• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

I understand; have a lot to play already myself (at least in the mid-way point of Tales of Hearts R, have to start VC2, want to beat all the DLC stages in Unleashed, want to beat both LBP Vita and Freedom Wars.......).

The Riku fight is annoying :(; as if you don't time your dodge rolls and blocks, you will be killed fast X(. Him warping all over the doesn't help much either :l.

Once you get down is pattern, the fight should be more manageable, so good luck with the game :D.
I've spent about 5hrs in between yesterday and today fighting him. My problem is when I get him to the last health bar, when he starts teleporting all over the place. Without a summon, I'm kinda screwed. This is very annoying.

RK128

I've spent about 5hrs in between yesterday and today fighting him. My problem is when I get him to the last health bar, when he starts teleporting all over the place. Without a summon, I'm kinda screwed. This is very annoying.

Mmm.....my trick when I played the original KH's (PS2 version, not the final mix one) was to dodge roll away from him when he tried pulling that off and kept spamming cure on myself (if you didn't use magic throughout the fight, you should have enough of it to cast cure on yourself at least twice I think).

Granted, its been a few years since I played KH1, so sorry if my tip doesn't help.

Edit: Oh! I remember using a Limit attack throughout the fight as well (Trinity Limit), as it can take a good chunk of his health off (at least half his HP bar).

Mmm.....my trick when I played the original KH's (PS2 version, not the final mix one) was to dodge roll away from him when he tried pulling that off and kept spamming cure on myself (if you didn't use magic throughout the fight, you should have enough of it to cast cure on yourself at least twice I think).

Granted, its been a few years since I played KH1, so sorry if my tip doesn't help.
No that is what I have been doing. The problem is not getting that much of a chance to attack him. You get about 5 to 10 secs to do it, before he becomes untouchable and starts teleporting like crazy. So I keep healing until I eventually run out of MP. Then it's over /: gonna keep at it later today, but man I haven't been this frustrated with a game in a while.

RK128

No that is what I have been doing. The problem is not getting that much of a chance to attack him. You get about 5 to 10 secs to do it, before he becomes untouchable and starts teleporting like crazy. So I keep healing until I eventually run out of MP. Then it's over /: gonna keep at it later today, but man I haven't been this frustrated with a game in a while.

I guess one thing you can do is use some spells when he goes into that mode or use one of your Limit attacks (at that point in the game, you do have one or two of them Sora can do on his own); when a Limit is activated, you get some invincibility frames, so you can by-pass Riku's untouchable state and lands a few hits.

Like I said, haven't played the original KH's in years, so sorry if that does't help :(.

My goal for July is to finish one of the two games I got on the flash sale, Tales of Hearts R or Hyperdimension. Its looking like more time will go into NepNep then Tales though. Or should I put those on hold and finish P4G?

Zhao_Yun

My goal for July is to finish one of the two games I got on the flash sale, Tales of Hearts R or Hyperdimension. Its looking like more time will go into NepNep then Tales though. Or should I put those on hold and finish P4G?

Where are you in P4G? P4G is a very long game and I know some friends who played something else in between and thereafter struggled to get into it again. So if I were you I'd finish P4G first before moving to another game.

RK128

You are in a touch spot man; three long JRPG's to play through all at once!

My tip would be to put a few hours into each game and see which one 'grabs' you the most; that is the one you try to beat first. Than, you do that same thing to decide the next game to beat, leaving the last one left.

But from my experiences with all three games, I recommend you do the following:
-Play through P4G first; fantastic JRPG that is really welcoming to newcomers of the genre (like myself back in early 2014)
-Than play through Tales of Hearts R; not as great as P4G but it has a great combat system, a charming cast of characters and has a solid but not amazing presentation (granted, it is a remaster/remake of a JP-only DS game, so the fact it looks on pair with a PS2 game is very impressive in my book :D).
-Lastly, play though Neptiuna Rebirth 1; that game is enjoyable thanks to its really funny cast of characters and really colorful visuals (not to mention a great soundtrack). But it has difficulty spikes and if you don't get the cheap DLC to help things out or level grind frequently, you will die. Over and over again to the same bosses :(. But once you overcome this issue (which should be by the mid-way point in the game), then it becomes a great JRPG to play :D.

wilflare

SerTapTap

Everyone is mumbling about Rocket League so I'll be trying that, Styx and Geometry Wars 3, both of which I was kinda interested in but never did pick up. Mousecraft doesn't seem super interesting, not very into puzzle games lately anyway.

