• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Tizoc

US VitaGAF better get dat Brandish, it's already my Vita GotY contender and I haven't even played it yet~

Yes, the PS3 was quite old at that time but we are talking about mobile hardware. 1GB main RAM would have been huge back then for pretty much every mobile device. Being a gaming system, the amount would have been even more impressive. I know Apple cheaps out compared to Android manufacturers but their Iphones still only have 1 GB main RAM today.

Also, the Vita has an ace up its sleeve with the dedicated VRAM compared to other mobile devices which holds true to this day. Mobile hardware doesn't have any dedicated VRAM and the memory bandwidth is a problem for mobile GPUs.

As you mentioned, it is really sad looking back to the old days and seeing how many things ended.

Thanks for the more technical explanation. Didn't know how the Vita compared to other mobile devices.

Do you have a PS4? cuz the creator of The Swapper made this game which is releasing on PS4 in a few months
Talos_Principle_logo.jpg

Not yet, but I will keep it in mind when I buy one.

Benedict

Finished Danganronpa a couple of days ago and is now trying the School mode.
It's a OK game but not worth the praise a lot of people are giving it, according to me.
Played with japanese audio, listened short to english audio but I did not like it at all.
Some negatives, since all it gets in this thread is mostly positive:

* The main characer is very short compared to the NPCs, AKA crotch cam.
When you move up to other characters you are about the same height as their... crotches.
No big deal but annoying and could be easily fixed.

* Controls in the world are not that great.

* Logic in how people think and where they can go in the game is very flawed.

* Presentation on how the trials work are poor and required me to go online and check how to do it, only to find out several other people complaining about the same issue.

Still like the game though, but not as much as I thought I would.

Producer

danganronpa games are overrated as hell here in gaf

they're solid but not anywhere near as good as you would think because of the amount of praise it gets in virtually every single vita thread.

bobohoro

they're solid but not anywhere near as good as you would think because of the amount of praise it gets in virtually every single vita thread.

I agree to some extend. As VN, they are average, but unique. The despair, black humor and over the top characterization makes them stand out and it manages to get the darker feelings across pretty well. Its story, character depth and logic are rather lacking on the other hand.

As a puzzle game, its pretty bad.

So why is the series so well regarded? Because it's one of a kind, really. Danganronpa, if you are in the right frame of mind, is a unique experience, albeit a heavily flawed one. But the combination of being one of the few localised VNs until now, the dark atmosphere and stand-out characters like Monokuma leave a better impression on many people than the game probably deserves.

That said, while I wouldn't rate it as highly as many here, I'd still recommend at least trying DR1 to anyone interested in it.

On the podcast: Nice first take! But you really need to iron out the audio kinks first. Since you already have the mic-upgrade on the way, make sure to balance your volumes in the next episode and get rid of any background noise if you can.

No. Why do you ask?

Escapehatch ent. (starlight Inception/tactics) said that tactics will come to the vita when unity supports the platform.

Then unity anwered my tweet and said that they still support the Vita :)

Edit: I just remembered that Kick & Fennick game, I look forward to seeing more from that game. And now that I think about that game I don't get how Rochard never got released for the vita.

http://youtu.be/8Z9Xu9rZLpM

http://youtu.be/gshH3iE4EiA

Throwing things is my absolute favourite game mechanic (how I wish psi-ops got a sequel).

Shinriji

Escapehatch ent. (starlight Inception/tactics) said that tactics will come to the vita when unity supports the platform.

Then unity anwered my tweet and said that they still support the Vita :)

They said that the vita is lagging behind in the latest Unity update. Not that vita don't support Unity.

VLiberty

For some reason I want Kick & Fennick. The "&" in the bolt is like a not-so subliminal message telling me to buy it...

btw Prototype 2 is finally free for PS+ users

Shinriji

Oh, I see. My bad.

Away, I just got a confirmation from the developers (twitter) that unity 5 will support the Vita as well so that is always something.

No prob :) I am a backer of Starlight Inception kickstarter, and in the latest backers update they said that a new patch is coming out, improving framerate and draw distance and (the best for me) to reduce the overall size of the game.

Starlight Inception improved a lot since the release, and is actually good right now. Give it a try when the latest patch hits. Is not that vita have a lot of Sci-fi action games, anyway.

And it's good to know that Vita will support future Unity versions.

incpdo

Hell yeah it is, GAF praises it.

