• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

tumblr_n69l1hetLz1rmjoy9o1_500.gif

Guess who's back,
Back again,
Shizuka's back,
Tell a friend.

:)

--

Oh, TOTP?

Buy all the Senran Kagura games. All of 'em.

bobohoro

It's kinda funny though, Neptunia wipes the floor with all other JRPGs in terms of the dialog system. Do VNs usually have text features like that? They're so amazing and I've never seen anything like it outside of something like Morrowind's dialog window.

Where there that many? I can only remember fast forward, auto, playback/history and stop/clear screen, and that's pretty standard, isn't it? At least for VNs, but JRPGs also tend to incorporate that stuff more and more.

Was there an option to completely skip events though? I tried NG+ for a few minutes to see what carries over and could only fastforward.

Good to have you back.

Edit: And the others as well!

You know what we should have... A Vita podcast. With this whole IGN members creating their whole content, and seeing how there are issues with creating a Vita thread and all, I think it would be cool for us to create a podcast in which we could discuss gaming on the platform, and such. Who here would be up for listening to a 30min-1hr weekly show with some members from this thread discussing all kinds of Vita stuff?

Prelude.

So now that Moriarty is gone there will be literally 0 coverage of anything Vita in the mainstream sites.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b7a12bb38faffa919231fdcd324714ff/tumblr_n69l1hetLz1rmjoy9o1_500.gif[img][/QUOTE]

That's a weird gif. There's a BAKYU~N coming out of nowhere. [SPOILER]Welcome back, you almost died for our sins.[/SPOILER]

Doombear

Tested out my new Vita tv today. Persona 4 looks good. Tried out Tactics Ogre as well.
Would be nice if we had the same options for PSP games as there is on the Vita.

Think Sony should be working on the firmware for all their consoles. They are all missing features they should have already.

Also is there anyway to get rid of the 'featured' screen on the Vita tv?

Does Tactics Ogre not look so hot? I have precious little space on my current measly 8GB card in my Vita TV and was thinking of cramming that on there and then buying Jeanne D'Arc as well.

Oh and your last sentence, if you find a way... share it. Hate that thing.

Shizuka

I want to say that while I was away, I've been pleasantly surprised at how Tales of Hearts R is a great game for the Vita. I suggest the ones in the fence to take a chance and buy the game, it's really great.

nampad

I finished Resistance: Burning Skies while I was banned. Got it cheap in the January sale because I wanted a new shooter on the Vita.

From the demo I already knew that Nihilistic fucked up and didn't release a multilingual version of the game so I had to play with the German voiceover, which was horrible. I also knew about the heavily compressed cinematics which looked like internet clips from 10 years ago.
At first, the game was actually fun. The Resistance weapons were always fun and the Vita gimmicks were integrated in a fun way. The game controlled well except for the touch based door/gate/stuff activations which sometimes used up a secondary fire of a weapon. Graphically, it isn't a looker but I thought it was ok.
Unfortunately, the game got tedious and overstayed its welcome which is quite funny considering it is so short. The reasons for that are the atrocious dumb AI and the weak and ever repeating encounter design.

The game just shows its mediocrity in every aspect and I still don't know how Nihilistic landed the job after already releasing other mediocre or shitty games on Playstation platforms before.
I would give the game a 6/10.

It is sad that we don't have more shooters on the Vita because they do play well. As a German, I am even sadder because I won't get Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition this week :(
It hurts because I thought we would get it as it is available for purchase on the German Steam. I can't understand why it isn't on the German PSN then where you can only buy stuff legally when you are 18 years old.
I know the original game is still indexed, which is quite a joke, but how does Steam manage to offer the Megaton Edition and PSN not?

Hikami

Welcome back fallen Vitabros.

Speaking of the Vita, I have like ~$20 left on my PSN account..
Thinking of (finally) getting either Gravity Rush or Soul Sacrifice Delta, already tried the demos for them and they were both great. Still can't decide though.

Just wondering, which game is shorter? Not really looking for a long game right now.

Shizuka

Thinking of (finally) getting either Gravity Rush or Soul Sacrifice Delta, already tried the demos for them and they were both great. Still can't decide though.

Just wondering, which game is shorter? Not really looking for a long game right now.

Gravity Rush is shorter, but it's been available for much cheaper before. I'd suggest SSD, myself.

Gravity Rush is shorter and I'd suggest you start with that. :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I finished Resistance: Burning Skies while I was banned. Got it cheap in the January sale because I wanted a new shooter on the Vita.

From the demo I already knew that Nihilistic fucked up and didn't release a multilingual version of the game so I had to play with the German voiceover, which was horrible. I also knew about the heavily compressed cinematics which looked like internet clips from 10 years ago.
At first, the game was actually fun. The Resistance weapons were always fun and the Vita gimmicks were integrated in a fun way. The game controlled well except for the touch based door/gate/stuff activations which sometimes used up a secondary fire of a weapon. Graphically, it isn't a looker but I thought it was ok.
Unfortunately, the game got tedious and overstayed its welcome which is quite funny considering it is so short. The reasons for that are the atrocious dumb AI and the weak and ever repeating encounter design.

