• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

Hey look, some Vita recognition from a Sony exec!

First of all, he talked about PS Vita, mentioning that the console was born from the idea of offering a home console experience in a portable console, and that philosophy has not changed, and he would like to continue with it.

In particular, he’d also like to keep promoting the console to children, as he feels that children are very sensitive to early gaming experiences, that leave a strong impression. He also wants to encourage communication between parents and childen, and for that the PS Vita is “very important.”

In that field Minecraft continues to have strong sales, and grew massively in 2015, but Morita-san also expects Dragon Quest Builders to have a wide adoption among children. He also feels that while many children play Minecraft nowadays, there are many that still don’t know about it (in Japan), and there he sees a further opportunity for expansion.

Can't post source because it's banned site, but they just translated it from a Famitsu interview.

TOTP: Pre-order Trillion God of Destruction!

redcrayon

I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish and question the seemingly adamant tone for something so stupid.

Maybe they are trying to make people go to the store page themselves? Or is it a currency thing so that people in regions that has a weaker sale due to currency exchange won't get pissy?
I think that's exactly what it is.

New discounts: Frozen Synapse Prime for £4 is pretty good.

DT2 and SAO Lost Song are both on sale for the first time IIRC, 50% off.

Tales of Zestiria is 50% off
Disgaea 5 is 40% off

Also lots of "Tales of" and NISA games on sale

Lost Dimension is on sale, but only 40% off, why can't this drop as fast as other NISA games

VLiberty

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...s4-5-tips-to-dominate-levels/#comment-1136483

Tacyon Project devs say they're working on Vita version, aiming for March/April release.

Now, I don't mind devs doing this at all. Attractio also launching first on PS4 but being fairly open about their Vita plans.

Looks like Geometry Wars, so I could be down for this.
Well Attractio was a Vita exclusive at first...so, sure, better late than never, but I'm not excited about a former exclusive releasing later than the port. But, again, I don't really care after these weeks: As long as games eventually come out, I don't care abojt date and delays. I have a shitload of vita games to play btw

On the other hand, amazing news for TTP. I wish it had a vita version since i first saw it. Bring on more arcade shootery greatness!

Zhao_Yun

DT2 on sale is tempting but I'd rather go for the physical version. It's hard being a collector of physical copies sometimes T_T

As a side note, Attractio; Drift Stage and Paranautical Activity are like my three most anticipated upcoming Vita indies. It's nice to see some 3D stuff in there with all the 2D platformers, lol.

Still wish Distance and Power Drive 2000 were coming, though.

VLiberty

Was it? I thought it was always coming to Steam.

Edit: Yeah, it was announced in 2014 as coming to Vita when the devs asked on Twitter if users wanted it, based on the already-released Steam version:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/08...be-coming-to-vita-thanks-to-twitter-campaign/

Sorry, I should have said console exclusive or write the post to make more clear what I was talking about.
I meant that the PS4 version was announched much later than the Vita one, yet we're getting the Vita version later. So, while it's not a long delay(assuming there aren't more delays, it will be out next month) it's not a very good thing.

Sorry, I should have said console exclusive or write the post to make more clear what I was talking about.
I meant that the PS4 version was announched much later than the Vita one, yet we're getting the Vita version later. So, while it's not a long delay(assuming there aren't more delays, it will be out next month) it's not a very good thing.

Ah, fair enough. Yeah, seems they announced the Vita port first.

It's sad, but I've just come to expect it these days. Between the PS4 having the bigger install base and presumably being much easier to port to from PC, I'm expecting it to be pretty rare going forward that Vita version releases at the same time.

Media Create

[PSV] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Atlus, 01/14/16) – 43,394 (New)
[PS4] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Atlus, 01/14/16) – 42,263 (New)
[PS3] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Atlus, 01/14/16) – 9,771 (New)

Can we stop with the PS3 versions now Japan?

[PSV] Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours (Chara-Ani, 01/14/16) – 3,675 (New)

oh boy

Massa

was psn signing out a lot for Ps3 users last night? i needed a software update but even after that it was still happening.

It was fine for me here. You get signed out if someone else logins with the same credential on a different PS3, was that happening? If you don't think so, I would change the password just in case.

Tizoc

Is wilflare active recently? Want to finally ask him to get me a copy of Oreshika :X

Media Create

[PSV] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Atlus, 01/14/16) – 43,394 (New)
[PS4] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Atlus, 01/14/16) – 42,263 (New)
[PS3] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Atlus, 01/14/16) – 9,771 (New)

Can we stop with the PS3 versions now Japan?

[PSV] Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours (Chara-Ani, 01/14/16) – 3,675 (New)

oh boy

Eh the price point prob. didn't do it much favours either. On steam it has 6,000 owners at least for example.

I think Sony made it clear with the PS2 Classics launch on the PS4 that we're not going to be playing our PS1 games on the PS4 until they have come up with a way to make us pay for them again.

