• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

bobawesome

I've been contemplating Diablo III from afar for a while, and while I own the game I haven't put too much time into it because of what I read online. I'm scared that I'm playing the game wrong, I see people talking about builds, there's some crazy meta behind the game, looking for the best gear and all that, chasing the best stats. Should I only worry about this stuff after clearing the campaign, if even at all?

Don't even attempt to worry about this stuff until beating the campaign and familiarizing yourself with bloodshards and rifts in adventure mode.

I have hundreds of hours in the game and while I have sets for a few characters I don't keep up with builds. It's not necessary for the enjoyment of the endgame.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can almost guarantee it will never ever show up in the west in an actual store beyond maybe a few weird import stores.

Putosaure

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition coming out this week.

Any reviews regarding the game? Also is it hard and long?

I kinda reviewed it but in french so you might not be interested.

But the game is nice as the original and the port runs smoothly. I didn't tried multiplayer because of the lack of players online but there is DM and coop so it must be great.

incpdo

I kinda reviewed it but in french so you might not be interested.

But the game is nice as the original and the port runs smoothly. I didn't tried multiplayer because of the lack of players online but there is DM and coop so it must be great.

im anxious to play this

I just tried and see if the PS+ subscription was added to the cart or not and it does not go to the cart but a separate payment process. I guess this means we cant extend our PS+ subscription with 10% off....

This sucks.

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition coming out this week.

Any reviews regarding the game? Also is it hard and long?

This will be free anyway (at least in EU PS+) so just download it?

Tizoc

I just tried and see if the PS+ subscription was added to the cart or not and it does not go to the cart but a separate payment process. I guess this means we cant extend our PS+ subscription with 10% off....

This sucks.

This will be free anyway (at least in EU PS+) so just download it?

Wait the 10% discount thing is up? I'll need to tell my brother to send me his EU discount code so I can grab those Asura Wrath DLC :V

How long is the 10% discount valid for?

Wait the 10% discount thing is up? I'll need to tell my brother to send me his EU discount code so I can grab those Asura Wrath DLC :V

How long is the 10% discount valid for?

No, it is not up but it is meant to apply to the cart at checkout and when you select PS+ subscription you get a separate payment process so the PS+ subscription does not go in the cart.

Tizoc

No, it is not up but it is meant to apply to the cart at checkout and when you select PS+ subscription you get a separate payment process so the PS+ subscription does not go in the cart.

Best to wait til the discount is up then check it, try adding regular content to the cart then try to see if PS Plus gets added.

Best to wait til the discount is up then check it, try adding regular content to the cart then try to see if PS Plus gets added.

I had another item added to the cart already but got to a different payment screen for PS+ where I only payed for the subscription

incpdo

How do you get the discount? Is it a code?

Edit. I don't have PS plus so anyone knows how much is the price for duke nukem 3d?

Tizoc

I had another item added to the cart already but got to a different payment screen for PS+ where I only payed for the subscription

I get what you mean, but I still recommend waiting for the store to properly update with this discount and seeing how it goes from there.

Maid

Banned
I've been contemplating Diablo III from afar for a while, and while I own the game I haven't put too much time into it because of what I read online. I'm scared that I'm playing the game wrong, I see people talking about builds, there's some crazy meta behind the game, looking for the best gear and all that, chasing the best stats. Should I only worry about this stuff after clearing the campaign, if even at all?

You can reset stats. I would say just go nut with it until you feel like you have reached a wall, then that's when you started to look back to see if your build is right.

Not a fan of Diablo 3 remote play. Text is way too small on the Vita, and mapping R2 to the rear touch pad isn't great.

You almost always have some kind of buff that activate once every minute or in some case, once for forever so just put it there. It's not so bad.

Remote play is good when you want are grinding for some easy stuffs and don't feel like watching the big screen all the time.

ZeroAKA

That's store dependent and it's always used
What's wrong with a used memory card?

You almost always have some kind of buff that activate once every minute or in some case, once for forever so just put it there. It's not so bad.

Remote play is good when you want are grinding for some easy stuffs and don't feel like watching the big screen all the time.
Honestly, the small text and lag bother me more than the controls. I don't think I'll ever enjoy playing PS4 games through remote play.

Maid

Banned
Honestly, the small text and lag bother me more than the controls. I don't think I'll ever enjoy playing PS4 games through remote play.

