• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

FiveOVER

Neo Member
Personally, I think dangan ronpa deserved all the praise it got. There's just so much charm in the game. I was always excited all the way through the class trials. On the other hand, nothing in 999 grabbed me except for some of the sci-fi explanations. I haven't tried VLR though.

Prelude.

How the main character and other NPCs refuse to check certain areas because there are girls/boys there even though no such restriction is in the regulations.
Unless you're talking about going into the girls/boys bathroom/changing room (which is pretty standard behaviour) I can't remember anything of the sort unless you make an example.

The tutorial is poor, and not good. As I said, a quick search on Google proves that.
Well, no. It's like linking DSP to prove that a game is poorly designed.

I preferred Virtues Last Reward over Danganronpa, miles better in my opinion.
VLR is a great game but it's really, really unpolished.

And arguably better on 3DS because of it's the main platform.
I'd say it's objectively worse, the two screens aren't used in any meaningful way.

Producer

So which Vita-exclusive games do you feel deserve more praise than Danganronpa? It's not like there's a lot of them.

i dont know, they dont have to be exclusive though.

i do feel like theres a section of vita fans that praise these 2 games and P4G not just because they are good games but because they are 'vita exclusives' .

Maid

Banned

i do feel like theres a section of vita fans that praise these 2 games and P4G not just because they are good games but because they are 'vita exclusives' .

Do you really think that people don't legitimate enjoy those games more than all the others?

Except for the fact they're not vita exclusives, sure.

People praise those games cause they're good games.

also... Danganronpa get a praise for having an atmosphere that pulls you into a game, and good characters and passable story to make a very strong package. I can understand not enjoying the games but its no mystery why they're well liked.

I really love the latest Playstation Vita PS+ offerings even if they aren't the best games.

mwpRMaM.jpg

Duke Nukem 3D - Vita

This is a dream port that has everything you could want and more. After you die you get the option to start again at any time within the last few minutes. Lots of content here with all the expansions. I realized the game had aged because episodes where I didn't have any nostalgia for weren't as much fun. Still fun to find all the secrets that I forgot the locations for after all these years. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody that did play this in the 90's tho.

8/10 with nostalgia
6/10 with no nostalgia

iQZhAea.jpg

Whoa Dave! - Vita

Your going to hate this game at first. It takes a little time to get used to non standard game conventions like auto picking up everything and nothing is explained. Deaths will seemingly come out of nowhere but there is actually reasoning for things that are happening that you will learn after time. Almost gave the game up early but now I am addicted. For free everyone should give it 20 minutes on it. Nothing else here but the base score chasing game but can't beat the price.

7/10

Producer

im not saying they dont enjoy them, of course they do. I liked those 3 games as well. I just feel that way from what i've observed in several threads and other vita communities.

Games dont have to be exclusive for them to get more praise than Danganronpa

Except for the fact they're not vita exclusives, sure.

People praise those games cause they're good games.

also... Danganronpa get a praise for having an atmosphere that pulls you into a game, and good characters and passable story to make a very strong package. I can understand not enjoying the games but its no mystery why they're well liked.

You're right. I didn't play danganronpa 1 on vita, i have the psp version. And i played P4 over a half a decade ago. Still though people consider them vita exclusives. Not really going to argue that point.

Maid

Banned
im not saying they dont enjoy them, of course they do. I liked those 3 games as well. I just feel that way from what i've observed in several threads and other vita communities.

Games dont have to be exclusive for them to get more praise than Danganronpa

Yes, games don't have to be exclusive for them to get more praise, but it's usually an exclusive game got praised because it utilizes the hardware the most. Multiplatform games usually fall into those 2:

1. It performs like shit on the Vita (Telltale games, BL2, etc)
2. It's underutilized with what the Vita is capable of (God Eater 2 compares to Freedom Wars).

