• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

antibolo

Banned
It's the truth though, look here. You get yourself one if these (which is free) and you do your thing:
http://i.imgur.com/gHCKX9J.png

Platinum get SEVEN days rather than just 3. So really anyone can do this.

If I wasn't already avoiding EBGames like the plague I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't do it, exploiting a "satisfaction returns guarantee" policy seems kinda... I don't know. Anyway when I buy a game I usually expect it to remain a part of my collection.

If I wasn't already avoiding EBGames like the plague I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't do it, exploiting a "satisfaction returns guarantee" policy seems kinda... I don't know. Anyway when I buy a game I usually expect it to remain a part of my collection.

It was an employee that told me about this as I was buying the game, so I'm pretty sure this is something that they want, since the game will be sold as used and they make all of the money back.

RK128

Finished the Order. Never knew EB had a full refund policy for 3 days on opened games... Gonna return this and put the money towards Type-0, making it essentially a free game. Demos are free after all ;)

Saw your post about the game earlier; sounded like a fun game for a playthrough but not one worth the full 60 bucks :l. The game got slammed hard by reviewers for issues that (sadly :() many of us predicted; bland gameplay, very hand-holdly and it having lots of QTE's everywhere. I will admit that the game looks fantastic and that its world is ripe for a potential sequel though :).

Great news regarding how you can trade it in :D; being able to play Type-0 and the FFXV Demo for almost nothing sounds great :).

Hikami

I'm so ready for a Vita flash sale tommorow since its the third anniversary in NA & EU

Who else loaded up their psn wallets?

I bought that $50 psn card for $40 thing from ebay.
Was just taking advantage of the offer though and using it to buy Oreshika later. Doubt we'll get a flash sale.

RK128

I'm so ready for a Vita flash sale tommorow since its the third anniversary in NA & EU

Who else loaded up their psn wallets?

If we really are getting a flash sale....I hope we get another wave of 1 dollar PS1 games :D! You can't get enough of those after all :); would love to pick up FF8, Tomba, and others for a dollar :D.

Finished the Order. Never knew EB had a full refund policy for 3 days on opened games... Gonna return this and put the money towards Type-0, making it essentially a free game. Demos are free after all ;)

Scanning the Gamestop website, I don't think they have that policy... Otherwise I would be really tempted to do that. Especially for such a short game.

Saw your post about the game earlier; sounded like a fun game for a playthrough but not one worth the full 60 bucks :l. The game got slammed hard by reviewers for issues that (sadly :() many of us predicted; bland gameplay, very hand-holdly and it having lots of QTE's everywhere. I will admit that the game looks fantastic and that its world is ripe for a potential sequel though :).

Great news regarding how you can trade it in :D; being able to play Type-0 and the FFXV Demo for almost nothing sounds great :).

It is a very strong beginning to what I think can be a great IP. They nailed the engine down, now for a sequel they can focus a bit more on the pacing and level design. Also, more character development, I loved the characters in this. They left a lot open, in the end.

Scanning the Gamestop website, I don't think they have that policy... Otherwise I would be really tempted to do that. Especially for such a short game.

Strange, you would think they have it too, I mean EB is the Canadian Gamestop...

wilflare

kinda sad that everyone is crapping on the Order :( wonder if people will end up liking after the dust settles down

the hatetrain can be unstoppable at times (I'm guilty of it myself sometimes for other stuff, etc)

Massa

kinda sad that everyone is crapping on the Order :( wonder if people will end up liking after the dust settles down

the hatetrain can be unstoppable at times (I'm guilty of it myself sometimes for other stuff, etc)

Vita owners should know that better than anyone.

Seems like Ready at Dawn made the kind of game they wanted to make and quite a lot of people are enjoying it.

ryseing

It's not AWFUL. Just could have been so much more.

RK128

It is a very strong beginning to what I think can be a great IP. They nailed the engine down, now for a sequel they can focus a bit more on the pacing and level design. Also, more character development, I loved the characters in this. They left a lot open, in the end.

