• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Maid

Banned
Well Vert is like the most boring of the main CPUs so...I doubt you're the only one. Her rack and the Otaku thing are the only particularly endearing features, she's not bad (Ram, now Ram is bad) but she's eh. But then Rebirth went and ruined Noire and Blanc, plus Vert is very good in battle so she was still one of my mains in Rebirth. Blanc just doesn't play very well IMO. Too focused on single heavy hits in a combat system that doesn't reward that in any real way.

Didn't play much of the original one, even though I bought it, because the framerate killed it for me, so I don't really know how Noire and Blanc were. In NepReb1, even for single target, Blanc isn't outstanding either. Doesn't help that I bought Plutina and she's pretty much replace any single target damage dealer in my party. I like Vert's antic, though.

Not like my reason for liking Noire is any better. I just find her interaction with Neptune funny, and I have a very weak spot for twintails.

[Edit]
TOTP(50ppp): Buy Brandish and while we're at the topic of NepReb, go pre-order Rebirth 2.

Third silhouette is Onechanbara PS4, according to the other topic.

Oneechanbara? I don't know what to think.

SerTapTap

Third silhouette is Onechanbara PS4, according to the other topic.

That'd be cool, didn't think those would get localizers. Love that Xseed is willing to do (and rewarded for) the stuff most publishers won't. Ideally everything would be localized.
Well, ideally we'd come out of the stone age and have a single universal language but...

Didn't play much of the original one, even though I bought it, because the framerate killed it for me, so I don't really know how Noire and Blanc were. In NepReb1, even for single target, Blanc isn't outstanding either. Doesn't help that I bought Plutina and she's pretty much replace any single target damage dealer in my party. I like Vert's antic, though.

Not like my reason for liking Noire is any better. I just find her interaction with Neptune funny, and I have a very weak spot for twintails.

Noire is great, but the new English voice (and the Japanese VA) are pretty lame, far far better in Victory and PP. What's amazing is it's apparently the same English VA (same for blanc) just...done poorly. RIP Tsundere godess. I still use her because she's great in battle and looks alright even if she lost her personality.

And I don't mean single-target damage, I mean single HIT. The game strongly emphasises multiple hits per attack due to EX gauge, accuracy and the 9999 damage limit (though it's most easily broken in this one). Single hit has basically no redeeming features and it's a major detriment to Peashy and Blanc. It might do slightly more Break damage relatively, but I don't find it significant enough to notice (blanc's cheapest skill does have good break, but not enough to be worth it).

From what I read the only difference on easy is you take half damage and have infinite continues. I feel the lives system does nothing but add annoyance by making me do the whole level over again. And the thing is whenever I replay the level I have zero trouble because I know how to avoid death in the level that time. Really all it adds is repetition after you die a few times. It doesn't seem like a game where the enjoyment comes from any difficulty.

Yeah, it sounds like it's just less forgiving checkpoints which is exactly the sort of "difficulty" I despise. Making me waste more time replaying what I beat handily instead of what I got stuck on is just awful game padding. Even in DKCTF lives are basically meaningless (it's pretty hard to run out if you're slightly good) and that's the best recent implementation of "difficult 2D platformer" I can think of.

Yasumi

Banned
GAF will love it.
Fun threads to be had.
18151655424630.jpg

autoduelist

Posted this in a different thread where a user was asking for lesser known PSP / PSV titles.

For those of you who creep the JPSN store and want an advance wars type of game (more serious setting, but very similar gameplay) look for these 2 titles. Get ready to lose hours of your life with these games.

PSP - た - 大戦略ポータブル Genki the Best
大戦略ポータブル2 Genki the Best

Both go for 1,851 JPY

SS from first game
------

I wish this game would get localized (alongside many others, I suppose). Looks a bit too complex to play w/o any Japanese.
------

Gladiator Begins is probably my favorite PSP game overall. Combat is just so satisfying. The only other gladiator game I can even think of that comes close is Shadow of Rome (ps2) - it's a bit more arcadey but plays really well (and attacks can amputate limbs and such). Gladiator Begins has a bit less blood, but better armor/weaponry configs and feels a bit less arcadey overall.

