• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

antibolo

Banned
PSTV compatibility whitelist makes no goddamn sense. Apart from AR games there is literally no Vita game that is objectively impossible to play on the PSTV. They could at least allow all games when using a DS4, which emulates the touchscreen pretty damn perfectly. Rear touch would still be awkward, but not impossible.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
PSTV compatibility whitelist makes no goddamn sense. Apart from AR games there is literally no Vita game that is objectively impossible to play on the PSTV. They could at least allow all games when using a DS4, which emulates the touchscreen pretty damn perfectly. Rear touch would still be awkward, but not impossible.

lol you do realize how much work that would be right?

since it seems they are having "issues" even getting supported titles over to the US also, the chances of them going the extra mile wasting time with adding that type of functionality would be a snowballs chance in hell.

Tohsaka

I don't know what the problem with IFI getting Re;birth1 whitelisted is. I remember there were several other games like SAO that didn't work initially, and then did shortly afterwards without a patch.

Too much work I guess.

SerTapTap

Murasaki Baby would be pretty damn hard--actually I think no gyro makes it impossible, and for some reason the PS TV won't use the gyro even if you have a DS4 (it doesn't seem worse than the Vita's gyro that I can tell). But still, PS TV should be a blacklist not a whitelist. Or have an option to let you play games not on their stupid list. I made a post in their support forums about it but I doubt it got much traction.

Also I doubt licenses are an issue here. PSP -> Vita yes, but this is still the same platform

They did confirm that it's never getting Playstation TV support, that's it.

I know, won't stop me from yelling at them. I'll never get review copies from them I bet, lol

Are you serious? They didnt add it for the US ver? Odd considering the JP one has it...
Nope, and as above, they explicitly stated they WON'T.

Parakeetman

Nope, and as above, they explicitly stated they WON'T.

Good lord, what a bunch of idiots.

Btw while it wont really do anything you should go tweet the issue to Shuhei Yoshida for the hell of it and name drop the company / game too if it fits lol.

antibolo

Banned
lol you do realize how much work that would be right?

since it seems they are having "issues" even getting supported titles over to the US also, the chances of them going the extra mile wasting time with adding that type of functionality would be a snowballs chance in hell.

What do you mean? What I'm suggesting would not require any work, they should just let us play anything we have installed, period. If a game is really unsuited to the PSTV they can just hide it from the PSTV store so PSTV-only owners won't risk buying it.

SerTapTap

Good lord, what a bunch of idiots.

Btw while it wont really do anything you should go tweet the issue to Shuhei Yoshida for the hell of it and name drop the company / game too if it fits lol.

Any evidence they've taken note of issues like this? It seems like there's certification so it's probably partly on Sony and partly on Dev, I'm not sure they could just magically whitelist

Crazy thing is Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds managed to get whitelisted post-launch, and 5pb international seem to be a way smaller company (the original english listing for PBBG was pure Engrish). They even got PS TV sorted out even though they were porting to Steam (I do wonder if that's part of why IFI isn't bothering)

antibolo

Banned
Any evidence they've taken note of issues like this? It seems like there's certification so it's probably partly on Sony and partly on Dev, I'm not sure they could just magically whitelist

Crazy thing is Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds managed to get whitelisted post-launch, and 5pb international seem to be a way smaller company (the original english listing for PBBG was pure Engrish). They even got PS TV sorted out even though they were porting to Steam (I do wonder if that's part of why IFI isn't bothering)

Oh, that's an interesting conspiracy theory. Maybe they're holding off the PSTV support outside of Japan to not cannibalize Steam sales.

Parakeetman

Not too sure really, as over here in Japan there have been some titles that were delayed but added in later. Operation Abyss was like that initially actually and I had spoken with the producer about it. He mentioned that it was in the hands of the publisher at the time.

Its more prodding Shu to tell him that the support fucking sucks and things like this is why the PSV TV is falling flat on its ass outside of like fire sales with the latest amazon sale for it. While it may not do anything, putting names of companies out there that are not doing their part just adds pressure.

