• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

nampad

Careful lol.

Yeah, don't get banned for complaining about the moderation here. Complain directly to the administration about it as I suggested after my ban. If enough people complain, the moderation might take the issue more serious and look out more for all the shit posting.

You might think it doesn't change anything but I actually got some for me positive feedback. Guess it would be even better if more people would constructively discuss the moderation issues they have.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah, don't get banned for complaining about the moderation here. Complain directly to the administration about it as I suggested after my ban.
You might think it doesn't change anything but I actually got some for me positive feedback.

I removed it, please remove the quote from your post.

Maid

Banned
I'm quite sure it will be an upgraded version. I don't remember the last time this genre of games got a sequel right after without a "advance" version in between.

Yeah, don't get banned for complaining about the moderation here. Complain directly to the administration about it as I suggested after my ban.
You might think it doesn't change anything but I actually got some for me positive feedback.

I think it's more like there are too much that they couldn't catch them all. You could see pretty much every new console games thread will have one or two "Steam when?" posts, and guaranteed at least a "PS4 version?" if it's a big Vita game.

Several Japanese developers ported their games to Steam is not a bad thing, but when everyone think that Steam could magically solve every of their problem...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How about a baby mode "to appease" gamers with no patience or tolerance for different kinds of game design?
You know what? Fine. Give an option of playing without a shitty lives system, or at least a better balanced one. Properly label it though and make it clear exactly what the differences between difficulties are.

Also I have tolerance for different kinds of game design and lol at me having no patience. Typical defensive response I expected though. I have little tolerance for bad game design. In this case it is bad game design. Castle of Illusion for example has a lives system. It's also WAY better balanced and doesn't frustrate for the wrong reasons. This game is using dated 8-bit sensibilities for the sake of being classic. And it was like that back then because developers needed to make games artificially harder to make games last longer because they were so short. That style of game design doesn't fly with me today. Label it baby mode if need be, I don't care. If that makes people like you feel better about themselves then so be it. But include a version of the game without bad dates 8-bit sensibilities.

daydream

Banned
I don't even know what you're talking about. Surely you could point out what exactly is bothering you about DT's realisation of a lives system.

Your point about difficulty is moot, anyway, since DT has always been super lenient.

As far as defensiveness is concerned, you reap what you sow.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It gives you very few lives, in fact I haven't even seen an extra life anywhere yet. When you die you have to repeat the entire level again, and these levels are loooooooong. Being forced to repeat such long gameplay sequences because of an arbitrary lives system is not fun. It's repetitive, tedious and boring. If you're going to make a platformer challenging, make it be because of the level design itself. Not by adding a layer of frustration by forcing the player to repeat long stretches.

SerTapTap

Ok I changed my mind. There is one PS Plus stinker this month. DuckTales. Gameplay is solid enough, but yeah it's got some real 8-bit bullshit in there and there was absolutely no need for the lives system to be that punishing. That's something that really should have been modernised. Include a hardcore mode to appease people that want that crap. And oh my god stop with the goddamn cutscenes already. Completely kills the flow.

It has lives? Man I hate lives in platformers. Will still check it out though, for Unca Scrooge

Producer

I don't understand. People complain about there being no exclusives on the Vita, but as soon as one comes out they want it ported to Ps4, or the next game just on Ps4.

the people who 'hate' on the vita/complain about no exlusives and the people who want some of its games ported to ps4 probably aren't always the same people

ecurbj

The PSP got murdered by piracy so bad in the West that it made people forget how it had a pretty good thing going for it prior to that.
That's sad because one, I don't support piracy and two, the PSP had an good amount of support coming from all over the world.

I just made a list of games I played on the PSP and was astonished at what I played (a lot).

Doombear

Wow I missed this news. Cautiously optimistic for this. Hope its a sequel rather than a G version. Is this going to be a new Sony's vita announcement in a long time?

I hesitate to hold my breath for the former. I agree though, I am still having fun with it myself. Even more so now that I have a Vita TV (which it really looks pretty damned good on). I would love to see them improve on the formula, but sequel or expansion... either way as long as they aren't giving up on the series then I'm in.

I don't even know what you're talking about. Surely you could point out what exactly is bothering you about DT's realisation of a lives system.

Your point about difficulty is moot, anyway, since DT has always been super lenient.

As far as defensiveness is concerned, you reap what you sow.

yeah... of all the games to complain about having lives... Duck tales? Those games aren't exactly difficult. Honestly easier than basically every 2D mario prior to the "New" prefix.

That said: Lives are not bad game design, either. Lives are the classic way of punishing the player for fucking up. If you don't want to lose, get good. It's not like the story is remotely important, so if you're playing just to beat it, you're wasting your time.