The world the game has looks so fascinating and I was honestly really hyped for it (when I first hear Ready at Dawn were making this, I was so hyped for it :D! They made the best God of War AND Jak & Daxter game, so they can do no wrong in my eyes :)). But when more was shown off, I just didn't like how the gameplay looked so....plain, if that makes sense :l.

I'm just glad that while it is divisive, many seem to really enjoy the tittle and that it can be the Uncharted 1 or the Ratchet and Clank 1 for Ready at Dawn; a powerful foundation that can become...quite something in a potential sequel :).

Chuy

Nature of the industry now sadly. Either you live up to unrealistic hype or there's massive backlash.
Went movie shopping with a couple of friends earlier and saw 3 used copies of the game for sale already with another trying to sell his copy while complaining how terrible the game is.

It's not AWFUL. Just could have been so much more.

I didn't dislike the game, I personally feel like it shouldn't have gotten anything below a 7-7.5. The game looks great, feels great, just has some pacing issues, the story leaves you wanting a lot more (which arguably could be a good thing IF we knew that a sequel is coming for sure). I was glad I played it.

The world the game has looks so fascinating and I was honestly really hyped for it (when I first hear Ready at Dawn were making this, I was so hyped for it :D! They made the best God of War AND Jak & Daxter game, so they can do no wrong in my eyes :)). But when more was shown off, I just didn't like how the gameplay looked so....plain, if that makes sense :l.

I'm just glad that while it is divisive, many seem to really enjoy the tittle and that it can be the Uncharted 1 or the Ratchet and Clank 1 for Ready at Dawn; a powerful foundation that can become...quite something in a potential sequel :).

Yes this is exactly that in my eyes. This is an Uncharted 1 for sure, now let's hope RAD can take their experiences and knowledge and walk the extra mile, giving us a full fledged sequel to the game. Again, the ending in 1887 is left open, with a lot of unanswered questions... I feel like we will see an Order 1888 in 2016 or so.

Tohsaka

I enjoyed it, currently replaying parts of it to get the collectibles I missed for the platinum trophy. My only issue with the game is that I wish it were a bit longer.

Producer

I was watching my brother play The Order (lol)

It was pretty and all, and seemed to have solid shooting mechanics but damn these type of games just bore me to hell.

Seems like they put in every AAA game element for the past half decade or so into a blender, then out came this game. So far it looks like PS4's first party output is going to be even worse than PS3's.

Massa

It was pretty and all, and seemed to have solid shooting mechanics but damn these type of games just bore me to hell.

Seems like they put in every AAA game element for the past half decade or so into a blender, then out came this game. So far it looks like PS4's first party output is going to be even worse than PS3's.

Being heavy on store is not a AAA thing. Heck, indie games are doing that more and better these days.

Unless that's not what you meant?

Vylash

i'm very selective with what AAA games i bother with, i only bought 4 during the PS3 era and it's been a very good life decision

Flandy

I thought the order was decent. Reviews were too harsh imo. Would definitively play a sequel. With that said, I'm gonna trade this in tomorrow at Best Buy :lol

Tohsaka

I hope it gets a sequel. It felt like it was setting the stage for something really interesting, and then it just kinda ended.

JSoup

Banned
Is it possible to turn off trophy syncing when pulling up the trophy list, ala PS3?
Edit: Hmm, seems not. Annoying, with how often this thing fails to figure out how an internet connection works.

Producer

Being heavy on store is not a AAA thing. Heck, indie games are doing that more and better these days.

Unless that's not what you meant?

you mean story? i was more referring to cutscenes, QTE's, linear levels. Like, the mocap and voice acting is good and all but..i really don't care for it lol it doesn't change my opinion on a game at all. I guess the 'cinematic game' type of genre isn't for me, if that really counts as a genre.

Tizoc

Vita owners should know that better than anyone.

Seems like Ready at Dawn made the kind of game they wanted to make and quite a lot of people are enjoying it.

I think that now that it is 2015, views on what games should offer have expanded; I think reviewers want to see gameplay concepts not done before or just an overall good gameplay experience rather than a cinematic experience.

You can still have fun with a game despite how simple it is, but for some they want their money's worth and The Order, despite its fancy graphics may not be worth $60 for some.

