• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

SerTapTap

I played Rebirth on my vita and these are my thoughts. I like the humor, the combat system is pretty cool too, the characters are vibrant and full of personality, they make the game what it is. Now, although that may make the game sound awesome, it has a huge problem for me, it is grindy as heck, and the difficulty spikes are just jarring. I gave up playing because of that, I got to a point that I just couldn't advance in the story if I didn't grind over and over, and I honestly wasn't up for that at all. If you don't mind it, you've got yourself a pretty funny, cool game to play.

Did you play the optional dungeons? The game really isn't very grindy at all (until postgame, and postgame is always grind anyway), but if you don't fight almost all enemies you come across and do the optional dungeons you do have to grind to make up for it. Difficulty is certainly a bit uneven, but IMO the biggest problem is just that optional dungeons aren't REALLY "optional" but the game makes no real effort to inform you of this. Also some of the hardest bosses do NOT have save points right before them and/or start immediately upon trying to go to a location, both of which are no-nos. Unsure if Rebirth 2 fixes that...I don't recall either problem in the original mk2 anyway.

Dammit top of the page uh buy Hohokum

Did you play the optional dungeons? The game really isn't very grindy at all (until postgame, and postgame is always grind anyway), but if you don't fight almost all enemies you come across and do the optional dungeons you do have to grind to make up for it. Difficulty is certainly a bit uneven, but IMO the biggest problem is just that optional dungeons aren't REALLY "optional" but the game makes no real effort to inform you of this. Also some of the hardest bosses do NOT have save points right before them and/or start immediately upon trying to go to a location, both of which are no-nos. Unsure if Rebirth 2 fixes that...I don't recall either problem in the original mk2 anyway.

Dammit top of the page uh buy Hohokum

I bolded exactly my problem with the game. Although I appreciate more content, in order to progress you must go through those dungeons, what I meant by "grinding" was exactly that. I wanted to advance the story really bad, but I had to do what you just said, visit those "optional" spots and pretty much fight every enemy in them. To me, that is grinding, and I really didn't wanna go through it /:

I'm not dissing the game BTW, for those who might think I am, I can totally see how the series has so many fans, and heck, the humor is really well done. It's just that the more I get older, the less time I have to play, I still wanna get through a campaign, but if I have to keep visiting these extra spots for an hour or so in order to see the next 20mins of story, I feel like my time is wasted, and I could be playing something else.

bobohoro

Do you mean the actual story events, or the stupid "here's more plans" events? The plans things are really poorly handled and a bunch of wasted time, I wish they would just unlock all your crap for you at each chapter because that's what all of those on-map events are anyway. If you mean the story stuff I think it's mostly fine, just feels lacking due to the mostly removed voice acting in the dub. I was stunned Neptunia PP has full voice acting (and the less shitty versions of Noire and Blanc, RIP best girls)

Totally forgot about the plans, yeah they are pretty bad too. No I do mean the story events. I guess it all comes down to the lack of towns and really interesting dungeons. Usually I am a fan of menu based towns, just makes it more organised for me and easier to get all the dialog of NPCs. But the towns in Neptunia are basically all the same, just a different background image, no real NPC interaction or anything. And the dungeons are all the same as well. The only thing breaking up seeing the same town, the same enemy designs and same dungeon backgrounds for 30-40 hours are the story events, which are only menu options featuring static image conversations. If you reduce Neptunia down to what it is and what assets it features, it's an extremly barebones game, I can't think of anything remotely comparable on the spot.

But yeah, it all is safed by the character (which are pretty awesome. Playing with japanese dub also makes all scenes voiced) and the fun and fast battle system. Grinding also really isn't a problem, if you want, you can just stockpile some EXE gauge and fight a Replicant or anything, which gives you ~40k exp and is doable at Lv25-30 already.

SerTapTap

I'm actually really goddamn tired of talking to every NPC in every town so I consider the "event" notice signifying the very, very few NPCs you need to talk to a huge plus for Neptunia. Talk to everybody, twice is one of the worst parts of JRPGs only beaten by bad save point placement, unskippable cutscenes and too-frequent random battles. This is why I couldn't get into Dragon Fantasy Book, aside from the decent humor and lovely speed-up button, it's basically a hodgepodge of everything I DON'T like about JRPGs. Must grind, talk a lot, get lost on occasion.

I bolded exactly my problem with the game. Although I appreciate more content, in order to progress you must go through those dungeons, what I meant by "grinding" was exactly that. I wanted to advance the story really bad, but I had to do what you just said, visit those "optional" spots and pretty much fight every enemy in them. To me, that is grinding, and I really didn't wanna go through it /:

I guess I didn't really mind since I wanted ot beat everything up at least once to get materials for plans and Nepedia entries. I like (within reason) trying to complete things like that. Though I'd appreciate a more feature-rich Nepedia (search by item would be lovely, also I'm a sucker for even the most stupid descriptions of each monster) and the plan stuff could definitely be grindy with some really inconsistent drops.

bobohoro

I'm actually really goddamn tired of talking to every NPC in every town so I consider the "event" notice signifying the very, very few NPCs you need to talk to a huge plus for Neptunia. Talk to everybody, twice is one of the worst parts of JRPGs only beaten by bad save point placement, unskippable cutscenes and too-frequent random battles. This is why I couldn't get into Dragon Fantasy Book, aside from the decent humor and lovely speed-up button, it's basically a hodgepodge of everything I DON'T like about JRPGs. Must grind, talk a lot, get lost on occasion.