In other words:
git gud, son

SerTapTap

yeah... of all the games to complain about having lives... Duck tales? Those games aren't exactly difficult. Honestly easier than basically every 2D mario prior to the "New" prefix.

Uh isn't one of the most commonly mentioned elements of the game the high difficulty on normal and higher mode? I haven't played it yet, but I've heard nothing but how hard the game is.

daydream

Banned
It gives you very few lives, in fact I haven't even seen an extra life anywhere yet. When you die you have to repeat the entire level again, and these levels are loooooooong. Being forced to repeat such long gameplay sequences because of an arbitrary lives system is not fun. It's repetitive, tedious and boring. If you're going to make a platformer challenging, make it be because of the level design itself. Not by adding a layer of frustration by forcing the player to repeat long stretches.

You're describing every game with a lives system ever. Sounds like you ran into the "natural" challenge you so desire and are blaming it on the lives system. Unless compared to one-screen platformers like N+ or Super Meat Boy, I can't imagine any context in which DT's levels could be considered long. They're so short that I can map them out in my head.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Remastered had other issues. I think it's a good game overall, even though there's zero reason to play it if you have access to the original.

Uh isn't one of the most commonly mentioned elements of the game the high difficulty on normal and higher mode? I haven't played it yet, but I've heard nothing but how hard the game is.

Relative to modern games, yeah they're hard. Relative to NES games? eh. They're nothing special. Classic Megamans are also harder in my experience.

That said, it's been a while. It's possible I'm underestimating it. Regardless, the point of "if you don't like it, don't play" still stands. There's literally nothing but gameplay.

antibolo

Banned
Complaining about lives? Seriously?

BTW the original Duck Tales had no continues. So this remake is already pretty toned down as it is in terms of punishment for failure.

I don't think that is exactly what happened. Sony should have already known how difficult it is to sell at a premium price point. They already had bad experience with the PS3 regarding the pricing. According to Scott Rhode, they were close to breaking even with the Vita at launch.

And those downgrade rumors regarding the memory were probably a misunderstanding of how the RAM is shared between games and OS. Rumors already had it at 512 MB overall from the same source. The downgrade numbers speak of 256 MB main RAM and 128 MB VRAM.

I mean, we know the specs of the Vita and they are 512 MB main RAM (256 MB OS + 256 MB games) and 128 MB VRAM, which makes 640 MB overall. The downgrade rumor sets those numbers at 256 MB Main (of which 26 MB are for the OS) and 128 MB VRAM.
It would have been also crazy to think Sony did cut the RAM in half, because that would mean they planned for 1 GB Main and 256 MB VRAM, which would have been massive for the time. The PS3 only had 256 MB Main + 256 MB VRAM.

Regarding the internal memory, it was obviously a choice to generate some profit. There is no denying that.

Maybe it was Sony's strategy to let gamers speculate on the price of the Vita and then prove them all wrong at E3.
As for the RAM issue, it can indeed be confusing, but then again the PS3 launched in 2006, so it doesn't seem totally unreal to me that 5 years later you have 4 times the main RAM.
Watching that Scott Rhode interview, it's sad to see how little remains of their vision.

Tried out The Swapper yesterday, really like the atmosphere. Haven't played the other PS+ games yet.

SerTapTap

Relative to modern games, yeah they're hard. Relative to NES games? eh. They're nothing special. Classic Megamans are also harder in my experience.

That said, it's been a while. It's possible I'm underestimating it. Regardless, the point of "if you don't like it, don't play" still stands. There's literally nothing but gameplay.

The game is frequently praised for getting the original VA for Unca Scrooge and (at least the original) is heavily praised for the music...that's hardly "literally nothing but gameplay"

The game is frequently praised for getting the original VA for Unca Scrooge and (at least the original) is heavily praised for the music...that's hardly "literally nothing but gameplay"
Well if you put up with games you don't like for the VA, sure. Most people don't, in my experience.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You're describing every game with a lives system ever. Sounds like you ran into the "natural" challenge you so desire and are blaming it on the lives system. Unless compared to one-screen platformers like N+ or Super Meat Boy, I can't imagine any context in which DT's levels could be considered long. They're so short that I can map them out in my head.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Remastered had other issues. I think it's a good game overall, even though there's zero reason to play it if you have access to the original.
To be fair they probably seem longer than they actually are because of the cutscenes. The cutscenes certainly make the levels feel really long. They stop the game dead so many times. I love the voice acting, but there was no need to make he gameplay stop every minute for it.

SerTapTap

More games need to have the walk n' talk style not-really-cutscenes that Borderlands has. And none of this "stick your finger in your ear and walk real slow" shit either. Just let me play while people are talking.

pariah164

So, VitaGAF, winter my birthday is coming, and I know as a result, some money will be coming my way. Naturally, this means a new game. I'm looking at Tales of Hearts R, but I remember playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS and not getting into it. I disliked it so much I sold it, actually. So is Tales of Hearts R better? Do I need to play any other game in the series for it to make sense to me?