Neptunia 1 right? Rebirth 1 is very short for a JRPG, like 20 hours for a first playthrough I think. Dunno about that TAles specifically but they're usually longer. My completely and totally unbiased opinion leans towards playing Neptunia first anyway.

Well I was at
Just after Nanako in the hospital
but I had to sell my Vita a while ago and put my save on PS+ cloud. I don't have PS+ right now so I had to start over and I am currently
saving Rise
. So it is either going through the game a second time or getting more into a game I haven't done.

There are so many games I need to catch up on with this system now. Even if Sony stops supporting it in a week I'll have tons to look forward to still.

Edit:
Yeah it is Neptunia 1. I couldn't pass that price up.

Nekoburo Catsblock is out next week for Vita in US and EU

1.jpg

8.jpg

IT'S SO CUTE

Li Kao

Everyone is mumbling about Rocket League so I'll be trying that, Styx and Geometry Wars 3, both of which I was kinda interested in but never did pick up. Mousecraft doesn't seem super interesting, not very into puzzle games lately anyway.

Neptunia 1 right? Rebirth 1 is very short for a JRPG, like 20 hours for a first playthrough I think. Dunno about that TAles specifically but they're usually longer. My completely and totally unbiased opinion leans towards playing Neptunia first anyway.

And my opinion is that I'm really bitter to have chosen Tales over Nep in what to play first. There may be really dark times ahead and I could use some laugh for one. And 10+ hours into Tales and the game is wearing out its welcome quite starkly.
The combat system still haven't clicked with me, it still is just a mess for the moment. And the whole third town storyline was a wreck. I am supremely not what you could call a moe hater or whatever, but Beryl ? That thing must burn in a fire. Good Lord. A noisy kid with a ridiculously oversized hat and a giant brush. Who dreams of becoming a court painter and distorts every other word because someone somewhere must find it cute.
Burn.

And my opinion is that I'm really bitter to have chosen Tales over Nep in what to play first. There may be really dark times ahead and I could use some laugh for one. And 10+ hours into Tales and the game is wearing out its welcome quite starkly.
The combat system still haven't clicked with me, it still is just a mess for the moment. And the whole third town storyline was a wreck. I am supremely not what you could call a moe hater or whatever, but Beryl ? That thing must burn in a fire. Good Lord. A noisy kid with a ridiculously oversized hat and brush. Who dream of becoming a court painter and distort every other word because someone somewhere must find it cute.
Burn.

This is all Tales games for me. Battle system just doesn't really click with me, meh story and SUPER ANNOYING characters

I'll give the series a try again with Zestiria on PS4 but if that doesn't grab me I'm done for good
But is it good?

Hard to say when it isn't out yet!
EDIT: It's out in Asia actually, so I'll try to find some impressions

https://www.techinasia.com/catsblock-vestival-review/
sounds good!

Catsblock Vestival is a combination of Catsblock Timeboom (a Facebook puzzle game) and Catsland, the simulator we got a chance to try last year. It brings depth and breadth to a cat simulator by allowing you to earn rewards and advance through the story by completing match-3 puzzles.

The Catsblock aliens have crash landed on earth and gotten separated from one another. The intrepid Totan is the first cat you come across, and he’s taken in by a little girl enchanted by his cute looks. Totan realizes that the girl – or his slave, so he thinks – would welcome more of his adorable kin, and he sets out to rescue them. Or rather, you set out to rescue them by completing stage after stage of match-3 puzzles.

The puzzle feature in Catsblock Vestival is interesting. It’s set at an isometric angle rather than your usual top down or horizontal view, and this makes aiming a little difficult. Columns of three cats will drop down endlessly, and you must match at least three of the same color in order to clear them off the board. Each level has a select number of colored cats you must eliminate in order to progress and there are a total of five stages with ten levels each.

Khronico

Well, ordered a 32gb card (Found a cheap one). I was debating on whether or not to get a 64gb but I decided on 32 since I'll be mostly buying physical where possible (I'll keep my 16gb as a backup).

Looking at the lineup this month I'll probably get Lost Dimension and MAYBE Blazblue.

