• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Hikami

My copy of Demon Gaze arrived on Friday, and I had said I would share some comments on the game as a newcomer.

Have you taken a look at this google doc for Demon Gaze? Should answer your questions on the classes and maybe other stuff you're wondering. It's not a walkthrough or anything, just contains some really useful info.

SerTapTap

I hate timezones. Apparently the embargo for Submerged is up, so here's my video review of that. It's quite good! Short though (I didn't count, more than 4 hours, less than 10), no real reason to replay. Very lovely setting and nice peaceful exploring though.

Might have stuff for Galak Z in a day or two. Impressions/previews have a monday embargo full reviews have a tuesday embargo

Shizuka

As I had mentioned before, the Dungeon Travelers 2 demo was my first experience with DRPGs, and on another member's recommendation, I got Demon Gaze to try out this genre.

m8xVBx.gif

Zephyx

How long is Ar no Surge? Is it your standard JRPG? I'm debating myself whether I should get it over Lost Dimension since I only have budget for one game. I'll get the other one two-three weeks after I get the first game.

Also, any idea when Sen no Kiseki comes out? I hope it doesn't come out at the same week with Danganronpa: AE since I'll be really torn on which game to pick up..

Shizuka

How long is Ar no Surge? Is it your standard JRPG? I'm debating myself whether I should get it over Lost Dimension since I only have budget for one game. I'll get the other one two-three weeks after I get the first game.

I finished it with 45 hours, although you can finish the story in less time. It's definitely not your standard JRPG, there are your twists in the story, gameplay, narrative and world setting. You should read the Ciel nosurge summary before Ar nosurge, but it's not mandatory, it just makes your experience better.

Zephyx

I finished it with 45 hours, although you can finish the story in less time. It's definitely not your standard JRPG, there are your twists in the story, gameplay, narrative and world setting. You should read the Ciel nosurge summary before Ar nosurge, but it's not mandatory, it just makes your experience better.

I actually already read it the time the OT came out but I haven't come around purchasing the game due to limited funds. I'm fine with twists and such as long as there are good characters and a workable story to focus my attention to. I think I'll go with it first. I'll come back in a few weeks or so if I ever need help. Thanks!

Shizuka

I actually already read it the time the OT came out but I haven't come around purchasing the game due to limited funds. I'm fine with twists and such as long as there are good characters and a workable story to focus my attention to. I think I'll go with it first. I'll come back in a few weeks or so if I ever need help. Thanks!

Great choice, you won't regret it. It's my GOTY so far.

Also, any idea when Sen no Kiseki comes out? I hope it doesn't come out at the same week with Danganronpa: AE since I'll be really torn on which game to pick up..

Don't worry about Sen no Kiseki coming out that soon.

Keep fighting the good fight.

I'm secretly proud of getting many gaffers into EO so I know that feel.

Great choice, you won't regret it. It's my GOTY so far.

I didn't know that you liked it THAT much.

I haven't finished it, kill me, Untold 2 comes out in 2 days.

Shmup are so dead that you can be the lead platform with like 5 games.

So far the Xbone has more japanese support than the PS4 with Raiden V, Natsuki Chronicle and Shooting Love Trilogy. Also, Makoto Asada (ex-Cave producer and dev) is still a huge Xbox fanboy even if he's now at Mages. so if he makes some shmup you can bet they're gonna end on the Xbone. I'm curious to see where Cave is gonna go if they ever go back to consoles.

In unrelated news, Mr.Bitcoin is a pretty cool guy.

Must resist urge to buy that hat...

I remember XSEED saying it will arrive by fall but they haven't announced a release date yet, right? I think I'll be purchasing a lot of games this fall so gotta save up some money. :D

They haven't even released Trails: SC, and I really doubt they would want to release another Trails game so soon after that one.

Girl, you're my EO mentor, you should be proud.

I don't feel like I have done anything to deserve that from you. ;-;

Hikami

I'm guessing November.
They would've announced a release date by now if it was that close I'd say. There's also this, they haven't released trails in the sky sc yet, and they haven't really been giving much info/marketing on cold steel (localization blogs, trailers, social media posts etc.) So yeah, not any time soon.

Shmup are so dead that you can be the lead platform with like 5 games.
:(

So far the Xbone has more japanese support than the PS4 with Raiden V, Natsuki Chronicle and Shooting Love Trilogy. Also, Makoto Asada (ex-Cave producer and dev) is still a huge Xbox fanboy even if he's now at Mages. so if he makes some shmup you can bet they're gonna end on the Xbone. I'm curious to see where Cave is gonna go if they ever go back to consoles.
I haven't been paying as much attention to the genre recently as I had in past years, but I think they are gone for good. As are most other well-known Japanese shmup makers. Likely for the reason you state above.