I don't see what's wrong with people praise Danganronpa when they actually enjoys it, exclusive or not. It's just a great game on the hardware that fits with it, and manage to last in people memory much more than others, so they always remember the good things about it. Look at Killzone Mercenary. It's the best game of the franchise, but you won't hear people bring it up a lot even though it's also an exclusive game, since what's there to discuss about the game?

Producer

Yes, games don't have to be exclusive for them to get more praise, but it's usually an exclusive game got praised because it utilizes the hardware the most. Multiplatform games usually fall into those 2:

1. It performs like shit on the Vita (Telltale games, BL2, etc)
2. It's underutilized with what the Vita is capable of (God Eater 2 compares to Freedom Wars).

I don't see what's wrong with people praise Danganronpa when they actually enjoys it, exclusive or not. It's just a great game on the hardware that fits with it, and manage to last in people memory much more than others, so they always remember the good things about it. Look at Killzone Mercenary. It's the best game of the franchise, but you won't hear people bring it up a lot even though it's also an exclusive game, since what's there to discuss about the game?

God Eater 2 was held back because it was also released on PSP. And i hear those Telltale games run poorly on every platform lol.

But yeah you're right. You make good points with killzone mercenary and danganronpa. It probably wasn't the best idea for me to say what i said since its kind of inappropriate/impolite in a vita centric thread. I was just sort of rambling some thoughts that came to my head while reading the last page.

SerTapTap

I wish they had more Vita sales on PSN...so I could rebuy stuff I have digital. I love my pretty cases but it's been a real pain in the butt to have physical games, especially to swap between PS TV and Vita like I have been for Freedom Wars.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
VLR is a great game but it's really, really unpolished.
More unpolished than those fucking minigames? LOL. I actually think VLR is an exceptionally polished game. Perfectly designed puzzles, great presentation. I'm really not sure what you're referring to. You're gonna have to explain that one.

Maid

Banned
God Eater 2 was held back because it was also released on PSP.

Well, that's my point of the case multiplatform games underperformed on the Vita.

I wish they had more Vita sales on PSN...so I could rebuy stuff I have digital. I love my pretty cases but it's been a real pain in the butt to have physical games, especially to swap between PS TV and Vita like I have been for Freedom Wars.

I see less and less Vita sale on US PSN as time passed. I'm scared to think of the day they won't bother to put up any sale for it anymore.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
More unpolished than those fucking minigames? LOL. I actually think VLR is an exceptionally polished game. Perfectly designed puzzles, great presentation. I'm really not sure what you're referring to. You're gonna have to explain that one.

The only bit of polish VLR is lacking is some of the controls for the 3D puzzles late in the game. Some of those are dire, especially on the Vita. One of the reasons I prefer the 3DS version in fact.

Compared to Dangdanronpa's absolutely dreadful minigames though? Those are wrought of pure despair.

SerTapTap

Well, that's my point of the case multiplatform games underperformed on the Vita.

I see less and less Vita sale on US PSN as time passed. I'm scared to think of the day they won't bother to put up any sale for it anymore.

I dont' see why they wouldn't, not like it distracts PS4 owners in any way. Hope they keep it up, 2013 had lots of great digital sales on PS3 content, wish the Vita got similar.

Maid

Banned
I dont' see why they wouldn't, not like it distracts PS4 owners in any way. Hope they keep it up, 2013 had lots of great digital sales on PS3 content, wish the Vita got similar.

I just don't know if people bought the sales a lot or not, as for some reasons the sale of Vita keep reduced in quantity, so they may see it's not profitable to bother with it more than necessary.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
NO.

Go out and get 999. It's not hard to come by. Also don't get the shitty VN version, play the damn game.
Meh, the game part of 999 aint evn that good. The puzzles were simplistic as hell, and good god being forced to replay the puzzles in every playthrough was tedious as hell.

bobohoro

Meh, the game part of 999 aint evn that good. The puzzles were simplistic as hell, and good god being forced to replay the puzzles in every playthrough was tedious as hell.