That's certainly true, although later on you don't really need to read anything anyway. I guess the most benefit of remote play would be turn based games of some sort.

bobohoro

Finished Neptunia Re;Birth1 today, clocked in at around 25 hours. The game definitely has charme, some real funny and likeable characters, especially NepNep. Even some of its gameplay systems are interesting and addictive, but it ultimately isn't a game I'd recommend since the low budget feel and convulted menu/progression design hold it back tremendously. Shame that Re;Birth2 seems to be largely the same, since there is potential for a really good RPG in there, it just needs a decent bit of polish and some fundamental reworking.

Or they could do the retro RPG they showed in the credits, that looked quite amazing as well.

ZeroAKA

That's certainly true, although later on you don't really need to read anything anyway. I guess the most benefit of remote play would be turn based games of some sort.
I need to figure out if my newly acquired legendaries are better than my currently equipped gear. :)

SerTapTap

Finished Neptunia Re;Birth1 today, clocked in at around 25 hours. The game definitely has charme, some real funny and likeable characters, especially NepNep. Even some of its gameplay systems are interesting and addictive, but it ultimately isn't a game I'd recommend since the low budget feel and convulted menu/progression design hold it back tremendously. Shame that Re;Birth2 seems to be largely the same, since there is potential for a really good RPG in there, it just needs a decent bit of polish and some fundamental reworking.

Or they could do the retro RPG they showed in the credits, that looked quite amazing as well.

I'm amazed they haven't made one yet, the credit sequences always have lots of awesome retro game references. Or at least a minigame like that.

The series HAS improved a rather drastic amount though. Most of the problems Rebirth has (other than potentially ragequit inducing difficulty spikes) are fairly minor, if persistent. Nep 1 vanilla was apparently terrible and nep 2 vanilla still had a lot of problems. Nep 3 vanilla still had some issues, mostly the "scout system" which felt like an F2P nightmare taped on, the Plan system is far better, though requiring a replay is a real no-no. They need to fix how they do New Game + because there is no gameplay or story reason to replay as (aside from endings) there's no branching paths and all story enemies are a complete joke in NG+. They really need to instead do a Disgaea style postgame where it just leaves you there after winning and lets you restart completely optionally, only if you WANT to redo the story stuff.

What's wrong with a used memory card?

I hadn't considered small text for stuff like PS Now. I don't usually find it an issue when remoteplaying, but I rarely read much when I do, I usually RP stuff like peggle or continue a game I was already playing.

bobohoro

The series HAS improved a rather drastic amount though. Most of the problems Rebirth has (other than potentially ragequit inducing difficulty spikes) are fairly minor, if persistent. Nep 1 vanilla was apparently terrible and nep 2 vanilla still had a lot of problems. Nep 3 vanilla still had some issues, mostly the "scout system" which felt like an F2P nightmare taped on, the Plan system is far better, though requiring a replay is a real no-no. They need to fix how they do New Game + because there is no gameplay or story reason to replay as (aside from endings) there's no branching paths and all story enemies are a complete joke in NG+. They really need to instead do a Disgaea style postgame where it just leaves you there after winning and lets you restart completely optionally, only if you WANT to redo the story stuff.

Yeah I looked up some gameplay of the original Neptunia and the improvements in battle system alone are enormous. But then again, I can't quite explain how the game could spawn so many sequels and seems to be an obvious success, since it improved tenfold over 3 games and still only is an average-at-best RPG. Well ok, I could explain it with great VAs and charming characters...oh well.

The fix for NG+ is easy, remove the MB-limit, either from the get-go, or when you finish the game. There, done, no reason to re-play the game, no limitations on your first run.

More than that, the game needs to trim some fat and invest in more quality assets instead. Rather than having 10 dungeons with the same backdrop, enemies and useless junk cluttering your overworld, do 1 themed dungeon with some layers, treasure and secrets. Improve the Nepedia with more data, item information and stats. Spread out progression, I mean, until Ch7 you basically only ever upgrade your weapons every 5-6 hours, but then, new stronger ones appear every 5 minutes. And your party doubles in size, that just feels kinda uneven. There is lots more, like balancing, menus that make more sense and other stuff.

Ah well, enough of that. I'm glad I got to try the series for the sales price and had my fun with it, but I probably won't be back for more in the near future, if ever.

Now to see what the january sales bring this week. Or else, the next stop on my vita train will probably be Atelier Ayesha +.

SerTapTap

Yeah I looked up some gameplay of the original Neptunia and the improvements in battle system alone are enormous. But then again, I can't quite explain how the game could spawn so many sequels and seems to be an obvious success, since it improved tenfold over 3 games and still only is an average-at-best RPG. Well ok, I could explain it with great VAs and charming characters...oh well.