And then there's Gladius of course, but that's a SRPG.

Actually, I highly recommend all 3 of them. I've beat (or re-beat) them all in the past 5 or so years, and all hold up very well imo.

Why are there so few good gladiator games? We need more!

(I believe Gladiator Begins has a ps3 sibling, but I haven't tried it). EDIT -- looked it up -- Gladiator Begins seems to be a prequel of sorts to PS2's earlier Colosseum - Road to Freedom, and then there is a ps3 sequel called Clan of Champions. I've only played GB of those, but mostly because CoC never seems to go on sale.

Maid

Banned
Noire is great, but the new English voice (and the Japanese VA) are pretty lame, far far better in Victory and PP. What's amazing is it's apparently the same English VA (same for blanc) just...done poorly. RIP Tsundere godess. I still use her because she's great in battle and looks alright even if she lost her personality.

You make me curious about PP. Maybe I should give it a chance.

Redhood

Hey guys how many neptunia games are there? I am interested in buying one but I don't know how many are there? Which is the game to get?

EDIT: Saw gameplay for U. It looks so much fun.

[edit]
^ beaten.

Can't find every song, but let me give you the best one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB4arZOdjoE

I can get behind this, since I love them.
Thank you for these. These are great.

Maid

Banned
Hey guys how many neptunia games are there? I am interested in buying one but I don't know how many are there? Which is the game to get?

Neptunia Rebirth 1 if you're new to the entry. It was on sale recently, but I don't know if it's has ended or not. I doubt anyone nowadays could play through the original one, so you shouldn't bother.

SerTapTap

There are 3 main RPG ones (1, Mk2, Victory, soon Victory 2), PP (idol management sim on Vita), Neptunia U (Senran Kagura/Musou clone by Tamsoft on Vita), Hyperdevotion Noire ( SRPG by Sting, Vita).

Of the PS3 games, Victory is by far the best as it's closest to stable and has good combat, mk2 is okay but very flawed combat, 1 is...we don't talk about 1's combat.

Then there's the remakes (rebirth) which basically steal Victory's combat system and iterate on it a bit, and rebirth 1 was relocalized (I think 2 is the same, correct me if I'm wrong?) The Rebirth games are coming to Vita and eventually Steam.

I'd begrudingly recommend starting with Rebirth 1, best gameplay and stable performance, but Victory PS3 has good voice acting (as does PP and Mk2). But Victory will eventually have a Rebirth 3.

Story-wise, entry point is irrelevant. The girls' personalities become quickly apparent and the story is just fluff for fun and prior games' stories are generally irrelevant and/or the intro of the game prepares you for the story regardless.

You make me curious about PP. Maybe I should give it a chance.

It plays like a fairly basic "life sim", you have stats, you have days, you spend your days raising stats, putting on concerts, but IMO the main reason to buy is for the humor and personality of the girls. You pick one of the 4 CPUs to take under your wing and they all go through an arc. Noire's is pretty good (I am biased), less interested in Vert's but they all seem to have their moments of humor. FULLY voice acted, which is an extreme rarity for western neptunia games. Game is a bit samey after the first playthrough but it's not too bad if you're playing for the humor/interaction. I've been meaning to grab a trophy guide (100% seems...weird and not obvious) but it was worth the $20 I paid for it.

The songs are also kinda cute (songs are still Japanese) but there's not too many and interaction during songs is minimal.

But will we get the strawberry+banana costume?

XSeed didn't censor Senran Kagura Versus which has...things, I doubt they'll censor anything unless the ESRB absolutely demands it (allegedly this is the only reason NISA censors)

Maid

Banned
It plays like a fairly basic "life sim", you have stats, you have days, you spend your days raising stats, putting on concerts, but IMO the main reason to buy is for the humor and personality of the girls. You pick one of the 4 CPUs to take under your wing and they all go through an arc. Noire's is pretty good (I am biased), less interested in Vert's but they all seem to have their moments of humor. FULLY voice acted, which is an extreme rarity for western neptunia games. Game is a bit samey after the first playthrough but it's not too bad if you're playing for the humor/interaction. I've been meaning to grab a trophy guide (100% seems...weird and not obvious) but it was worth the $20 I paid for it.

