• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation May Have More High Profile Titles Coming Next Year Apart From Death Stranding 2 and Ghost of Yotei

Doom85

I will not include the PS4 games that got ported to a PS5 like GOW: R and the fake remakes like Last of Us 1 Remake and last of Us 2 remaster or whatever they wanna call them. The same goes for GOW3 remaster since it was a PS3 game on PS4. any remaster game is a cheap ass job to increase the profit but it's not really a new game so it won't count

PS4 Games
- Bloodborne
- God OF war 1
- The last of us 2
- Uncharted 4 and its DLC
- The Order 1886
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Spiderman
- Ratchet and Clank
- Infamous Second son
- Days gone
- Destroid becomes human
- Knack 1 and 2
- GT game
- Gravity Rush 2
- Until Dawn
- Killzone Shadowfall
- Drive club
-The last guardian
- Horizon Zero Dawn

PS5
- GT game
-Spider man 2
-Steller Blade ( adding it to the list because I think the devs are a second-party studio for Sony now so it counts )
-ratchet and clank
- Demon souls
-Returnal
- Astrobot
-Destruction all Stars ( lol )
- Concord ( hahaha )

There are games that were made for PS4 but got a port the same day for the PS5 like GOWR or Horizon Forbidden West. looking at the graphics of these games they are cross-gen games that were in development for PS4 and PS5 got an updated version. but they are Not really PS5 games that take advantage of the PS5 like Concord. so I didn't add these games in either list even though THEY should have been on PS4.

So yeah. it IS poor and pathetic too, to be honest. Sony dropped the ball big time this gen. its an absolute joke.

Wait A Second Hold On GIF by First We Feast

Kind of ignoring context there. The PS5 has been out for 3 years and 10 months. The PS4 gen lasted several years more than that. So if we only count PS4 games released within its first 3 years and 10 months (so up to September 2017), you can’t count a portion of those games: God of War, Last of Us 2, Spider-man, Days Gone, Detroit Become Human, Gran Turismo Sport, and the Shadow of the Colossus game.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Regardless of whatever asterisk people want to put on it, this is the list and I'm probably forgetting some.

It's it not for you? That's fair.

To say it's been poor......is absolutely ridiculous.
Hey, I'm not saying that I agree with any of that. That's just the vibes based rationale. The facts are pretty clear; Sony first party has generally been more productive and consistent at the beginning of a gen than they ever have before. But the way people perceive that is different.

I think it's silly on multiple levels, but I get where it's coming from.

Reactions: XXL
I'm kind of getting sick of this lie that the output on PS5 has been poor.

In the last 2 years (approximately) off the top of my head they have had exclusivity (on console) and/or developed.

Stellar Blade
Rise of Ronin
Spider Man 2
Astro Bot
Final Fantasy 16
Final Fantasy Rebirth
RE7 VR
God of War
Horizon Forbidden West
Horizon VR
Synapse
GT7 and GT7 VR
Helldivers 2

Those are just off the top of my head.

Wtf are we even talking about here?
Leonardo Dicaprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
They’re making death stranding 2 sound like en exclusive, I like ghost of yotei on pc that seems inevitable and of course Sony has exclusives under wraps gamers are sniffing around.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Keep this person as far away from a business as possible.

With the exception of the dumpster fire that was Concord, this year we got Helldivers, Astrobot and a ton of great 3rd party console exclusives.

From a marketing perspective, announcing every first party title you have lined up for the year might generate a ton of temporary hype but it does fuck all for maintaining momentum. And when that temporary hype dies, people start complaining about the same old stuff being shown and “where are the games?”…
As nice as Helldivers and Astrobot are, what people really care about are those third person narrative action adventure titles. No matter how many SonyTemplate memes get posted. They want them consistently, they want them to have fantastic graphics, advanced gameplay a generation removed from the predecessor/previous IP, and they want them to have long and good stories. So really, there have been 3 major full games out of PS 1st party to speak of to any effectual degree:

Horizon FW: Good game with controversial story and "more of the same" for the IP. Not enough to be a mass crowd pleaser.

GoW: Worse writing than the first and a few controversial gameplay changes. Not enough.

Spider-Man 2: Worse story, worse writing, barely improved gameplay. Not enough.

It also doesn't help that all of their stuff is or will be on PC. Exclusivity just increases the perceived value of any game. Simple as that.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Not sure what he's alluding to, but I'm pretty certain Housemarque is going to be ready to go again soon.
Housemarque’s game should be coming in 2026 not next year. Returnal took 4 to 5 years to make and it was released in 2021. They spent a year working on adding co-op and The Tower DLC. And meanwhile they lost Harry Krueger. It’s not coming anytime soon.

midnightAI

I wonder if its the next BP game. Its already been 4 years and next year it will be 5 full years of dev time.

That said, i am pretty sure Yotei gets delayed like AC Shadows, Avowed, and Kingdome Come.
I actually think Ghost is coming sooner than we think (less than 12 months from now)

Most of the list is cross gen, third party, or VR. They apparently don't count.

Spider-Man 2 doesn't do enough with gameplay and the story is worse, so that doesn't really count in Sony's favor either.