What would be worse is if a game has elements that aren't needed like mandatory QTEs, or taking away freedom of movement from the player.
There have been games in the past that still managed to offer immersion and relay cutscene events to you without having to make your character walk slow or stand still (Half Life 2), so seeing such things in games in 2015 just feel outdated and irksome.

So far it looks like PS4's first party output is going to be even worse than PS3's.

I think we are way too early in the console's cycle to say that. Heck you have Bloodborne coming next month and that looks phenomenal. Also Uncharted 4 later this year!

The Order I think was a great introduction for what could be a great IP, I'm pretty sure that more than 50% of their effort and resources were put into building the engine alone, which is one of the most beautiful show cases of graphics up till now, period. Now that they have an established engine, they can use that to make a full fledged sequel. They won't even need to tweak the engine or graphics that much for their second title, I don't see any other dev pulling off what they did in terms of tech any time soon (well maybe The Witcher or Uncharted will prove me wrong here but we'll see).

antibolo

Banned
The PS3 also had a pretty lackluster first party output in its first two years
- Lair
- Giant Enemy Crab
- Heavenly Sword
- Motorstorm (I liked it but it was janky as fuck)
It started getting better around 2008

VLiberty

PS3 in its first year had 5 Sony games that were going from good to great(RFOM, Motorstorm, Folklore, R&C and Uncharted). Now we're 15 months into the PS4 life and it has just inFamous, Driveclub and Killzone. The Order is the PS4's Heavenly Sword, decent game destroyed by expectations.

On the other hand, I think that PS4 has an overall much better library in comparison.

SerTapTap

Since it's a big part of their strategy now, I don't think it's fair to discount Sony-funded indies. Including launch-as-PS+ as "funded", we've got Resogun, Velocity 2X, Hohokum, Binding of Isaac Rebirth, not to mention ports of some of the best downloadable PS3 games like Startdust Ultra, Flower, Unfinished Swan. Pretty great year for me.

I have been playing the Vita more than PS4 lately but that's mostly due to length of games and lower Japanese output on PS4 so far--looks like that's ramping up this year too.

VLiberty

Since it's a big part of their strategy now, I don't think it's fair to discount Sony-funded indies. Including launch-as-PS+ as "funded", we've got Resogun, Velocity 2X, Hohokum, Binding of Isaac Rebirth, not to mention ports of some of the best downloadable PS3 games like Startdust Ultra, Flower, Unfinished Swan. Pretty great year for me.

I have been playing the Vita more than PS4 lately but that's mostly due to length of games and lower Japanese output on PS4 so far--looks like that's ramping up this year too.

I agree, in fact I said that the PS4 year is overall much better than the first PS3 year. Comparing just the "big" sony exclusives, though, PS3 was better. Which is inexcusable since nowthey don't have the "difficult hardware" problem and they aren't committed to directly developingto the handheld anymore. It's been a while that I think that SCE heavily mismanaged their internal teams.

Maid

Banned
I agree, in fact I said that the PS4 year is overall much better than the first PS3 year. Comparing just the "big" sony exclusives, though, PS3 was better. Which is inexcusable since nowthey don't have the "difficult hardware" problem and they aren't committed to directly developingto the handheld anymore. It's been a while that I think that SCE heavily mismanaged their internal teams.

Difficult hardware shouldn't be their obstacle, since they should be the one was familiar with the architecture the most during that day, while game nowadays taking a large amount of resource just for graphic alone.

It's the AAA mindset of current gen that leads to those problem.

Ordered the Noire game.Although I liked the characters and interactions in Rebirth, I didn't like the grindiness and difficulty spikes in it... Will this game have any of that?

liquidtmd

Banned
Odds on a sale for US The Evil Within and Alien Isolation PS4 in the next few weeks?

I've got Alien but not TEW. My sister wants Alien and I told her to hold fire as feel somethings coming

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ordered the Noire game.Although I liked the characters and interactions in Rebirth, I didn't like the grindiness and difficulty spikes in it... Will this game have any of that?

Yes. If you dont grind some of the bosses will beat the shit out of you.

Also battles take way longer than the standard neptunia games.

