• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

Clive

What's the word on Mighty No.9 for the Vita? I remember hearing "at a later date" but not any release window at all for it. Play-Asia has a February release date for a physical Asian version and if that was true then I'd go for the Vita version instead of the PS4. Feels unlikely though, right?

RK128

Most of the canceled games do not fit these criteria. They either were still unreleased on any system, or had a succesful PC version. The only exception is Never Alone, which was actually announced on Vita after it released on the other systems.

It does mean a lot, if we went from a handful of cancelations here and there over 3 years to this.

I'm bitter because, as someone who doesn't like most of the japanese games (especially the nichest ones), my Vita is fuelled by indie games. And it's great, becuase I love indies and the devs have done a great job bringing them over here in the past 4 years. But in the past months the system has only got a fraction of the announcements it used to get as far as indie games go - fine, the system is becoming old and was never succesful in the first place, obviously it can be supported forever. But the games we were supposed to get? No way, those must be released, unless serious problems occur. And no, I won't believe that everyone is now having huge, unsurmountable technical issues that prevent games to come out after 4 years of games regularly coming out.

We're getting way less announcements and more cancelations, it's perfectly fine to be concerned.
I might be wrong and all the devs have been honest about the lack of feasibility to port their previously announced games on Vita, I don't know, but for what I'm seeing I'm not believing them(not all of them, at least).

You bring up a lot of great points and I would agree that we should be worried. I play indies a lot on my Vita but since 2014, been open to playing any JP games on Vita (and this pushes me into trying new genre's or game series I never considered in the past); more okay with indie's slowly withdrawing support because of the amount of JP games coming.

But for people not into many JP games? I agree that its time to be worried, as we got a few cancellations in just the past few weeks (I think....five-six games?) and we could be getting more. That is not a good thing and that is a shame.

If we are loud enough, Sony and the Third Party Productions team can help some indies out with bringing there games to Vita if its technical issues but if it isn't that.....then I guess they don't care about the platform anymore.

Not a Hero for example, being scrapped on Vita was an honest surprise to me considering how it mirrored Hotline Miami with its visual style (and its more simple then that), so unless the engine was horribly put together, then they just scrapped the Vita port to save costs and push the PS4 version out faster.

I honestly picture 2016 as the last year we get a massive amount of games released on the Vita; JP developers/publishers releasing their last major wave of localization's outside of some specific cases (Dangrompna 3, Summon Night 6, Ys, ect) and Indie developers completely dropping the platform in favor of the NX/PC/PS4 early next year with only a handful of exceptions (Bloodstained being a big example) and a few Kickstarter projects with Vita Stretch Goals.

And I say this as a person who really loves his Vita :(. But the Vita had a massive amount of indie games and as they get more & more demanding, it makes sense to start cutting some cords in favor of other platforms. I hate saying that, as I want the Vita to get support for as long as it can get, but the picture being painted here shows that while 2016 looks great for the console, 2017 is a lot more mysterious for the platform.

One advantage that the Vita has over, say, the 3DS line is that Sony ISN'T making another handheld like how Nintendo is in the next year or two. This will push JP and Indie developers to keep making software on the platform for at least another year or two after 2016.

My point is that while its a damn shame more & more indie games are being scrapped on Vita, a lot still is coming and due to a lot of factors (Vita being Sony's last handheld, developers/JP publishers liking the platform, indie games selling very well on Vita, developers active with Vita community, ect), the system will get support in the future.

The only issue is that we have no idea what the system's future is post 2016 outside of some key games:
-Ys
-Dangrompa 3
-Summon Night 6
-Bloodstained
-Various Kickstarters with Vita Stretch Goals
-Whatever announcements Sony has during PSX/Gamescom/Paris Games Week/E3
-Various announcements throughout the year (like in 2013-2015)

DfieDt5.jpg

Unmechanical: Extended PS4 - As a big fan of Rochard, which it I heard it compared to, I thought I would like this but this game just doesn't have the same charm as Rochard. Rochard had an interesting character versus Unmechanical that just has a voiceless blob going through and environment solving puzzles. Not bad but puzzle games need more to hold my interest these days.