My comment was more in tune to, it seems like there's a new shmup or run n' gun style game being announced or released for PS4 (usually along side a PC/Steam announcement/release) every couple of weeks. Granted, these are usually indie titles, but that is what will hold the genre up this generation.

Producer

I haven't been paying as much attention to the genre recently as I had in past years, but I think they are gone for good. As are most other well-known Japanese shmup makers. Likely for the reason you state above.

My comment was more in tune to, it seems like there's a new shmup or run n' gun style game being announced or released for PS4 (usually along side a PC/Steam announcement/release) every couple of weeks. Granted, these are usually indie titles, but that is what will hold the genre up this generation.

Nah they aren't gone. Stuff like Raiden 4, Darius Burst, Triangle Service games are coming to PC. Touhou 15 coming out in a few weeks. Theres also been PS4 ports like Astebreed and Caladrius. Maybe all of this recent activity will encourage G.rev to make a new game or at least port to PS4/PC.

Is this .. real? Someone hold me.

I'm very happy with this. I loved G-Darius, never got around to trying Dariusburst on PSP but might as well play this version now!

THAT looks amazing :D! Its visuals and gameplay look to mirror Ar no Surge in a number of areas......and with me really wanting to try Ar no Surge out this fall, I know I have to get this game in the future :).

It looks great, but I'm worried how it'll run on Vita. All of Gust's other stuff has had massive slowdown, even for turn-based games, so I'm worried this is going to be worse and it's action based. If so, might buy on PS4 instead.

VLiberty

I'm willing to buy RERev2 on Vita, but I have this issue: on my Memory Card I actually have SAO:HF. Even if I've beaten it, I'd like to just keep my save without having the whole game copied on my PC. Do you think there's a method to just copy the save without PS Plus?

You could copy the game and delete everything bar the "savegame" folder.

If you want to copy the savegame back, move it to another folder, download the game again, copy it on PC and then swap the savegame folder. It worked some time ago, but it's been a while since then and I've never used it again.

I stumbled across this interview with Yoshida today:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...hida-talks-vita-psp-lessons-and-nintendo.aspx

From just before Vita's launch. Goes to show just how much rubbish Yoshida was spouting around that time:

What would you say is the most important thing Sony learned from the original PSP?
There are many lessons we have learned, but if you ask me to pick one lesson… Before the launch, as far as the hardware goes we didn’t put enough resources in the hardware to allow us to develop games that are unique to the PSP compared to home consoles. We had many products on PSP, but most of these games like God of War [Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta] came from the console. Basically, you can play a bigger, better version of these titles on PS3. So pre-launch of PSP we were too happy with having the basic capability of PS2-class games to play on PSP, in terms of the screen and CPU/GPU. But after the launch and a few years time, just having pretty graphics isn’t enough. Especially when you can play a bigger, better game on home consoles. That’s the one big lesson when we designed the PS Vita. Because it is portable and because it’s a new technological development, we can put a touchscreen, touchpad, cameras, GPS, or 3G capabilities. We made sure that developers will be able to make use of these features that are unique to portable systems, so that with games we can continue to produce something very exciting that you cannot find on games on home console. So that’s one lesson.

The second lesson comes post-launch of the PSP. Because we shifted development resources to the PS3 launch, we kind of stopped supporting PSP games post-launch. That was a big mistake, because we didn’t realize that third-party developers were doing the same because they were working on the new launch of software on the PS3, Nintendo Wii, and Xbox 360 as well. So going into the PS Vita, because it’s our second time, we are making sure that we won’t make the same mistakes, meaning that we’ll continue to support PS Vita with a stream of good titles through release. So I pick these two as the lessons learned from PSP. I would also say that security and piracy was a problem with the PSP as well, and that will be fortified with PS Vita.

Two lessons learnt from PSP: too much home console-esque stuff and not enough post-launch support. Fast forward to 3 years after launch, bugger all support from Sony and the only notable game we are getting this year is a port of a home console title.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but it's depressingly amusing to read something like this.

