• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

How rare is Tales of Hearts R likely to be? Slightly tempted at $30 for collection reasons if it will be rare (I knowi t's gamestahp exclusive) but TBH I can't get excited about playing it right now

Better than Plutia? I kinda doubt it, her best Rush attacks build EXE INSANELY, unreasonably well. So well that I use her to build EXE despite her also having crazy OP normal, special and EXE attacks as well.

BTW to anyone getting Neptunia Rebirth, absolutely buy the DLC characters, at least plutia. They are a whole dollar each, fully realized playable characters (though with no added story interaction). Plutia is OP and availible early, Peashy is okay, Histoire is adorable and her EXE and (insanely expensive) ultimate weapon are crazy good.

I've been to EB Games for other games, but I always check to see if they have a Hearts R copy there, I've been to 3 different ones, and nothing. I think it is quite rare now, at least here in Toronto, but much like yourself it's not like I am dying to play it or anything.

TOTP: Buy Freedom Wars

Takao

Banned
Yeah, it looks like Gamestop Canada's allocation of ToHR has run dry. You can't buy it on their site anymore and none of my local locations have it.

SerTapTap

Ack! Dammit! I accidentally redeemed an Amazon Prime membership. Free 2-Day shipping but I didn't want it right now. Ah well, at least I'll get my notebook on Monday instead of Friday. I had plans for that thing. Was gonna save up like $20 and order a whole bunch of super cheap DVD's and posters. Maybe even some weird videogames. Who knows?

Amazon prime is amaaaaazzziiiing, it ruins almost all other stores for me. But it of course depends how much you'd use it

Amazon prime is amaaaaazzziiiing, it ruins almost all other stores for me. But it of course depends how much you'd use it

WAS amazing. Lately Amazon.ca has been slacking hard. I'm prime, and everything was great up until the summer, release date delivery guaranteed. Then something happened, and while some games do get that shipping option, others don't and of course the stuff that I want to buy doesn't get it...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wish this game would get localized (alongside many others, I suppose). Looks a bit too complex to play w/o any Japanese.
------

Gladiator Begins is probably my favorite PSP game overall. Combat is just so satisfying. The only other gladiator game I can even think of that comes close is Shadow of Rome (ps2) - it's a bit more arcadey but plays really well (and attacks can amputate limbs and such). Gladiator Begins has a bit less blood, but better armor/weaponry configs and feels a bit less arcadey overall.

And then there's Gladius of course, but that's a SRPG.

Actually, I highly recommend all 3 of them. I've beat (or re-beat) them all in the past 5 or so years, and all hold up very well imo.

Why are there so few good gladiator games? We need more!

(I believe Gladiator Begins has a ps3 sibling, but I haven't tried it). EDIT -- looked it up -- Gladiator Begins seems to be a prequel of sorts to PS2's earlier Colosseum - Road to Freedom, and then there is a ps3 sequel called Clan of Champions. I've only played GB of those, but mostly because CoC never seems to go on sale.

Im not sure if Begins is an actual prequel or a more streamlined version for the PSP, since the PS2 version had a lot of issues, even though did some great things too. Was hilarious winning fights in the massive arena by running around and throwing shit at your opponent due to knowing you were too fucked up to actually fight him head on. Since if you got lucky whatever you threw would hit an unprotected region doing damage. Since the arena was so huge too it was easy to do lol All that was missing was the Benny Hill theme song.

One thing for sure is most def begins is a better version though.

With the original PS2 title they wanted to have in dismemberment and such for the localized Western release, but was changed later on. The reason being was that the game itself had too many in game engine cutscenes where issues would occur with dismembered characters showing up in them which was hilarious. So can understand that is a ton of work to redo to take into account for the dismemberment and such, making more work that what it was worth. Was pretty cool though when it was working and a shame that it did get removed in the final build. Truthfully I would have left it in as an option with a disclaimer saying "jank present" but am sure lots of folks would have used it. Other funny thing too was being able to sell said body parts to make money, when it still was in the build.

On the topic of that "advance wars" game while it may look like a lot of Japanese its actually not that bad once you know what the status screens are. Then the more basic things such as movement, range, fuel capacity, ammo capacity. Also the terrain bonus / hindrance for the terrain tiles. All the other stuff is mostly fluff for the military otakus.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I've been to EB Games for other games, but I always check to see if they have a Hearts R copy there, I've been to 3 different ones, and nothing. I think it is quite rare now, at least here in Toronto, but much like yourself it's not like I am dying to play it or anything.
There was one at either Gamestop I went to. Heh, Houston is flooded in them. Depressingly small amount of Vita owners here apparently. On the plus side, I can get whatever I want whenever I want.
Eh. It's fantastic for little nick nacks. For example, a notebook. But for games I'd rather Best Buy Gamers Club with free shipping because Elite membership.