RK128

The combat system still haven't clicked with me, it still is just a mess for the moment. And the whole third town storyline was a wreck. I am supremely not what you could call a moe hater or whatever, but Beryl ? That thing must burn in a fire. Good Lord. A noisy kid with a ridiculously oversized hat and a giant brush. Who dreams of becoming a court painter and distorts every other word because someone somewhere must find it cute.
Burn.

I agree with you the story being weak; it went from "Fix the mistake I made by breaking a girls heart!" to "Wars are coming! People inside that girls heart? Um....robot guy joining the party? That's cool......" Didn't need to be so complex by the mid-way point but when the game clicks with people, they really enjoy it (like me, as I really like the game so far :D).

Beryl is annoying though :l; she yells the most out of the cast and outside of one or two stat-buff Artes, she is not that useful in combat either. The robot guy you meet latter in the game just came out of nowhere XD! Just this guy with spider-like arms popping up stating "I'm here to protect the princess! Nothing gets in my way!" is just....priceless :').

SerTapTap

Nekoburo Catsblock is out next week for Vita in US and EU

IT'S SO CUTE

Sweet jesus what is this and where is my insulin

Yeah it is Neptunia 1. I couldn't pass that price up.

Price was really too good...I bought it and I already own it on cart...and PC...and platinumed it. But <$10 for a game I loved and I'll occasionally buy a digital copy just for convenience. Wish I did that when Victory was $7.50 because I had to go fish out my disk to do some comparisons with Victory 2 (neptunia victory 2 is sooooo gooood btw)

Burn.

Moe isn't the problem, little kids are the problem. The ~8 year old characters (Rom, Ram, Broccoli, Gust, Peashy) are like the only characters in Neptunia I don't adore. They're usually written really poorly. Genis in Tales of Symphonia was alright though. He was a believable and nerdy kid instead of focusing on "kawaii I am 8 and am a dick to people because it is okay for kids to be disgusting foul human beings"

And yeah, humor is underrated in games and it's nice to have something to fall back and laugh with. I'll play about anything as long as it can make me laugh.

This is all Tales games for me. Battle system just doesn't really click with me, meh story and SUPER ANNOYING characters

Tales has issues with characters, Symphonia had the best set for my money. No one was TOO stupid or annoying, good mix of personalities, neither of the kids were terrible (presea doesnt' even act like a kid). I enjoyed Xillia but at the same time it had a number of flaws and burned me out on the series again. I think I'll pass on Zesty unless reviews are great (JP reception wasn't hot though)

RK128

I'll give the series a try again with Zestiria on PS4 but if that doesn't grab me I'm done for good

The series is known for those kinds of issues? I do enjoy the combat system of Tales of Hearts R (and I heard that is one of the weaker games in the series), so I would assume that latter games would be stronger (Xillia 1 and 2 must be solid games if they got years of games to work with in terms of fixing things).

The series is known for those kinds of issues? I do enjoy the combat system of Tales of Hearts R (and I heard that is one of the weaker games in the series), so I would assume that latter games would be stronger (Xillia 1 and 2 must be solid games if they got years of games to work with in terms of fixing things).

That's just my opinion, many many people seem to love the series and battle systems.
I just can't really get into them for one reason or another

RK128

That's just my opinion, many many people seem to love the series and battle systems.
I just can't really get into them for one reason or another

Okay, thank you for clarifying that YianGaruga :). Sorry that you can't get into them; guess the story elements really ruin the experience, and when you are talking about JRPG's.....they kinda need to have a strong story.

Look no further than FFXIII; great combat system all around but very confusing plot that ruins everything the game does right :l.

Chuy

Equip ethers and potions in order to stay healthy.
Also try jumping / gliding during the blade teleport spam and you'll survive. Block/parry after attacks and it should be fairly easy

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Famitsu scans are out and grand Kingdom looks great, but the sorceress design is the same as the sorceress design for the original dragon's crown for dreamcast! XD

wilflare

Your browser should have an element inspector (right click on a page). That way you can see a background's sourcelink.

<3 a hero and a saint!
thanks!

does anyone know if Sony uses a font for the PlayStation x Spotify Logo?
been wanting to include it as part of my stream scene

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This month keeps on delivering.

Is it the same artist or just coincidence?

I don't know who is the artist but the game certainly wants to look vanillawaresque, in fact it's meant to be grand knight history spiritual successor.

bobohoro

Ehhh. Not feeling any of this month's PS+ stuff.

