• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

So a boy and his blob isn't crossbuy? The drop didn't list it as such. They've lost a sale from me if so. It also says the vita version is coming out 2 days after the ps4 version? Bizarre.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So a boy and his blob isn't crossbuy? The drop didn't list it as such. They've lost a sale from me if so. It also says the vita version is coming out 2 days after the ps4 version? Bizarre.

It's cross buy. The Vita version is coming out on 1/21.

dracula_x

Oddworld shows up as free (cross-buy) on EU PSN for me

just got it

Yep, found it – https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...asty/cid=EP4134-PCSB00502_00-ODDWORLDNEWTASTY (UK Store)

1.2GB, btw

mEkMvY1.png

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, I think you're missing the point again here. Asking a developer that has no interest in Vita to port anything to the console is going to be a waste of time and effort on our part. Even Borderlands 2 way back in 2013 needed Sony to step in and handle it (and the point with that game was that Gearbox said multiple times that they were interested in bringing it).

Liam made it clear in his post that if a publisher isn't interested in the console, they're not interested (or their marketing department will say no). And that's that. Doesn't matter how big or small the game is if the answer is just a flat out no regardless.

Sorry but you haven't a clear view of things:

1)Have you already forgotten that there was a time when we had to beg for every localization? Companies were "not interested" on localizing vita games, now almost every good game is automatically localized without begging, that's because we insisted and then proved that it was worth, "not interested" isn't necessarily for ever.

2)Maybe you didn't noticed it but this is the best time ever for vita, some rare hating here and there apart there's no more the same hate as before, it's no more so rare to see sites saying something good about vita, Square Enix is supporting it, it's even getting some western support(civilization, xcom, assasin's creed and others already released), there's limited run games that almost does only vita games(why not 3ds or pc for example? Think about it), there's no better time to ask someone to approach vita

3)Again maybe you didn't notice but what i'm asking for is already happening, aren't duke nukem 3d, alien shooter, day of the tentacle, crimsonland, full throttle and others old pc games on vita? I'm just asking for more games like those.

After all this time i thought that vitabros learned that we can obtain some of the things we want if we try, some Vita owners are also rather myopic, instead of panicking for a pair of cancelled indies they should learn to look at the whole situation.

Any news on PSone games being playable on PS4?
My brother just bought Castlevania SoN and was completely convinced that he would be able to play it on PS4 lol.

Obviously some companies won't want to, but I fail to see why you're implying it's not worth asking for them?

As for examples, I'd start with ones that already remade their games for mobile -- stuff like Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, etc.

Again, he's already aware of titles like that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3b3rnx/going_to_try_launching_a_small_campaign_to_get/

Some of the titles I currently have in mind for the list include Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Tomb Raider: Go, Megaman Legacy Collection and Sword Coast Legends. These are games that span from likely (Baldur's Gate) to relatively simple (Tomb Raider: Go and Megaman) to complex, but doable (Sword Coast Legends, which runs on Unity).

So they'll either be part of the campaign he starts next week, or they'll fall in the "no interest from the publisher category". We'll find out either way but I trust him enough to know what he's talking about regarding publisher interest (or not).

If there's more PC ports people are after, then I don't mind asking for them, but we should probably just let him run this campaign he's already started rather than heckling for the next titles already. There will come a time when and if this campaign is successful that he'll be taking other suggestions.

1)Have you already forgotten that there was a time when we had to beg for every localization? Companies were "not interested" on localizing vita games, now almost every good game is automatically localized without begging, that's because we insisted and then proved that it was worth, "not interested" isn't necessarily for ever.

Uhh? I remember in the first year of Vita's life, there weren't a great deal of localizations, because there weren't a great deal of viable games released in Japan. Yet even then, things like Disgaea/Little King's Story/Persona/Ragnarok Odyssey came across without asking.

Then as soon as things like Atelier/EDF/Ys started releasing in Japan at the end of 2012, we started getting announcements for overseas releases. I don't remember having to beg for them.