The game just shows its mediocrity in every aspect and I still don't know how Nihilistic landed the job after already releasing other mediocre or shitty games on Playstation platforms before.
I would give the game a 6/10.

It is sad that we don't have more shooters on the Vita because they do play well. As a German, I am even sadder because I won't get Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition this week :(
It hurts because I thought we would get it as it is available for purchase on the German Steam. I can't understand why it isn't on the German PSN then where you can only buy stuff legally when you are 18 years old.
I know the original game is still indexed, which is quite a joke, but how does Steam manage to offer the Megaton Edition and PSN not?
Nihilistic getting permission to make Resistance isn't as baffling as letting them make Call of Duty. They gave what was supposed to be he flagship holiday Vita title to a shitty dev that released a shitty FPS only a matter of months earlier. Makes no sense whatsoever.

nampad

Isn't Gravity Rush still a PS+ freebie? You don't have PS+?

Recommending one of the games over the other is difficult. GR is my second favorite Vita game after Persona 4: Golden and I just love it. Haven't played Soul Sacrifice Delta yet but I have the platinum trophy in the base game and the multiplayer was just great. SSD also offers a lot of more content so it might be a better bang for the buck.

Did SSD just went on sale now? If so, it might be smarter to consider it due to the online community. The longer you wait, the worse it will get for a newcomer.

Nihilistic getting permission to make Resistance isn't as baffling as letting them make Call of Duty. They gave what was supposed to be he flagship holiday Vita title to a shitty dev that released a shitty FPS only a matter of months earlier. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Call of Duty made sense actually. Vicarious Visions fucked up the port of the CoD engine and Activision needed someone who could push out a game on short notice. Nihilistic were the only developers with a FPS engine running on the Vita.

I still can't believe how Activision didn't manage to port the engine. Just look at Killzone: Mercenary. I cringe every time I read Vicarious Visions in an Activision Crash Bandicoot thread.

We might have just got a console port of Black Ops 2 but that would have been better than Declassified (which isn't as bad as it reviewed). Nihilistic actually did an ok job considering they pushed out the whole game in 5 months. If we don't look at the sunk costs of the Vicarious Visions port job the profit of Declassified must have been crazy. 5 months development, heavy marketing by Sony and I guess still the best selling Vita game.

daydream

Banned
I'm fine with Gravity Crash Ultra as a replacement for Duke but the whole index thing is obviously ridiculously outdated. Sad thing is, we'd probably sooner see Germany changing its form of government before even *considering* updating the JuSchG and rethinking (aka getting rid of) the USK. I've been desperately awaiting change for years now.

Chuy

Well that i definitely didn't think all these banned peeps would return all at once. Regardless good to see them back.

If you're interested in LBP Vita at all, you should probably buy the newer Marvel Edition on PSN. It comes with the full game and bonus Marvel content for $20. I don't think there's a retail version though.
Thanks for that going to get it for sure and i don't mind it being digital only but my 16gb memory card going to die once i get this game.

You know what we should have... A Vita podcast. With this whole IGN members creating their whole content, and seeing how there are issues with creating a Vita thread and all, I think it would be cool for us to create a podcast in which we could discuss gaming on the platform, and such. Who here would be up for listening to a 30min-1hr weekly show with some members from this thread discussing all kinds of Vita stuff?
I'd totally be down for it. Honestly would be interesting actually to hear how everyone from the community views the vita and to see the various games for the vita being discussed

Hikami

How is the replay value in GR then? I'd rather get it physical later on then if I'm just going to play through it once.. Seems like SSD would be the better digital choice.
Isn't Gravity Rush still a PS+ freebie? You don't have PS+?
I only got my Vita and PS+ back in September last year. As far as I know there's no way to get previous PS+ freebies? Shows up as $13.49 for me on the store.

I would definitely be down for this, both listening and contributing (schedule-permitting).

nampad

I'm fine with Gravity Crash Ultra as a replacement for Duke but the whole index thing is obviously ridiculously outdated. Sad thing is, we'd probably sooner see Germany changing its form of government before even *considering* updating the JuSchG and rethinking (aka getting rid of) the USK. I've been desperately awaiting change for years now.

Thing is, other older games got taken down from the index but not Duke Nukem 3D which is laughable. Meanwhile, Duke Nukem Forever and all the other modern stuff is ok?

I only got my Vita and PS+ back in September last year. As far as I know there's no way to get previous PS+ freebies? Shows up as $13.49 for me on the store.

I thought it would still be in the "yearly" freebie cycle like Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

daydream

Banned
Thing is, other older games got taken down from the index but not Duke Nukem 3D which is laughable. Meanwhile, Duke Nukem Forever and all the other modern stuff is ok?

