• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Grim Fandango...

give_it_to_me.gif

How I'm supposed to wait an entire month to play that masterpiece in HD glory I don't know.

I hope you know what you are in for. It is hard. Adventure games are now just interactive stories. Grim Fandango gets super obtuse but maybe in the age where the answer is a click away it doesn't matter. The story isn't there as much as modern adventure games which are designed to just tell a story instead of adventure game of the 90s where they were designed to make you bang your head against the wall. Probably not going to buy this as I don't want to ruin my memories of it.

TOPR: Rock Boshers DX - The game that should have won GOTM. Nobody talked about playing Guilty Gear here I surprised by it. Who actually played it?

incpdo

Does anybody else have a problem with the memory card being finicky?

If I'm playing a game and have to set the Vita down to do something else I have to be extremely gentle or else the system will instantly restart and tell me that I need to insert a memory card.

I have to take the memory card out and reinsert it to get it working again.

I'm worried that this is going to corrupt my data. My Vita is an original model and I've had it for just over 2 years.
Is it a 64g one?

Like I said, I think you're mis-reading that section's meaning. It means "If Player A subscribes and Player B is on the same machine, then Player B gets to play Player A's IGC games." That's it.

Looks like it. I still don't understand why I can't just use a trial like on Xbox, but that's a argument for another time.

It's a 16GB.

It's not a huge issue.

But it could be if I lose my data because of it. :p

If its been like this since you got it, have you tried working in the memory card tray a bit (clicking the memory card in and out a few times with the Vita completely off)? It could be that it's just not sitting all the way in place.

SerTapTap

Yes, absolutely. Keep in mind to explore and battle in the optional dungeons because there's a major difficulty spike at the end of chapter 2 that have scared off a lot of people. At level 25 you learn EXE Drive attacks that will help a lot.

The OT has assorted hints lying around, though yeah, doing "optional" dungeons and fighting most enemies you come across are the most important things.

I recommend 'em as long as their humor is to your tastes. I enjoy them in general but IMO the humor is the most important part. If you can't enjoy the meta humor about (mostly Japanese) games you're dead inside not going to have the optimal experience.

If its been like this since you got it, have you tried working in the memory card tray a bit (clicking the memory card in and out a few times with the Vita completely off)? It could be that it's just not sitting all the way in place.

It didn't start doing this until a few months ago.

I first noticed it when I began playing SK Shinovi Versus but I'm sure the game has nothing to do with it as this seems like a hardware problem.

I'll try the memory card thing but I've had to reinsert it multiple times because of this already.

incpdo

It didn't start doing this until a few months ago.

I first noticed it when I began playing SK Shinovi Versus but I'm sure the game has nothing to do with it as this seems like a hardware problem.

I'll try the memory card thing but I've had to reinsert it multiple times because of this already.

maybe you should clean up a bit the slot. it could be that you have some dust in it. if you have an air compressor pistol that would work.

maybe you should clean up a bit the slot. it could be that you have some dust in it. if you have an air compressor pistol that would work.

Dust could be the problem since it builds up fast in my room.

I can't believe I never thought about that.

Thanks for the advice.

JJP12

After 47 hours I finally finished Tales of Hearts R. I really enjoyed my time with the game, probably a lot more than I should have. It was my first tales game I've finished since Symphonia on the Gamecube. The story wasn't anything special but I definitely fell in love with the cast of characters. All the skits were entertaining and the overall humor, although a bit cheesy, was right up my alley. I thought the random encounters would become annoying but I enjoyed the battle system so much that it never became a problem. Guard counters and chase links were really fun. Here's to hoping more good jrpgs make their way on to the Vita in 2015!

Also, if anyone likes tales and has 50 hours to kill I definitely recommend this game!

autoduelist

I hope you know what you are in for. It is hard. Adventure games are now just interactive stories. Grim Fandango gets super obtuse but maybe in the age where the answer is a click away it doesn't matter. The story isn't there as much as modern adventure games which are designed to just tell a story instead of adventure game of the 90s where they were designed to make you bang your head against the wall. Probably not going to buy this as I don't want to ruin my memories of it.

TOPR: Rock Boshers DX - The game that should have won GOTM. Nobody talked about playing Guilty Gear here I surprised by it. Who actually played it?

I replayed it a couple years ago, it's still fantastic. I think it'll find a wide audience, it's not so difficult as to be impossible. Buy it, play it, and fall back in love with it.

Just finished the 2nd trial in DanganRonpa 2. My thoughts:

Peko's total personality change was horribly inorganic. It was 100x better executed with Jack in DR1.
Okay, post-trial cinematic helps. This is better.