Then from about 2014 onwards we've just gotten the smaller stuff (DanganRonpa; Demon Gaze; Dragon's Crown; Mind=0; Sorcery Saga etc). without anyone really having to ask any localization company. So again, don't remember the begging.

I do remember begging for a select few localizations - Tales of Hearts R (which clearly didn't do well enough for them to consider Innocence R) and Digimon (which remains to be seen whether we get the sequel). I wouldn't say either of them led to good games "automatically [being localized] without begging".

I don't understand your point here really.

there's limited run games that almost does only vita games(why not 3ds or pc for example? Think about it),

Because Sony's limited print run numbers are smaller than Nintendo's. Pretty simple really.

3)Again maybe you didn't notice but what i'm asking for is already happening, aren't duke nukem 3d, alien shooter, day of the tentacle, crimsonland, full throttle and others old pc games on vita? I'm just asking for more games like those.

I don't think any Double Fine stuff is worth mentioning because that's handled with Sony's help. Duke Nukem 3D came about just because Devolver had picked it up, so you'd need them to pick up more similar games for PC and then try porting them to consoles.

The rest of them? Fair points. Again, I'd highlight what I said to autoduelist above and maybe wait to see what happening with the games he knows have a shot first then when he does another round of asking for games, bring them up then. Let's walk before we run, yeah?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Again, he's already aware of titles like that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3b3rnx/going_to_try_launching_a_small_campaign_to_get/

So they'll either be part of the campaign he starts next week, or they'll fall in the "no interest from the publisher category". We'll find out either way but I trust him enough to know what he's talking about regarding publisher interest (or not).

If there's more PC ports people are after, then I don't mind asking for them, but we should probably just let him run this campaign he's already started rather than heckling for the next titles already. There will come a time when and if this campaign is successful that he'll be taking other suggestions.

Uhh? I remember in the first year of Vita's life, there weren't a great deal of localizations, because there weren't a great deal of viable games released in Japan. Yet even then, things like Disgaea/Little King's Story/Persona/Ragnarok Odyssey came across without asking.

Then as soon as things like Atelier/EDF/Ys started releasing in Japan at the end of 2012, we started getting announcements for overseas releases. I don't remember having to beg for them.

Then from about 2014 onwards we've just gotten the smaller stuff (DanganRonpa; Demon Gaze; Dragon's Crown; Mind=0; Sorcery Saga etc). without anyone really having to ask any localization company. So again, don't remember the begging.

I do remember begging for a select few localizations - Tales of Hearts R (which clearly didn't do well enough for them to consider Innocence R) and Digimon (which remains to be seen whether we get the sequel). I wouldn't say either of them led to good games "automatically [being localized] without begging".

I don't understand your point here really.

Because Sony's limited print run numbers are smaller than Nintendo's. Pretty simple really.

I don't think any Double Fine stuff is worth mentioning because that's handled with Sony's help. Duke Nukem 3D came about just because Devolver had picked it up, so you'd need them to pick up more similar games for PC and then try porting them to consoles.

The rest of them? Fair points. Again, I'd highlight what I said to autoduelist above and maybe wait to see what happening with the games he knows have a shot first then when he does another round of asking for games, bring them up then. Let's walk before we run, yeah?

1)Have you really forgotten all the games that remained in Japan?
Things like the sony campaign aren't the only way to beg for, how many forum, sites and developers twitter accounts are full of vita port/localization begging? Developers changed, they are more social now and take into account all these things.

2)digital only indie games exist even on 3ds and pc(that you straight ignored) as everything else, but LRG choose to make almost only vita versions, is that really the best you can think of?

3)you are doing exactly what 3ds owners do to dismiss vita lists trying hard to find some self-defined rules to cut as many games as possible, the truth is that there's a little but growing interest in porting old pc games on vita.

That (reddit? i don't remember) campaign had no visibility at all, in fact we knew about it only when it finished(and usually gaf knows everything), these kind of things need visibility and people flooding developers, do you really think that developers listen to a single guy that opened a thread? Well despite how this idea was mismanaged it was able to get the chance to get 4 games, now think of how even better could have been the result if the campaign was well made.