There really is nothing you can do to take advantage of the game system as this is an SRPG to beat stuff quicker or things you are not supposed to as its for the most part a highly stats based game. Therefore if your character(s) is not up to level they will get stomped.

Where as in the rebirth games you can open up the higher lv dungeons scrape by and kill shit there till you over level so much that you pretty much blow past any story stuff. Its a lot faster than actually trying to progress normally and why they added those into the game.

Odds on a sale for US The Evil Within and Alien Isolation PS4 in the next few weeks?

I've got Alien but not TEW. My sister wants Alien and I told her to hold fire as feel somethings coming

They have been on sale a couple of times, with TEW more often than Alien. I would say its a good chance.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Droppings

Looks like nothing for me unless Starwhal is fun and priced right.

Desert Ashes
PS Vita — Digital
Desert Ashes is a turn-based strategy game with online multiplayer and single-player campaigns, which also boasts an innovative menu system allowing players to enjoy multiple games at once. The Day-Night system adds a dynamic twist to battles including weather conditions that can affect the battlefield map, for example, all bodies of water have the ability to freeze over night!

Dragon Ball Xenoverse
PS4, PS3 — Digital, Retail
The latest Dragon Ball game lets players customize and develop their own male or female warrior from 5 races, and more than 450 items to be used in online and offline adventures. Create the perfect character, learn new skills, and train under the tutelage of your favorite Dragon Ball characters. Help Trunks fight new enemies and restore the original story of the series.

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires
PS4 — Digital, Retail
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is the latest installment of the Empires series, in which you aim to conquer ancient China using both strategy and the one warrior versus one thousand tactical action the Warriors series is known for.

htoL#NiQ -The Firefly Diary-
PS Vita — Digital
At the bottom of an old ruin, a young girl named Mion awakens with no memory of how she arrived at this dreadful place. Guided by two fireflies, Mion must solve puzzles, outwit monsters, and avoid traps to escape the darkness! Direct Mion’s movements as Lumen, and destroy obstacles as the shadowy Umbra. Untold mysteries await…

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
PS Vita — Digital, Retail
Dive into the world of Gamarket, where for the first time ever in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, battle takes the form of a strategy RPG! Gather an army of new allies to fight through maps laden with laser beams, flame pits, and more. Build up Lily Rank between characters to deal massive amounts of damage because being chibi doesn’t mean damage dealt has to be teeny!

Limbo
PS4 — Digital
Uncertain of his sister’s fate, a boy enters Limbo. Witness a dark, meticulously crafted story that has captured the collective imagination of the gaming world and sent chills down the spines of those who play it. Experience the critically-acclaimed classic, now on PS4.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 — Episode One
PS4, PS3 — Digital
Resident Evil Revelations 2 follows two interwoven stories of terror across 4 episodes of intense survival horror. Kidnapped by a unknown group of assailants, Claire and Moira awake to find themselves trapped on an isolated island infested with horrifying creatures beyond imagination.

Rugby 15
PS4, PS3 — Digital, Retail
Play as all of the official Aviva Premiership Rugby, TOP 14, PRO D2 and Pro12 teams in an authentic rugby simulation. Experience all the emotions of a real match with the players, jerseys and official statistics of the 2014-2015 season and commentary by Stuart Barnes and Miles Harrison.

Starwhal
PS4, PS3 — Digital (Cross Buy)
Flop it out with up to 4 players in a retro, epic narwhal battle in space! The heart-piercing action is furious and unrelenting. Starwhal will change your life.
This Digital Entertainment Object for Home Console Hardware is all about love, respect, and ALL-OUT MAYHEM.

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late
PS3 — Digital, Retail
From the companies behind Guilty Gear and BlazBlue comes Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late, an all-new 2D fighting game for PS3! UNIEL strikes the perfect balance between accessibility and depth, offering an experience that both fighting game veterans and those new to the genre can enjoy.

Xevious 3D/G+
PSone Classic — Digital
lones from the planet Xevious are invading Earth. Jump into the starship SOLVALOU in this updated classic as you fight against the forces of supercomputer GAMP. A PSone classic for retro-lovers everywhere.

Top Bottom