released games in 2020 and 2019. In 4-5 years you cant even create a pre-rendered inengine trailer like Gears? Just how inept and incompetent do you have to be to be this unproductive? I remember this forum making excuses like covid, work from home, and shortages to excuse sony's first party output in the first half of this gen. Whats the excuse now when even fucking MS run by the worst executive in the history of gaming has gotten their shit together? This was the year we all waited for and they blew it by not even showing up. it's a forfeit in sports terms.

The studios have clearly been mismanaged to hell and back. We know exactly why Bend are unproductive. Herman cancelled Days Gone 2 because he didnt like Days Gone 1, and still had them waste 6 months on a days gone 2 pitch. Then had them waste a year and a half on an uncharted spinoff that went nowhere because of ND's meddling. They didnt start making their new game until April 2021.

Meanwhile ND had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2 and meddled with Bend and VSG studios to get some work. They were able to force out VSG heads and took over a fucking remake when they shouldve been making new games. Then they wasted 5 years on Factions. Then they let Neil go and make a tv show for two years. A mismanagement shitshow if you ask me.

Bluepoint is now showing up as a support studio in Herman's slides so they were probably mismanaged as well. They made Demon Souls in 2.5 years and 4 years later they are only a support studio? This is on herman.

This leaves Sucker Punch who couldnt get a straight sequel to show up at E3 4 years after shipping the last game. Clearly herman did something to them as well. Probably tried to make Ghost a gaas game too.

Jayjayhd34

Sony should be ashamed at there effort right now. MS killed it with there show first time in forever I'm more like excited ms games.

Delete part of this post if you want doing great with hospital life got killer laptop in good health

Last edited:
It wont. They have gotten complacent like we had all feared. Maybe the gen z fanbase doesnt remember but most of us have seen this play out towards the tail end of the PS2 era. The only difference is that MS has effectively gone third party and Nintendo has effectively left the console business to focus on handhelds that cant run any of these modern games. Leaving sony as the defacto console leader. Sony execs might have claimed that the console war was over in the PS2 era but its pretty much over today in 2024.

Sony is already porting games to PS4, PC, Xbox and Switch. They clearly dont give a shit anymore. This will continue as they have no competition left whatsoever.

Herman really thought that skipping a showcase this year was a good idea. ND, Bend, Sucker Punch, and Bluepoint released games in 2020 and 2019. In 4-5 years you cant even create a pre-rendered inengine trailer like Gears? Just how inept and incompetent do you have to be to be this unproductive? I remember this forum making excuses like covid, work from home, and shortages to excuse sony's first party output in the first half of this gen. Whats the excuse now when even fucking MS run by the worst executive in the history of gaming has gotten their shit together? This was the year we all waited for and they blew it by not even showing up. it's a forfeit in sports terms.

The studios have clearly been mismanaged to hell and back. We know exactly why Bend are unproductive. Herman cancelled Days Gone 2 because he didnt like Days Gone 1, and still had them waste 6 months on a days gone 2 pitch. Then had them waste a year and a half on an uncharted spinoff that went nowhere because of ND's meddling. They didnt start making their new game until April 2021.

Meanwhile ND had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2 and meddled with Bend and VSG studios to get some work. They were able to force out VSG heads and took over a fucking remake when they shouldve been making new games. Then they wasted 5 years on Factions. Then they let Neil go and make a tv show for two years. A mismanagement shitshow if you ask me.

Bluepoint is now showing up as a support studio in Herman's slides so they were probably mismanaged as well. They made Demon Souls in 2.5 years and 4 years later they are only a support studio? This is on herman.

This leaves Sucker Punch who couldnt get a straight sequel to show up at E3 4 years after shipping the last game. Clearly herman did something to them as well. Probably tried to make Ghost a gaas game too.

Herman really did fuck everything. Probably your wife too

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Most stuff on xbox conference will be on PlayStation so whats the deal? The GP doesn’t watch these trailers directly from these conferences. Only later on YouTube anyway
It's always more about how it looks than how it is when it comes to these events.

Beyond most of the games being multiplat, PS or otherwise, there's still the fact that they aren't out and that the studio's behind a lot of them are questionable at best. There's no reason to have faith in Fable (lmao "gameplay trailer"), South of Midnight or Perfect Dark. Avowed still looks aggressively mid, as does Indiana.