Oh, that's an interesting conspiracy theory. Maybe they're holding off the PSTV support outside of Japan to not cannibalize Steam sales.

Doubt it, since different markets. If they were real hardcore fans they would have picked it up on the Vita already. Its not exactly a game that you would go bothering to buy twice of the same port.

With how the steam crowd is most people will be sitting on their hands waiting for a sale anyways.

Now in the event if now IF that is the reason, someone in the company is a fucking moron. And poorly effects the image of both the overseas branch of IF and Sony.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Transistor seems like an odd game. I feel like I'm missing some essential features because I don't know enough about what's going on. Still, happy to have the experience for free.

It's been said many times already in various threads, but these things do take some amount of work. There's not just a switch that some intern can flip and -bang- it's compatible. Someone has to do at least some amount of work to code in DualShock controls, and it seems like Sony has decided to put in the baseline minimum of effort. I'll agree with you that there's really no excuse for first party titles like WipeOut. You'd think Sony would want to support a device with their name on it. But I can't blame third party publishers or indie developers for not giving a shit about a platform that is just a fraction of what's already a small slice of the market.

Transistor seems like an odd game. I feel like I'm missing some essential features because I don't know enough about what's going on. Still, happy to have the experience for free.

Yep. There's definitely a feeling of just hanging without knowing what you're really doing. SuperGiant leaves it to you to figure it out. Sometimes that's cool (Spelunky, etc) but I don't like it here. It all just feels so … vague and up its own ass.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real shame is that a proper 1080p Vita TV marketed to the west when the Vita launched might have done something in the market as we're the ones who like the stuck to a screen experience more.

Parakeetman

It's been said many times already in various threads, but these things do take some amount of work. There's not just a switch that some intern can flip and -bang- it's compatible. Someone has to do at least some amount of work to code in DualShock controls, and it seems like Sony has decided to put in the baseline minimum of effort. I'll agree with you that there's really no excuse for first party titles like WipeOut. You'd think Sony would want to support a device with their name on it. But I can't blame third party publishers or indie developers for not giving a shit about a platform that is just a fraction of what's already a small slice of the market.

The thing is with some of the titles, such as this one for example it works in Japan as is currently. Which has me wondering wtf happens with when it becomes localized and it is not included.

SerTapTap

Gameplay or story? Story-wise, that's very much their style. Gameplay-wise, just combine your functions and try everything out. There's a practice room too. Combat system gets far, far deeper as the game goes on. It's one of my favorite games of 2014, my only complaint was the lack of all too much to do once you've completely maxed your level--I'd love some sort of endless challenge/roguelike mode. But I NG+'d it twice

It's been said many times already in various threads, but these things do take some amount of work. There's not just a switch that some intern can flip and -bang- it's compatible. Someone has to do at least some amount of work to code in DualShock controls, and it seems like Sony has decided to put in the baseline minimum of effort. I'll agree with you that there's really no excuse for first party titles like WipeOut. You'd think Sony would want to support a device with their name on it. But I can't blame third party publishers or indie developers for not giving a shit about a platform that is just a fraction of what's already a small slice of the market

So from a developer perspective is it seriously more complicated than L1 on Vita being automatically being mapped to L1 on DS3/4, because multiple non-compatible games literally do not use touch for anything important (in Rebirth it's only uses are to skip dialog and look up skirts on the equipment screen) and some games like Monster Monpiece work despite not being patched since before the PS TV released. Also several games plat after a quick live area refresh with no update, which makes me pretty sure the controls, so long as they're physical controls only, require no actual reworking

antibolo

Banned

That can't be true, because the vast majority of whitelisted games do absolutely nothing to specifically support DualShock controls. It's literally just a switch on the server side. Some games used to be not whitelisted, and then suddenly were, without any patch to the game itself.