Great! im hoping a 15 dollars price for this and im going to pay them , i like the art and the metroidvania feel .

So this 2014 the Vita sold more than 1.1 millon Vitas, vs 3ds that did 3.1 millon sales the whole year. I think its a pretty good year for the Vita after all , is second in hardware sales and the games are selling very good too(not million sellers but profitable enough). Its a bad 2014 for the whole industry and maybe the worst in 10 years but i think besides that and maybe considering that was a good year for Vita being a "dead console"and all. Lets hope 2015 gets bigger for this little fella.

nampad

No prob :) I am a backer of Starlight Inception kickstarter, and in the latest backers update they said that a new patch is coming out, improving framerate and draw distance and (the best for me) to reduce the overall size of the game.

Starlight Inception improved a lot since the release, and is actually good right now. Give it a try when the latest patch hits. Is not that vita have a lot of Sci-fi action games, anyway.

And it's good to know that Vita will support future Unity versions.

Man a lot of things must have changed in the game, lol.

Shinriji

Man a lot of things must have changed in the game, lol.

I hear ya. The backers beta and the public beta were a total disaster. They had to double the size of the game to insert the missing geometry, pop-in, fix the AI logic and fix the ship momentum.

Its no Star Citzen, btw, but a simple and fun flight sim. Today the ship moves like the space sections of AC3: Electrosphere.

Takao

Banned
Agatsuma released some horrible screenshots for Umihara on Vita:

I mean, I know it's 60fps and all, but it's a port of a very plain looking 3DS game.

None of the screenshots are Vita's screen res either.

Zhao_Yun

Is it safe to look into the "Vita has the most games releasing in Japan through March" Thread or should I expect Vita-Bashing everywhere?

Maid

Banned
Do not look into that thread. I expect at least one "How many of it are port/VN" post per page, and will delve into games sale number.
Recently it's not about "Vita has no games", but has turned into "Vita has no good game with high sale number". Like, if it's not on Youkai Watch number, then Vita is a failure or something.

Great! im hoping a 15 dollars price for this and im going to pay them , i like the art and the metroidvania feel .

So this 2014 the Vita sold more than 1.1 millon Vitas, vs 3ds that did 3.1 millon sales the whole year. I think its a pretty good year for the Vita after all , is second in hardware sales and the games are selling very good too(not million sellers but profitable enough). Its a bad 2014 for the whole industry and maybe the worst in 10 years but i think besides that and maybe considering that was a good year for Vita being a "dead console"and all. Lets hope 2015 gets bigger for this little fella.

Hmm? When you look at it like this, it actually isn't bad. However the problem is still outside of Japan, right? I really wonder if Asia will ever become the potential land like we hoped for.

The list of no-released-date-Vita-games already long enough that I feels like we don't have to worry about 2015.

I hear ya. The backers beta and the public beta were a total disaster. They had to double the size of the game to insert the missing geometry, pop-in, fix the AI logic and fix the ship momentum.

Its no Star Citzen, btw, but a simple and fun flight sim. Today the ship moves like the space sections of AC3: Electrosphere.

I didn't back it but I bought it day1 even though I knew about how the demo was the full game when it got released.

I have saved the last mission to when they have fixed the normals inside the cave in mission 5 and made the GP(?) gain more balanced (right now the easiest way to gain points is to grind the tutorial).

I didn't care for the tower defence mode, I wish that they made som SP DLC and I ablolutely loved the music and sound in the game.

Will reinstall it when I buy a 64gb mc as it is one of my "go to" games.

maouvin

Is it safe to look into the "Vita has the most games releasing in Japan through March" Thread or should I expect Vita-Bashing everywhere?

It's still tame. Some few people questioning the viability of localizing such games (as they're presumed to be on the niche that the Vita already covers), some people discussing about learning japanese, some fellow VitaGAFers posting that they already smell the upcoming hate, etc.

There's more people suprised at the number of scheduled WiiU games than bashing the Vita.
Kev's there too, so be cautious anyway if things happen to start to pick up.

Maid

Banned
It's still tame. Some few people questioning the viability of localizing such games (as they're presumed to be on the niche that the Vita already covers), some people discussing about learning japanese, some fellow VitaGAFers posting that they already smell the upcoming hate, etc.

There's more people suprised at the number of scheduled WiiU games than bashing the Vita.
Kev's there too, so be cautious anyway if things happen to start to pick up.

