• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Shizuka

Welcome back, guys. Dont do anything rash again pls.

659984-48tmrof.gif

TOTP: Buy Tales of Hearts R (Vita), it's the best Tales of game in recent history.

Welcome back Vita cousins, promise me that we celebrate Christmas together next year!?

Edit: I'm looking forward to see more from starlight tactics (and hopefully they'll release the SI patch soon as well) :)

ZeroAKA

There isn't a single Vita game I want to buy day one in Q1 so far. Hopefully Toukiden Kiwami and New 3DS get release dates soon.

jvm

Gamasutra.
That new PS Now service offering is almost ideal in terms of pricing. Regrettably, the software selection isn't enough for me to jump.

I imagine that for PS4 owners who never played a PS3, or played very little, it's a good deal. For it to be better for someone like me, it's going to have to be slightly cheaper (annual payment tier) or much more rich in games I didn't play but wanted to play. For example, Afrika or Aquanaut's Holiday.

In fact, this is an ideal time -- just as happened when PS1 games to PSN -- to get more niche, other-region titles into the North American market.

Which ones?

weren't the PSX announcements all supposedly Q1? now that I think on it, the phrasing may have been "first half of 2015" actually... Gonna have to check Teflon's list.
Here are the games that seem interesting coming up in the next few months:
Duke Nukem
Citizens of Earth
Grim Fandango
La Mulana
Firefly Diary
Tokyo Ghost Hunters
RE Revelations 2
Octodad
Geometry Wars 3

Shizuka

This year will be the year of the Vita (same as last year)!

Edit: can we expect some Vita news (as in release dates) on the ps blog this week or do you think they will wait?

Why would we get release dates for Vita games on the PSBlog this week? We might be getting a release date for Brandish (as in, it's getting released next week), but that's it.

Flandy

You know what we should have... A Vita podcast. With this whole IGN members creating their whole content, and seeing how there are issues with creating a Vita thread and all, I think it would be cool for us to create a podcast in which we could discuss gaming on the platform, and such. Who here would be up for listening to a 30min-1hr weekly show with some members from this thread discussing all kinds of Vita stuff?

I'll join in so I can promote Black Ops Declassified

Also so I can shit talk the Vita

That new PS Now service offering is almost ideal in terms of pricing. Regrettably, the software selection isn't enough for me to jump.

I imagine that for PS4 owners who never played a PS3, or played very little, it's a good deal. For it to be better for someone like me, it's going to have to be slightly cheaper (annual payment tier) or much more rich in games I didn't play but wanted to play. For example, Afrika or Aquanaut's Holiday.

In fact, this is an ideal time -- just as happened when PS1 games to PSN -- to get more niche, other-region titles into the North American market.

I'm looking forward to finally play xcom on my vita this year (new ps now trailer) :)

You know what we should have... A Vita podcast. With this whole IGN members creating their whole content, and seeing how there are issues with creating a Vita thread and all, I think it would be cool for us to create a podcast in which we could discuss gaming on the platform, and such. Who here would be up for listening to a 30min-1hr weekly show with some members from this thread discussing all kinds of Vita stuff?

Missed the post earlier. I'd also be down for this.

ZeroAKA

Chuy

It would be pretty cool, the only problem would be content. As much as I love the Vita, there would be times in which there would simply be nothing noteworthy to talk about
Maybe try using that downtime to possibly discuss the various hidden gems the system has or what sony could do to improve the vita`s situation.
Just a suggestion

If Bravely Default gets 2nd in that poll I'll be pretty bummed. There are at least 10 games in that list that are significantly better.

Maybe try using that downtime to possibly discuss the various hidden gems the system has or what sony could do to improve the vita`s situation.
Just a suggestion

Yeah, I agree. There are lots of things that aren't time-reliant that could be discussed such as doing game impressions, talking about interesting kickstarter projects that have a Vita stretch goal, etc.