VLiberty

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...hida-talks-vita-psp-lessons-and-nintendo.aspx

From just before Vita's launch. Goes to show just how much rubbish Yoshida was spouting around that time:

What would you say is the most important thing Sony learned from the original PSP?
There are many lessons we have learned, but if you ask me to pick one lesson… Before the launch, as far as the hardware goes we didn’t put enough resources in the hardware to allow us to develop games that are unique to the PSP compared to home consoles. We had many products on PSP, but most of these games like God of War [Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta] came from the console. Basically, you can play a bigger, better version of these titles on PS3. So pre-launch of PSP we were too happy with having the basic capability of PS2-class games to play on PSP, in terms of the screen and CPU/GPU. But after the launch and a few years time, just having pretty graphics isn’t enough. Especially when you can play a bigger, better game on home consoles. That’s the one big lesson when we designed the PS Vita. Because it is portable and because it’s a new technological development, we can put a touchscreen, touchpad, cameras, GPS, or 3G capabilities. We made sure that developers will be able to make use of these features that are unique to portable systems, so that with games we can continue to produce something very exciting that you cannot find on games on home console. So that’s one lesson.

The second lesson comes post-launch of the PSP. Because we shifted development resources to the PS3 launch, we kind of stopped supporting PSP games post-launch. That was a big mistake, because we didn’t realize that third-party developers were doing the same because they were working on the new launch of software on the PS3, Nintendo Wii, and Xbox 360 as well. So going into the PS Vita, because it’s our second time, we are making sure that we won’t make the same mistakes, meaning that we’ll continue to support PS Vita with a stream of good titles through release. So I pick these two as the lessons learned from PSP. I would also say that security and piracy was a problem with the PSP as well, and that will be fortified with PS Vita.

Two lessons learnt from PSP: too much home console-esque stuff and not enough post-launch support. Fast forward to 3 years after launch, bugger all support from Sony and the only notable game we are getting this year is a port of a home console title.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but it's depressingly amusing to read something like this.

What makes me really sad is how they shat on PSP itself just to make Vita look better to the ********* that used to say "meh I hope it's not gonna end up like PSP" around the time Vita was announced. Guess what, it has not, and now all those people are wishing it was another PSP :) it's true that you don't realize what you have got until you lose it

SerTapTap

Surprising amount of cool stuff launching this week,at least on PS4

Interested in Valkyrie Drive but I'm not sure I can go back to Vita after playing Estival Versus on PS4.

DOA5LR will get Falcom collaboration costumes.

yep

I'm sure they'll be uncanny valley horror shows much like the Senran Kagura ones. Eesh.

SerTapTap

The impressions embargo isn't quite up yet but Kotaku has a 10 things you need to know article on Galak Z. Don't read the last one if you don't want spoilers, though it's already been spoiled before.

I'll be honest, and maybe it's just me but this game looks a bit... Idk stiff? Not that it really matters since this is turn based but the animations seem so mechanical.

Side effect of a game designed for 30 FPS being seen in 60 FPS? I noticed animations "feel" a lot better in Neptunia Victory 2 than the Rebirth games on PC even though both are 60 FPS, might just be because only one was designed with 60 FPS in mind

The proportions are a bit weird, I'm not (entirely) a hater of Chibi, but this is a really weird in-between situation. And I really like the look of FF World which is arguably a bit too far on the "big head" side of the chibi spectrum.

Side effect of a game designed for 30 FPS being seen in 60 FPS? I noticed animations "feel" a lot better in Neptunia Victory 2 than the Rebirth games on PC even though both are 60 FPS, might just be because only one was designed with 60 FPS in mind

The proportions are a bit weird, I'm not (entirely) a hater of Chibi, but this is a really weird in-between situation. And I really like the look of FF World which is arguably a bit too far on the "big head" side of the chibi spectrum.
Yeah the thing is chibi is supposed to be small and "cute" like idk, Bravely Default for example, or FE. This is just... Idk what it is lol. I'm not a big fan of the character design in game. The portraits and 2D art look great, the game itself does a disservice to that art in my opinion.

RK128

It looks great, but I'm worried how it'll run on Vita. All of Gust's other stuff has had massive slowdown, even for turn-based games, so I'm worried this is going to be worse and it's action based. If so, might buy on PS4 instead.

I think the game should be okay running wise on Vita; Ar No Surge Plus was a direct port of the PS3 game and the Atller games (I think?) are expanded remasters of the original PS3 games. Point is, they use the PS3 as a base and then port that base to the Vita with minor optimization.

With this new game, its coming to three platforms (Vita/PS3/PS4) so while the Vita will face some slowdown and/or frame rate issues, it should be more stable then prior Vita games due to being made in mind for multi-console development.