But really, even I didn't expect the WiiU to has that little support from 3rd party devs. Even more so that the Vita and WiiU have similar number of hardware sale, but it looks like no one want anything to do with it. It does make me wonder if Nintendo did anything to the 3rd party scene.

Shinriji

There's more people suprised at the number of scheduled WiiU games than bashing the Vita. Kev's there too, so be cautious anyway if things happen to start to pick up.

There is some light trolling here and there, but nothing major (for now). I'll be wary of posting there.

Is starlight inception a space sim for vita!?!?

Yes, it is.

Is there any indication when PS+ folks will be getting that 10% off discount this month. Gotta grab Danganronpa before a flight in a couple of weeks!

SerTapTap

I have decided that The Swapper is one of the best puzzle platformers ever.

Great gimmick, used extremely well, great progression of difficulty, fantastic atmosphere, interesting yet minimal as possible story, and I like the ability to (somewhat) chose which puzzles to do next if you get stumped on one and want to try the others to clear your head.

Don't bother

Agatsuma released some horrible screenshots for Umihara on Vita:

I mean, the 3DS game looks REALLY bad. Well, they all do but slightly more than normal. The game's really hard though with some really picky jumps, so it's probably best they went for 60 FPS over better IQ, not like the models were going to look any better anyway.

Yet another game that should have stuck with 2D or pixel art, though

Maid

Banned
You can play the second one now, it's even better.

Actually....I wouldn't say the gameplay is better. There are parts they managed to piss me off even more (hey, improved hangman gambit).

I still like the second game more, though, for everything else that's not gameplay.

That's very interesting to hear. I was always very interested, but the horrible reception has stopped me diving in. Might give it a try in the next sale.

Prelude.

Actually....I wouldn't say the gameplay is better. There are parts they managed to piss me off even more (hey, improved hangman gambit).

I still like the second game more, though, for everything else that's not gameplay.
I meant overall, but still, other than the improved hangman there's nothing "worse" minigames-wise.

maouvin

There are parts they managed to piss me off even more (hey, improved hangman gambit).

High-five!
After a few trials I lowered the mini-games' difficulty to the easiest thanks to that shit.

To the people complaining about the improved Hangman's Gambit... were you using Concentration at all? That makes it so much more manageable, especially if you have relevant skills equipped.

Uuh... well damn. Will try that if I get to another gambit (I'm at the beginning of the
5th
trial, so I shall have the chance).

To the people complaining about the improved Hangman's Gambit... were you using Concentration at all? That makes it so much more manageable, especially if you have relevant skills equipped.

antibolo

Banned

So which Vita-exclusive games do you feel deserve more praise than Danganronpa? It's not like there's a lot of them.

Prelude.

It's not hard per se, it's just worse than the DR1 version.
The first time, if you're going for the related trophies, is pretty tough.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So which Vita-exclusive games do you feel deserve more praise than Danganronpa? It's not like there's a lot of them.
I don't know about exclusive, but there's a ton of Vita games that do. The closest comparison being Virtues Last Reward, which is so much better than Danganronpa it's not even funny. God it's so depressing that VLR sold so badly we might not even get a third. How the fuck is Danganronpa more popular? Danganronpa is to Virtues Last Reward what the 3DS is to the Vita.

Maid

Banned

I could say Soul Sacrifice Delta, but for some reason it doesn't feel right either...

It's more like the case of "hey, I guess this word is, wait, the letter I need just won't come out, and those others letter just cluster my screen".

antibolo

Banned
I don't know about exclusive, but there's a ton of Vita games that do. The closest comparison being Virtues Last Reward, which is so much better than Danganronpa it's not even funny. God it's so depressing that VLR sold so badly we might not even get a third. How the fuck is Danganronpa more popular? Danganronpa is to Virtues Last Reward what the 3DS is to the Vita.

VLR is also on 3DS. And arguably better on 3DS because of it's the main platform.

Benedict

What do you mean?

Did you skip the tutorial or what?

You can play the second one now, it's even better.

How the main character and other NPCs refuse to check certain areas because there are girls/boys there even though no such restriction is in the regulations.
The tutorial is poor, and not good. As I said, a quick search on Google proves that.
I'm going to play the second game soon.

I preferred Virtues Last Reward over Danganronpa, miles better in my opinion.

Top Bottom