• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

KXVXII9X

Fans are fickle. Do they want games shown at two years out and then wait? Or do they want to be shown what is coming out that year? Seems to be whining either way.
They are probably different groups of people. I never minded when Sony showed trailers a few years out as long as they regularly updated us with trailers which I felt they were good at. I also like how Nintendo announces their games usually within a year before release.

I think the main issue of current Sony PR is that they drip feed games. Their lineup isn't as steady or robust as Nintendo to be staying as silent as they do. I thought waiting until a couple months to show gameplay of God of War Ragnarök was ridiculous. I have no issue making an announcement of a game right before release, but I think it is a bad practice to announce a game far out with little to no gameplay and just keep people in the dark for years. This isn't just with Sony. Nintendo and Microsoft also do this with some of their games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, I’m one of those clients and have been eating good. I don’t need hype showcases to know that the games are coming.

Nice to haves? Definitely. Not a necessity for owning a platform, particularly when so many of the games are ages from release.
Good for you.

I loved to have 10 min vertical slices a couple of years before release to get hyped for something, to have something to talk about etc, it was sony way to say "we're fucking cooking".

I recently had a debate about the fact that sony doesn't do that anymore because it was a waste of money and time...well fuck me because they are probably using the same money for something actively negative like sweet baby consultances and wasting money on diversity hiring and games still take a shitload of time to release, so i can safely say that the situation is worse or at least on par with when they were actually doing vertical slices, except now we get forced agenda instead of hype material :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Sony started the generation with a charged load:

Demon’s Souls
Ratchet & Clank
Returnal
Ragnarok
GT7
Forbidden West
FF16
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
SM2

Even recently we got Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Helldivers 2, Rebirth.

It’s just that apart from Astro Bot, there’s really nothing exciting on the pipeline that we know of. Nothing.

Demon’s Souls - the only dev that made a non crossgen game for PS5 aside from Insomniac and Housemark
Ratchet & Clank - Insomniac heavy lifting ( already said that )
Returnal - Housemark was not a big Studio by the time Returnal was made, great game btw.
Ragnarok - Crossgen game, not made for PS5
GT7 - Corssgen game, not made for PS5
Forbidden West - Crossgen game, not made for PS5
FF16 - Third party studio Sony moneyhat
Deathloop - Bethesda game Sony moneyhat
Ghostwire Tokyo - Bethesda game Sony moneyhat
SM2 - Insomniac heavy lifting ( already said that )

Even recently we got :
Stellar Blade - Third party studio, Sony moneyhat.
Rise of the Ronin - Third party Studio, Sony moneyhat.
Helldivers 2 - I ll give u this one.
FF7 Rebirth - Third party Studio, Sony money hat.

U see, i never said that PS5 had no games, i said that all the heavy lifting atm ( since PS5 launch ) is being done by third party studios that Sony paid for exclusivity or by Insomniac, there is absolutily no first part game made by Sony greatest studios exclusively for PS5.

Like u said we have Team Asoby Astro Bot game otw and thats it, this may be the first time that Sony biggest studios ll launch only one game for the entire generation.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Herman really did fuck everything. Probably your wife too
read up on how Herman mismanaged Horizon. After KZ3, they asked the studio to pitch games. Two emerged. Horizon and a vampire shooter. Everyone at the studio wanted to make Horizon so they started it, but then Herman changed his mind and forced people to make the Vampire shooter. Everyone hated it and nothing got done in a year. Eventually he relented and let them go back to Horizon. A year and a half wasted.

Sony saw that and made this guy the head of all studios. Brilliant.

Taur007

Internet whiffed on this one too.

XBox didn't show a single 10 million unit seller. All they showed were a bunch of titles the internet likes but most of them will sell 2 - 4 million copies. It was a filler showcase.

PlayStation is fine. Get clickbaited y'all.
"xbox didnt show a single 10 million seller", guess what? nobody cares cause you CANT PLAY SALES!!!! get a grip

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Good for you.

I loved to have 10 min vertical slices a couple of years before release to get hyped for something, to have something to talk about etc, it was sony way to say "we're fucking cooking".

I recently had a debate about the fact that sony doesn't do that anymore because it was a waste of money and time...well fuck me because they are probably using the same money for something actively negative like sweet baby consultances and wasting money on diversity hiring and games still take a shitload of time to release, so i can safely say that the situation is worse or at least on par with when they were actually doing vertical slices, except now we get forced agenda instead of hype material :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
The speculative stuff is irrelevant.