The songs are also kinda cute (songs are still Japanese) but there's not too many and interaction during songs is minimal.

Songs are in Japanese is actually a plus for me. Game being a bit samey after each playthrough won't be much of a problem, since I'm used to reading visual novel, lol.

Gonna purchase this one the next time I add cash to my PSN wallet, then. Sound like I won't regret it.

HGH

Banned
And I don't mean single-target damage, I mean single HIT. The game strongly emphasises multiple hits per attack due to EX gauge, accuracy and the 9999 damage limit (though it's most easily broken in this one). Single hit has basically no redeeming features and it's a major detriment to Peashy and Blanc. It might do slightly more Break damage relatively, but I don't find it significant enough to notice (blanc's cheapest skill does have good break, but not enough to be worth it).
It's kinda odd but Blanc is actually a major rusher. She has early 8 hit Rush attacks and thus is good if you need an extra person building up EXE while still being tanky. The problem with this though is, that since you only have 3 party slots, you're probably better off using someone else with good Rush instead since tankiness and DEF buffs just don't make up for say, stronger EXEs, range or AGI/TEC buffs.

b1JIBWd.png

Wait, what?
Maybe they meant Akiba's Trip?

Major typo. Tokyo Jungle is listed again later with the same description so probably a bad case of Copy/Paste.

Songs are in Japanese is actually a plus for me. Game being a bit samey after each playthrough won't be much of a problem, since I'm used to reading visual novel, lol.

Gonna purchase this one the next time I add cash to my PSN wallet, then. Sound like I won't regret it.
It's basically a VN/Sim with some music elements, so it sounds up your alley.

yaffi

>Buys Yakuza 5 because that's never going to get localized.
>Gets localized.
>Buys Onechanbara Z Kagura
>Apparently gets localized too.

Good job me!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This seemed like the best place to post this:

PSN store is offering a free movie in celebration of New Years. You can choose between Anchorman 2, Star Trek: Into Darkness, World War Z, Transformers: Extinction, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014). The first three are available on Netflix I believe, and while the last two aren't exactly great movies (going by reviews), free is still good right?

Check your email for the voucher code.

Producer

Well, I bought Senran Kagura too. So there's that.

But I don't think localized versions of Tales of Vesperia and E.X. Troopers will ever see the light of day.

man E.X Troopers is so damn good. But yeah it will never be localized, its a shame since its the best Lost Planet game

Is the new Sword Art game annouced for west already ?

I've noticed chinese-english subs version is up for preorder on play-asia

Nope, not announced yet, but like you say the Asian subbed version is.

I figure it's only a matter of time. I'll wait and see if they do physical for Vita this time around, if not, I'll import again!

yaffi

I was actually thinking about buying the Higurashi port.

Also there's quite a high number of games I wanted to import back then, but refrained from buying since my japanese wasn't (and still isn't) exactlay good.

Please buy Yakuza Ishin and Zero.

No PS4 yet.

man E.X Troopers is so damn good. But yeah it will never be localized, its a shame since its the best Lost Planet game

It really is an awesome game and it features my favorite japanese voice actor.

Maid

Banned
>Buys Yakuza 5 because that's never going to get localized.
>Gets localized.
>Buys Onechanbara Z Kagura
>Apparently gets localized too.

Good job me!

I heard there is a Digimon game on Vita is going to get released, and it looks pretty great.

