• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

pariah164

I loved playing Lego LotR; is Lego the Hobbit just as good?

Top of the Page: Buy Trails of Cold Steel if you haven't already.

Hey look, some Vita recognition from a Sony exec!

Can't post source because it's banned site, but they just translated it from a Famitsu interview.

TOTP: Pre-order Trillion God of Destruction!

Now they recognize the Vita's existence with Mincecraft carrying it in Japan. Wait until Dragon Quest Builders. Sony marketed the Vita wrong, they should have targeted the young audience, not a young adult demographic.

autoduelist

Sorry, I should have said console exclusive or write the post to make more clear what I was talking about.
I meant that the PS4 version was announched much later than the Vita one, yet we're getting the Vita version later. So, while it's not a long delay(assuming there aren't more delays, it will be out next month) it's not a very good thing.

It's not 'a very bad thing' either. It's neither, it's just a 'thing'. Why care what something was announced for first? Why care if some other version comes out first? Barring rare exceptions, it's generally far easier to develop for more powerful devices first, since they require less (or no) optimization. You then release that version to get some income coming in, and work on other versions. Trying to spin this as some sort of negative 'not a good thing' is silly, it's sound business and makes perfect sense. It's coming out for Vita. That's all that matters.

VLiberty

It's not 'a very bad thing' either. It's neither, it's just a 'thing'. Why care what something was announced for first? Why care if some other version comes out first? Barring rare exceptions, it's generally far easier to develop for more powerful devices first, since they require less (or no) optimization. You then release that version to get some income coming in, and work on other versions. Trying to spin this as some sort of negative 'not a good thing' is silly, it's sound business and makes perfect sense. It's coming out for Vita. That's all that matters.

Read my previous post: that's exactly what I said.

Takao

Banned
Now they recognize the Vita's existence with Mincecraft carrying it in Japan. Wait until Dragon Quest Builders. Sony marketed the Vita wrong, they should have targeted the young audience, not a young adult demographic.

Given the monopoly Nintendo has on games that interest that audience, no, I think Sony was right to target the demo they did in Japan. The problem is that they lacked (and largely still lack) the kind of software that would get people to buy hardware.

As for DQB, I'm not expecting great things from it. I suspect no multi-player + a high price will hurt it. But hey, maybe it'll succeed in Yoshita's goal of moving more kids to PS4 or something.

cyborg009

Banned
Given the monopoly Nintendo has on games that interest that audience, no, I think Sony was right to target the demo they did in Japan. The problem is that they lacked (and largely still lack) the kind of software that would get people to buy hardware.

As for DQB, I'm not expecting great things from it. I suspect no multi-player + a high price will hurt it. But hey, maybe it'll succeed in Yoshita's goal of moving more kids to PS4 or something.

Didn't know this damn..

Good luck targeting kids when you're missing the most important games they care about.

I loved how he threw in there that they're going to push Minecraft more. So they've found a demographic they want to push on Vita, but they're going to leave it up to a game that released in 2014 and DQB, while not putting out any software of their own for it. GG.

Takao

Banned
I loved how he threw in there that they're going to push Minecraft more. So they've found a demographic they want to push on Vita, but they're going to leave it up to a game that released in 2014 and DQB, while not putting out any software of their own for it. GG.

Knack 2 for Vita coming soon! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SCEJA doesn't make licensed games anymore and the producer of the Ape Escape games left Japan Studio a few years ago. The recent Yu-Gi-Oh! and Dragon Ball announcements indicate that they're not making up the difference by chasing third party games either.

Didn't know this damn..