If showcases are good for you, great, Microsoft just provided that.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Xbox had a great showcase (Age of Mythology cannot come soon enough) but a lot of the games announced yesterday will be making their way to other platforms. Confirmed by Phil himself.
Truth is, Microsoft and Sony are no longer in competition with each other.

Demon’s Souls - the only dev that made a non crossgen game for PS5 aside from Insomniac.
Returnal - Ok

Even recently we got :

U see, i never said that PS5 had no games, i said that all the heavy lifting atm ( since PS5 launch ) is being done by third party studios that Sony paid for exclusivity or by Insomniac, there is absolutily no first part game made by Sony greatest studios exclusively for PS5.

Like u said u, we have Team Asoby Astro Bot game and thats it, this may be te first that Sony biggest studios ll launch only one game for the entire generation.

Add a few more filters to your list. I'm sure we can get rid of all of the games if you put a bit more effort in

KXVXII9X

Microsoft just emptied their entire clip for the next 2.5-3 years with that showcase. People act like Microsoft will be putting out banger after banger. Next year, their only current exclusives are Fable and South of Midnight. I hope Clockwork Revolutions makes it, but its really concerning that game wasnt at the show. No way South of Midnight is anything but a niche game. Fable could be great, but I question whether it will actually be fun to play, as it's Playground Games first attempt at an RPG. Gears 6 and Perfect Dark could be as far as 2027, but could make 2026

If you looked at Xbox Showcase last year, they absolutely smoked PlayStation's Showcase. But with Playstation, I don't think you can argue who is having a better 2024 and most likely 2025
Except they showed other games to be releasing this year at a showing several months back. Do we know this is all they have? There is still a few other Game Conferences this year left.

SaucyJack

It was a very good show from Xbox and I was very pleased to see it. It still needs to translate into delivery though because consistent delivery of games over a prolonged period > a good show

Even without any big first party games in 2024 PlayStation has still managed to keep things ticking over nicely and, presumably, has plenty of first party stuff up their sleeves for '25 and beyond.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It was a very good show from Xbox and I was very pleased to see it. It still needs to translate into delivery, because consistent delivery of games over a prolonged period > a good show

Even without any big first party games in 2024 PlayStation has still managed to keep things ticking over nicely and, presumably, has plenty of first party stuff up their sleeves for '25 and beyond.
Exactly.

Herman really did fuck everything. Probably your wife too

read up on how Herman mismanaged Horizon. After KZ3, they asked the studio to pitch games. Two emerged. Horizon and a vampire shooter. Everyone at the studio wanted to make Horizon so they started it, but then Herman changed his mind and forced people to make the Vampire shooter. Everyone hated it and nothing got done in a year. Eventually he relented and let them go back to Horizon. A year and a half wasted.

Sony saw that and made this guy the head of all studios. Brilliant.

False. It was a competition and they were prototyping new IP

“Mismanaged horizon” jfc…

Fbh

Gold Member
I don't necessarily disagree but this is too little too late from MS.
If they had this level of showcases and games early on in the gen it might have made a difference, but at this point Ps5 will continue dominating in sales and Sony will continue feeling zero pressure.
That's doubly true now that MS is releasing games on Ps5 too.

I wonder how many of these upset fans were super happy whenever Xbox was doing poorly. Well now you got what you wanted, Sony has no real competitor in the console market. What did you think was going to happen?, they were going to have amazing showcases and release 5 AAA first party games every year? why? So you don't go to which competitor?

Topher

Gold Member
Look at the other SP studios. Do you think sucker punch is working on GaaS?

GG is working on Horizon 3

Insomniac is doing Wolverine, SM, and Ratchet in their roadmap

Bluepoint is working on a new SP title

So neither one of us know if any of those studios were working on Gaas at one time or not. That's fine. I just wanted to know if there was factual information about this that I was not aware of. Like I said, it is speculation either way.

Won't PlayStation fans be able to play a lot of those games? It's not like the competition will stop people from buying PS5s. LOL
Maybe... maybe not... What I do know is that every one of those bangers in the show will be on Xbox/PC/GP day and date. You will be in a constant state of "is it going to be on PS" OR you can just play it day/date on PC/Xbox. Who cares what they do with a game that's a year or two old... We will be onto the next thing while you consume scraps like 3rd class citizens haha

Last edited:

Zheph

Demon’s Souls - the only dev that made a non crossgen game for PS5 aside from Insomniac and Housemark
Returnal - Housemark was not a big Studio by the time Returnal was made, great game btw.