100% expected. You guys are so easily hyped lol

VitaGAF managed to keep their hype in check, though. And I even think that announcement is better than what I expected.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Playing First Light. This shit is smooth as butter. Has to be higher than 30fps, right?
I believe the average is like 45fps. It rockets up to the high 50's in enclosed spaces like the arenas though. It's pretty freaking great. Voice acting is top tier too.
It's that bad in the US? Here in France yhe Vita has a bigger retail shelves space then the WiiU, it even got more retail shelves recently in the biggest multimedia store over here.
In Gamestops, the Vita gets the back facing side of the farthest back metal rack in the store. It's like they're trying to hide them. In Best Buy, it gets like 2 rows of 1+ year old games. The systems are actually with the 3DS's for gods sake.

Speaking of Gamestop, I picked up One Piece because it's freaking Gamestop exclusive otherwise I would've gone to Best Buy for GCU in a jiffy. The "New" copy they sold me was the display copy with the cartridge taken out. I was going to say something snarky but the cashier told me all about what this "New" copy was. So I just didn't bother. Tried to sell me on Gamestop PowerUp and I explained to him that I get a solid 20% off and more useful reward points at Best Buy. He actually didn't give me a receipt otherwise I'd comment about it on their survey thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Both of my Local Gamestops are tiny and Vita gets two two foot wide shelves on the side cap by the Nintendo 3DS/DS section in the back corner.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That song was probably worth the 15 bucks I paid when the game launched. Otherwise a pretty disappointing remake. The original game is much better.

SerTapTap

How rare is Tales of Hearts R likely to be? Slightly tempted at $30 for collection reasons if it will be rare (I knowi t's gamestahp exclusive) but TBH I can't get excited about playing it right now

It's kinda odd but Blanc is actually a major rusher. She has early 8 hit Rush attacks and thus is good if you need an extra person building up EXE while still being tanky. The problem with this though is, that since you only have 3 party slots, you're probably better off using someone else with good Rush instead since tankiness and DEF buffs just don't make up for say, stronger EXEs, range or AGI/TEC buffs.

Better than Plutia? I kinda doubt it, her best Rush attacks build EXE INSANELY, unreasonably well. So well that I use her to build EXE despite her also having crazy OP normal, special and EXE attacks as well.

BTW to anyone getting Neptunia Rebirth, absolutely buy the DLC characters, at least plutia. They are a whole dollar each, fully realized playable characters (though with no added story interaction). Plutia is OP and availible early, Peashy is okay, Histoire is adorable and her EXE and (insanely expensive) ultimate weapon are crazy good.

I believe the average is like 45fps. It rockets up to the high 50's in enclosed spaces like the arenas though. It's pretty freaking great. Voice acting is top tier too.

In Gamestops, the Vita gets the back facing side of the farthest back metal rack in the store. It's like they're trying to hide them. In Best Buy, it gets like 2 rows of 1+ year old games. The systems are actually with the 3DS's for gods sake.

Speaking of Gamestop, I picked up One Piece because it's freaking Gamestop exclusive otherwise I would've gone to Best Buy for GCU in a jiffy. The "New" copy they sold me was the display copy with the cartridge taken out. I was going to say something snarky but the cashier told me all about what this "New" copy was. So I just didn't bother. Tried to sell me on Gamestop PowerUp and I explained to him that I get a solid 20% off and more useful reward points at Best Buy. He actually didn't give me a receipt otherwise I'd comment about it on their survey thing.

I should take a picture of the Vita racks at the Gamestop I go to. They moved the racks to the front replacing the Wii U racks and the Wii U has the back of the store now lmao

Now that I think about it our local videogame retailer Micromania (also really shitty) which as been bought by Gamestop is acting the same way, but thankfully there's no retail exclusive games or the weird habit of opening sealed game before selling them.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Ack! Dammit! I accidentally redeemed an Amazon Prime membership. Free 2-Day shipping but I didn't want it right now. Ah well, at least I'll get my notebook on Monday instead of Friday. I had plans for that thing. Was gonna save up like $20 and order a whole bunch of super cheap DVD's and posters. Maybe even some weird videogames. Who knows?

How long is the Platinum for Miku Project Diva F? I swear to god if I have to rub their foreheads for too much longer I'm going to implode.

Top Bottom