You are free to see things black i guess, but there's really no reason to, if you eventually don't like the idea of pc games on vita that's another thing but i don't see why you should convince us to not try to get them.

2)digital only indie games exist even on 3ds and pc(that you straight ignored) as everything else, but LRG choose to make almost only vita versions, is that really the best you can think of?
He told you why that is, it's only possible on Vita because of the low minimum order quantity that Sony has. PC is not comparable as physical copies really aren't a thing anymore and there aren't many collectors. LRG are also doing PS4 games if you haven't noticed.

This whole argument is nonsensical.

Which games are you talking about?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
He told you why that is, it's only possible on Vita because of the low minimum order quantity that Sony has. PC is not comparable as physical copies really aren't a thing anymore and there aren't many collectors. LRG are also doing PS4 games if you haven't noticed.

This whole argument is nonsensical.

Which games are you talking about?

You can get special physical editions on the site of some indie games, LRG could help expanding the number of games, with cheap dvd and dvd cases it would be easy, cheap and with a huge userbase, instead they went with the more expensive vita cases and memory sticks for a way smaller userbase.

I know that LRG is doing also ps4, that's why i have always said "almost only vita games" in my posts :p , but again they decided to start and to continue with vita games, that means that there's interest and some money to do, exactly like everything it's on vita, If dimension of the userbase was the only thing that counts vita would have died long time ago.

About the not localized games you can find them yourself in these lists of vita games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(A–L)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(M–Z)

You can get special physical editions on the site of some indie games, LRG could help expanding the number of games, with cheap dvd and dvd cases it would be easy, cheap and with a huge userbase, instead they went with the more expensive vita cases and memory sticks for a way smaller userbase.

You don't need a dedicated 3rd party company to make DVDs and jewel cases for PC games and ship them to a few customers. That's the main difference here. Publishing on consoles is much, MUCH more difficult and that's why LRG exists.

Yeah I went through that list before I posted, I wanted to know which games specifically you were talking about. 90% of those games simply wouldn't make sense to localize. And most of the rest have a pretty good reason for staying in Japan as well.

Benedict

EU Blog have updated this weeks releases.
Sadly they won't publish the prices anymore.

You’ll notice that we’re no longer listing prices in the weekly Store update, and the same will apply to regular sales and discounts posts, starting with the new promotion kicking off tomorrow.
For pricing information applicable to your region, we ask that you click through the links to PlayStation Store. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

New games out on 19th January:

Resident Evil 0 (PS4, PS3)
World of Tanks (PS4)
A Boy and his Blob (PS4)
Tachyon Project (PS4)
Inside My Radio (PS4)
The Deadly Tower of Monsters (PS4)
Stardust Vanguards (PS4)
Arcade Archives Crazy Climber 2 (PS4)
Tharsis (PS4)
Croixleur Sigma (PS4)
Dark Chronicle (PS4)
Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty (PS Vita)

New games out on 20th January:

Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space (PS4)
Baseball Riot (PS4)
5 Star Wrestling: ReGenesis (PS4)
Atelier Escha & Logy Plus ~Alchemists of the Dusk Sky~ (PS Vita)
Baseball Riot (PS Vita)

Things like the sony campaign aren't the only way to beg for, how many forum, sites and developers twitter accounts are full of vita port/localization begging? Developers changed, they are more social now and take into account all these things.

So I'm looking through your list of games that remained in Japan.

From 2011/2012 we have:

- Tales of Innocence R
- Gundam SEED Battle Destiny
- Lord of Apocalpyse
- Fate/Stay Night
- AKB/149
- Japanese baseball games x 2
- Legend of Heroes licencing hell version
- Nobunaga's Ambition
- Little Battlers

I don't really see the point with the majority of these. Tales of Innocence - we begged for Tales games, Heart came and it didn't sell enough for us to get Innocence. We've missed so many Gundam games across PS3/2/1 that it's pot luck whether they come or not now. AKB has never made it across. Japanese baseball games will never leave Japan. XSEED have already detailed why they won't bring across the LoH Evo games (licencing issues). Nobunaga's Ambition released in English and we didn't get the Vita version. Little Battlers only released in English once Nintendo stepped in.