Well, fortunately my brother still has his PS3 and I also have a Vita he can borrow.
It's natural to assume that the PS4 would have a capability that the PS3 and Vita had since day 1.

For pricing information applicable to your region, we ask that you click through the links to PlayStation Store.

lol

It was fine for me here. You get signed out if someone else logins with the same credential on a different PS3, was that happening? If you don't think so, I would change the password just in case.
nope, that wasn't it. i was playing on my cousin's psn and you get a direct message saying "your account was logged in on another system so you're being logged out" some shit like that

Massa

Are you all waiting until the last day to vote on your GOTY or what? GAF needs your Vita game recommendations people!

Wiggy

PS Blog is a bit of a joke now, with its lack of increasing lack of info its becoming useless. A bot could probably do a better job, no need for 'writers'.

was psn signing out a lot for Ps3 users last night? i needed a software update but even after that it was still happening.

Yup has been happening to me for a while too.

deadfolk

Gang...any thoughts on the following vita games from the EU psn sale?

Lost Dimension €23.99
Dungeon Travelers 2 €20
SAO Lost Song €20
Tales of Hearts R €12

RK128

Lost Dimension €23.99
Dungeon Travelers 2 €20
SAO Lost Song €20
Tales of Hearts R €12

Lost Song is a good action JRPG that is a lot of fun. You have the ability to fly around in the open fields and its a ton of fun. The melee combat is great and really rewarding when you chain it up with Sword Skills and magic attacks. You can play as a large cast of characters outside of Kritio and each of them has unique weapons to use. Story seems to be an improvement over Hollow Fragment, as the translation is ALOT better alongside the characterization being better (if you saw the anime, it compares to the latter half of S2, instead of S1).

Tales of Hearts R is a Tales Of game; fun Smash Brothers-esc combat system, large overworld to explore, good translation, witty character interactions and a long story to experience. I played the game for a long time before dropping it for other games but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Overall, I recommend both games highly if you want fun JRPG's to play :).

Lost Dimension €23.99
Dungeon Travelers 2 €20
SAO Lost Song €20
Tales of Hearts R €12

You won't see a whole lot of recommendations for it, but I thought Lost Dimension was fab. Short enough to not overstay its welcome but long enough that I felt satisfied when it was done. Combat was easy to get to grips with but difficult to master - I always thought "if I did things this way I would've done even better". Plot is interesting, although requires a second playthrough to get the most of.

Definitely check it out.

Hearts R is also great :p

Are you all waiting until the last day to vote on your GOTY or what? GAF needs your Vita game recommendations people!

My GOTY

Vita games I would recommend from last year:

Fat Princess: Piece of Cake
Crimsonland
VVVVVV
Bastion
Nuclear Throne
Shovel Knight
The Swindle
Teslagrad
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
Whoa Dave!
Olli Olli 2

These are OK:
AQUA KITTY - Milk Mine Defender DX
Jungle Rumble: Freedom, Happiness, and Bananas
Organ Trail Complete Edition
Ultratron
SUPER STAR WARS
TowerFall Ascension
Tetris® Ultimate
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
Titan Souls
Tennis in the Face
Run Sackboy! Run!
The Treasures of Montezuma 4
Super Meat Boy
Angus hates Aliens

deadfolk

Lost Song is a good action JRPG that is a lot of fun. You have the ability to fly around in the open fields and its a ton of fun. The melee combat is great and really rewarding when you chain it up with Sword Skills and magic attacks. You can play as a large cast of characters outside of Kritio and each of them has unique weapons to use. Story seems to be an improvement over Hollow Fragment, as the translation is ALOT better alongside the characterization being better (if you saw the anime, it compares to the latter half of S2, instead of S1).

Tales of Hearts R is a Tales Of game; fun Smash Brothers-esc combat system, large overworld to explore, good translation, witty character interactions and a long story to experience. I played the game for a long time before dropping it for other games but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Overall, I recommend both games highly if you want fun JRPG's to play :).

Do I need to have finished Hollow Fragment or watched S2 of the anime to play Lost Song?

Christian

People don't like Lost Dimension? I would just assume not enough people played it to recommend it.

I recommend LD, Dungeon Travelers 2, and Tales of Hearts R. I haven't played Sword Art Online, so I can't vouch for that.

RK128

Do I need to have finished Hollow Fragment or watched S2 of the anime to play Lost Song?

The game takes place right after Hollow Fragment but if you played a lot of the game and understand the characters, you should be fine for moving on to Lost Song. Just keep in mind some elements are spoiled (
Hollow Area and original game characters for example
).

You don't need to see S2 as the game tells the story of S2 at various points. The only thing ignored from S2 is Gun Gale Online but you can skip that if you want.

The SAO games are an a 'new' world for the series, with the only anime elements you need to see is the first 13-14 episodes of the series and that's it; moving on to Hollow Fragment and Lost Song, they tell new stories while touching on older ones within S1 and S2. You can get a better insight on some characters like Asuna and Sinon in the anime but still, you get the idea with there characters.