All I'm saying is that the whitelist thing is a dumb useless restriction and should be taken out, if a game is really unsuited for the PSTV it should simply be missing from the storefront on the PSTV, as it is already is right now. All the whitelisting is doing right now is blocking people from playing games they already own.

There's no reason to block a game like say, Wipeout 2048. Yes, the UI is dependent on touchscreen, but with the built-in touchscreen emulation of the PSTV (pressing L3, or using the DS4 touchpad), it would still be entirely playable, just clunky. They can still make it unavailable from the PSTV storefront, just so ordinary people don't just buy it and get confused/frustrated by the UI being badly suited (but still workable) to the PSTV.

nampad

Fat Princess: Piece of Cake - is awesome match 3. GET IT!
Montezuma Blitz - is ok but has been superseded on match 3 by Fat Princess.
Jetpack Joyride - I think is F2P now
Crazy Market - This is actually a fun phone type game
Frobisher Says - is free WarioWare type game
Toro Friend Network - Boring game unless you want to increase your friend list.

GUNS UP! - Could be good.

There has been a lot of free to play garbage out there on Vita. Beware.

I recommend:
- Destiny of Spirits
- Fat Princess: Piece of Cake
- Jetpack Joyride (don't know if it's still F2P)
- Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
- (BreakQuest: Extra Evolution, but this one is no longer F2P)

Edit: ninja'd by FriedConsole.

As for Crazy Market, I found that one pretty horrible. Only 3 lives, 20 minute regeneration time. The latter levels felt like they were made to force the player to open his wallet.

Thanks, seems like I have all of the important ones. Thought maybe PS Mobile offers some gems.
Addicted to Fat Princess myself right now even though it is just another match 3 game like Candy Crush. And Candy Crush doesn't even have the random factor of Fat Princess which makes it kind of fairer.
Fat Princess did also crash some times on me and there is no restart button if you fail :/

More fund for my Vita. I'll take that chance.

And that's a lovely image.

PSO2. Fucking SEGA.

:(

antibolo

Banned
Anybody here owns more than one 64GB memory card?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a second one, but it feels like such an unreasonable use of my money.

In any case where is the cheapest place to buy one nowadays?

Parakeetman

Anybody here owns more than one 64GB memory card?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a second one, but it feels like such an unreasonable use of my money.

In any case where is the cheapest place to buy one nowadays?

Have 3.

2 are full.

Is the flash sale over in NA? It's listed on the storefront but all the prices are back to normal, even when in my cart.

EDIT: Ah, yep, it's over. Ended several hours ago. Really idiotic that they keep the banners up for sales after they're over.

antibolo

Banned
Have 3.

2 are full.

You truly are a god among men, Parakeetman. Championing the Vita from your ivory throne in Japan.

Anyway, I think I'll settle for a 32GB, they're currently discounted on amazon.ca, and with the Canadian dollar being down the shitter right now, importing a 64GB card means at least an extra $30 premium.

Parakeetman

You truly are a god among men, Parakeetman. Championing the Vita from your ivory throne in Japan.

Anyway, I think I'll settle for a 32GB, they're currently discounted on amazon.ca, and with the Canadian dollar being down the shitter right now, importing a 64GB card means at least an extra $30 premium.

Its a ton of PS1 and PSP stuff thats why. The library here is pretty insane compared to the West. Though you guys get better PS2 stuff. The Atlus fans in Japan are still pissed they never got all the PS2 titles the West got lol

Over here whats unfortunate is that there are a lot of other great PSP games that I guess never had a digital version made so never made it to PSN. Such as the Macross games for example.

antibolo

Banned
Its a ton of PS1 and PSP stuff thats why. The library here is pretty insane compared to the West. Though you guys get better PS2 stuff. The Atlus fans in Japan are still pissed they never got all the PS2 titles the West got lol

Over here whats unfortunate is that there are a lot of other great PSP games that I guess never had a digital version made so never made it to PSN. Such as the Macross games for example.