This One Piece game is amazing by the way. Looks amazing, probably native res with a solid framerate. Combat is good so far, no dub though. Can't have everything I guess.

Parakeetman

http://gematsu.com/2015/01/sony-starting-new-freedom-wars-propaganda-idols-project

"A new project surrounding Freedom Wars‘s “Propaganda Idols” is in preparation, producer Junichi Yoshizawa announced during Sony’s “Sinners Festival” event in Osaka today.

The keyword for the project is “5.” Five new songs will be released in some form down the line, and the “Contribution Girls” are alluded to be getting a new unit.

The Contribution Girls are an idol group in the game world designed to raise prisoners’ motivation. Their members are Coni (voiced by Momo Asakura), Opti (Sora Amamiya), and Panna (Shiina Natsukawa), and have previously released singles such as “Sentenced to 1,000,000 Years of Love” and “Panopticon Work Song #1.” Their music has been released in CD form under the title “Super Contribution Drive Music Collection.”

This was actually announced during the music stage event. That “something” teased for the last stage event earlier this week was just a present lottery for attendees to win an autographed standup from the presenters."

*Insert wow its fucking nothing.gif*

But this pretty much was expected. That and would have been stupid timing considering Rage Burst is coming out also which more people would actually look forward to here. Would say most def that IF anything was going to be announced would be after Rage Burst is released.

SerTapTap

"A new project surrounding Freedom Wars‘s “Propaganda Idols” is in preparation, producer Junichi Yoshizawa announced during Sony’s “Sinners Festival” event in Osaka today.

What the fuck. Was too early for a Burst since it's pretty fresh, but still, what.

Eh. It's fantastic for little nick nacks. For example, a notebook. But for games I'd rather Best Buy Gamers Club with free shipping because Elite membership.

Yeah thanks to GCU I'll use it less, but I buy a lot of games too old or unusual for Best Buy to stock, and get most electronics and other stuff on Amazon. There are extremely few other stores I'll use, almost only if they have exclusive items or an insane discount. I'm actually amazed Best Buy has managed to beat out Prime, though the shipping kinda sucks even when over the free threshold.

WAS amazing. Lately Amazon.ca has been slacking hard. I'm prime, and everything was great up until the summer, release date delivery guaranteed. Then something happened, and while some games do get that shipping option, others don't and of course the stuff that I want to buy doesn't get it...

Not all games promise it, but at least in the US I've only had a couple games not on release date (and they weren't ones with the promise)

Parakeetman

What the fuck. Was too early for a Burst since it's pretty fresh, but still, what.

Its only "what" to those outside of the country who do not see that the propaganda idols are pretty much the only popular thing about the game at this time. So makes sense that they want to capitalize on it more.

Though they could start by putting the fucking theme on the JPSN for starters instead of having it just been a comiket exclusive.

Yeah if they want to do anything else with Freedom Wars they most def will need to make a 2nd title instead that addresses all of the issues of the first one over an "upgraded" version.

With the scenario, character development, how they handle between missions, character animations, weapon animations / usage (esp melee weapons), weapon balance, more varied abductor types.

The graphics, ibara system and general map design were strong enough as is. Controls were fine too. The other stuff are things that they will need a clean slate to work on and cant be done in a simple "G" version of the game.

SerTapTap

I had never even heard of the propaganda idols until now. I assumed they were announced at the event.

And personally my biggest problems are definitely the crafting...I guess that's not usually what G revisions do, but it seems like it should be possible. The rest would be nice, and maybe Japanese players minded more than me, but I don't really think they harm the game enough to go back to the drawing board. I do hope they make a second one, whether it's a FW 2 or a FW Burst

Parakeetman

I had never even heard of the propaganda idols until now. I assumed they were announced at the event

If you never followed info on the game thats not surprising considering they were not included in the game originally and all people got was the DLC of the 3 songs.

One of the largest fuckups they could have done really. As it made zero sense why they would have even bothered to do the 3 songs if they were not included in the game itself. Its not as if they used different VAs too, as they pulled double duty for characters in the story. Which made people initially think that they were connected to the actual plot in some way.