They are still integral to the plot and cummulate in the final twist being awesome, something the VN version lacks. But yeah, the forced repetition is kinda bad, but the game manages to sink its hooks deep enough that bruteforcing them with a faq on later cycles is manageable and doesn't take too long.

Is VLR worth getting for the Vita if I've never played 999?

The game is still great, but you are missing out on alot of enjoyment, since 999 arguably is the better story and VLR certainly treads you like you should have played it to understand everything going on.

And VLR > DR1&2, it's not even close for me personally, both in gameplay and story.

Producer

havent played the ios version, but wouldnt removing the puzzles also remove all the dialogue that happens while exploring areas and examining objects? imo that adds alot to the game and you get to learn more about the characters and the story through that dialogue

Prelude.

Because it feels and looks like a cheap mobile game.
The UI is ugly as hell and lags pretty badly, the touch input simply doesn't work properly (terribly imprecise and delayed) and the controls when you're solving a puzzle are garbage.
You'd never think it was made two years after Danganronpa by the same company.
And in fact it wasn't since Spike and Chunsoft didn't merge yet.

Is VLR worth getting for the Vita if I've never played 999?
Yes, you don't need to play 999 first, but do it if you can.

Producer

i wonder now that spike chunsoft is a thing, if DR3 and ZE3 if it gets made, will get help by the other writers in the company. I kinda hope not though, they are very different titles.

SerTapTap

I just don't know if people bought the sales a lot or not, as for some reasons the sale of Vita keep reduced in quantity, so they may see it's not profitable to bother with it more than necessary.

Doesn't the Vita have crazy attach rate and high % of digital purchases? Seems it's in their best interest to continue sales to monetize current users. A single Vita user seems more valuable than most users...I think it's 10 games, which is like double the 3DS and PS4's attach rates.

antibolo

Banned
I just bought the Japanese version Metal Gear Rising so I can enjoy a second playthrough of the game with white blood. Because why the hell not.

SerTapTap

PS Vita 3rd Super Robot Wars Z Jigoku-hen PlayStation Vita the Best

Who in their right mind think this kind of cover is fit to be called "the best"? Was looking for this since my PS3 just died recently and I want to finish it on my Vita, but now after looking at the cover I don't really feel like putting it on my shelves anymore.

The Best/Greatest Hits covers are designed to shame you for not buying the original release. That is the only explanation because they are all god awful looking in all regions and on all platforms. PS3 even has the Red Box of Shame so you can tell at a glance you have failed Publisher Senpai.

So I think I've come up with a way for a future DanganRonpa game to be different and interesting.

1) The Main Character has "The Ultimate Memory" and uses it to figure out the crime in real-time. You would go back in time via memory flashbacks to present evidence and recreating the crime, instead of simply using logic.

2) Emphasis on Connecting Clues, rather than Presenting Evidence. This is why the DR games are getting so stale. Simply presenting your findings and telling your peers they're wrong isn't very compelling. Instead, the game does the interesting part: putting it all together. By using the aforementioned Ultimate Memory, you could have "flash backs" from the perspective of the killer, using this to figure out how the clues are related and how they intertwine to create the crime.

It won't happen, but I really like the concept.

I still don't understand how they somehow managed to make the mini games even worse in Danganronpa 2

Other than Logic Dive, they all feel worse. I don't get it, either.

SerTapTap

So I think I've come up with a way for a future DanganRonpa game to be different and interesting.

1) The Main Character has "The Ultimate Memory" and uses it to figure out the crime in real-time. You would go back in time via memory flashbacks to present evidence and recreating the crime, instead of simply using logic.

This just makes me want a game to use Remember Me's Memory Remixes as the primary gameplay. What a poor, flawed, interesting game. I ragequit because building meter to defeat normal-ass enemies was insufferable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Things that aren't fun in Danganronpa 1 (haven't started two yet)

Any of the minigames. None of them work well. (One could, I guess consider the actual trial a minigame, I consider it the main game and that is done well enough)

The investigation. Boring as hell. People complain about AA 5's investigations being too streamlined but this is a whole new layer of boring and on rails.