I still rock my PSP 3000 for PSP games, so they won't consume precious memory card storage on my Vita.

Re: PS2 stuff, I'm not so sure it's better here, as Japan did get the Sega Ages series and all that cool stuff (which is awesome for us because it means much easier PS2 game importing due to no region locking lol).

Parakeetman

I still rock my PSP 3000 for PSP games, so they won't consume precious memory card storage on my Vita.

Yeah if you still have a working unit its for the best.

I still got my OG, 3000 and a backup unit that I purchased before production of them stopped.

Though I wonder how the battery shelf life is in general if you do not use them for an extended amount of time.

The 3000 really was a nice step up from the original unit though. By far the best made one out of them all was the special Monster Hunter one due to the type of material the body used like some rubber coating along with the concave analog nub.

psp-3000-monster-hunter-portable-3rd-hunter-s-model.jpg

Am actually tempted to blow 300 on getting another, thats how well made it was. But unfortunately will not since am already over budget as is. D:

^^ I'm always jelous of all those lovely color combinations and limited editions Japan gets :)
Through PSP era wasn't bad in west - we got quite a few colors to choose from.

Speaking of compatibility (even though the thread has slightly moved off it now D:), I wish Sony could at least try and get some of the PSP & PS1 games that are on PSN compatible with Vita in all regions.

I mean, I'm glad they tripped the switch last year and I got SSX On Tour/Burnout Legends/Theme Hospital on my Vita, but still. Especially for Sony's own titles (Twisted Metal Head On/Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow) it just seems bizarre to not make any effort to make them compatible.

Speaking of compatibility (even though the thread has slightly moved off it now D:), I wish Sony could at least try and get some of the PSP & PS1 games that are on PSN compatible with Vita in all regions.

I mean, I'm glad they tripped the switch last year and I got SSX On Tour/Burnout Legends/Theme Hospital on my Vita, but still. Especially for Sony's own titles (Twisted Metal Head On/Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow) it just seems bizarre to not make any effort to make them compatible.

Wat.

SSX On Tour is Vita compatible? In North America?

That's one PSP game I wouldn't mind playing again.

Vylash

PSTV is such a joke, i feel sorry for people who got suckered into buying it

Takao

Banned
PSTV is such a joke, i feel sorry for people who got suckered into buying it

If you bought a PSTV and post on a forum like NeoGAF, I think you had to know things were going to be bad. It's an off-shoot of a less commercially unappealing product that constantly gets the stink eye from Sony.

Wat.

SSX On Tour is Vita compatible? In North America?

That's one PSP game I wouldn't mind playing again.

have you already forgotten last year's glitch of legend?

I was broke during the glitch and missed out, not much I can do about that now.

As Takao says, it's one of the things I snatched when Sony effed up last year.

None of EA's PSP titles are Vita-compatible in the UK, which is frustrating because they hold a lot of things hostage that I'd want to play on it (Command & Conquer; SSX; Burnout; Need for Speed; The Sims; Theme Hospital; Syndicate Wars etc.)

As I mentioned, I managed to get a few of them thanks to the glitch, but the rest of them... :'(

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Any GTA V players here? So I'm playing GTA V on PS4 and you know how when you fire on the run in the PS3 version the aiming reticule stays on screen for a few seconds when you stop firing but keep moving? On the PS4 version the reticule disappears immediately. So basically it's impossible to aim while moving without constantly spraying your gun. Did they seriously change that for the PS4 version or is this a glitch or something? This is making the combat much worse than the PS3 version.

Takao

Banned
i'd love to play a non-window and pillar boxed version of phantasy star portable 2 on my tv but rip 32gb card and backup

Hikami

Been playing a bit of the Oreshika demo on the JP PSN store. The game is great, a lot more interesting and better looking than I thought it would be.

Looked up some stuff and it seems the demo came out a week before the game came out in Japan. You guys think we'll get the demo at all here?

I'm leaning towards no since we didn't even get the Freedom Wars demo..

Top Bottom