So you've only really got Fate/Stay Night and Lord of Apocalpyse in that list.

There's games remaining in Japan even now that could have come across, and that's after this supposed port begging. I really, really don't see your point here.

I think this question needs flipping on its head. Why are you ignoring the reason I gave?

3)you are doing exactly what 3ds owners do to dismiss vita lists trying hard to find some self-defined rules to cut as many games as possible, the truth is that there's a little but growing interest in porting old pc games on vita.

Perhaps. I'm just trying to be realistic. The vast majority of those games came to Vita because other publishers were interested in updating them for other modern platforms, and then Vita got thrown a bone. You'd have to target similar games to see any success from this. Some exist, but as I said to autoduelist, Liam was already aware of the more major ones so he'll have a response on those regardless.

Shinriji

Gonna make it easy for you, Released JP games without english version, not VN, not based in an Bandai Namco anime property, not f2p, not sports:

- Airship Q
- Assault Gunners
- Bakumatsu Rock Ultra Soul
- Bullet Girls
- Daisenryaku series
- Deemo
- Eiyuu Senki
- Extetra
- GalGun Double Peace
- Great Edo Blacksmith
- Hideboh Tap Dance Hero
- IA/VT
- Labyrinth Cross Blood (+ Infinity)
- Little Battlers Experience W
- Lord of Apocalypse
- Love Live
- Luminous Arc
- Moe Daisensou
- Moe Chronicles
- Net High
- Nobunaga Ambition
- Omega Labyrinth
- One Way Heroics
- Operation Babel
- Phantasy Star Nova
- Polara
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Raishi
- Sangoku Koi Senki
- Sangokushi
- Sengokuhime
- Shin Hayarigami
- Shiren the Wanderer 5+
- Simple V Series 1 and 2
- Spelunker Collection
- Star Ocean 2
- Tales of Innocence R
- Trails Evolution series
- To Heart 2 Dungeon Travelers
- Tokyo Xanadu
- Touhou series
- Uta Kumi 575
- Utawarerumono 2
- Wizardry

Take the usual suspects (Tokyo Xanadu, etc), the "won´t come out" games (PP Tetris), the left behind (Trails evo, IA/VT, Bakumatsu Rock), there isn't much that can be done. Keep in mind that some players are keeping the cards close to their chest (Vic Ireland vita plans), so I think that this localization plans are the bottom of the bottom tier.

My guess is Eiyuu Senki and some bottom tier VN. I have more confidence in Gaijinworks localization (Summon Night 6 should be a lock, but I hope that he gets Extetra for his "low tier game that he can fool around trying to make it better")

By the way, anyone got Boy and his Blob yet and can tell me the Vita file size?

It's 1.6GB for PS4 & Vita I think, so I'm hopeful it'll be on the smaller side.

Now this is some great work, thank you.

Has a chance to get localized/released west:
- Deemo
- Eiyuu Senki
- GalGun Double Peace
- Luminous Arc (XSEED pls)
- Net High
- Tokyo Xanadu
- Utawarerumono 2

Licensing issues:
- IA/VT
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Trails Evolution series

Too Japanese/too lewd/no one really cares:
- Airship Q
- Assault Gunners
- Bakumatsu Rock Ultra Soul
- Bullet Girls
- Daisenryaku series
- Extetra
- Great Edo Blacksmith
- Hideboh Tap Dance Hero
- Labyrinth Cross Blood (+ Infinity)
- Little Battlers Experience W
- Lord of Apocalypse
- Love Live
- Moe Daisensou
- Moe Chronicles
- Omega Labyrinth
- Polara
- Raishi
- Sangoku Koi Senki
- Sangokushi
- Sengokuhime
- Shin Hayarigami
- Simple V Series 1 and 2
- Spelunker Collection
- Touhou series
- Uta Kumi 575

Leaves us with:
- Nobunaga Ambition
- One Way Heroics
- Operation Babel
- Phantasy Star Nova
- Shiren the Wanderer 5+
- Star Ocean 2
- Tales of Innocence R
- To Heart 2 Dungeon Travelers
- Wizardry

Of course, some of those choices are just my opinion. But I don't see a lot which can be considered "left in Japan" for no reason.