S8yYkxr.png

This was the first song that they had put out initially before the games release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqyKS2ANIxs

Tapejara

Yeah, it looks like Gamestop Canada's allocation of ToHR has run dry. You can't buy it on their site anymore and none of my local locations have it.

I knew I should have bought it when I had the chance. Had it on pre-order too, but I ended up cancelling it on release day. I better hurry up and pick up One Piece: UWR before that disappears.

VLiberty

man E.X Troopers is so damn good. But yeah it will never be localized, its a shame since its the best Lost Planet game

Tried the JPN PS3 demo shortly after playing Bulletstorm (which made me realize how great fastpaced shooters are) and the dash mechanic intrigued me a lot, but man I really can't stand the artstyle. Hovever, if it ever comes over I'll surely get it at a low price. Most probably on 3DS, maybe with the frankenpad too.
But it's 100% unlikely.

Sarcasm

Wish I got the Vita version of Dragon's Crown instead of the PS3 version a while back.

Wonder if I can email and ask to switch >.<

Parakeetman

man E.X Troopers is so damn good. But yeah it will never be localized, its a shame since its the best Lost Planet game

The idiot of a main character ruined it. As the dude was just beyond fucking stupid and irritating. Hes not even the "good" type of shounen character either, just a total fucking beyond redemption idiot. Asides from that the gameplay was ok, but felt watered down "for kids" type of level.

Id say the best lost planet was 2 actually. But far more amusing to play in co-op. Really great monster design and being able to go into the beast and blast it from the inside was awesome.

Please buy Yakuza Ishin and Zero.

lol

Producer

The idiot of a main character ruined it. As the dude was just beyond fucking stupid and irritating. Hes not even the "good" type of shounen character either, just a total fucking beyond redemption idiot. Asides from that the gameplay was ok, but felt watered down "for kids" type of level.

Id say the best lost planet was 2 actually. But far more amusing to play in co-op. Really great monster design and being able to go into the beast and blast it from the inside was awesome.

Yeah he was really annoying lol. But it was a pretty basic shooter but i really liked the simplicity of it, and i think the art style was pretty neat.

But you're right, Lost Planet 2 is a ton of fun with friends/co-op, unfortunately for me i was rarely able to get a party going.

Parakeetman

Yeah he was really annoying lol. But it was a pretty basic shooter but i really liked the simplicity of it, and i think the art style was pretty neat.

But you're right, Lost Planet 2 is a ton of fun with friends/co-op, unfortunately for me i was rarely able to get a party going.

The art style was well done and the main reason why I had initially picked it up. The PS3 version that is.

Shizuka

Just bought two Skinomi full-body filters, one for my OLED Vita and the other for my Vita-2000. It's going to take weeks, but it's okay.

To those who told me to stick to Diablo 3: thank you. You may have broken my Destiny addiction. Diablo fills this loot need of mine perfectly, by rewarding me constantly without the stress of having weekly caps, daily events missed, etc. It's also the perfect game to remote play after getting home from a long hard day, playing some music or some podcast in the background and just shutting my brain off.

Flandy

>Buys Shinovi Versus new at gamestop
>Opens Shinovi Versus
>Takes out artbook and soundtrack
>Shinovi Versus is nowhere to be seen
>Find a slip of paper where a CD should go
>Cartridge inside of the slip
>No blue box to be seen

-__-

Shizuka

>Opens Shinovi Versus
>No blue box to be seen

-__-

That's weird, was it factory sealed?

>Opens Shinovi Versus
>No blue box to be seen

-__-

Wow that sucks, are you going to take it back?

Flandy

It's Gamestop. He probably got a gutted version with an employee who forgot/didn't want to dig up the actual box.

Why wouldn't they? You're just asking for the case. They most likely have it.
If they had it wouldn't it have come with the case? I called up the gamestop I bought it from and they told me they didn't have the game.

You won't know until you try.
I suppose so. Guess I should have ordered from Best Buy instead @__@

Flandy

Yet another reason to never shop at gamestop ever.

I picked up 6 years of gamers club unlocked at best buy back when you were able to get subscriptions for $5 in Novemeber. Best Buy has kind of seen to it that I won't be doing much business at gamestop anymore :lol

Takao

Banned
If they had it wouldn't it have come with the case? I called up the gamestop I bought it from and they told me they didn't have the game.

If it didn't come with the actual box, you didn't buy a new copy. Them misplacing the box is the result of their gutting practise. Other than buying a non-exclusive at Gamestop, you're not the one who goofed here.

