• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

maouvin

I'm betting on an expansion.
hopefully

Not sure how these things work though since I usually always play the expanded versions.. Would you be able to carry over your progress? Having to start all over from a 1m sentence would suck..

That's usually the case, aye.

Wonder if having a 0 sentence already would mess with whatever new story bit they throw in.

The port begging is so funny to see on that topic.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967289

But it's not port begging if there's no announced platform, guys!

Omerta

Just some info sharing:

My ps4 was loud... I mean: after 30 mins of playing it had reached a creshendo that I could literally hear from one end of my house to the other. I could hear the fan - plain as day - over my headphones.

The noise wasn't the only issue. The fan was clearly coming on for a reason - this bad boy was hot. After an hour you could literally feel the heat all around it. The wood above it (four inches above or so) was hot.

It's positioning in my entertainment centre was (as far as every other piece of electronics I've ever owned) well ventilated. I even put it up on little stands to increase airflow underneath the unit.

Tonight, my ps4 went on a little holiday... Out of the entertainment centre and all by itself ontop of a little table it went.

I played it for two hours tonight (infamous first light and a little bit of ground zeros) and hardly a whisper she made. Not remotely hot, either.

If anyone's just accepting that it's loud and hot and there's nothing they can do about it, give your ps4 a little holiday too.

VLiberty

That's usually the case, aye.

Wonder if having a 0 sentence already would mess with whatever new story bit they throw in.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967289

But it's not port begging if there's no announced platform, guys!

Yep, that's the cavil used to justify the portbegging in the GR2 threads.
Though that small GR2 footage we have is clearly taken from a Vita game, but oh well.

I really want to see how would the Vita exclusive sale on the PS4. I guess the soonest we could see is when Tearaway get released.

I remember the games at the time didn't require memory card to be played. There is a reason Muramasa's save data are stored inside the game cart itself.

The majority did, though...

nampad

They did? Well, sorry for my failed memory.

2015, Rise of the Vita?
Now the next argument would be Vita has no million seller.

The plans for the Vita game cards were big but pretty much everything was dropped. They were supposed to have space left for DLC and patches. In the end, most games didn't even use the game card for game saves.

TOP 20 2014 JP PSN VITA

1. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition
2. Terraria
3. Freedom Wars
4. Senran Kagura: Bon Apettit
5. Muramasa Rebirth
6. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
7. Soul Sacrifice Delta
8. Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F 2nd
9. Oreshika 2
10. Persona 4 Golden
11. Super Robot Wars 3rd Jigoku-hen
12. DanganRonpa 1.2
13. Disgaea 4 Return
14. Trails of Cold Steel
15. Phantasy Star Nova
16. STEINS;GATE
17. Senran Kagura SHINOVI VERSUS
18. PhantomBreaker Battlegrounds
19. Toukiden Kiwami
20. GOD EATER 2

Japan is saved!

The King will never leave its place

Maid

Banned
The King will never leave its place

Borrowing this one from The Vita Lounge:

French Vita Chart (Week 52)

FIFA 15
Minecraft
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified

Swedish Vita Chart (Week 52)

Minecraft
FIFA 15
Killzone: Mercenary
Tales of Hearts R
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Freedom Wars
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Rayman Legends
Lego The Hobbit

Finnish Vita Chart (Week 52)

Minecraft
FIFA 15
Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
LittleBigPlanet: Marvel Super Hero Edition
Tales of Hearts R
The Sly Trilogy
Lego Marvel Super Heroes

Australian Vita Chart (Week 52)

Minecraft
Borderlands 2
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Freedom Wars
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
The Sly Trilogy
God of War Collection

New Zealand Vita Chart (Week 52)

Minecraft
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Borderlands 2
FIFA 15
LittleBigPlanet
Freedom Wars

Seem like the king got dethroned by FIFA, lol.

SerTapTap

Interested in Ground Zeroes while it's on sale, but...

I'm a bad, bad person and the only MGS I ever played properly was 2 (and I can't evern remember the story of that). I really can't see myself playing through (at least) 3, 4 and the PSP one everyone says comes right before GZ (Portable Ops?).

