• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

Clive

Was browsing Amazon when I noticed there's a physical Vita copy of Teslagrad in Europe. Thought you might want to add it to your list.

"The retail version of Teslagrad for PS Vita will be coming out in the United States in early 2016, we are making the final preparation with our American distributor so that we can start offering pre-orders soon. We will list all of the pre-order options on this blog post and update when we have new options available. To be continued!"

http://www.soedesco.com/en/where-can-i-buy-teslagrad-for-playstation-vita/

Ventara

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, Liam from 2 best friends play is starting a #VoteVita campaign following a period of 6 months where he's been asking developers about their interest in getting games on Vita:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/417e3u/votevita_to_debut_next_week/

Sadly he says the majority just say there's no way they could see themselves working on Vita, but he's come up with a list of 4 games (3 localizations; 1 port) that could legitimately come to Vita if there's enough demand. So he'll be gauging that over the coming week I believe.

https://twitter.com/VitaVote

That for updates once it's in full swing.

Worth keeping an eye on at least. I really wonder what localizations he's talking about. It seems unlikely we'd need to beg XSEED/Aksys/NISA/Atlus/IFI to bring us games, so I hope it's none of them.
Too bad he didn't post here on gaf, i would have suggested my usual list of old pc masterpieces(diablo 2 or similar, starcraft, some red alert, some good sim city or similar, might & magic 6, heroes of might & magic 3, fallout 1&2 etc), theyshould be easy and cheap to port and with a good sales potential.

Too bad he didn't post here on gaf, i would have suggested my usual list of old pc masterpieces(diablo 2 or similar, starcraft, some red alert, some good sim city or similar, might & magic 6, heroes of might & magic 3, fallout 1&2 etc), theyshould be easy and cheap to port and with a good sales potential.
what makes you think old ass PC games are easy and cheap ports?

He's not taking suggestions at this point anyway, we've already had that stage.

They may well be cheap and easy ports, but even if they were, doesn't mean the publishers would have any interest in the console.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
what makes you think old ass PC games are easy and cheap ports?

640x480 or 800x600 are easy to adapt to vita screen(960x544), then graphically they are relatively simple, so there shouldn't be performance issues, Vita shouldn't be weaker then the hardware where they used to run, also they are very old so eventual licenses or whatever shouldn't be expensive, the only problem could be controls, but i'm sure that a well thought port would resolve it, for example if a game needs lots of buttons then L and R could change the functions of dpad and face buttons, dpad and face buttons have some functions normally, with L pressed they would have others and with R pressed others for a total of 24 functions/inputs, then one thing i have always loved but very few games do is to give the possibility to pause the action and give orders for example, it could be useful to be more precise or doing more things at the same time, i'm sure there are many other solutions.

He's not taking suggestions at this point anyway, we've already had that stage.

They may well be cheap and easy ports, but even if they were, doesn't mean the publishers would have any interest in the console.
Ok but trying would have costed nothing, sometimes people don't realize to have the possibility of some good opportunities.

Ok but trying would have costed nothing, sometimes people don't realize to have the possibility of some good opportunities.

He has been trying. For the past 6 months. Did you not read any of the link?

The response was, for the most part, very friendly and amicable, but harsh and realistic. Companies that seemed somewhat likely to be interested were very plain about their disinterest, and some companies you would never have expected to even so much as respond actually did try to speak up internally about Vita ports, but were usually shut down by their marketing department. Basically, I got to the end with a puny, puny list of titles, and as time went on, some of those title's windows came and went. Quite the pickle.

640x480 or 800x600 are easy to adapt to vita screen(960x544), then graphically they are relatively simple, so there shouldn't be performance issues, Vita shouldn't be weaker then the hardware where they used to run, also they are very old so eventual licenses or whatever shouldn't be expensive

The thing is, they run on an ancient engines made for ancient PCs. Sure, technically they would work, that doesn't mean that porting them is easy at all.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
He has been trying. For the past 6 months. Did you not read any of the link?

"but he's come up with a list of 4 games (3 localizations; 1 port) that could legitimately come to Vita if there's enough demand"

It already looks like a good result to me, with more suggestions maybe one or two games would have been added.