Tom mentioned in taht thread that the text is a bit hard to read on the vita screen at times.

1 point for podcast predictions LOL
So, VitaGAF, winter my birthday is coming, and I know as a result, some money will be coming my way. Naturally, this means a new game. I'm looking at Tales of Hearts R, but I remember playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS and not getting into it. I disliked it so much I sold it, actually. So is Tales of Hearts R better? Do I need to play any other game in the series for it to make sense to me?

Shizuka I believe prefers Hearts R (or at least the cast). The tales community seems pretty split on Abyss, though, so I'm not sure how they would match up.
Unfortunately, I'm not well experienced with Tales, so I'm not the best person to answer.

daydream

Banned
No one mentioned the Brandish release date in here? I'm disappointed

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967487

$20, January 13th

Nothing concrete yet, but a EU release should not be far behind
The game looks really interesting

Yeah, the SNES original is a very interesting (if flawed) game, from what I've read, heard and seen over the years. We've also heard nothing but good things about Dark Revenant so I think it's safe to say that it's the definitive version of a diamond in the (now diminished) rough. I certainly can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yeah, the SNES original is a very interesting (if flawed) game, from what I've read, heard and seen over the years. We've also heard nothing but good things about Dark Revenant so I think it's safe to say that it's the definitive version of a diamond in the (now diminished) rough. I certainly can't wait to get my hands on it.

I really didn't know anything about the game before today but the excitement in the thread is very promising. Combined with this
Yeah, I actually translated the entire game myself on my own time, off the clock. It was a pure labor of love. ;)

-Tom
I'll probably buy it as soon as it's released.

daydream

Banned
To be fair they probably seem longer than they actually are because of the cutscenes. The cutscenes certainly make the levels feel really long. They stop the game dead so many times. I love the voice acting, but there was no need to make he gameplay stop every minute for it.

No argument there. The original is so much snappier because of it (like I said, I really think it's superior in every way - well, except maybe the money bin which is new in Remastered).

I really didn't know anything about the game before today but the excitement in the thread is very promising. Combined with this

If you wanna get acquainted with it a little bit, look no further than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhzIcct0Dqo

Tom's a trooper. I've linked it before, but if you're interested you should read his brandish localization blogs over at xseedgames.tumblr.com. He's a good writer, and it's very interesting.

Wow guys I have to tell you all, I never thought our little podcast would get this many views. A look at the stats tells me, that since we put our first episode out, there have been 189 views of our blog, spanned across 112 different viewers. On behalf of myself I say thank you for going along with what I thought was an idea that would bomb. Thank you NormalFish and Shizuka for coming along too, we made it happen.

This is overwhelming for me,it might seem like a very small number to many, but for me this is huge. Thank you all for watching, seriously, some of you have even commented on our page. I went ahead and ordered myself some new equipment, so hopefully the audio issues on my side will be somewhat alleviated with time.

You guys rock :) VitaGAF is the best GAF.

antibolo

Banned
I was wondering, does the PSP store still exist?

My PSP is not compatible with my home wifi so whenever I want to install a game I do it from my PS3, so despite still using my PSP I haven't accessed its store in years, and I think I remember hearing them shutting it down.

My PSP is not compatible with my home wifi so whenever I want to install a game I do it from my PS3, so despite still using my PSP I haven't accessed its store in years, and I think I remember hearing them shutting it down.

In EU, the store is down, but you can still access your download list and download your purchases directly. Afaik nothing has changed in NA and the store is still up.
Wow guys I have to tell you all, I never thought our little podcast would get this many views. A look at the stats tells me, that since we put our first episode out, there have been 189 views of our blog, spanned across 112 different viewers. On behalf of myself I say thank you for going along with what I thought was an idea that would bomb. Thank you NormalFish and Shizuka for coming along too, we made it happen.

This is overwhelming for me,it might seem like a very small number to many, but for me this is huge. Thank you all for watching, seriously, some of you have even commented on our page. I went ahead and ordered myself some new equipment, so hopefully the audio issues on my side will be somewhat alleviated with time.

You guys rock :) VitaGAF is the best GAF.

Congrats! I'm happy my name suggestion was so well liked and I was able to make a small contribution. Didn't expect it honestly :)

Doombear

I keep pleasantly forgetting about and re-remembering that Brandish is coming. Day-0 here. I can't wait. Reading Tom's impressions on the different output options (PSP w/ TV out, Vita TV, PSP, Vita) has me excited even more.

While working on the game, I played it on PSP, on Vita, on my TV via PSP TV-out, and on my TV via PSTV.