Can I just skip to GZ, or would that be a crime?

Gameplay-wise GZ is the best one they've released and controls way better than all the others. Personally I played GZ after only playing 4 completely (quite completely), like an hour of 2 and most of Twin Snakes (I know). It's not like the story is any less insane when you have the backstory and GZ...doesn't...do much story-wise anyway. It's more something to play to enjoy the gameplay and get hyped for TPP IMO. And if I played it wrong...I'm still not playing 40+ hours of other games to catch up to the half-hour of story anyway.

For some reasons I always feel like if it's $300 with internal memory space, people wouldn't complain. It's like the idea of something optional that's actually a necessity rub people off the wrong way instead of making it into something internal.

Internal memory is awwwffuuuulll, there's no way the Vita could have launched with "enough" internal memory. I can only tolerate my Nexus 5's internal memory because I barely put anything on it because mobile is a cesspool. Though not being able to save saves without a memory card was a silly idea since some units didn't ship with one. People exaggerate, but it WAS quite poorly handled.

Maid

Banned
Internal memory is awwwffuuuulll, there's no way the Vita could have launched with "enough" internal memory. I can only tolerate my Nexus 5's internal memory because I barely put anything on it because mobile is a cesspool. Though not being able to save saves without a memory card was a silly idea since some units didn't ship with one. People exaggerate, but it WAS quite poorly handled.

My point wasn't internal memory without a way to upgrading. Look at the PS3/PS4, they managed to prepare for an easy way to replace your HDD, so I would think if they raised the price while including internal memory, people would less likely to complain about the memory card, and who needs for more space could buy additional memory card. Kinda like how the Vita 2000 is, but with more internal memory space.

deadfolk

Gameplay-wise GZ is the best one they've released and controls way better than all the others. Personally I played GZ after only playing 4 completely (quite completely), like an hour of 2 and most of Twin Snakes (I know). It's not like the story is any less insane when you have the backstory and GZ...doesn't...do much story-wise anyway. It's more something to play to enjoy the gameplay and get hyped for TPP IMO. And if I played it wrong...I'm still not playing 40+ hours of other games to catch up to the half-hour of story anyway.

Thanks!

SerTapTap

Line chat? Urg I had a dream of interoperable instant message clients. I assume this isn't compatable with Trillian/Skype/Hangouts?

I am actually OK with these... I was expecting worse lol. Yeah I know, Destiny is placed up high, but I gotta admit, even with its flaws, I am still playing it to this day. They got something right, so even as a flawed game, it was my PS4 GOTY too.

Maybe Vita Means should have a discussion about these selections for our next segment...

Maid

Banned
I am actually OK with these... I was expecting worse lol. Yeah I know, Destiny is placed up high, but I gotta admit, even with its flaws, I am still playing it to this day. They got something right, so even as a flawed game, it was my PS4 GOTY too.

Maybe Vita Means should have a discussion about these selections for our next segment...

Just curious, did you try out Warframe?

antibolo

Banned
I bet Child of Light won best Vita game because most voters didn't actually own a Vita so they voted for a multi-platform game they played on something else.

Also WTF at Danganronpa not even getting bronze and no mention in the Editor's picks, seriously??

SerTapTap

I bet Child of Light won best Vita game because most voters didn't actually own a Vita so they voted for a multi-platform game they played on something else.

Also WTF at Danganronpa not even getting bronze and no mention in the Editor's picks, seriously??

Such things are pretty much always AAA parades due to popularity rather than quality. Didn't even open it, though I (unfortunately) saw the PS+ picks

Just curious, did you try out Warframe?

I have yeah and it isn't a bad game at all, arguably it does things better than Destiny such as the amount of planets and stuff. As a F2P game it is amazing, progression is really slow though. It has its problems too, like not explaining things properly and the amount of information thrown at you is a bit overwhelming for me.

What I like about Destiny is that even though it's simple, the gameplay is rock solid, and every button is very responsive and everything feels very satisfying. Playing with friends is a blast too. I see this game as a good investment for the future, the destiny world is still very small, but I see the potential in it, and how this game could grow wings and fly up high.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Holy shit, I think this is the first month in I don't know how long where I actually like all 6 PS Plus games in a month. I even like Woah Dave for some reason. Sort of.