NewDust

EU Blog have updated this weeks releases.
Sadly they won't publish the prices anymore.

lol SCEE is such a joke

This fucking sucks... How do we even now if we are charged correctly? Do I have to contact every dev/publisher, before making a purchase?

Also, no longer any pictures in the update, just a barebones list. You'd expect this in the early days of the ps store and blog, not 10 years in. This is insane...

This fucking sucks... How do we even now if we are charged correctly? Do I have to contact every dev/publisher, before making a purchase?

Also, no longer any pictures in the update, just a barebones list. You'd expect this in the early days of the ps store and blog, not 10 years in. This is insane...

This is what Fred had to say

Secondly, I absolutely feel your frustration and I won’t try and sugarcoat the issue. I hear you loud and clear. Removing pricing information clearly makes this site less useful and less reader-friendly. This is not a change I made with a smile on my face :(

While I won’t lie to you and say it’s going to happen in the immediate future, I’m doing what I can to remedy the situation.

That’s all I’ll say on the matter for now – I’m reading your comments though.

So weird

NewDust

Yeah, saw that. Makes me think what it was to remove it... Not being able to list all currencies they cater to? Differences due to exchange rates? Pricing errors on the blog it self?

I can see them only listing percentages for discounts, but omitting the base price seems like such a strange omission. Surely it's not just their "understaffing".

Yeah, saw that. Makes me think what it was to remove it... Not being able to list all currencies they cater to? Differences due to exchange rates? Pricing errors on the blog it self?

I can see them only listing percentages for discounts, but omitting the base price seems like such a strange omission. Surely it's not just their "understaffing".

Yeah my guess is the large amount of price errors recently and whatever legal issues could potentially come with that

idk though

Benedict

No PS3 releases at all this week or couldn't they be bothered about it, or maybe asked not to list it?
Edit: Ok, I saw RE 0 on the top... that's all?

Clive

Any news on PSone games being playable on PS4?
My brother just bought Castlevania SoN and was completely convinced that he would be able to play it on PS4 lol.

I think Sony made it clear with the PS2 Classics launch on the PS4 that we're not going to be playing our PS1 games on the PS4 until they have come up with a way to make us pay for them again.

RK128

I think Sony made it clear with the PS2 Classics launch on the PS4 that we're not going to be playing our PS1 games on the PS4 until they have come up with a way to make us pay for them again.

Then I will refuse to buy them if that is the case. Unlike the PS2 Classics line, I own ALOT of PS1 Games on PSN (at least well over 50-60+ games), so I refuse to buy them again.

For people that don't care about trophies and the graphical enhancements, they shouldn't force us to play more money to play our games again when for years across PS3, PSP and PS Vita, we could play our PS1 games on that.

I will actively voice my dislike toward this when it unexpectedly happens. One bad thing about Sony being in first place this generation is that they can get away with a lot more, with the PS2 Classics not being cross-buy with PS3's PS2 Classics being one thing that they got away with (another was charging for online).

So, considering that, I fully expect PS1 Classics to be 'new buys' on PS4. And people will eat it up, leading to Sony doing nothing to fix the situation X(. I want to get a PS4 for a few games this year (Ratchet, Uncharted, FFXV, Persona 5, ect) but I'm doing it despite Sony making the thing. Really don't like their moves the past few years across PS4 and Vita, but due to the games I want coming to PS4, will still get one despite my dislike for Sony.

skynidas

Banned
The Deadly Tower of Monsters is really fucking cool! And it has some funny things in there. The game has a narrator that is supposed to be the Director of a movie you are playing in, it has dinosaur, aliens, vhs filter... it's weird. There's some gameplay here https://youtu.be/McRri2bG40I

Yeah... It's sad that I have to no reason to doubt this comment. As many others have said, PSX emulation is so simple that a toaster could do it. The fact that they haven't implemented this yet is concerning and makes any cross-buy potential dubious at best.

autoduelist

You'd have to target similar games to see any success from this. Some exist, but as I said to autoduelist, Liam was already aware of the more major ones so he'll have a response on those regardless.