It's a really confusing omission. Part of me wonders if they're holding that back to make it a feature in a DQB2 or something. They're pulling that with Dragon Quest Heroes lol

Massa

My GOTY

Vita games I would recommend from last year:

Fat Princess: Piece of Cake
Crimsonland
VVVVVV
Bastion
Nuclear Throne
Shovel Knight
The Swindle
Teslagrad
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
Whoa Dave!
Olli Olli 2

These are OK:
AQUA KITTY - Milk Mine Defender DX
Jungle Rumble: Freedom, Happiness, and Bananas
Organ Trail Complete Edition
Ultratron
SUPER STAR WARS
TowerFall Ascension
Tetris® Ultimate
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
Titan Souls
Tennis in the Face
Run Sackboy! Run!
The Treasures of Montezuma 4
Super Meat Boy
Angus hates Aliens

I'm always reading your posts, excellent recommendations!

Hah! Is there a GOTY thread? I can't remember if I voted or not.

Here. You haven't voted yet. Make sure you read the OP before posting.

My GOTY list.

Also, in regards to Lost Dimension, it's fun for what it is. It's not on my GOTY list because it just. Didn't get there. And the dub isn't my favorite either, but I have heard worse.

Hah, now there''s a VitaGAF top 10 list! Nice post.

Prelude.

Damn, Blue Maxima's video about New 'n' Tasty! made not want to play the game anymore.
I kept reading it was solid 30fps in the first impressions and it can drop pretty severely. They also didn't fix some bugs that were present back when the game launched which is pretty disappointing.

JTripper

Lego Batman 3 worth it with the dlc for $14?

I know, kind of a dumb question for a huge Batman fan and for so cheap, but still. I hear it's not actually as good as 2.

Knack 2 for Vita coming soon! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SCEJA doesn't make licensed games anymore and the producer of the Ape Escape games left Japan Studio a few years ago. The recent Yu-Gi-Oh! and Dragon Ball announcements indicate that they're not making up the difference by chasing third party games either.

Yeah, saying you're targeting games at kids and then missing a load of anime-tie-in child friendly software is ridiculous.

I agreed with your post on reddit a while ago about the direction SCEJA are taking though. I really, really dislike that they're only thinking global and no longer making local-market appropriate software.

Damn, Blue Maxima's video about New 'n' Tasty! made not want to play the game anymore.
I kept reading it was solid 30fps in the first impressions and it can drop pretty severely. They also didn't fix some bugs that were present back when the game launched which is pretty disappointing.

What's the gist of it? Because your average Bluemaxima video is 90% moaning. I love that he covers Vita so widely but I haven't found his content watchable for quite some time.

Maybe check out LatestVitaGames if you wanted to see some other footage.

Prelude.

What's the gist of it? Because your average Bluemaxima video is 90% moaning. I love that he covers Vita so widely but I haven't found his content watchable for quite some time.

Maybe check out LatestVitaGames if you wanted to see some other footage.
It's not his opinion (I don't agree with him most of the times) but just the footage of the game. As soon as he dropped down to a secret area the framerate went down considerably and those areas are pretty hard to clear.
He also said it's pretty buggy but only showed one of them so I'm not sure about that.

Zhao_Yun

Digimon is almost here, I'm really excited to play the game. I know it has a multiplayer mode, is it similar to Pokemon's?

I just found this on VGP's website now:

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=23713

The price is a bit high isn't it?

Well they have to import it from Asia and the Canadian Dollar is really weak right now, so it's not that surprising.
I still haven't decided yet which version to buy...

Bloodstained is looking REAL nice:
hzvAbBh.png

Such an improvement from previous updates that they gave us.

RK128

Bloodstained is looking REAL nice:

Such an improvement from previous updates that they gave us.

Man, that looks really detailed and nice looking :). Love the cell-shaded look that style has and I hope its the one used for the final game :D.

The Vita version is very far off from now (likely releasing a good deal after the PS4/X1/PC/Wii U versions launch, and that's sometime in 2017) but this style would fit the Vita perfectly.

Stylized games pop on the Vita (Jet Set Radio HD Vita and the Neptuina games come to mind), so looking forward to seeing this run on Vita in the future :).

Oh my damn.

I need this on my Vita nooooow.