The thing is, they run on an ancient engines made for ancient PCs. Sure, technically they would work, that doesn't mean that porting them is easy at all.
Graphics would remain the same with just a bigger view and 16:9, obviously the code has to be remade, but that would have been the case even for consoles of their generation, unless you are working on a multiplatform engine you always have to redo some of the code.

Saphirax

Figured I'd ask here since some of you have probably already played The Banner Saga - how are the story and the characters? I'd be interested in buying it if the story (and characters) are good.

Graphics would remain the same with just a bigger view and 16:9, obviously the code has to be remade, but that would have been the case even for consoles of their generation, unless you are working on a multiplatform engine you always have to redo some of the code.

Let's be honest here, do you really think Blizzard would rework anything to run on Vita, when it would give them pennies in return? Blizzard really isn't the kind of company that does things unless there's a small island full of money involved. That game, or any of their's for that matter, should not be on anyone's radar for Vita. You will see a remake on PC before you see it anywhere else anyway, something that they have expressed 0 interest in.

VLiberty

Rocketbirds is great, can't wait for 2. Devs have been quiet for quite a while, cool to hear that it's alive and coming!

Rocketbirds is great, can't wait for 2. Devs have been quiet for quite a while, cool to hear that it's alive and coming!

That's how it should be though in my opinion. I wish more devs kept things under wraps until closer to release. If there's one thing Fallout 4 did well on was that. The Division is sort of doing it now too, with very little being shown up until recently, when they let the press play the game and actually show footage of it.

RK128

That's how it should be though in my opinion. I wish more devs kept things under wraps until closer to release. If there's one thing Fallout 4 did well on was that. The Division is sort of doing it now too, with very little being shown up until recently, when they let the press play the game and actually show footage of it.

I agree too Names; the less we know about a game prior to its launch and if we don't get a release date for it during the announcement, its better as we can expect nothing, allowing us to be surprised latter on.

This is key for the Vita with Rocketbirds 2, as we know the Vita version IS coming and will be released soon thanks to it having a long development cycle. As someone who loved the original, looking forward to this new one a lot :).

redcrayon

Definitely Yay.

I was really impressed with the first one on PS+, I would have paid full price for it if I had known I would enjoy it so much. Little touches like the humour, the way you could make the penguins shoot themselves when you no longer needed them, plus the soundtrack, made it feel like a lot of work went into getting things just right, even if I thought the controls could be a little tighter.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's definitively a good game, not memorable, but good.

Let's be honest here, do you really think Blizzard would rework anything to run on Vita, when it would give them pennies in return? Blizzard really isn't the kind of company that does things unless there's a small island full of money involved. That game, or any of their's for that matter, should not be on anyone's radar for Vita. You will see a remake on PC before you see it anywhere else anyway, something that they have expressed 0 interest in.
Well i posted many names for a reason ;)

I know that most of them are impossible, but what i really wanted was vitabros and everyone lurking here to open their eyes, there's a lot more than just ps2 games, indie games and japanese vita games to beg for, there are classics and genres that are completely absent on vita that would perfectly fit it, diablo is impossible? Ok what about one of the many good clones? Starcraft is impossible? Ok what about another good RTS? It wasn't really about the names but about making people realizing that there's a lot more than the usual stuff people begs for here.

I don't care at all for these games, that's why I don't "beg" for them. Also a PC RTS would never work without significant rebalancing.

I'd take a modern Diablo clone or Diablo 3, but I'd never buy old-ass Diablo 1 or 2.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't care at all for these games, that's why I don't "beg" for them. Also a PC RTS would never work without significant rebalancing.

I'd take a modern Diablo clone, but I'd never buy old-ass Diablo 1 or 2.

If you don't care about them it's your loss :p That doesn't mean that there aren't people that could be interested in them ;)

People wasted hundreds of hours on those, they are masterpieces for good reasons and many of them still hold up very well.
Again it's not about a game itself but the genres(managerial, rts, etc instead of the usual jrpgs, vn, etc), the platform(pc instead of the usual ps2, vita etc) and the release date(old games instead of new games), also i named old games on purpose because they are "small" and wouldn't pose performance problems, do you want a newer diablo clone? I'm totally ok with that, but the newer the game, the bigger, complex and heavier it is, i just wonder if it would run well on vita and developers would be willing to spend time and money on something that would need lots of optimization efforts, those are probably even more impossible than the ones i named imo.