To be fair, the only reason i mentioned bigger games is because it's easier to discuss ones we've all heard of. But there are plenty of 80s crpgs i'd pay for, modern mobile games i'd pay for, etc.

One bad thing about Sony being in first place this generation is that they can get away with a lot more, with the PS2 Classics not being cross-buy with PS3's PS2 Classics being one thing that they got away with (another was charging for online).

The decision to charge for online was made well before ps4 was 'in first place'.

I don't think the decision to 'upgrade' ps2 games had anything to do with their placement, either. I think they knew damn well there was huge demand for ps2 games with trophies, and the only way they could convince publishers to do all the necessary work was to agree not to have crossbuy, since that would heavily harm sales [since all the biggest fans of a franchise already bought it, and many others might have already bought them on deep sale]. So reselling them as new product was the only way companies like rockstar would get on board.

Not everything needs to be 'evil Sony', there are plenty of other potential explanations that make far more sense than 'they're in first place so don't care about us'.

RK128

The decision to charge for online was made well before ps4 was 'in first place'.

I don't think the decision to 'upgrade' ps2 games had anything to do with their placement, either. I think they knew damn well there was huge demand for ps2 games with trophies, and the only way they could convince publishers to do all the necessary work was to agree not to have crossbuy, since that would heavily harm sales [since all the biggest fans of a franchise already bought it, and many others might have already bought them on deep sale]. So reselling them as new product was the only way companies like rockstar would get on board.

Not everything needs to be 'evil Sony', there are plenty of other potential explanations that make far more sense than 'they're in first place so don't care about us'.

That is a good point and you make a lot of sense with your arguments. Just not for the idea of re-buying the PS2 Classics again on PS4 just to get better visuals and more trophies but if it means making publishers happy, then I guess Sony had to do that.

Still have my thoughts on if they do this with PS1 games down the line, as that would really anger me (as they've been cross by since the PS3 initiative launched; playable on PS3/Vita/PSP for one price).

On a more lighter note, for anyone interested, Oddworld New N' Tasty PS Vita is out now in NA PSN. Its cross-buy for that version if you own the PS4 or PS3 versions :).

RK128

Dark Cloud 2 is up. 25% off for PS+.

I hope they just do that with all PS2 classics from now on.

They did that with Ark the Lad last week, so they must be doing this to push PS2-PS4 sales.

Considering how they are normally 15 bucks, the PS+ discount is well worth trying to pull in more buyers.

I was checking the Store and noticed a link for "WB Sale", but when clicking on it, nothing shows.

Warner Bros sale, again, incoming I guess?

Toki767

I was checking the Store and noticed a link for "WB Sale", but when clicking on it, nothing shows.

Warner Bros sale, again, incoming I guess?

Yep. Mortal Kombat X for $30, Mad Max for $36, Mordor for $24, etc...

WB sales are pretty bad. LEGO Batman 3 is $8 though. Tempted to get that.

I also notice all the Bioshock/Borderlands games are on sale too so we may be getting a 2K sale as well.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Saw Lego batman on sale been tempted before so I figured I'd ask gaf

Never played a Lego game what am in for?
Seen mixed reviews but like batman is this worth it for me?

Please assist me gaf

Saw Lego batman on sale been tempted before so I figured I'd ask gaf

Never played a Lego game what am in for?
Seen mixed reviews but like batman is this worth it for me?

Please assist me gaf

It's a collect-a-thon and action/adventure game with some platforming. They're easy and are typically pretty humorous.

Top Bottom