Yeah, it obviously doesn't make sense. Trying to make head or tail of singular cases is pointless, though. It's the whole system that is archaic as hell.

nampad

Yeah, it obviously doesn't make sense. Trying to make head or tail of singular cases is pointless, though. It's the whole system that is archaic as hell.

To be honest, I think the whole situation is ok right now except for some singular cases. Nowadays, I barely see any game getting censored for Germany or even indexed. Only mentionable games are world war related and they have to remove the swastika.
Back in the days, the censoring was jarring and it felt like we only got cut versions.

They removed those a couple of months ago.

So there are no "yearly" games? Is it the same for the other Playstations?

So there are no "yearly" games? Is it the same for the other Playstations?

"Yearly games" have been replaced by a guaranteed 2 PS3 titles, 2 PS4 titles and 2 Vita titles monthly, presented on the first Tues/Wed of the month (depending on region).

As for a Vita podcast, if you guys can't get one off the ground we'd love to have some of you as rolling guests (one or two a week) on The Vita Cast. :)

daydream

Banned
To be honest, I think the whole situation is ok right now except for some singular cases. Nowadays, I barely see any game getting censored for Germany or even indexed. Only mentionable games are world war related and they have to remove the swastika.
Back in the days, the censoring was jarring and it felt like we only got cut versions.

I think you're forgetting about the fact that USK is still a huge pain in the ass for indie devs. To release a game in Germany, you have to go through an extra certification process which is also way more expensive than PEGI's. This has led to several devs not releasing their games in Germany despite putting them out in literally every other EU country. There have been several cases very recently on the eShop of devs deciding against a German release because of the extra hassle and (more importantly) higher fees (Ittle Dew and all Circle Ent. titles including Legend of Dark Witch, to name two painful instances). These are completely unacceptable and, frankly, shameful conditions to work under.

I'd totally be down for it. Honestly would be interesting actually to hear how everyone from the community views the vita and to see the various games for the vita being discussed

I would definitely be down for this, both listening and contributing (schedule-permitting).

It would be pretty cool, the only problem would be content. As much as I love the Vita, there would be times in which there would simply be nothing noteworthy to talk about

VLiberty

The bad thing about Gravity Crash Ultra is that it will never be released on PS+ in the other states now. Same thing happened with Sound Shapes. :/

Oh, and welcome back to all the unbanned Vitagaffers <3

nampad

The bad thing about Gravity Crash Ultra is that it will never be released on PS+ in the other states now. Same thing happened with Sound Shapes. :/

Oh, and welcome back to all the unbanned Vitagaffers <3

Really, replacement games never went on being PS+ titles for every region? I thought they would just say "bad luck Germans (or other countries)".
What did Sound Shapes replace by the way?

Takao

Banned
Call of Duty made sense actually. Vicarious Visions fucked up the port of the CoD engine and Activision needed someone who could push out a game on short notice. Nihilistic were the only developers with a FPS engine running on the Vita.

I still can't believe how Activision didn't manage to port the engine. Just look at Killzone: Mercenary. I cringe every time I read Vicarious Visions in an Activision Crash Bandicoot thread.

We might have just got a console port of Black Ops 2 but that would have been better than Declassified (which isn't as bad as it reviewed). Nihilistic actually did an ok job considering they pushed out the whole game in 5 months. If we don't look at the sunk costs of the Vicarious Visions port job the profit of Declassified must have been crazy. 5 months development, heavy marketing by Sony and I guess still the best selling Vita game.

Why were Vicarious Visions given the job of porting the CoD engine to Vita when Treyarch had already been able to get it running on hardware as low spec as the Wii? I mean, wouldn't the studio that makes those games and have shown to be able to scale it down be a much better fit?

Outside of Geometry Wars 3, every Vita release from Activision is puzzling in some way. $40 Angry Birds Star Wars? Really late port of a movie tie-in Spiderman game (then the sequel, announced a few weeks after release, completely skipped the platform)? A Spongebob game in 2015? Wat.

Really, replacement games never went on being PS+ titles for every region? I thought they would just say "bad luck Germans (or other countries)".
What did Sound Shapes replace by the way?

It replaced Outlast as the PS4 game for Feb 2014.

Had nothing to do with Germany that time (was for Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE, India and Turkey).

Xenoflare

Cool, voted Miku Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Pokemon it is then.

Edit: Bravely Default right behind Dragon Age Inquisition... Really?

I am quite appalled by both of them.

Well I always had a bias against Dragon Age so that wouldn't exactly be fair. But Bravely Default?

No, there is reason why people stopped playing after the "halfway point"

Baron

Has week 4 of the PSN holiday sale been cancelled? There's been no mention of it anywhere I can find on the PS Blog.

Yasumi

Banned
Welcome back Shizuka and Nampad. I-it's not like I missed you or anything.
Has week 4 of the PSN holiday sale been cancelled? There's been no mention of it anywhere I can find on the PS Blog.
It was extended to December 31st due to the ddos. It was supposed to end on the 29th.

Top Bottom