The fix for NG+ is easy, remove the MB-limit, either from the get-go, or when you finish the game. There, done, no reason to re-play the game, no limitations on your first run.

More than that, the game needs to trim some fat and invest in more quality assets instead. Rather than having 10 dungeons with the same backdrop, enemies and useless junk cluttering your overworld, do 1 themed dungeon with some layers, treasure and secrets. Improve the Nepedia with more data, item information and stats. Spread out progression, I mean, until Ch7 you basically only ever upgrade your weapons every 5-6 hours, but then, new stronger ones appear every 5 minutes. And your party doubles in size, that just feels kinda uneven. There is lots more, like balancing, menus that make more sense and other stuff.

People buy RPGs for the story quite often, so it's not too odd to me that people would be willing to play an "average" game with great humor/characters over...other average games with average stories. Since JRPGs ditched explorable world maps, they're more average than not, frankly...

And yeah, the NG+ stuff should be really simple, I can't believe they haven't fixed it by now. I don't know how NG+ is so consistently terrible in JRPGs. Even in Tales, they kinda try, but it's so hard to get enough Grade to activate all the best NG+ features without multiple playthroughs, and there's still not all that much reason to replay gameplay-wise. Disgaea does it best, but only if you don't go for all the endings. If you do...good god the pain.

The characters thing is mostly because they added tons of (good!) "human" characters, but the gameplay isn't really designed for that. The 3+3 party design worked best when it was 4 CPUs and a few human characters. Even by Mk2 a party of 3 felt cramped once you got the CPUs back. It's kind of sad *w* quintet is their first game with 5 characters in a party and it ONLY has 5 characters, meanwhile their games with 10+ characters still have 3 to a party. And I mean, who even switches characters mid-battle, the back row characters are just passive effects.

The Manual menu option in the Appli Archives releases are in English, so you don't need to stumble through those. :p

Didn't notice that. I will look at the manual next time I do a video of a Appli Archives release. I don't think it would help making Momoko 1200% any fun.

Maid

Banned

There is a reason I could platinum NepReb 1 but dropped both FFXII and FFXIII after 10 hours in. The characters are the largest factor.

Then again, the "fun" part is also important, and seem like people I recommended this game all had fun with it, so I don't see being mediocre as something should be ashamed. It's not like they are not trying, as each game always got improved. They just don't have the resource to significantly fix their games. I would say Omega Quintet has quite interesting battle system and really different from all of their previous games.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I like Neptunia Rebirth 1 but boss fights really piss me off because of the badly planned grinding.

Well made rpgs make you face a boss with a fair level, the enemies on the area are usually a sort of preparation to it, they let you understand how strong is the boss and once you are able to get rid of them without problems then you are ready for the boss fight.

In Neptunia on the other hand enemies are easy to kill but the boss fight(s) requires at least 3 or 4 more levels, not only enemies don't give an idea of the strength of the boss but also the grinding is longer because they are weak.

I also hate that sometimes bosses can do a hit that makes a damage higher than the entire health bar of a character.

What are everyone's thoughts on Greg Miller, Collin Moriarty, Tim Gettys and Nick Scarpino leaving IGN to do their own thing?

Personally, I love these guys and I would follow them wherever they went, so this move for me only gives me more of their content, I wish them the best of luck. IGN sure is going to lose a lot of traffic though...

Benedict

What are everyone's thoughts on Greg Miller, Collin Moriarty, Tim Gettys and Nick Scarpino leaving IGN to do their own thing?

Personally, I love these guys and I would follow them wherever they went, so this move for me only gives me more of their content, I wish them the best of luck. IGN sure is going to lose a lot of traffic though...

When did this happen?
Any more info somewhere?

Edit: also a friendly reminder that the holiday sales in PSN are extended and ends on January 7th.

When did this happen?
Any more info somewhere?

Edit: also a friendly reminder that the holiday sales in PSN are extended and ends on January 7th.

Pretty much all over all kinds of outlets, Twitter too. I think they will be fine financially on their own, the channel is getting a lot of funders. Apparently their live stream is doing great too over on twitch, I'm not home ATM.

I ended up getting a Borderlands Bundle as a late xmas gift. Fired up Nidhogg and promptly fell back in love with the Vita.

Any good slim Vita 2000 cases out there?

bobohoro

And yeah, the NG+ stuff should be really simple, I can't believe they haven't fixed it by now. I don't know how NG+ is so consistently terrible in JRPGs. Even in Tales, they kinda try, but it's so hard to get enough Grade to activate all the best NG+ features without multiple playthroughs, and there's still not all that much reason to replay gameplay-wise. Disgaea does it best, but only if you don't go for all the endings. If you do...good god the pain.