I recommend doing the following; Watch the first 14 episodes, play through Hollow Fragment (at least beat the Hollow Area), then play Lost Song.

Its odd that I know so much about an anime I have major issues with XD! But I guess the games completely won me over despite my issues with the anime :).

Powwa

People don't like Lost Dimension? I would just assume not enough people played it to recommend it.

I recommend LD, Dungeon Travelers 2, and Tales of Hearts R. I haven't played Sword Art Online, so I can't vouch for that.

I've bought it for the full price and didn't regret it. If you like SRPGs I'd say it's worth it at that price. There are a few cons however such as English dub only, fps stutters during lobby screen and loading screen after each action. Nothing major though.

deadfolk

The game takes place right after Hollow Fragment but if you played a lot of the game and understand the characters, you should be fine for moving on to Lost Song. Just keep in mind some elements are spoiled (
Hollow Area and original game characters for example
).

You don't need to see S2 as the game tells the story of S2 at various points. The only thing ignored from S2 is Gun Gale Online but you can skip that if you want.

The SAO games are an a 'new' world for the series, with the only anime elements you need to see is the first 13-14 episodes of the series and that's it; moving on to Hollow Fragment and Lost Song, they tell new stories while touching on older ones within S1 and S2. You can get a better insight on some characters like Asuna and Sinon in the anime but still, you get the idea with there characters.

I recommend doing the following; Watch the first 14 episodes, play through Hollow Fragment (at least beat the Hollow Area), then play Lost Song.

Its odd that I know so much about an anime I have major issues with XD! But I guess the games completely won me over despite my issues with the anime :).

Thanks! I've watched S1 and started HF a while back. I'll probably go back to it in a bit and also watch S2 before playing LS in that case. No reason to jump ahead if it is chronologically after HF. I wasn't sure if it was part of the same continuity, as it's a different type of game.

How does it perform on Vita?

RK128

Thanks! I've watched S1 and started HF a while back. I'll probably go back to it in a bit and also watch S2 before playing LS in that case. No reason to jump ahead if it is chronologically after HF. I wasn't sure if it was part it'd the same continuity, as it's a different type of game.

The gameplay is different from Hollow Fragment, but the storyline is the same; the upcoming Hollow Realization likely is taking place after Lost Song.

I prefer this storyline to the anime honestly even though second half of S2 has some really great moments.....the Mothers Ruso Arc is the best thing to come out of SAO honestly.

But good plan on your part :). Play through HF and watch S2 to get an idea on some of the characters appearing in the game.

It runs pretty well on Vita; few frame rate drops and its native res. It is a really looker when you are flying around and while the dips can be bad in boss fights, they don't last very long (maybe a second or two). Otherwise its almost always a consistent 30FPS.

pariah164

My GOTY list.

Also, in regards to Lost Dimension, it's fun for what it is. It's not on my GOTY list because it just. Didn't get there. And the dub isn't my favorite either, but I have heard worse.

deadfolk

The gameplay is different from Hollow Fragment, but the storyline is the same; the upcoming Hollow Realization likely is taking place after Lost Song.

I prefer this storyline to the anime honestly even though second half of S2 has some really great moments.....the Mothers Ruso Arc is the best thing to come out of SAO honestly.

But good plan on your part :). Play through HF and watch S2 to get an idea on some of the characters appearing in the game.

It runs pretty well on Vita; few frame rate drops and its native res. It is a really looker when you are flying around and while the dips can be bad in boss fights, they don't last very long (maybe a second or two). Otherwise its almost always a consistent 30FPS.

Sounds good. I was concerned with the talk of flying about! A few stutters here and there are hardly the end of the world. Thanks for all the detailed info.

deadfolk

No problem :). Love the SAO games, so I can talk alot about them XD!

In that case, I might hit you up for some advice when I start back on HF, if you don't mind. I didn't get very far before, and I seem to remember there being quite a lot to it.

RK128

In that case, I might hit you up for some advice when I start back on HF, if you don't mind. I didn't get very far before, and I seem to remember there being quite a lot to it.

No problem man :D! Shoot me a PM or two when you get back to HF :).

deadfolk

No problem man :D! Shoot me a PM or two when you get back to HF :).

Cheers!

And thanks everyone for the advice. I had a feeling you were all going to tell me all four games were worth getting, and I wasn't disappointed. Good job I got a shedload of Gamestop vouchers for my birthday recently!

VLiberty

Any reason, other than "lol scee", why we still haven't got Towerfall and any news about when we should get it?

edit: speaking of european PSN errors, Majesco noticed the price error on A Boy and His Blob and it's working on aligning it with other services/US PSN.

Christian

Is it english?

I think it's Japanese-only. I haven't even opened it yet. I'm still trying to finish Bakumatsu Rock and Dragon Quest Heroes. I don't like to have too many games in progress.

Japanese isn't an obstacle for me, so I don't mind. And I heard the physical release was going to be extremely limited. Seemed like a no-brainier to buy a copy.

Top Bottom