Ah, a time where Sony wanted to sell Vitas....feels like ages ago :').

To be serious, that is a common trick people use to sell products; crap on the old one's issues to make the new product sound better. Ubisoft is doing it with AC Syndicate (shitting on Unity) and Peter did that ALOT with the Fable series over the years. Sony doing it with the Vita close to its launch isn't that unrealistic when it is a trick that does work well.

Oh look, The Strain gives the Vita some on-screen love too;

PS;
This kid's definitely a nerd.

Great to see the Vita get more media presence :D. I never used mine for music playing though.....guess I should try that at some point XD.

Wow, it looks like a mix of Child of Light thanks to that over-world exploration. The character models still look a bit off, but they look a lot better in motion then in stills :).

I'm looking to upgrade my PS3 HDD to a 1TB one, and I just want to make sure I don't screw up the process. Am I right with this?:

1. Back up everything with PS Plus (manually because select all doesn't work), put PSone saves on my Vita, and sync trophies.

2. Delete everything from the system because I'd sooner redownload things and play on other things while I wait as opposed to sitting for 18 hours waiting for a bar to fill up.

3. Replace the HDD. Which'll be a laugh.

4. Put the latest firmware on a USB stick and update the PS3.

5. Smile???

How will I get my user/s back though, do I manually recreate them with the same names, or will I have to back those up before I replace it? My main use got all screwy when the PS3 decided to take a fit once and showed a red (I think) screen so now it's *User1 instead of just User1. That won't cause any problems, will it?

RK128

I'm looking to upgrade my PS3 HDD to a 1TB one, and I just want to make sure I don't screw up the process. Am I right with this?:

1. Back up everything with PS Plus (manually because select all doesn't work), put PSone saves on my Vita, and sync trophies.

2. Delete everything from the system because I'd sooner redownload things and play on other things while I wait as opposed to sitting for 18 hours waiting for a bar to fill up.

3. Replace the HDD. Which'll be a laugh.

4. Put the latest firmware on a USB stick and update the PS3.

5. Smile???

How will I get my user/s back though, do I manually recreate them with the same names, or will I have to back those up before I replace it? My main use got all screwy when the PS3 decided to take a fit once and showed a red (I think) screen so now it's *User1 instead of just User1. That won't cause any problems, will it?

That sounds like a good move; your saves in the cloud while your PS1 saves are in your Vita, and with the HHD being wiped clean, you can move over to the new one very quicly :).

Don't know about the users but if you have PSN Accounts attached to any of them, make sure you remember the email/passwords linked to them, that way you can just make new users and sign into the PSN Accounts you have.

SerTapTap

IIRC restoring a backup includes the users. Worst case, recreate the "local" users (meaningless) and tie them to the PSN accounts (meaningful, but all important data is online anyway)

The only scary part of PS3 backups is the crazy few games that lock saves (IIRC killzone 2 does this), and PS1/PS2 game saves which won't restore if it's not the exact same PS4. I hate how the PS3 handles PS1/2 saves. On the plus side, you can manually copy them to a USB stick and use them in emulators though

Benedict

IIRC restoring a backup includes the users. Worst case, recreate the "local" users (meaningless) and tie them to the PSN accounts (meaningful, but all important data is online anyway)

The only scary part of PS3 backups is the crazy few games that lock saves (IIRC killzone 2 does this), and PS1/PS2 game saves which won't restore if it's not the exact same PS4. I hate how the PS3 handles PS1/2 saves. On the plus side, you can manually copy them to a USB stick and use them in emulators though

Not on a Vita?

Saphirax

More people need to play Tears to Tiara 2. If you have a PS3 and even the slightest of interests in visual novels and/or srpgs you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Worried about length? It's really long, but don't worry you can skip the conversations with the press of a button...or two.

Not a fan of srpgs? You've three difficulty options, plus you can train your characters in Free Stages before almost every battle. There's also a Rewind option, so if you mess up, instead of having to repeat the whole battle you just rewind to the previous turn! Easy peasy.

Chose the wrong character? Worry not, 90% of the time you can switch said character out and replace them with someone else.

Want a challenge? Play on Hard where your enemies are mercilessly ganging up on your weakest characters, where you earn half xp and sp and where your accuracy is so low you'll weep tears of joy whenever you land an attack; all that whilst completing all bonus objectives on each stage and getting an S rank.