There's also the fact that most of this stuff was announced 3 or 4 years ago. Of course it's going to be easy to have this kind of showcase (where a lot of/most trailers top out at 2 minutes, I'll add) after that build up and buying two major publishers and making them "first party" in the process.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, hype dopamine is the gaming internet's favorite substance. As if any of this flash and showiness changes the underlying reality of this gen for MS for the last 10 years. People were supposedly impressed by Redfall, remember.

Last edited:

tommib

lets be real here, as a PS fan, Sony dont put an awsome presentation since 2018, where the fuck is Sony games ? we are 4 years into PS5 life cicle and we dont have a clue on what SSM, ND, SP, Bend, BP are doing, no game, no announcements, no hype, no nothing, we only have shit gaas games on our way. Where the awsome single player game are ?

Xbox showcase was a awsome show, its was games, games, games, games, hype, hype, hype, i miss the old times when Sony was about this, building hype and showing great games.
Sony started the generation with a charged load:

Demon’s Souls
Ratchet & Clank
Returnal
Ragnarok
GT7
Forbidden West
FF16
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
SM2

Even recently we got Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Helldivers 2, Rebirth.

It’s just that apart from Astro Bot, there’s really nothing exciting on the pipeline that we know of. Nothing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
According to their own business shareholder report?

The only GaaS specific studios are Haven, Firewalk, and Bungie

That was released a couple of weeks ago. The Insomniac leaks told us they were working on a live service Spider-man game so that hasn't necessarily been the case the last few years.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why should they? Sony hasn’t struggled with games like Microsoft has. This is just the usual hyperbole over what will be meaningless in just a few weeks time. Then the games drop, financials drop, and this is laughed at yet again.

Rinse/Repeat.
Umm for the clients that buy a ps5 to play their first party games?

Especially dudes with a pc that only keep a ps5 for the big first parties.

Stuff like sb are a nice surprises but i was able to play hd2 on my pc so i barely used my ps5 in the past 2 years.

It will, it is all about games. It always was. It is not about gamepass, features or any other thing than games.

If MS delivery a bang after another like it was on 360 days consumers will shift their eyes on them.

They tried everything last 10 years besides great games(with a few excepetions) now they will realize that all that matters are games.

The showcase was great but lets slow down there. We still need to get the games and actually play them. It's one thing to show a great game, it's another thing to actually deliver on a great game.

That was released a couple of weeks ago. The Insomniac leaks told us they were working on a live service Spider-man game so that hasn't necessarily been the case the last few years.

They hired a team for that and then laid people off when they pivoted back to SP only

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They hired a team for that and then laid people off when they pivoted back to SP only

Eh....if you say so. Speculation on my part, but looks to me like resources have been split off to do Gaas shit in the past and they reeled that back in when they realized it wasn't going to work. Definitely glad to see that the business report is showing more defined roles for Sony's single player studios. But I still agree with GHG GHG in that I think it had an impact. No way to know for certain obviously.

I think only gears of war looked interesting, fable and perfect dark went woke and they all are on pc so it doesnt feel special like it did before when it was only on xbox.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Umm for the clients that buy a ps5 to play their first party games?

Especially dudes with a pc that only keep a ps5 for the big first parties.

Stuff like sb are a nice surprises but i was able to play hd2 on my pc so i barely used my ps5 in the past 2 years.
Yeah, I’m one of those clients and have been eating good. I don’t need hype showcases to know that the games are coming.

Nice to haves? Definitely. Not a necessity for owning a platform, particularly when so many of the games are ages from release.

Eh....if you say so. Speculation on my part, but looks to me like resources have been split off to do Gaas shit in the past and they reeled that back in when they realized it wasn't going to work. Definitely glad to see that the business report is showing more defined roles for Sony's single player studios. But I still agree with GHG GHG in that I think it had an impact. No way to know for certain obviously.

Whatever impact it had wasn’t big for anyone outside of ND, but Factions wasn’t mandated by Sony

Insomniac has a pretty aggressive roadmap of SP content

You could argue Bend was also impacted because they went with a new IP instead of Days Gone 2. That IP allegedly has some live service component but we don’t know to what extent

leo-j

the conference was great, but there needs to be consistency from them, sony has a great showcase on the yearly or every other year, with huge games, people just aren;t used to seeing xbox do the same post 360 days, so it is a huge impact when they do, and that's great for the industry.

Top Bottom