433z8K7.jpg

Tharsis PS4 - This game is like a cross between FTL and Yahtzee. The "tutorial" is a collection of a few tool tips that doesn't explain 10% of the game. Luckily it isn't that complicated that after 4 or 5 attempts it starts to click. Once you do understand what is going on you realize your pass or fail is mostly determined by random draws. Random events are brutal and the game seems almost impossible even on normal. Very much like Klondike solitaire in that sometimes you draw a hand that is impossible no matter what you do. Everything about it is pleasing to the eyes. An undo button on dice placement would be very much welcome. Still very addicting and I keep trying despite never reaching the end of this game. Get it for $12 with the current PS+ discount.

incpdo

Vitagaffers i love you guys but i think you are overreacting about the cancellations of vita games. I understand Vita is always on the verge of extinction but I don't see this announcements as an indicator of anything more than technical problems creating ports . none of these companies mentioned they will not support Vita. In fact for example devolver digital said they will bring more games. The problem is the games and the engines they have use to create them. They simply are not worth the effort from a technical and profitable standpoint.
Its being just 17 days since the year started and having a bunch of cancellation announcements at the beginning of the year is nothing but logical to me. You start a year with resolutions and actions , from there you continue. Not having enough announcements in this 17 days doesn't mean shit. We had a lot of announcements before the year ends. So , please vitagaffers don't freak out, there's plenty to look forward.

0Q1GZZf.jpg

Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Beta PS4 - They have been touting an open world single player experience but everything is blocked off so it just seems like a lot of the functionality that was in a menu is now something you gotta walk around a hub world to do. Added 3 new classes to bring it up to 7 for each side. It is hard to tell if they balanced the asymmetric sides as well as they did in the first one with the limited time I played. Basically this is more Garden Warfare but the action seems more chaotic and it was hard to tell what was going on. Seems like more crazy supers given at a faster rate. I played a lot of the first one but I am not sure I need this one.

VLiberty

Vitagaffers i love you guys but i think you are overreacting about the cancellations of vita games. I understand Vita is always on the verge of extinction but I don't see this announcements as an indicator of anything more than technical problems creating ports . none of these companies mentioned they will not support Vita. In fact for example devolver digital said they will bring more games. The problem is the games and the engines they have use to create them. They simply are not worth the effort from a technical and profitable standpoint.
Its being just 17 days since the year started and having a bunch of cancellation announcements at the beginning of the year is nothing but logical to me. You start a year with resolutions and actions , from there you continue. Not having enough announcements in this 17 days doesn't mean shit. We had a lot of announcements before the year ends. So , please vitagaffers don't freak out, there's plenty to look forward.

As for Devolver: I care about facts, not words. Most of their announcements in the past months aren't featuring a Vita versions. And I'm also talking about technically low-end games. And Not a Hero is not the first canceled game from them. Devolver's behaviour is currently one opf the biggest reasons I'm worried about indie support.(and why I don't believe NaH's technical issues, coupled with the shameless PSBlog post about it)

And I wasn't talking about those 17 days when I said that we aren't getting a lot of new indie games. It's been a thing for more than half a year now. Most of the new indies announced on PSBlog only feature a PS4 version, and PGW and PSX have been disappointing compared to PSX 14 and the past Gamescoms. I've always been positive about Vita, it's not like I'm some of those anti Vita troll, but if something is worrying I can't pretend it's all fine.
Although it's probably for the best if I don't keep talking about this. I just hope there won't be many more chances to talk about canceled indie games...

Massa

0Q1GZZf.jpg

Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Beta PS4 - They have been touting an open world single player experience but everything is blocked off so it just seems like a lot of the functionality that was in a menu is now something you gotta walk around a hub world to do. Added 3 new classes to bring it up to 7 for each side. It is hard to tell if they balanced the asymmetric sides as well as they did in the first one with the limited time I played. Basically this is more Garden Warfare but the action seems more chaotic and it was hard to tell what was going on. Seems like more crazy supers given at a faster rate. I played a lot of the first one but I am not sure I need this one.

Having to walk around instead of using a menu is so annoying.