It also has a cast full of memorable characters. Such as this cute little elephant that serves as as excellent enemy blockade and a good tank:

Or this girl wielding a gigantic hammer that she can magically hide under her cloak who has never killed any-

Give it a try! If only so that one day you could be as awesome as this mage who spends 98% of the time with his eyes closed and a smile on his face.

SerTapTap

More people need to play Tears to Tiara 2. If you have a PS3 and even the slightest of interests in visual novels and/or srpgs you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Sounds need-the art style looks pretty good in that ingame shot. My PS3 will take years to decommission. Not sure how many JP games I still have to go through. Was enjoying Battle Princess of Arcadias but never finished it.

Not on a Vita?

PS1 game saves you mean? Uhhhh I'm not sure about that. You can harvest them from PSP's file structure, I think the Vita's is the same for them, but I'm not sure if it encrypts them when it copies them to PC or anything. PS3 and PSP don't for sure.

That sounds like a good move; your saves in the cloud while your PS1 saves are in your Vita, and with the HHD being wiped clean, you can move over to the new one very quicly :).

Don't know about the users but if you have PSN Accounts attached to any of them, make sure you remember the email/passwords linked to them, that way you can just make new users and sign into the PSN Accounts you have.

Sweet, thanks.
Also, are there any other games like the LBP games (maybe Modnation perhaps) that have weird ways of storing your profile? Like in LBP your profile is saved in game data not saved data, and you have to manually save it out as a save file from the game itself.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bought demon gaze and i like it, but i think i have found a "good for everything" combination.

Gazer: mostly slash 2
Paladin: devotion
samurai: slash 3
healer: mostly holy shield, change mp with wizard when the wizard is finishing them(the healer recharges mps), heals very very rarely
wizard: fast cast + quad bolt against boss, wizard bolt otherwise

In addition to those against bosses i obviously use some de/buffs and some attack skills that require concentration.

Everything was really easy but now i'm blocked at what i guess is the second last boss that heals more than 5k hps but what's worst is that i can only do two digits damages even when i strip its buffs.

We'll see...

I bought Akiba's trip retail at gamestop for 21 euros, i hope i'll like it!

I was tempted to buy FFX/X-2(for 30) + Tales of Heart R(for 25) + Disgaea 4(for 20) for 55 euros(3x2 for what are 4 games XD) but then i thought that the only game i could have liked was TOHR, i hate the ATB system and for some reason i don't like disgaea, better saving the money.

Have you taken a look at this google doc for Demon Gaze? Should answer your questions on the classes and maybe other stuff you're wondering. It's not a walkthrough or anything, just contains some really useful info.

I don't know if i should be sad or relieved to have missed this guide, i had(and still have) many questions but going blind and finding my own strategies in the end is what makes playing fun and satisfying, especially rpgs with party.

SerTapTap

Akiba's trip for $20~? Sounds like a good deal. I got a PC review copy and haven't been able to play it for more than an hour without crashing. The humor seems perfect to my taste though I can see the gameplay getting old. If I could actually play it. Definitely sticking to console review copies of japanese games

Sweet, thanks.
Also, are there any other games like the LBP games (maybe Modnation perhaps) that have weird ways of storing your profile? Like in LBP your profile is saved in game data not saved data, and you have to manually save it out as a save file from the game itself.

I forgot that was even a thing so I'm not sure. PS3 sure was weird about how it saved stuff.

I bought demon gaze and i like it, but i think i have found a "good for everything" combination.

Gazer: mostly slash 2
Paladin: devotion
samurai: slash 3
healer: mostly holy shield, change mp with wizard when the wizard is finishing them(the healer recharges mps), heals very very rarely
wizard: fast cast + quad bolt against boss, wizard bolt otherwise

In addition to those against bosses i obviously use some de/buffs and some attack skills that require concentration.

Everything was really easy but now i'm blocked at what i guess is the second last boss that heals more than 5k hps but what's worst is that i can only do two digits damages even when i strip its buffs.

We'll see...

I bought Akiba's trip retail at gamestop for 21 euros, i hope i'll like it!

I was tempted to buy FFX/X-2(for 30) + Tales of Heart R(for 25) + Disgaea 4(for 20) for 55 euros(3x2 for what are 4 games XD) but then i thought that the only game i could have liked was TOHR, i hate the ATB system and for some reason i don't like disgaea, better saving the money.

I don't know if i should be sad or relieved to have missed this guide, i had(and still have) many questions but going blind and finding my own strategies in the end is what makes playing fun and satisfying, especially rpgs with party.

FFX is strictly turn-based, no ATB. X-2 is very ATB though.

Top Bottom