There seems to be some interest in the idea for the podcast... What now? :p Anyone have experience with these things? Obviously I'm game, I wouldn't bring the idea to the table if I wasn't, but I wouldn't want it to just be half assed!

EDIT: Man I am actually swimming in ideas, I'd totally be up for this. I could set up an email for feedback, if things go well we can have feedback from Gaffers as well as people from outside the forum. The first episode would obviously be our beta, we could experiment what works, what the format of how we deliver the content and obviously, what we talk about.

In terms of members, I'd love to have as many people involved as possible, we all are Vita GAF after all. We could do something similar to what Beyond over on IGN did, which was having rotating chairs with different members, to have different perspectives and views on topics each and every week.

At the beginning we would round up the news, the weekly drop (on the Vita only of course), after that we could either have a discussion on something that is coming up, or we could have a discussion of our own. If the impressions are positive and feedback comes in, we can also use that on the show, answer questions, or even explain or discuss topics that the listeners throw at us.

The show would obviously be very relaxed, and we would try to keep swearing and such to a minimum (I did not say that it wouldn't be in there aha), and hopefully folks would enjoy it enough so that every week, like let's say every Tuesday since that is when the PSN drop happens, we would have an episode up for everyone to listen to!

There seems to be some interest in the idea for the podcast... What now? :p Anyone have experience with these things? Obviously I'm game, I wouldn't bring the idea to the table if I wasn't, but I wouldn't want it to just be half assed!

You might hit up Teflon. Vita Lounge has a podcast in this vein, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

My personal experience (from streaming, but similar) was that audio set ups make no sense.

...In other words, someone else should definitely be in charge of that.

You might hit up Teflon. Vita Lounge has a podcast in this vein, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

My personal experience (from streaming, but similar) was that audio set ups make no sense.

...In other words, someone else should definitely be in charge of that.

I edited my post above, but I could give it a try, we could have a test run for episode one, with something lighthearted such as a vita GOTY discussion between a few members, see how it goes, get feedback, and have the whole week to plan the next episode, which would be a full fledged thing.

I edited my post above, but I could give it a try, we could have a test run for episode one, with something lighthearted such as a vita GOTY discussion between a few members, see how it goes, get feedback, and have the whole week to plan the next episode, which would be a full fledged thing.

You might want to start a bit smaller. Biweekly perhaps. Not because I don't think you can do it, but there are always unforeseen complications, and telling yourself that you must stand by your plan will sometimes hinder your enjoyment of things and make it more stressful for everyone involved.

Maid

Banned
what sony could do to improve the vita`s situation.

I'm sure people have been talking about it all the time, and all it does is making everyone involved feel more depressing.

The show would obviously be very relaxed, and we would try to keep swearing and such to a minimum (I did not say that it wouldn't be in there aha), and hopefully folks would enjoy it enough so that every week, like let's say every Tuesday since that is when the PSN drop happens, we would have an episode up for everyone to listen to!

I can see it will always start with "What Vita games did they forget to put on the drop this week?"

Shizuka

We could always assign a new game of the week to one of each member and s/he would talk about it the next week, like a short review/discussion.

You might want to start a bit smaller. Biweekly perhaps. Not because I don't think you can do it, but there are always unforeseen complications, and telling yourself that you must stand by your plan will sometimes hinder your enjoyment of things and make it more stressful for everyone involved.

Great idea. First things first would be adjusting to the listeners' feedback from that first episode and then go from there.

And before we even take that first step, we all need to come up with a name for this that everyone here likes.

YK0019.jpeg

I'd love to get everyone's take on this since this will be our podcast, whether things grow or simply fail miserably, I want to give this a shot because if there is one system that deserves love is our Vita, and we are all passionate enough to talk about it, and discuss it for others to listen.

We could always assign a new game of the week to one of each member and s/he would talk about it the next week, like a short review/discussion.