Did you find the cart in one of their yellow disc envelopes? If so, bring it to the store and tell them that if it's a new copy it should come in a proper Vita box with a SK art insert.

Flandy

If it didn't come with the actual box, you didn't buy a new copy. Them misplacing the box is the result of their gutting practise. Other than buying a non-exclusive at Gamestop, you're not the one who goofed here.

Did you find the cart in one of their yellow disc envelopes? If so, bring it to the store and tell them that if it's a new copy it should come in a proper Vita box with a SK art insert.

It came with the big box that holds everything together. What it didn't come with was the regular Vita sized blue box that should have been inside the big box. Inside instead was a white envelope where a disc should have been. It says new on the envelope as well as on the outside of the box. Just to be clear. It did come with the game but not the box

It came with the big box that holds everything together. What it didn't come with was the regular Vita sized blue box that should have been inside the big box. Inside instead was a white envelope where a disc should have been. It says new on the envelope as well as on the outside of the box. Just to be clear. It did come with the game but not the box

in which case it had been gutted for no reason other than gamestop being awful. I'd take it back and ask for a full refund, tbh.

So who wants to roleplay with me in the VitaGAF LINE chat?

Takao

Banned

Show that to the store's staff as proof that you don't just want a free SK:SV Vita case (who would do this). If they lost the box entirely I'd ask for a refund.

Show that to the store's staff as proof that you don't just want a free SK:SV Vita case (who would do this). If they lost the box entirely I'd ask for a refund.

This right here. You paid for a new product, you should be getting what you played for not just a fraction. You can always do nothing about it of it really doesn't bother you, but I know I, and for what I am seeing so far everyone else also, would go back with it.

So I'm sure it's been covered before, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I know Infamous: First Light is supposed to be a standalone game (hence it being on PS+ this month)... is it safe to assume it's not entirely necessary to have played Second Son before playing this?

Flandy

Thanks guys. Gonna return it as soon as I get the chance. Ordered a copy from best buy for $40 :) Though that won't arrive till next Sunday :(
This right here. You paid for a new product, you should be getting what you played for not just a fraction. You can always do nothing about it of it really doesn't bother you, but I know I, and for what I am seeing so far everyone else also, would go back with it.
Yeah I'm pretty ticked off that it didn't come with the fucking box when I paid for a new product. Like seriously, how do you fuck up that badly?

SerTapTap

I picked up 6 years of gamers club unlocked at best buy back when you were able to get subscriptions for $5 in Novemeber. Best Buy has kind of seen to it that I won't be doing much business at gamestop anymore :lol

I think Best Buy still has SK Versus in stock (online), shoulda got it there. GCU is great, just wish the shipping were snappier.

>Opens Shinovi Versus
>No blue box to be seen

-__-

LOL.

The Flandy and Ninja Gamecase!

cyborg009

Banned
A bit off topic but has anyone here played the OG phantasy star online?

So I'm sure it's been covered before, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I know Infamous: First Light is supposed to be a standalone game (hence it being on PS+ this month)... is it safe to assume it's not entirely necessary to have played Second Son before playing this?
IIRC it's an origin story so no.

Maid

Banned
http://thevitalounge.net/new-details-for-upcoming-saekano-vita-title/

Seems like more and more new anime come together with a Vita game. First was Hanayamata, and then Yuki Yuna, now this one, and they are not just pure VN either. I know it doesn't matter much to us here, but the games got announced before the anime finished airing is a sign that the Vita is still healthy in Japan.

Well, healthy enough that we won't have to worry 2015 could be it last year.

Garraboa

>Opens Shinovi Versus
>No blue box to be seen

-__-

My Shinovi Versus LE was gutted as well. The only reason I even knew GS had one was because they took the blue box and put it with all the other Vita games. I went to the counter with the box and asked "This is supposed to come with a bigger box and more stuff, right?" Both workers looked at each other and one told the other "yeah, it's probable in the left drawer". So one guy took the empty LE box and the other one got the CD and artbook from god knows where. As they were ringing me and putting everything inside together one of the guys keeps looking at the CD and jokingly told me "But I'm keeping this one &#12389;&#65507; ³&#65507;)&#12389; " I honestly was expecting funnier looks.

I got really worried that they woud've missed something, since I wasn't familiar with the LE contents.It wasn't until I got home that I verified that everything was there. I'd say a trip to GS is more than justified, since they've must've done the same to that LE and scattered its contents all over the store. Vita games get no respect :/.

Top Bottom