I'd rank them as follows:

1) TV via PSP TV-out
- Does only display in the middle of the screen, letterboxed and pillarboxed on all sides, but it's pixel-perfect and really sharp-looking, and I'm a sucker for playing games on my television when I'm at home, so this was my personal play method of choice.

2) Vita screen
- PSP games look really good on the Vita screen, if you ask me. Especially if you hold the PS button and turn on all the filter settings, expanded color space, etc. -- everything looks really smooth and pretty, with the only downside being that some of the smaller text is sometimes a little hard to read. (If you play on your Vita screen, though, I highly recommend turning the brightness all the way up, as Brandish looks particularly dark otherwise for some reason.)

3) TV via PSTV
- PSP games aren't particularly sharp on PSTV (they're upscaled, and they look it), but it's still playing the game on your TV (and filling the screen, no less) with a PS3 or PS4 controller, so there ain't a damned thing wrong with this solution.

4) PSP screen
- Going native is fine, and looks especially good with the expanded color space on a 300X model PSP, but I still personally prefer the other three options.

-Tom

Takao

Banned
Monster Rancher in Deception IV??? http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/07/deception-iv-little-tribute-monster-rancher/

will monster rancher be revived as an invizimals clone

I just checked an hour ago: the PSP NA store is still active. The last new release was a PSP Minis bundle early last month.

Shizuka

Thanks for the heartwarming comments about the podcast, guys. Names, Fish and I will work towards improving most of the aspects mentioned here for the second episode, and I'm sure the rest will get ironed out as we get more used to doing it ourselves.

The Downloadlist can still be accessed on the PSP, even if the Store has been shutdown. But since you can't connect with WiFi, you'll have to use your PS3 or MediaGo on a PC.

Takao

Banned
I'd be surprised if Freedom Wars G isn't a PSV/PS4 game, but there's something off about this. Would it move PS4s in Japan? Given GE2:RB would launch first, platform preference for this genre and feedback from the first release: I don't think so. Would it sell well enough in Japan to justify its existence? TBD. So that's got me thinking about the west, but Freedom Wars had a weird rollout here. It felt very much like an afterthought. It's sub-only and launched at a budget price. If they knew a PS4 version was coming, why not pay for a dub and spread the costs across both? If it exists, are they just going to stealth launch it on PSN like Soul Sacrifice Delta and Hot Shots Golf 6 PS3? If that's the plan, why bother?

I'd be surprised if Freedom Wars G isn't a PSV/PS4 game, but there's something off about this. Would it move PS4s in Japan? Given GE2:RB would launch first, platform preference for this genre and feedback from the first release: I don't think so. Would it sell well enough in Japan to justify its existence? TBD. So that's got me thinking about the west, but Freedom Wars had a weird rollout here. It felt very much like an afterthought. It's sub-only and launched at a budget price. If they knew a PS4 version was coming, why not pay for a dub and spread the costs across both? If it exists, are they just going to stealth launch it on PSN like Soul Sacrifice Delta and Hot Shots Golf 6 PS3? If that's the plan, why bother?

is there reason to believe there's a "definitive edition" coming? Seems unlikely to me.

SerTapTap

is there reason to believe there's a "definitive edition" coming? Seems unlikely to me.

A) It's a hunting game. For whatever reason, the genre loves Enhanced Editions as much as shmups and fighting games.
B) They're doing some weird special event in Japan and are going to announce their plans for freedom wars. It's either big DLC or a definitive edition.

Freedom Wars doesn't have worthwhile paid DLC, right? I don't know if a definitive version could work.

He means a "ultimate"/"G" style hunting game expansion, or at least that's what most people expect. The DLC as-is is not worth bundling and releasing separate

A) It's a hunting game. For whatever reason, the genre loves Enhanced Editions as much as shmups and fighting games.
B) They're doing some weird special event in Japan and are going to announce their plans for freedom wars. It's either big DLC or a definitive edition.

He means a "ultimate"/"G" style hunting game expansion, or at least that's what most people expect. The DLC as-is is not worth bundling and releasing separate

that's interesting. I still don't entirely understand how this game has the marketting it has, but I suppose it's not a bad thing. I'll get an ultimate edition if it comes westward, but I still don't expect it.

Yasumi

Banned
Monster Rancher in Deception IV??? http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/07/deception-iv-little-tribute-monster-rancher/

will monster rancher be revived as an invizimals clone
Whoa, they actually brought him back from Deception 2, I'm kind of shocked.
37-ePSXe_2007-06-21_20-23-30-44.jpg

A Monster Rancher based on Near passes or something would be cool as heck.

Xenoflare

Freedom Wars really needs a "Ultimate" or "Burst" version of it because the story towards the end is seriously lacking. Even for a game that I gave zero shit about the story.

Top Bottom