Maid

Banned
I have yeah and it isn't a bad game at all, arguably it does things better than Destiny such as the amount of planets and stuff. As a F2P game it is amazing, progression is really slow though. It has its problems too, like not explaining things properly and the amount of information thrown at you is a bit overwhelming for me.

That's true, and I'm glad that recent patch they have introduced story mission, which help explain the game mechanic and some functions got unlocked as you advance. Still surprised to see that the UI is completely overhauled for console compare to PC.

Honestly speaking, I wish more people gave Warframe a chance before dismissing it as a F2P game. The elemental mixing and damage type are what I really like about the game, but they aren't clearly explained in-game, and it's actually one of several thing that requires player's attention to be able to advance far.

After Warframe, for all the hype regarding Destiny, I expected it to be, well, I don't really know, much more in every aspect of its current state, I guess?

SerTapTap

Borderlands 2 made it impossible to enjoy either Warframe or Destiny. Like, even BL2 has a bit too much grind, then you see the others, you see the F2P style grind of Warframe, you see the...puzzling, player-retention-for-no-reason grind of Destiny, plus the always online, with none of the extra fun features of Borderlands (why can't anyone else do elemental guns right?), just urg. Very disappointing, but at least Borderlands TPS is mostly good.

Redhood

Good job on the podcast guys! It started a bit off in terms of recording but improved later on.

Greatness in small beginnings. Waiting for the next one.

SerTapTap

I don't understand. People complain about there being no exclusives on the Vita, but as soon as one comes out they want it ported to Ps4, or the next game just on Ps4.

Because haters just want to hate the Vita at this point.

Though I admit I personally want a PS4 version of FW for Dat IQ and controller controls. But it better have crossplay so I can play with Vita people. I assume that's what will happen though, would make sense as a way to goad Japanese players to PS4 while still making sure the game gets money on Vita.

Vita or PS4 they have to fix the damn weapon mods though

Currently listening to the podcast, very good for a pilot episode. The conversation about Corpse Party made me realise I still need to buy those games. And I should start playing TitS
I bought the collector's edition on release day

Thanks!

Just looked up the Vita announcement thread and funny how everyone thought the Vita would be super expensive. Still, no one bought it at $250 + memory card :(

Back then, 3DS was 250€ as well (even more here in Italy). Hardware wise, Vita is a generation ahead of the 3DS, and even though 3DS was admittedly overpriced it's no wonder why people thought that thing couldn't be any less than 300+€, and it's no wonder why people went crazy when they knew about Vita wifi being 250€.

The problem is: When Vita was actually released, the 3DS was 180€ and didn't need overpriced memory cards to even boot retail games.

What I think happened is that in the early stages of the NGP's development Sony had a premium price in mind ($300+). The OLED screen is an artefact of that vision. And then Nintendo announces around December 2010 the Japanese launchprice, and this leaves Sony no other option than to match prices. But Sony doesn't reveal the NGP's price in January 2011, because they probably didn't know how they would achieve that. There's a great Penny Arcade comic about that. To achieve that 250 price mark Sony downgraded some specs and priced their memory cards way too expensive. And like VLiberty points out, by the time the Vita launches the 3DS already had a price cut.

1173457634_d5yix-1050x10000.jpg

That's true, and I'm glad that recent patch they have introduced story mission, which help explain the game mechanic and some functions got unlocked as you advance. Still surprised to see that the UI is completely overhauled for console compare to PC.

Honestly speaking, I wish more people gave Warframe a chance before dismissing it as a F2P game. The elemental mixing and damage type are what I really like about the game, but they aren't clearly explained in-game, and it's actually one of several thing that requires player's attention to be able to advance far.

After Warframe, for all the hype regarding Destiny, I expected it to be, well, I don't really know, much more in every aspect of its current state, I guess?

I totally understand, for me Destiny is more of a playground/hangout for me and the members in my clan. If your friends aren't playing, there's little reason to play the game.

Good job on the podcast guys! It started a bit off in terms of recording but improved later on.