The first three trials have such dumb logic applied to them. At least the game gets better about this. Light Spoiler for the game.
How do I know that this guy died after this guy? Well, how about the fact that the guy who died second SPOKE TO US AFTER THE FIRST GUY DIED!!!
and that isn't even the worst example I can drag out.

The actual trials and the VN parts in between are pretty good for the most part.

I'm actually scared when so many people say that the minigames are worse in 2.

How...is such a thing even possible?

This just makes me want a game to use Remember Me's Memory Remixes as the primary gameplay. What a poor, flawed, interesting game. I ragequit because building meter to defeat normal-ass enemies was insufferable.
I'd play this.
Things that aren't fun in Danganronpa 1 (haven't started two yet)

Any of the minigames. None of them work well. (One could, I guess consider the actual trial a minigame, I consider it the main game and that is done well enough)

The investigation. Boring as hell. People complain about AA 5's investigations being too streamlined but this is a whole new layer of boring and on rails.

The first three trials have such dumb logic applied to them. At least the game gets better about this. Light Spoiler for the game.
How do I know that this guy died after this guy? Well, how about the fact that the guy who died second SPOKE TO US AFTER THE FIRST GUY DIED!!!
and that isn't even the worst example I can drag out.

The actual trials and the VN parts in between are pretty good for the most part.

I'm actually scared when so many people say that the minigames are worse in 2.

How...is such a thing even possible?
The mini games aren't substantially worse. I think half of it is that the localization isn't as eloquent, so some of the logic games are needlessly obtuse. And logic dive is the best DR mini game.

The investigations could also be a bit more interesting. Neither game does this particularly well, but I think the best ones are in DR2.

Producer

the minigames arent so bad, the only thing is that i was confused as hell during the first time playing the rebuttal showdown. otherwise it was almost the same thing for me.

Cha

Still playing through Danganroonpa2 (ch4 now), but I don't understand the complaints about Improved Hangman's Gambit. I liked the extra challenge. You're screwed if you don't use concentration gauge though. In the minority here, but I prefer it to the DR1 version. The only minigame that feels silly to me is that cutting one. Doesn't function very well.

Phototropic

Neo Member
Still playing through Danganroonpa2 (ch4 now), but I don't understand the complaints about Improved Hangman's Gambit. I liked the extra challenge. You're screwed if you don't use concentration gauge though. In the minority here, but I prefer it to the DR1 version. The only minigame that feels silly to me is that cutting one. Doesn't function very well.
Agreed on the cutting game although the gamesaver for me was using the left stick instead of swiping. It was driving me to frustration on the 2nd trial until I changed to the stick.

SerTapTap

Oh is there supposed to be a sale next week? I'm terrible at these things

I made the mistake of not buying PS+ subscriptions when they were on sale, and now mine expires next month. Damnit.

Buy at Black Friday, it's always the lowest point for the year, and is once a year so you can safely buy a year (or two) and forget until next time

Doesn't the Vita have crazy attach rate and high % of digital purchases? Seems it's in their best interest to continue sales to monetize current users. A single Vita user seems more valuable than most users...I think it's 10 games, which is like double the 3DS and PS4's attach rates.

It's got to be more than 10 by now, but yes - 10 was the number at E3 last year IIRC.

I need to get rid of some PSN cash. Should I buy Senran Kagura: Bon Appétit!

I've been thinking about this, unsure how likely a sale is. I have $145 in PSN cash and a gift card I can't enter

I've been thinking this as well.

Hoping for a sale next week like last years.

I wouldn't buy anything until we see if there is a big 15 for '15 sale next week.

You SHOULD buy Bon Appetit!

As for whether it'll be in the sales this month, I doubt it.

Top Bottom