Great idea. The show will be laid back and I absolutely won't impose any scripts on anyone, everything will be raw and uncut, for everyone's enjoyment. Stuff like this would keep the listeners interested every week mhm.

Vita book club! Genius

I like this name actually.

Maid

Banned

Won't it be a trouble if said member haven't bought/played the game they got assigned to?

Great idea. First things first would be adjusting to the listeners' feedback from that first episode and then go from there.

And before we even take that first step, we all need to come up with a name for this that everyone here likes.

I'd love to get everyone's take on this since this will be our podcast, whether things grow or simply fail miserably, I want to give this a shot because if there is one system that deserves love is our Vita, and we are all passionate enough to talk about it, and discuss it for others to listen.

I'll help out whenever. I'm pretty free for now. Hit me up if you need something. I can give you contact info if you'd like something more feature-complete than GAF for coordinating. Just PM me here or on PSN (here is better).
Won't it be a trouble if said member haven't bought/played the game they got assigned to?

that's not a difficult stipulation to work around. Alternatively, we alternate "topics" and do a monthly vita game. That wouldn't break the bank assuming it's not a 40$ game.

I'll help out whenever. I'm pretty free for now. Hit me up if you need something. I can give you contact info if you'd like something more feature-complete than GAF for coordinating. Just PM me here or on PSN (here is better).

that's not a difficult stipulation to work around. Alternatively, we alternate "topics" and do a monthly vita game. That wouldn't break the bank assuming it's not a 40$ game.

NormalFish, expect a PM shortly. Welcome aboard the ship, lets hope it won't sink my friend.

We could try getting reviewers code from publishers, I guess.

Hmm, I would say we will need a bit of influence before we are able to get to that level. Most of us buy every game on the Vita, but there are also time constraints... For this reason, we would have rotating members. Lets say I am hosting but I wasn't able to buy or play the game that is being discussed at that moment. You and that invited guest could be telling me and the listeners about it, and my questions to you would be legitimate as a person that did not play the game. Not only may you be able to convince me to buy it, but also one or two of our listeners as well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am quite appalled by both of them.

Well I always had a bias against Dragon Age so that wouldn't exactly be fair. But Bravely Default?

No, there is reason why people stopped playing after the "halfway point"

Because they lack taste and refinery?

The second half of BD:FF is the best thing ever. All of the good fights are there. Most of the interesting story bits are there. But no, people see that they "have to" do a few fights that will take them five minutes over again and then the bitching starts.

Daigr

Does Tactics Ogre not look so hot? I have precious little space on my current measly 8GB card in my Vita TV and was thinking of cramming that on there and then buying Jeanne D'Arc as well.

Oh and your last sentence, if you find a way... share it. Hate that thing.

There seems to be a blurry-ness to Tactics Orge. So ya not so hot. Speech bubbles and character portraits look fine though. Probably just play PSP games on the vita instead.

Because they lack taste and refinery?

The second half of BD:FF is the best thing ever. All of the good fights are there. Most of the interesting story bits are there. But no, people see that they "have to" do a few fights that will take them five minutes over again and then the bitching starts.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, it isn't the second half in particular that hurts the game for me, but just that the story premise feels very uninteresting. In the same sort of way as really early nes-era RPG stories just aren't compelling. Characters were decent, and the combat is really good, but the characters aren't good enough to carry the story.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, it isn't the second half in particular that hurts the game for me, but just that the story premise feels very uninteresting. In the same sort of way as really early nes-era RPG stories just aren't compelling. Characters were decent, and the combat is really good, but the characters aren't good enough to carry the story.

We clearly played different games, you and I. The story was really quite strong with its nice little twists and turns.

We clearly played different games, you and I. The story was really quite strong with its nice little twists and turns.

lol must be. I like the game fine, and it's a good game -- don't get me wrong. I just think there are better games on that list. Hoping that Bravely 2nd has a better story so that I can truly jump on the bandwagon.

Top Bottom