Greatness in small beginnings. Waiting for the next one.

Thank you, looking at the views and all it is doing better than expected!

Added a link to the Vita Means podcast in the OP.

Part of why the numbers went up had to be thanks to this. A million thanks seriously.

If you seriously care about PS Blog awards...yeah.

Enjoying the podcast so far. Good job y'all.

Well we will be recording every Sunday, so throw topics at us. Just complete the sentence, "Vita means..." :p

Currently listening to the podcast, very good for a pilot episode. The conversation about Corpse Party made me realise I still need to buy those games. And I should start playing TitS
I bought the collector's edition on release day

Glad you enjoyed the show, and do yourself a favor, play those games!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't understand. People complain about there being no exclusives on the Vita, but as soon as one comes out they want it ported to Ps4, or the next game just on Ps4.
Don't believe what haters say, it's not true that they hate Vita because of no games, the memory price etc, because if so they would have started hating Vita many months after its release, instead they started hating it a lot before its release, the reason? Simple, the PSP success.

-after decades of easy dominance Nintendo owners feared that the "Mommy"(like some fanboys called Nintendo in another forum) could have lost the handheld dominance to the first successful contender(with a better hardware).

-Sony home console owners were used to have all the Sony efforts, they feared a shift or a significant decrease of those efforts in case of Vita success(and that's why they say it has no games but they also want Vita games ports and sequels, they want Sony to make games only for home consoles)

-out of nowhere some people decided to elect Vita as IOS killer(why?), just in case there were not enough haters.

If you think about it there's no reason to hate something you are not interested in, haters hate Vita because they are interested in its fate, they desperately want its failure.

nampad

What I think happened is that in the early stages of the NGP's development Sony had a premium price in mind ($300+). The OLED screen is an artefact of that vision. And then Nintendo announces around December 2010 the Japanese launchprice, and this leaves Sony no other option than to match prices. But Sony doesn't reveal the NGP's price in January 2011, because they probably didn't know how they would achieve that. There's a great Penny Arcade comic about that. To achieve that 250 price mark Sony downgraded some specs and priced their memory cards way too expensive. And like VLiberty points out, by the time the Vita launches the 3DS already had a price cut.

I don't think that is exactly what happened. Sony should have already known how difficult it is to sell at a premium price point. They already had bad experience with the PS3 regarding the pricing. According to Scott Rhode, they were close to breaking even with the Vita at launch.

And those downgrade rumors regarding the memory were probably a misunderstanding of how the RAM is shared between games and OS. Rumors already had it at 512 MB overall from the same source. The downgrade numbers speak of 256 MB main RAM and 128 MB VRAM.

I mean, we know the specs of the Vita and they are 512 MB main RAM (256 MB OS + 256 MB games) and 128 MB VRAM, which makes 640 MB overall. The downgrade rumor sets those numbers at 256 MB Main (of which 26 MB are for the OS) and 128 MB VRAM.
It would have been also crazy to think Sony did cut the RAM in half, because that would mean they planned for 1 GB Main and 256 MB VRAM, which would have been massive for the time. The PS3 only had 256 MB Main + 256 MB VRAM.

Regarding the internal memory, it was obviously a choice to generate some profit. There is no denying that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok I changed my mind. There is one PS Plus stinker this month. DuckTales. Gameplay is solid enough, but yeah it's got some real 8-bit bullshit in there and there was absolutely no need for the lives system to be that punishing. That's something that really should have been modernised. Include a hardcore mode to appease people that want that crap. And oh my god stop with the goddamn cutscenes already. Completely kills the flow.

antibolo

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you were right, people really wanted to hate the PSP and continue to call it a dismal failure even though it's one of the best selling consoles of all time

The PSP got murdered by piracy so bad in the West that it made people forget how it had a pretty good thing going for it prior to that.

daydream

Banned
Gameplay is solid enough, but yeah it's got some real 8-bit bullshit in there and there was absolutely no need for the lives system to be that punishing. That's something that really should have been modernised. Include a hardcore mode to appease people that want that crap.

How about a baby mode "to appease" gamers with no patience or tolerance for different kinds of game design?

Top Bottom