incpdo

If you don't care about them it's your loss :p That doesn't mean that there aren't people that could be interested in it ;)

People wasted hundreds of hours on those, they are masterpieces for good reasons and many of them still hold up very well.
Again it's not about a game itself but the genres(managerial, rts, etc instead of the usual jrpgs, vn, etc), the platform(pc instead of the usual ps2, vita etc) and the release date(old games instead of new games), also i named old games on purpose because they wouldn't pose performance problems, do you want a newer diablo clone? I'm totally ok with that, but the newer the game, the bigger, complex and heavier it is, i just wonder if it would run well on vita and developers would be willing to spend time and money on something that would need lots of optimization efforts, those are probably even more impossible than the ones i named imo.
I would totally dig these type of games on the go

i'm glad i'm not the only one :D

Don't get me wrong, I'd really love some kind of WRPG on Vita (even an older one) just for some genre diversity, and there's plenty of older stuff I'd definitely replay on Vita. But which publishers would you ask? What's the incentive for them?

I get that you could piggyback a campaign like this, but Liam sounded like he's already having trouble getting publishers on board for simple stuff, let alone something that'd require a complete reworking and isn't even being done for consoles.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Don't get me wrong, I'd really love some kind of WRPG on Vita (even an older one) just for some genre diversity, and there's plenty of older stuff I'd definitely replay on Vita. But which publishers would you ask? What's the incentive for them?

I get that you could piggyback a campaign like this, but Liam sounded like he's already having trouble getting publishers on board for simple stuff, let alone something that'd require a complete reworking and isn't even being done for consoles.

That's why i suggested old famous games, they are relatively small and simple(tech/graphics-wise) and for these reasons probably cheaper and faster to port and the famous name could attract people, if you want someone not interested into something to approach it you should start with something simple and with few risks, asking a developer that has no interest on vita to port something big and new that needs a big waste of effort, time and money is totally useless.

Wiggy

Does DLC ever get permanent price reductions?

Looking at some old PS3 games it seems like companies forget the DLC exists and end up letting it cost nearly much as the full game :(

asking a developer that has no interest on vita to port something big and new that needs a big waste of effort, time and money is totally useless.

Yeah, I think you're missing the point again here. Asking a developer that has no interest in Vita to port anything to the console is going to be a waste of time and effort on our part. Even Borderlands 2 way back in 2013 needed Sony to step in and handle it (and the point with that game was that Gearbox said multiple times that they were interested in bringing it).

Liam made it clear in his post that if a publisher isn't interested in the console, they're not interested (or their marketing department will say no). And that's that. Doesn't matter how big or small the game is if the answer is just a flat out no regardless.

cyborg009

Banned
CZBcwS1WEAElHuj.jpg:large

Christian

Good news, everyone! I bought a copy of Chaos;Head Dual from the B/S/T thread, so we should be hearing word of Noah's translation, at least, any minute now! You're welcome!

Oddworld: New n tasty is up on the EU V store, doesn't seem to be final though because I got it for free through plus and it shows up with a price for me.

If I hurry up and buy it I can support the developers even though I already own it(or will it give me a refund later)?

Shizuka

Oddworld: New n tasty is up on the EU V store, doesn't seem to be final though because I got it for free through plus and it shows up with a price for me.

If I hurry up and buy it I can support the developers even though I already own it(or will it give me a refund later)?

They're working on it, don't buy it now. Cross-buy will be enabled soon enough.

FDC1

Vita version of Oddworld New & Tasty is up on european stores but doesn't appear as cross-buy?? I hope it's an error

A Boy and his Blob is up too

autoduelist

Obviously some companies won't want to, but I fail to see why you're implying it's not worth asking for them?

As for examples, I'd start with ones that already remade their games for mobile -- stuff like Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, etc.

I think there are a lot of games that would find success on Vita... older dungeon crawlers, the 'best of' mobile tactical type games, etc.

I've had less than a month with my tablet, but have found some gems (Hoplite, Kingturn, etc) that would certainly run just fine on the Vita. I don't know that small mobile developers that make games like that even have the vita on their radar, but asking couldn't hurt.

If a game is solid, there are some potential perks -- while even a good game may not get noticed in the deluge of IOS games, one might find success on Vita and then spark new mobile sales due to renewed interest.

Top Bottom