Helldivers 2 is multiplayer and has a marginally larger base on PC. That does not benefit people who play on PlayStation.
You must be trolling, or the mental gymnastics to discredit games that Sony offers is getting crazy. This year alone ps5 has Stellar Blade, Helldivers, Rise of Ronnin, Astro Bot, FF Rebirth, Horizon Lego adventures. They also have termporary console exclusives like Silent Hill and Black Myth Wukong. Vr makes this list even longer

Spiderman 2 is the best selling console exclusive for Playstation this generation after Helldivers 2. How does that not work in Sonys favor? lol

This last point is false. Over 70% of Helldivers sales came from Playstation, as was shown during one of their slide presentations for their investors earlier this year. Pc players really believed they were outspending Ps5 owners because they had more concurrent players when most of them wait on sales before they buy any game.

Last edited:

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
DS2, Ghost 2, and Venom would be a great year. People don't realize that the PS4 never had a year with more than 2 big AAA games being released.

And a lot of the concern is because Sony are not announcing games like they used to, 3-4 years away. Astrobot was announced and released 3 months apart, and Ghost 2 only 1 year. Outside of Naughty Dog and their failed gaas game, none of Sony's first party studios are behind schedule, that we know of

Last edited:

nial

Housemarque’s game should be coming in 2026 not next year. Returnal took 4 to 5 years to make and it was released in 2021. They spent a year working on adding co-op and The Tower DLC. And meanwhile they lost Harry Krueger. It’s not coming anytime soon.
Returnal was developed from March 2017 to March 2021, and I doubt the entire studio was working on the updates for one year straight when this is the same people that managed to release two games in the same year (all while making Stormdivers and starting pre-production on Returnal).
Nothing suggests Harry Krueger was directing their new IP either.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Definitely, I just wish we didn't have to wait an entire gen to have a 'next gen' horizon or god of war.

That is unfortunately a byproduct of how long AAA games take to develop these days. Even if a studio gets the dev kit for PS6 two full years before the release of the console, you're still probably waiting 3 years into the gen to get that game. And then when you consider the fact that most devs don't learn how to fully maximize the power of the console until well into the generation, it means we won't get the truly truly next gen games until basically the end of the gen.

W11d

Returnal was developed from March 2017 to March 2021, and I doubt the entire studio was working on the updates for one year straight when this is the same people that managed to release two games in the same year (all while making Stormdivers and starting pre-production on Returnal).
Nothing suggests Harry Krueger was directing their new IP either.
We don't know the scope of their next game. If it's the same size as Returnal or they aiming for something bigger

Last edited:
I was talking about the first party output for the generation . So far the ps5 is a joke compared to the ps4. With games even in shit review scores too .

I will not add third party exclusives because Sony studios are shit this gen to the point Sony had to secure some exclusives from companies they don’t own . If I did that with the ps4 the list will be even be much bigger . Final fantasy remake and rebirth and the rest of these games are just third party titles . Not in the list here
So you say yet you added games like order 1886 and Detroit become human for ps4
Not to mention Sony was supporting the vita too back then and PlayStation VR 1

Where are the VR2 games from Sony directly outside of a gt7 mod and maybe 2 more games ?

Yeah .. I stand by what I said. Sony is garbage this gen . Some people there needs to be fired
VR2 has had more first party support as compared to vr1. VR 1 had like 4 first games in its entire life. For VR2, we already had gt7 and horizon call of the mountain. Vita? Sony almost gave up on that by 2014.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
2013: Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack
2014: DriveClub infamous, lbp3
2015: bloodborne, until dawn, order
2016: unchated 4, ratchet
2017: knack 2, horizon

Still weak compared to PS3 and PS2 but all those games were NOT cross gen and at this point Sony wasn't releasing on any other platforms. I bought PS4 in 2016 to play games not available anywhere else. PS5 doesn't have that value thanks to cross gen and PC releases.
I bought Ps4 around early 2014. I knew that PS3 was done and that there wouldn't be any crossgen right away after seeing Killzone Shadow fall, Infamous and Driveclub.

I still love my PS3 though, and you know why? BECAUSE IT STILL HAS A FUCKING LOAD OF EXCLUSIVES.
The problem now with Ps5 and the Pc ports is that it makes you doubt a bit about buying it. With Ps4 it was: I wanna play this or that and it's Ps4 or nothing.

Also, having crossgen titles and adding them to the "top Ps5 releases" just doesn't do it for me. Ragnarok, Miles Morales and Forbidden West played perfectly fine on my good old and fat Ps4 11 year old hardware already.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
You must be trolling, or the mental gymnastics to discredit games that Sony offers is getting crazy. This year alone ps5 has Stellar Blade, Helldivers, Rise of Ronnin, Astro Bot, FF Rebirth, Horizon Lego adventures. They also have termporary console exclusives like Silent Hill and Black Myth Wukong. Vr makes this list even longer

Spiderman 2 is the best selling console exclusive for Playstation this generation after Helldivers 2. How does that not work in Sonys favor? lol

This last point is false. Over 70% of Helldivers sales came from Playstation, as was shown during one of their slide presentations for their investors earlier this year. Pc players really believed they were outspending Ps5 owners because they had more concurrent players when most of them wait on sales before they buy any game.
Buddy, you misunderstand.
I don't agree with the sentiment. As I said in a previous post; the actual productivity at this time range in the gen for those things people care about or otherwise is higher than ever. I'm just explaining where it comes from, because I do have criticisms of PS this gen.