Also completely agree with you on the chaos, the game looks so busy most of the time. I had a lot more fun with the first one.

incpdo

As for Devolver: I care about facts, not words. Most of their announcements in the past months aren't featuring a Vita versions. And I'm also talking about technically low-end games. And Not a Hero is not the first canceled game from them. Devolver's behaviour is currently one opf the biggest reasons I'm worried about indie support.(and why I don't believe NaH's technical issues, coupled with the shameless PSBlog post about it)

And I wasn't talking about those 17 days when I said that we aren't getting a lot of new indie games. It's been a thing for more than half a year now. Most of the new indies announced on PSBlog only feature a PS4 version, and PGW and PSX have been disappointing compared to PSX 14 and the past Gamescoms. I've always been positive about Vita, it's not like I'm some of those anti Vita troll, but if something is worrying I can't pretend it's all fine.
Although it's probably for the best if I don't keep talking about this. I just hope there won't be many more chances to talk about canceled indie games...
What I don't get is why you took my comment as it were aimed at you specifically. Let me tell you : is not.
If you are saying we werent getting new indie games in the last 6 months or even announcements then I don't know were you get your information. There are less articles on the PS blog talking about new Vita games yes. But I happen to have bought a lot of the new games we got the last quarter of 2015. Idk.
I still think this is a overreaction. But of course that's my personal opinion.

Having to walk around instead of using a menu is so annoying.

Also completely agree with you on the chaos, the game looks so busy most of the time. I had a lot more fun with the first one.

Yeah after reading the beta thread the consensus seems to be that it isn't as good. Maybe they will retune but "beta" these days means pre-release demo. This might be a beta backfire for sales.

bobohoro

New Year's Eve was so busy, I even forgot to subscribe to the new thread. :O

Finally finishing up TitS SC, after Xenoblade Chronicles got in the way. Will be tough parting ways with the cast.

Now I just need to decide what comes next. I'm kinda hesitating jumping into Cold Steel so soon after, but Escha & Logy doesn't look quite as appealing. And then there is Cyber Sleuth on the horizon, which looks like a great RPG, even for someone not interested in Digimon. And I'm pretty sure I only got time for one of the three over the next couple of weeks.

RK128

Mutant Blobs is really fun. A dollar well spent, great for pick up and play.

That game was fun :). Never beat it but I liked my time with it and a good sign of DrinkBox's talent prior to Guacamelee (and that game is hands down one of my favorite indie games on Vita).

incpdo

That game was fun :). Never beat it but I liked my time with it and a good sign of DrinkBox's talent prior to Guacamelee (and that game is hands down one of my favorite indie games on Vita).
You should beat it the game is short but the ending levels and that retro vibe are great.

RK128

You should beat it the game is short but the ending levels and that retro vibe are great.

Will throw it into the massive backlog I have for sure now incpdo XD!

Edit: Been playing a lot of games randomly on my Vita and I'm having a blast doing that :).

Crash Team Racing is a blast so far, as the game feels 'just' right; the killer drifting system, how the items work, the great presentation of the game and the very strong track design. Considering Naughty Dog never made a kart racer, its damn impressive CTR has such strong track design :D. The adventure mode is cool and it gives me a lot to do. Will add this into the rotation of games I play and aim to play more of this throughout the year.

Nihilumbra is one of the Plus games for this month and man did is surprise me. The presentation looks great, with such great usage of shadows, colors and gradiants. Really paints this vivid world for you to explore. The soundtrack sounds amazing too, as it has great quality to it in addition to the game really hitting the feels at a few points (the Ice World really hits this for me).

The gameplay mechanics are cool to, as they felt like it added to the puzzle design. You have different colors and they do unique things; Green lets you and other object bounce while Blue lets things move faster/side across the ground. There are other colors but these are the two I unlocked so far. They create a lot of great puzzles to solve in addition to making the game have a few ways to navigate (ex: Using the Blue Color to make your character move faster). Also love how you draw them on the touch screen; feels responsive and works very well.

The story seems interesting, with the narrator sounding good. But I just love the gameplay, presentation and overall feel of the game so far. Nice gem within the PS+ line up this month :).

Also playing a lot of Tetris Ultimate on and off; a lot of fun playing Marathon mode for a few minutes at a time :D.