I have no problem with kinda lackluster NG+ features, since I seldom play the same game twice in a row, especially long RPGs, and if I do so years later, I'll probably start fresh. What I find inexcusable is hiding extra content behind that lackluster NG+ cycle just to pad the playtime. Like Tales and Neptunia, you need a few playthroughs to get everything done, but the storyline itself is not really designed for multiple playthroughs, so it's just a boring slog of repeatingly beat a 40hours adventure to get 5 hours of post-game content. Meh.

Disgaea really is a good example, providing a nice, medium sized storyline, with closure. And then there is the extensive post-game for everyone that fell in love with the gameplay.

There is a reason I could platinum NepReb 1 but dropped both FFXII and FFXIII after 10 hours in. The characters are the largest factor.

Then again, the "fun" part is also important, and seem like people I recommended this game all had fun with it, so I don't see being mediocre as something should be ashamed. It's not like they are not trying, as each game always got improved. They just don't have the resource to significantly fix their games. I would say Omega Quintet has quite interesting battle system and really different from all of their previous games.

The lightheartedness of the game and charme certainly help in overlooking its flaws. I, too, enjoeyd my time with the game, it's just, my more critical side will not tolerate giving the game a pass because of cuteness and sympathy. Or, to view it another way, I want to see it improve, because there really is a good game hiding in there, and I'd like to play it. Neptunia reminds me of Senran Kagura in that way, they have the charme and certainly set out to deliver on the gameplay front, but fall short in some way.

And to put my opinion into perspective: While I wouldn't straight up recommend Neptunia, I'd do my best to discourage people from playing XIII. The first is a slightly average game that at least leaves you all warm and fluffy, the latter is an average game that annoys you and creates a great big gaping hole in your chest. It's worse than Danganronpa in terms of inducing despair.

Hikami

Huh, well then. Only reason I even visited IGN was for Greg and Collin..
Seems like they'll still be doing Podcast Beyond at least though. Wasn't even aware of this Kinda Funny Games thing.
More content from them is great in my book but, it's definitely a loss for IGN.

SerTapTap

I have no problem with kinda lackluster NG+ features, since I seldom play the same game twice in a row, especially long RPGs, and if I do so years later, I'll probably start fresh. What I find inexcusable is hiding extra content behind that lackluster NG+ cycle just to pad the playtime. Like Tales and Neptunia, you need a few playthroughs to get everything done, but the storyline itself is not really designed for multiple playthroughs, so it's just a boring slog of repeatingly beat a 40hours adventure to get 5 hours of post-game content. Meh.

My biggest problem with "bad NG+" is basically that there is postgame content I want to get to WITHOUT playing the same game twice in a row. That's why I prefer the Disgaea method. You're all but forced to replay most Neptunia games for the NG+ (I think it's a trophy in some of them actually), because there are certain rewards for going beyond the point of no return so you can't just never beat the final boss and 100% the game that way.

It's kinda funny though, Neptunia wipes the floor with all other JRPGs in terms of the dialog system. Do VNs usually have text features like that? They're so amazing and I've never seen anything like it outside of something like Morrowind's dialog window.

Shizuka

tumblr_n69l1hetLz1rmjoy9o1_500.gif

nampad

I am back too. Was banned for complaining about the moderation in a community thread.
I will not discuss that particular decision but it was suggested that I should contact the administration directly if I have a problem with the moderation.

I did that and wrote an Email to support@neogaf.com detailing how I feel the Vita threads lack moderation and the moderation is working against the Vita community.
I haven't heard anything back yet. I will also private message people in the administration now that I am unbanned.

As several other posters have also complained about the moderation I want to suggest that you should also write a complain because it might have more weight when more people do it. I think it would also help if you can mention cases where you felt particular posters or even moderators should have behaved differently.

So if you want to complain about the moderation, please do it in that way (Email and PMs) now. It will only get worse and we will only get banned for retreating and complaining here.
If anyone wants to know what I wrote, please PM me. Don't want to get banned again for posting it here.

Daigr

Tested out my new Vita tv today. Persona 4 looks good. Tried out Tactics Ogre as well.
Would be nice if we had the same options for PSP games as there is on the Vita.

Think Sony should be working on the firmware for all their consoles. They are all missing features they should have already.

Also is there anyway to get rid of the 'featured' screen on the Vita tv?

Top Bottom