On Helldivers: I didn't know that. The great Circana informed me is was 60% PC. Is there a source you can give for those IR slides. Far be it from to pass up yet another opportunity to expose just how little PC gamers actually buy games.

On Spider-Man: It works on Sony's financials, yes. In the short term. Valhalla was also Ubisoft's fastest selling AC. Pretty sure the same could've been said for FF13 back in the day. Now we see where both Ubi and Square are with their franchises.

Sorry to say it, but Insomniac Spider-Man is going down the Ratchet&Clank/AC route. Increasingly marginal sequels that even seem to stagnate or backslide in creative, game design and technical ways. We already know they cut out huge chunks of the story because they rushed to release in an otherwise barren 2023. The last thing anyone ones is factory made SM games.

Fans who bought the game are much less enthusiastic going into Spider-Man 3 than they were coming into SM2. And that's a problem.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There's no way they don't have more. We've been waiting years. There's the big showcase in December right. No way all they have to announce first party is ghost of yotei.

nial

Of course. Venom is also scheduled for 2025.

And we may also see a game by either Digital Sumo or Bluepoint.
It isn't, some newer slides showed that they moved the release date to 2027, and after all the lay-offs this year, who knows if it's still coming at all?
I don't know about Sumo Digital and if they're still collaborating with SIE, but I wouldn't call anything by them 'high profile'. Bluepoint isn't making anything substantial at the moment, so it's better to not hope anything there.
That said, I do feel that Naughty Dog's new IP is SIE's big holiday game for next year. I was right assuming a GOT sequel would be coming in 2025, so let's see here.

FrankWza

You can have a mile long list and you will have a mile long rebuttal about how the games "don't count because...."
Or an "I miss ps3 era" (didn't sell 100 mil)
Too many swords and companion games. I hate cars and no interest in VR because motion sickness. Lady jawline no go and I can wait for ff on PC Helldivers ps3 game astrobot nostalgia-play. Gimme parappa and I'll buy 3 pros Sony WTF are you doing!!!
This was my mock post and it comes to reality over and over again

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It isn't, some newer slides showed that they moved the release date to 2027, and after all the lay-offs this year, who knows if it's still coming at all?
Wolverine was shifted to 2027 (or was it 2026), when it was planned to release in 2025. It was pushed because Venom took its place to be released in 2025.
I don't know about Sumo Digital and if they're still collaborating with SIE, but I wouldn't call anything by them 'high profile'.
That's fair. Sumo Digital's game will be a smaller one. And they are collaborating with SIE still. They're working on a console exclusive PS5 game.
Bluepoint isn't making anything substantial at the moment, so it's better to not hope anything there.
I believe they are working on a GOW spin-off Atreus game.
That said, I do feel that Naughty Dog's new IP is SIE's big holiday game for next year. I was right assuming a GOT sequel would be coming in 2025, so let's see here.
I doubt SIE will release ND's new IP next year, only because it's getting crowded already. Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and Marathon are already three heavy-hitters for SIE. With Venom, it'd be 4. ND's would be 5th, which is why I doubt it.

I think ND's and SSM's new IP will be the big games in 2026.

Also, GTA 6 may be releasing in Fall 2025, so everybody will make way for it anyway.

nial

Wolverine was shifted to 2027 (or was it 2026), when it was planned to release in 2025. It was pushed because Venom took its place to be released in 2025.
Wolverine is for 2026, Venom for 2025 was from a 9/23 slide, before they moved it to 2027 in a 11/23 slide.

And as I already said, with all the restructuring that Insomniac had this year, I really doubt that this Venom game is coming out, at all.
That's fair. Sumo Digital's game will be a smaller one. And they are collaborating with SIE still. They're working on a console exclusive PS5 game.
Cool, maybe it's SABA 2.
I believe they are working on a GOW spin-off Atreus game.
With Sony recently considering them a support studio (and they are), I don't see this happening anytime soon.
I doubt SIE will release ND's new IP next year, only because it's getting crowded already. Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and Marathon are already three heavy-hitters for SIE. With Venom, it'd be 4. ND's would be 5th, which is why I doubt it.
Only GoY and DS2, Venom isn't a thing for next year and Marathon is a multiplatform live service game produced and published by Bungie on its own, with many doubting the idea of it managing to launch in 2025.
DS2 for spring, GoY for summer and ND's new IP for fall would be a fantastic lineup in terms of heavy hitters.
I think ND's and SSM's new IP will be the big games in 2026.
Horizon 3 and GT8 are much more likely to be 2026 games than SMS' new IP, honestly.
Also, GTA 6 may be releasing in Fall 2025, so everybody will make way for it anyway.
Not by that much; GTA 6 could be a September release, while ND's new IP can easily be for November.

Top Bottom