Minutes is also another indie game I got a while back and its cool; you let lines absorb into your circle but you cant let black lines do this a lot (or you die). Power Ups and size shifting makes things more interesting alongside new types of things to absorb (little orbs that shift between color and black). Got it for a buck or so during the Holiday Sale, so its well worth it so far :).

Ar No Surge Plus I talked about a lot in the past but overall the game is great so far :D.
-Very strong OST
-Story has a lot of depth to it
-Very likable cast and really great localization
-Combat system is something I really like so far (mixing the Mario RPG's with the Card System from KH: CoM (have X amount of times to use an ability/attack/ect)).

Looking forward to playing more of this :).

Grim Fandango, Broken Age, OilOil2 and a few other games (Velocity X2 for example) are up next once I beat these handful of games.

VLiberty

Mutant Blobs Attack is absolutely amazing, I've hoped for a port of AaB for ages :(

What I don't get is why you took my comment as it were aimed at you specifically. Let me tell you : is not.
If you are saying we werent getting new indie games in the last 6 months or even announcements then I don't know were you get your information. There are less articles on the PS blog talking about new Vita games yes. But I happen to have bought a lot of the new games we got the last quarter of 2015. Idk.
I still think this is a overreaction. But of course that's my personal opinion.
Hopefully you're right and I'm just overreacting. From my point of view the outlook is not good.

EDIT:really RK? I thought you'd already played Velocity!
Hopefully you'll bump V2X on top of your backlog, it's a masterpiece.

They've just added the daily challenges

RK128

Mutant Blobs Attack is absolutely amazing, I've hoped for a port of AaB for ages :(

Hopefully you're right and I'm just overreacting. From my point of view the outlook is not good.

Maybe when Severed is released, DrinkBox will make a port of AaB down the line for the Vita :).

You aren't overreacting and hopefully things get better over time. For now though, lets enjoy the amount of amazing games already and coming out on Vita :D.

And I recommend you give Nihilumbra a shot if you have PS+; honestly really enjoying my time with the game and a very polished title for the Vita :).

Edit: I DID play Velocity XD!

My issue is that I got half way through both games and.....then stopped :l. Now that I'm going through my Vita library, will go back and fully beat both games :).

And I love both Velocity's man :D! X2 is more or less 2D Sonic with a Gun when you are off the ship and its amazing :').

Massa

The outlook hasn't been good since 2011. Just enjoy the ones that come out on Vita and enjoy them on other systems as well, video games are not something to stress about.

RK128

The outlook hasn't been good since 2011. Just enjoy the ones that come out on Vita and enjoy them on other systems as well, video games are not something to stress about.

2013-2015 has been great on the Vita regarding indie support, so the suddenly high amount of cancellations while expected, is a bit surprising.

Powwa

Well it's obvious that it won't get better than this since Vita is 4 years old already. 2016 seems to be the best year for localizations but I think this will be the last noticable year for the console as well.

Lets hope NX can bring some life to dedicated handheld space, then maybe a miracle happens and Sony decides to make Vita 2.
Yeah, I'm just dreaming

Saphirax

Err...is anyone's trophy syncing on the vita acting up? I'm not getting any errors when it syncs, but when I try to look at my trophies on Psprofiles it says I got my last trophy on Jan 14th (which isn't true). I already checked and wi-fi is working fine and I can access the PS store.

Can I have two primary accounts on one PS4 for splitscreen gaming?
Also, would that allow the second account to use PS Plus and lets say Battlefield 4 Premium, or would I need to re buy that?

pariah164

Got some cash for my bday, so I treated myself and downloaded Muramasa Rebirth. Having a blast with it so far; good to get my Vanillaware fix before Odin Sphere comes out in June.

Shizuka

Got some cash for my bday, so I treated myself and downloaded Muramasa Rebirth. Having a blast with it so far; good to get my Vanillaware fix before Odin Sphere comes out in June.

One of the finest action games on the Vita, it's a shame the DLC lost traction after being repeatedly delayed.

One of the finest action games on the Vita, it's a shame the DLC lost traction after being repeatedly delayed.

I thought that they had planned for, and published the 4 extra DLC chapters? Was there supposed to be more? I have yet to play the last 2 but I did really enjoy the first 2 chapters.

Shizuka

I thought that they had planned for, and published the 4 extra DLC chapters? Was there supposed to be more? I have yet to play the last 2 but I did really enjoy the first 2 chapters.