Man, that looks really detailed and nice looking :). Love the cell-shaded look that style has and I hope its the one used for the final game :D.

The Vita version is very far off from now (likely releasing a good deal after the PS4/X1/PC/Wii U versions launch, and that's sometime in 2017) but this style would fit the Vita perfectly.

Stylized games pop on the Vita (Jet Set Radio HD Vita and the Neptuina games come to mind), so looking forward to seeing this run on Vita in the future :).

This is just one of the looks the devs have been cooking up. Each update that they have, they have a form that you can fill out to choose what you liked best, or what you didn't like at all. You can see in today's update more shaders for both the character and the backgrounds, which again they ask for feedback on. I think it's pretty unanimous though, everyone loves this shader.

autoduelist

Does anyone have a definitive list of games releasing for Vita in, say, the next 6 months or year (honestly i'm only specifically interested in rpgs/srpgs/drpgs)? I'm trying to figure out a couple preorders and I keep feeling like I'm missing stuff.

I just added Aegis of Earth to my preorders... also have Trillion and Stranger of Sword City. (Aegis was only $24 with amazon prime! $30 w/o).

There are other things like God Wars that aren't up on amazon for preorder yet...

Guru-Guru

Banned
Hey guys, so I was planning to buy Telltale's Game of Thrones for the PS4 (despite the middling reviews). It seems that for the retail version the final episode isn't included on disc, but you are able to download it at no additional cost. As the game hasn't been released in Japan, I was going to order it off Amazon. My PSN account is tied to the Japanese PSN store...Will I even be able to download the final episode if I buy the retail version (as the game isn't on the Japanese store). Does anybody know?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Man. So excited. I hope they can capture the magic of SoTN.

Hey guys, so I was planning to buy Telltale's Game of Thrones for the PS4 (despite the middling reviews). It seems that for the retail version the final episode isn't included on disc, but you are able to download it at no additional cost. As the game hasn't been released in Japan, I was going to order it off Amazon. My PSN account is tied to the Japanese PSN store...Will I even be able to download the final episode if I buy the retail version (as the game isn't on the Japanese store). Does anybody know?

If the "Final Episode" is treated as a 'DLC' (aka you have to download it from the PS Store), then you need an account. If it is an "update", then you should be able to download it regardless of your account region.

Also, since you are on PS4, you can just get a sub-account on US/EU (or whatever region you are importing from), and download on that instead if needed.

Guru-Guru

Banned
If the "Final Episode" is treated as a 'DLC' (aka you have to download it from the PS Store), then you need an account. If it is an "update", then you should be able to download it regardless of your account region.

Also, since you are on PS4, you can just get a sub-account on US/EU (or whatever region you are importing from), and download on that instead if needed.
Okay, cool. So from what I can understand, worst case scenario I will just have to create a non-Japan PSN account and download the DLC (episode 6), then sign off and go back onto my main account and I should be able to access it. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

ReaperXL7

Figured I'd ask here hoping someone might know. I was curious if anyone knows how the JPN PSN store is updated, the Dragon Quest builders demo was scheduled for the 22 but I still haven't seen it uploaded to the store. Really interested I. Checking it out with my daughter so I wanted to see if anyone was more familiar with the JPN side.

As a side note they did put up a demo for Crypt of the Necrodancer and that game is fucking awesome, hard as hell but still soo good. I can't wait for that to release in the U.S on PSN

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So I'm looking through your list of games that remained in Japan.

From 2011/2012 we have:

- Tales of Innocence R
- Gundam SEED Battle Destiny
- Lord of Apocalpyse
- Fate/Stay Night
- AKB/149
- Japanese baseball games x 2
- Legend of Heroes licencing hell version
- Nobunaga's Ambition
- Little Battlers

I don't really see the point with the majority of these. Tales of Innocence - we begged for Tales games, Heart came and it didn't sell enough for us to get Innocence. We've missed so many Gundam games across PS3/2/1 that it's pot luck whether they come or not now. AKB has never made it across. Japanese baseball games will never leave Japan. XSEED have already detailed why they won't bring across the LoH Evo games (licencing issues). Nobunaga's Ambition released in English and we didn't get the Vita version. Little Battlers only released in English once Nintendo stepped in.