Even recently we got :

Like u said we have Team Asoby Astro Bot game otw and thats it, this may be the first time that Sony biggest studios ll launch only one game for the entire generation.
ridicule dude, the games are there end of

have you seen the credits for Stellar Blade? It's 80% Sony staff

So neither one of us know if any of those studios were working on Gaas at one time or not. That's fine. I just wanted to know if there was factual information about this that I was not aware of. Like I said, it is speculation either way.

I’m just saying that Sony has been releasing games every single year from their studios

I don’t quite get the complaints regarding output.

Have they been super tight lipped on the future? Yeah, but that doesn’t mean they have nothing, I expect 2025 will have a lot

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Except they showed other games to be releasing this year at a showing several months back. Do we know this is all they have? There is still a few other Game Conferences this year left.
We know this isn't everything. People are just coping. MS is gigantic now. Double Fine, Project Mara, Clockwork Revolution, Everwild, Outer Worlds 2 at a minimum all have stuff too. 2nd / 3rd party deals on some small stuff also like Towerborne, 33 Immortals, Contraband. Some other indie stuff too like Replaced. Rumors of Halo remake, Fallout 3 / Oblivion remakes or remasters. More racing games at some point. Elder Scrolls in pre-production.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Of course they have games. It's just this guy is always there to spread the positive Sony news whenever it's needed.

I own two PS5s and a pro later this year. I want the big Sony games. You guys should be demanding more from them, not defending them or attacking others.

People always say this and then Sony delivers once they show their major titles.

People act like there will be a drought until next-gen.

Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL you have to understand, that having two—yes, count 'em, two—PS5s and a pro version on the horizon is a real struggle. I mean, who wouldn’t lose sleep over the possibility of all that cutting-edge gaming hardware just sitting there, collecting dust? It’s a crisis, my friend. A crisis! 😂

Topher

Gold Member
I’m just saying that Sony has been releasing games every single year from their studios

I don’t quite get the complaints regarding output.

Have they been super tight lipped on the future? Yeah, but that doesn’t mean they have nothing, I expect 2025 will have a lot

Hopefully we get to see those 2025 games soon.

Lokaum D+

Add a few more filters to your list. I'm sure we can get rid of all of the games if you put a bit more effort in
you joke because u know that is true, Sony always had third party exclusivity deals, PS2 was made on those deals, but Sony always had a shit load of first party games out too, i ll use ND as example and if u go and do some research u ll see that the trend applies to every big Sony first party studio.

Naugty Dog:
PS2 - 4 games
PS3 - 4 games
PS4 - 2 games
PS5 - 0 games ( 2 "remakes" )

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL you have to understand, that having two—yes, count 'em, two—PS5s and a pro version on the horizon is a real struggle. I mean, who wouldn’t lose sleep over the possibility of all that cutting-edge gaming hardware just sitting there, collecting dust? It’s a crisis, my friend. A crisis! 😂

Ngl after buying 2 (soon to be 3) of the same systems, I'd be expecting a lot too.

Otherwise I would be feeling real stupid spending all that money on a platform that doesn't satisfy me.

Then again, that's probably the very reason he bought 2 PS5s to begin with. Lol

Zheph

you joke because u know that is true, Sony always had third party exclusivity deals, PS2 was made on those deals, but Sony always had a shit load of first party games out too, i ll use ND as example and if u go and do some research u ll see that the trend applies to every big Sony first party studio.

Naugty Dog:
PS2 - 4 games
PS3 - 4 games
PS4 - 2 games
PS5 - 0 games
They got a gaas cancelled, what you guys hate so much. It's a W no?

Sony are doing themselves and the game a disservice by not releasing this on PC already. They could probably sell 3x more on PC today then what they have on PS5, where it didn't exactly make the splash they thought it would.

Lokaum D+

You're aware this applies to most developers now, right? What's your point even?
my point is that this fuckers needs to stop smelling their own farts with this "we need to make it bigger", they need to lower game "scope" and start releasing shit, like i said, by the end of this generation Sony biggest studios ll release one game and thats it and as i Sony fan i think this is awfull.

Last edited:
my point is that this fuckers needs to stop smelling their own farts, lower game "scope" and start releasing shit, like i said, by the end of this generation Sony biggest studios ll release one game and thats it and as i Sony fan i think this is awfull.

You're not a Sony fan if you feel the need to slap 10 filters on just to make a shitty point

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Added context

2LIiybO.png

Atreus is PACKING.

Zheph

my point is that this fuckers needs to stop smelling their own farts with this "we need to make it bigger", they need to lower game "scope" and start releasing shit, like i said, by the end of this generation Sony biggest studios ll release one game and thats it and as i Sony fan i think this is awfull.
Can't wait to read the complains when the game is "small"/"not as ambitious"/"what happened to ND man.."

Top Bottom