Yeah, feel largely the same. Well, still got stuff from the steam summer sale to play, as well as Hearts R and Orsehika, so I'm good for July, especially if the weather stays beautiful.

Honestly, Tales games are kinda going downhill since Abyss/Vesperia. Xillia 2 would have been a somewhat great game, if it weren't for the amount of garbage carried over from part 1 and silent Ludger. Graces F has the best battle system, but has nothing else going for it. Hearts R actually feels better than both to me, since it's so honest in being a total low-budget title and therefore just plays everything straight. Yeah, it's silly for the most part, but fun.

I like to play them, but they are nowhere near being among my favourite RPGs and I can definitely see why some/many people aren't too fond of the series.

What's next, Trails in the Sky Second Chapter released in July?

Don't play with my feelings Shizuka. I can't take the wait as it is.

Hikami

Beryl is annoying though :l; she yells the most out of the cast and outside of one or two stat-buff Artes, she is not that useful in combat either.
I thought the same at first but she actually became my favorite character by the end of the game

Ephidel

Well you've sold me on Gunhouse at least. Never noticed it before but that looks pretty interesting, and for 49cents I doubt it can let me down.

Well you've sold me on Gunhouse at least. Never noticed it before but that looks pretty interesting, and for 49cents I doubt it can let me down.

Cool. Yeah I probably should have put prices on there. Lots of good games for less than $1. A couple of months ago a bunch of developers lowered their prices.

autoduelist

Do you have the same Atlus one? I swear Sony must just use Atlus to fill in weeks without any other sales. I wish they'd swap with NISA sometimes, only recent NISA stuff I recall was Battle Princess of Arcadias which, while fun, I'm pretty sure bombed at it's $30 digital only price, and I think some stuff in the golden week sale.

Sony doesn't control which publishers have sales.

Wha? It was on sale last month! If true good going sony. The game is trash btw.

Putting a game on sale a month or two before it going free on PS+ has been a common practice :p

I think the common practice is [generally] thinking a sale several months ago was 'last month'. In this case, though, it's cutting it close -- it was was on sale for $3 on May 15. They've been pretty good [if not perfect?] about waiting at least a month... I mean, at some point they need to be able to put games on sale... I guess 2 months would be a better wait time, but 1.5 months isn't terrible.

I never worry about that. If I bought something, that means I wanted it at that price and was happy I got it. No reason to turn that happiness into despair because i could have saved $3 if I waited months. That's practically a given. If I waited 5 years, Bloodborne will be $5 too.

ChrisD

Sorry to jump in the middle of the conversation here, but where would you guys recommend picking up Japanese PSN credit? Is Play-Asia the best bet? They don't seem too bad, but there's still a reasonable up-charge consider how much I need (6300~ for Taiko).

If anywhere is a good place to ask I figured it was where VitaGAF still resides. :p

Ephidel

Cool. Yeah I probably should have put prices on there. Lots of good games for less than $1. A couple of months ago a bunch of developers lowered their prices.
This works so much better than it probably should and it's harder than it looks. Fun though. Love the style.

Looking forward to seeing your top ten :)

Yasumi

Banned
Sorry to jump in the middle of the conversation here, but where would you guys recommend picking up Japanese PSN credit? Is Play-Asia the best bet? They don't seem too bad, but there's still a reasonable up-charge consider how much I need (6300~ for Taiko).

If anywhere is a good place to ask I figured it was where VitaGAF still resides. :p
I order from Japan-codes all the time. Code delivery can take 12-ish hours sometimes, but they're easily the cheapest and I've never had a problem with them.

ChrisD

I order from Japan-codes all the time. Code delivery can take 12-ish hours sometimes, but they're easily the cheapest and I've never had a problem with them.

Had never heard of them, thanks. I can wait for 48 hours at their prices haha.

I really need to jump over to Playstation Mobile and grab everything I was interested in. It was one of those out of sight, out of mind things. I feel bad for all the developers that used the program, with that in mind.

Valkyria

Banned
I just saw Ar no Surge on the european store. I was interested long ago in Ar tonelico Qoga, I believe is from the same Saga. Does this game plays like Hyper Dimension Neptunia (pretty much a VN with Dungeons) or it is more traditional RPG like Final Fantasy, Lunar... were you embark a grand adventure to visit many locations around the world?

Top Bottom