So you've only really got Fate/Stay Night and Lord of Apocalpyse in that list.

There's games remaining in Japan even now that could have come across, and that's after this supposed port begging. I really, really don't see your point here.

I think this question needs flipping on its head. Why are you ignoring the reason I gave?

Perhaps. I'm just trying to be realistic. The vast majority of those games came to Vita because other publishers were interested in updating them for other modern platforms, and then Vita got thrown a bone. You'd have to target similar games to see any success from this. Some exist, but as I said to autoduelist, Liam was already aware of the more major ones so he'll have a response on those regardless.
Sorry for the very late reply.

First of all there are way more japanese exclusive games than those, for example Night of the True Kamaitachi that i'll never stop begging for, second games like Trails of Cold Steel, other Kiseki games and others only now are getting localized, they are old, at the time of their releases there weren't plans for localizations.

About Limited Run Games your reason alone is futile because:
1)Sony also has the more successful PS4, but again most of their games are vita games
2)Doing the same on PC for example would have been way easier(no sony rules and stuff) and cheaper(cheap dvd and dvd boxes instead of expensive vita propretary cards and boxes), Pc retail is dying? Yes but LRG is not for the masses, is for those who want to collect games, i'm sure that the world is full of pc gamers that would buy limited releases, look at kickstarter rewards for example.

About Pc games, well you keep being as realistic as 3ds owners dismissing vita lists, didn't sony try to get Type 0 on Vita for example? Sony can't go against developers will and plans, if those games ended on vita is because developers were already at least slightly interested on vita, Sony at max gave them a little push.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
LRG has currently 25 releases planned for 2016
13 PS4
12 Vita

I was talking about the ones already released, they chose to start with vita, do you think that the platform where a new little company decides to start betting all their few money means nothing?

I was talking about the ones already released, they chose to start with vita, do you think that the platform where a new little company decides to start betting all their few money means nothing?
There is one game already released.
They chose to start with the games they made themselves, which are B&C (Vita only) and SMRPG (Vita & PS4)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
And no one cares about retail PC games

Damn do you read my posts or what?
LRG is not for the masses, it's called LIMITED RUN for a reason, it's for collectors, the world is full of collectors even on pc, look at kickstarter rewards for example, the psysical editions are always among the most requested.

Damn do you read my posts or what?
LRG is not for the masses, it's called LIMITED RUN for a reason, it's for collectors, the world is full of collectors even on pc, look at kickstarter rewards for example, the psysical editions are always among the most requested.

I can go to humble, right now, and buy B&C for 2,24€, download the DRM-free installer, burn it on a disc, and have it preserved forever. It can be copied again and again, making the concept of a limited release redundant.

How do I do that with the Vita version? That's why LRG exists and does limited runs of console games, not PC.

http://app.worldtrigger.bngames.net/

vita is going to end up with a port of that tragic looking .hack game isn't it

itssomething.jpg

Seriously though, I don't get this. F2P games by and large haven't done fantastically on Vita (outside of PSO2 and maybe Destiny of Spirits).

I guess Borderless Mission must've done well enough for them.

Sorry for the very late reply.

It's okay. I think I'm done with this conversation anyway. We don't agree and we aren't going to agree. I don't particularly want to keep going around in circles with you.

18-Volt

Anybody knows where the hell is Vita version of Boy and his Blob? Didn't they said it'll be out on 20th? It's 21st and it's nowhere to be seen.

Unsure if this is the right thread but didn't want to make a new thread for this:

When using the PS4 to browse the PS Store I keep finding PS3 games all over the place. It really annoys me. Is there anyway to browse the store without PS3 games appearing?

Top Bottom