I replayed it a couple years ago, it's still fantastic. I think it'll find a wide audience, it's not so difficult as to be impossible. Buy it, play it, and fall back in love with it.

It was difficult enough that I couldn't finish it. I think I have become stupider so there probably is no hope without a guide. I did like it at the time but still thought Full Throttle was better.

incpdo

i was going to vote for Rock Boshers but ended up not voting due to me forgetting i had to do it. Rock boshers should have a sequel

Tapejara

Anyone in here finish all of the HVT missions in Unit 13? I have one left, but there's no way I'm going to unlock it through 5-starring all of the missions. If anyone would be so kind as to send the mission my way through Near (lol, remember Near?) I'd be grateful!

Also, I have three big, recent Vita releases that I've started but still haven't beat. I'm about twenty minutes to an hour in each of them. Which should I focus on first?

1. Danganronpa 2
2. Persona 4: Golden
3. Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus

I'm kind of leaning towards Shinovi Versus.

Anyone in here finish all of the HVT missions in Unit 13? I have one left, but there's no way I'm going to unlock it through 5-starring all of the missions. If anyone would be so kind as to send the mission my way through Near (lol, remember Near?) I'd be grateful!

Also, I have three big, recent Vita releases that I've started but still haven't beat. I'm about twenty minutes to an hour in each of them. Which should I focus on first?

1. Danganronpa 2

I think you can guess my answer

1. Danganronpa 2

Damn, that's a hard choice, but honestly I'd have to say either Dangan2 or P4G - partly because of the three you've got two games with visual novel heavy content, so you should finish one of those first (SV's is much, much less comparatively).

Dangan will be quicker to finish, so personally I'd suggest that.

I got the finial mission a few times through Near but for some reason I didn't play it. Regret that now. Sorry.

I still get a few Treasure Park puzzle every once and while through Near. Treasure Park is terrible but I still will play every puzzle I get. Whoever designed Treasure Park must have done Near because both interfaces are almost incomprehensible.

I like to think I know what I'm in for, I've completed it about four times already! I just haven't played it recently because I can't get it running on my latest PC, so I'm really looking forward to revisiting one of my favourite games again, especially in its newly remastered state. And there's the fact that I always hated playing it on the PC anyway - comfy couch and controller here I come!

Hikami

Finally finished Suikoden. Not sure if I want to play Suikoden II now though.

First one wasn't really that interesting..

Diebuster

1. Danganronpa 2

I can send the last mission, just drop me a line with your PSN name.

maouvin

lttp, but happy new year PSNGAF! And cheers for Xrd!

None of the images on the OP shows up at work, it looks so clean~ Luckily that'll be fixed when I finally get home tomorrow.

And did the christmas DLC mess up with Shinovi Versus? I dowloaded it at launch, but just tried to play yesterday and ye ole DLC checking loop was there.
edit: thanks Zhao!

Flunkie

Banned
Welp I went and done it. I gave the Minecradt Vita demo a second chance and I went through the hole in the wall into the town and now I'm like really wanting to play the fuck out of this game. So what's the best way to buy this... let's say, if I wanted it on PS4 and Vita both. Saves only work from Vita -> PS3 though right?

Flunkie

Banned

1. Danganronpa 2

I've been playing more Unit 13 lately, game is so fantastic. I wouldn't mind Near missions myself...

Happy New Year friends I have never met!

Me and my Vita have high hopes for 2015 and with the posibility of a western sen no kiseki release it couldn't have started any better IMO.

VLiberty

I forgot to vote. However I've played Rock Boshers between 31's night and yesterday, so, even though I liked it and I'd have voted for it, it was too late lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
Any word on Revenge of the TItans? We got Titan Attacks a while back...but that game's not as interesting to me.

SerTapTap

So when do the new PS+ games drop?

(Sorry for the flyby question)

First tuesday of the month, every month. No if a month starts after tuesday they do not release on the last tuesday of the prior month.

I still don't like the overall structure of Neptunia.
But damn, is it addicting.
Just conquered some of the side stuff, defeating dangerous thingies all over, leveling up like mad and making some plans. Now I'm Lv47 and only started chapter 4.

Does Re;Birth2 do things differently in terms of overworld, dungeon design and progression? The game pretty much consists of the same 5 dungeon themes, you click from event scene to event scene on an overworld map and dungeon order is pretty random. I also kinda dislike the plan system and the limited space.

I mean, I have fun, undoubtely so, but I can't see myself getting the next one anytime soon if there aren't major improvements. Would probably go on my list of games to buy in a sale if it's over 50% off and I got spare time.