They did, but the gap between the game and the DLC was larger than anticipated, they had to delay the DLC and it went for a few months without any sort of news then.

Been playing Atelier Meruru Plus lately. On the verge of loving it more than Totori. The city building aspect is a stroke of genius, shame the story doesn't hit quite the same emotional notes, but otherwise it's fantastic.

Dusk really doesn't have anything on the Arland games for me.

So, Liam from 2 best friends play is starting a #VoteVita campaign following a period of 6 months where he's been asking developers about their interest in getting games on Vita:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/417e3u/votevita_to_debut_next_week/

Sadly he says the majority just say there's no way they could see themselves working on Vita, but he's come up with a list of 4 games (3 localizations; 1 port) that could legitimately come to Vita if there's enough demand. So he'll be gauging that over the coming week I believe.

https://twitter.com/VitaVote

That for updates once it's in full swing.

Worth keeping an eye on at least. I really wonder what localizations he's talking about. It seems unlikely we'd need to beg XSEED/Aksys/NISA/Atlus/IFI to bring us games, so I hope it's none of them.

RK128

So, Liam from 2 best friends play is starting a #VoteVita campaign following a period of 6 months where he's been asking developers about their interest in getting games on Vita:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/417e3u/votevita_to_debut_next_week/

Sadly he says the majority just say there's no way they could see themselves working on Vita, but he's come up with a list of 4 games (3 localizations; 1 port) that could legitimately come to Vita if there's enough demand. So he'll be gauging that over the coming week I believe.

https://twitter.com/VitaVote

That for updates once it's in full swing.

Worth keeping an eye on at least. I really wonder what localizations he's talking about. It seems unlikely we'd need to beg XSEED/Aksys/NISA/Atlus/IFI to bring us games, so I hope it's none of them.

I could see the games being any of the following:
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2/Builders (Square Enix)
-Chaos Rings Collection (Square Enix)
-Phantasy Star Nova (Sega)
-Gundam Breaker (Any of them) Game (Bamco)
-Bioshock (2K Games)
-GTA PS2 Trilogy (iOS) Port (Rockstar)

Drawing at a blank on any other game :l.

-Bioshock (2K Games)

All of those seem much, much too high profile for what he's talking about. If you read the text in the reddit thread:

So. my final choice is to go forward with a very small selection of titles. The selection will absolutely not be what any of you are expecting (both in scale and selection), and will look extremely different from what the original rosy-eyed campaign was hopeful of becoming. It will disappoint many, that much I can assure you. I'm posting this plainly now so that I can answer any questions and try to get some of the negativity out of the way, because the one thing that hasn't changed is that I still need your support to get any of these titles to even have a shot, which, well, I can't talk details, or why I know things, or where I know them from, but I can assure you that I do know that the final selected titles DO have just that; a shot.

Maybe... MAYBE at a push Bioshock, just because it exists on iOS and 2K don't seem to hate Vita, but otherwise I don't see any of those happening. DQB will come due to the PS4 version if it comes; same with Gundam Breaker.

I did question Phantasy Star Nova/Tales of Innocence R for the localizations myself. Neither Bamco nor SEGA seem to dislike Vita, but again they seem higher profile than he's talking.

Shizuka

-Bioshock (2K Games)

He said not to expect a lot, you made a list of literally high expectations.

autoduelist

Is there any reason whatsoever for me to get DJ Max Portable 3 for $10 if I've never found a rhythm game I've liked? i just like that thumbnail cover so much, and it looks solid. But... i hate rhythm games.

And xenogears? I seem to remember that being very, very story heavy. Which means I can probably skip it? Is there something terribly redeeming about it, like perhaps the best combat system ever or something?

And finally... Child of Light for $6? Thoughts?

RK128

All of those seem much, much too high profile for what he's talking about. If you read the text in the reddit thread:

Maybe... MAYBE at a push Bioshock, just because it exists on iOS and 2K don't seem to hate Vita, but otherwise I don't see any of those happening. DQB will come due to the PS4 version if it comes; same with Gundam Breaker.