Unfortunately no, Mk2 has a few dungeon types the first game doesn't, but all of them share a few of the same dungeon designs, and as for the story stuff...well that's just literally any JRPG, no? My main problem with "progression" is how the whole game is based around the characters then the game spends 10-15+ hours slowly giving you access to new characters one at a time. And hell, in Mk2 [ending spoilers]
you don't even GET some characters unless you qualify for the good/better endings

Not sure what you mean by limited space, MB? The plan system is new for Rebirth, not sure how Mk2's remake will do it. I adore the plan system since it's so insanely superior to Victory's scout system, but having to replay to get more MB was a pain in the ass. Biggest change I'm aware of in Mk2's remake (other than the story and focus on the "sister" characters) is 4 player characters in battle at once, something Rebirth 1 desperately needed, I mean even 5 would feel a bit limited due to the number of characters they have now.

Just played tlou on my tablet. The future is here

Also decided to give ff9 on vita another go.

The battle load times are insane

antibolo

Banned

Nobody talked about it because most of the discussions in this thread are about the Vita, but the GOTM is for all PS games, not just on the Vita.

SerTapTap

Just played tlou on my tablet. The future is here

Also decided to give ff9 on vita another go.

The battle load times are insane

It's a great game insanely marred by the load times on battles. Performance really does matter. Mostly unrelated, I'm even more amazed by the fact that Drive Club races load in <10 seconds than I am by the graphics. Because holy crap, something looking like THAT loads in seconds.

It's a great game insanely marred by the load times on battles. Performance really does matter. Mostly unrelated, I'm even more amazed by the fact that Drive Club races load in <10 seconds than I am by the graphics. Because holy crap, something looking like THAT loads in seconds.

Yup the performance is my only complaint in FF9

I wrote off FF9 years ago but i am really enjoying it now.

SerTapTap

Yup the performance is my only complaint in FF9

I wrote off FF9 years ago but i am really enjoying it now.

If you can survive until you get an airship the game really opens up and is amazing. I also loved the sneak peeks at the world map the chocobo sidequest gives. I absolutely hate that JRPGs moved away from traversable world maps. No game feels like a complete world anymore.

bobohoro

So is Neptunia worth the sales price on EU PSN right now?

I'd say so, yes, although you shouldn't expect some amazing JRPG that will blow your mind. But it has some fun scenes, an interesting battle system and is pleasant to play, since there are no long load times, skipable battle animations and dungeons are short. The beginning however is incredibly slow, it took me nearly 10 hours to get a decent amount of party members and some skills, but then the game opens up pretty well.

And yeah, there is a difficulty spike at the end of chapter 2, but I'd say doing some optional dungeons and leveling up to around 18 is enough, just be sure to use your healing party member strategically and don't ignore your items.

Nobody talked about playing Guilty Gear here I surprised by it. Who actually played it?

I actually started my arcade stick back up in anticipation of it. But will probably wait for EU release and when I finally get a PS4. Right now I'm playing Blazblue Continuum Shift: Extend for the story and to get my execution back to a decent level, forgot how fun it can be.

MK2 stuff

Sucks. Will wait on it then.

And yeah, the event thing is basically every RPG ever, but in Neptunia you literally just click on the event flag, see the event, click on the next one, and so on. You seldomly get some bigger scene or anything, it's just one disjointed static conversation after the other. Which is ultimately fine for the type of game it is, and I can deal with it now, but it was pretty off-putting initially.

SerTapTap

And yeah, the event thing is basically every RPG ever, but in Neptunia you literally just click on the event flag, see the event, click on the next one, and so on. You seldomly get some bigger scene or anything, it's just one disjointed static conversation after the other. Which is ultimately fine for the type of game it is, and I can deal with it now, but it was pretty off-putting initially.

Do you mean the actual story events, or the stupid "here's more plans" events? The plans things are really poorly handled and a bunch of wasted time, I wish they would just unlock all your crap for you at each chapter because that's what all of those on-map events are anyway. If you mean the story stuff I think it's mostly fine, just feels lacking due to the mostly removed voice acting in the dub. I was stunned Neptunia PP has full voice acting (and the less shitty versions of Noire and Blanc, RIP best girls)

I played Rebirth on my vita and these are my thoughts. I like the humor, the combat system is pretty cool too, the characters are vibrant and full of personality, they make the game what it is. Now, although that may make the game sound awesome, it has a huge problem for me, it is grindy as heck, and the difficulty spikes are just jarring. I gave up playing because of that, I got to a point that I just couldn't advance in the story if I didn't grind over and over, and I honestly wasn't up for that at all. If you don't mind it, you've got yourself a pretty funny, cool game to play.

Top Bottom