I did question Phantasy Star Nova/Tales of Innocence R for the localizations myself. Neither Bamco nor SEGA seem to dislike Vita, but again they seem higher profile than he's talking.

I guess those are too much......

Then I'm at a loss at what games are on that list then :l. Everything else I picture the main publishers now doing (Atlus, XSEED, IFI, NISA, Bamco, ect), so I'm at a loss at what games they could bring over :l.

Edit: Phantasy Star Nova and Tales of Innocence R seem like they COULD happen due to Sega/Bamco not hating the Vita and still support the system with games.....but then again, completely at a loss at what games could come over.

Takao

Banned
What's the word on Mighty No.9 for the Vita? I remember hearing "at a later date" but not any release window at all for it. Play-Asia has a February release date for a physical Asian version and if that was true then I'd go for the Vita version instead of the PS4. Feels unlikely though, right?

I'm sure it'll be a later release. The handheld versions are being farmed out to Engine Software and supposedly won't run on Unreal Engine. I'm kind of concerned the Vita version will wind up being a port of the 3DS build.

RK128

I'm sure it'll be a later release. The handheld versions are being farmed out to Engine Software and supposedly won't run on Unreal Engine. I'm kind of concerned the Vita version will wind up being a port of the 3DS build.

That is what I'm expecting to be the case; Vita version being just an upscaled port of the 3DS build but with some visual enhancements (native res, better performance, ect). As long as the 3DS version is a good game, then I honestly don't mind them doing that.

Agent X

Err...is anyone's trophy syncing on the vita acting up? I'm not getting any errors when it syncs, but when I try to look at my trophies on Psprofiles it says I got my last trophy on Jan 14th (which isn't true). I already checked and wi-fi is working fine and I can access the PS store.

Yes, I'm also currently experiencing problems with trophy synchronization on the Vita. I keep getting errors NP-2125-0 and NW-5603-4. Doing a quick search on Google leads me to believe these are network errors where it cannot connect to a server.

I hope this doesn't screw up my ability to synchronize trophies. I just earned the platinum trophy on Resogun for Vita a few minutes ago, and I'd be extremely irritated if it this problem prevents it from going through. I had a similar problem a while back and one of my Pinball Arcade trophies failed to synchronize to the list--I had to create a new save file and earn the trophy all over again.

I really liked it. It's an 11-15 hour JRPG with an active battle timer turn based system (like Grandia from what I have read).

I enjoyed it enough on my PS4 that I got 80% through it before a known bug in the game corrupted the save file and crashed it. Still, I went right back in and played through again to get to the ending and did not mind (too much...).

Still, feels like this could be a game coming to PS+ soon.

Chuy

I guess we have no idea at what is coming at all from this then until the news officially comes out.
Basically have no expectations if at all possible.
Although looking at the reddit thread if this is successful enough we might get some higher profile games.

Go for it. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I bought it on sale last year.

pariah164

Is there any reason whatsoever for me to get DJ Max Portable 3 for $10 if I've never found a rhythm game I've liked? i just like that thumbnail cover so much, and it looks solid. But... i hate rhythm games.

What rhythm games have you tried that you didn't like? DJ Max is kind of a different beast from most games in the genre, and you might like it.

As for Child of Light, yes. Get it. It was one of my GOTYs for 2014 for a reason. Excellent RPG with a story full of feels and a fairy that's nowhere near as annoying as Navi.

RK128

Never beat Child of Light but it runs great on Vita, has a great soundtrack, battle system is good and it is a mixture of Rayman (2D exploration/platforming) and a traditional JRPG. Highly recommend the game :).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Darn, many games for me this week:

Croixleur Sigma - I really want to get it but is $14.99 overpriced? You think I should wait for a sale?
A Boy and His Blob - Getting this, I hope it's affordable.
Resident Evil Origins - Getting this
Life is Strange Retail - Thinking about this, no budget at the moment.

http://gamestalk.net/kancolle-8/

KanColle Kai apparently finished development. Includes all ship girls until Fall update.

And I'm still here wishing it was a different game. Like Super Robot Wars (see
Queen's Blade/Gate Spiral Chaos
*). Or an actual game of this lol. I need that Burning Love.

*I relinquish any responsibility over whatever appears in your search results. Proceed at own risk.

Top Bottom