Oh, I'm with you on that. Only in one game did I talk to every NPC available after every event, and that was Trails In The Sky, because every NPC was fleshed out. It was still a pain. But I don't think the solution to the problem is to not have real NPCs or multiple layers of dialog, instead have notifcations showing you unread dialog. Tales Of Xillia did it right, showing you a marker above a NPC's head if she had new lines. And even event markers for important NPCs. And skits informing you if there were side quests or events happening in a past town the story wouldn't take you back to.

I guess I didn't really mind since I wanted ot beat everything up at least once to get materials for plans and Nepedia entries. I like (within reason) trying to complete things like that. Though I'd appreciate a more feature-rich Nepedia (search by item would be lovely, also I'm a sucker for even the most stupid descriptions of each monster) and the plan stuff could definitely be grindy with some really inconsistent drops.

I agree, a better Nepedia would be great. It's a pain to see what you beat, where you still need an item drop to appear and where to find certain enemies, especially since Add Enemy Plans can screw the listing and turning them on/off for a couple dozen dungeons is not really optimal.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

I'm not dissing the game BTW, for those who might think I am, I can totally see how the series has so many fans, and heck, the humor is really well done. It's just that the more I get older, the less time I have to play, I still wanna get through a campaign, but if I have to keep visiting these extra spots for an hour or so in order to see the next 20mins of story, I feel like my time is wasted, and I could be playing something else.

Actually if you just use the higher lv dungeons and take advantage of the battle system you can gain a fuckton of exp and just blast your way through the standard portion of the game.

Though of course you will need to be at least somewhat of a reasonable level to even damage the higher lv monsters in the higher rank dungeons.

SerTapTap

Actually if you just use the higher lv dungeons and take advantage of the battle system you can gain a fuckton of exp and just blast your way through the standard portion of the game.

Though of course you will need to be at least somewhat of a reasonable level to even damage the higher lv monsters in the higher rank dungeons.

Yeah once you get EX attacks, especially a full gauge, it becomes quite easy to break the game and overlevel pretty quickly. Spamming EX attacks is by far the most viable way to beat most things, and enables you to beat a lot of stuff you really "shouldn't" be able to. This doesn't work very early on though. And honestly all the awkward difficulty spikes are pretty early on.

Parakeetman

Yeah once you get EX attacks, especially a full gauge, it becomes quite easy to break the game and overlevel pretty quickly. Spamming EX attacks is by far the most viable way to beat most things, and enables you to beat a lot of stuff you really "shouldn't" be able to. This doesn't work very early on though. And honestly all the awkward difficulty spikes are pretty early on.

Actually the game was designed to allow the players to do that, which is why it gives the option to be able to unlock the optional high lv dungeons early on.

Great option for those familiar with the game and just want to get through the story again and move onto the other titles in the Vita remake series.

Its similar to the disgaea games in a sense, where you can level yourself pretty quick if you know what you are doing and how to use what the devs allowed you to in the game to your advantage, to kill things that normally should outclass you. Then just keep doing it for insane exp till it evens out where you move onto the next target. Once you have that all set up, you basically just blow through all the story related content at your leisure.

SerTapTap

Its similar to the disgaea games in a sense, where you can level yourself pretty quick if you know what you are doing and how to use what the devs allowed you to in the game to your advantage, to kill things that normally should outclass you. Then just keep doing it for insane exp till it evens out where you move onto the next target. Once you have that all set up, you basically just blow through all the story related content at your leisure.

Eh, Disgaea lets you (roughly) scale up enemies and has ever-increasing challenges and plays quite well despite very uneven progression. In Neptunia once you break out, the story is too easy, and if you do it too early the story is too easy forever, and most of the optional super bosses are extremely dull fights centered around being an extremely high level and spamming EX attacks (like always) because even at level 300 they OHKO one or more characters every turn.

The game plays best in a somewhat tenuous balance where the main story is actually challenging, then in the brief period where you're beating up the regular super bosses but aren't too OP yet, then once you get to the DLC bosses you have to cheese out everything or they're way too difficult. It's a shame, I really enjoy the combat system when the player and bosses are well matched,but it's not always easy to maintain that balance. If only games could pull off "enemies level with you" in a way that works well instead of making it feel like no or negative progress (like TES)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok seriously the controls in Murasaki Baby are getting on my tits. Front touch, rear touch and moving the Vita all at the same time. How fun!

xrnzaaas

Anyone know if Outlast was in one of the recent sales? I didn't get it when it was in PS+ (didn't own a PS4 back then) and I'm wondering if there's a chance that it'll be featured in the second January sale or some other sales.

And is anyone else waiting for Life is Strange? Remember Me was cool and I'll buy anything from the same developer. :)

Number45

Ok seriously the controls in Murasaki Baby are getting on my tits. Front touch, rear touch and moving the Vita all at the same time. How fun!
Reminds me of some of the levels for Escape Plan. I don't know how this gets through testing, unless they feel the finger gymnastics themselves are fun.

Reminds me of some of the levels for Escape Plan. I don't know how this gets through testing, unless they feel the finger gymnastics themselves are fun.

Ugh. Resisting the urge to go on another rant here about Escape Plan. I am going to bottle my hatred for that game and save space on the Internet.

Escape Plan had me dropping me Vita trying to do stuff like that, but I didn't really have any frustration or difficulty with Murasaki Baby. I think it was a combination of not being so demanding + more responsive, and probably just me being extremely comfortable with using the Vita after a few years, compared to when I got Escape Plan around launch.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Totally random question, what does Neptune says before some of her turns?
It sounds something like:" Nepu Nepu ishi ayo"

It reminds me of a similar line in the japanese demo of Neptunia PP that sounded like: "Nepu Nepu Shio"

Too bad english dialogues are incomplete and there's no line that reminds me of the one i'm asking for(it makes me laugh :) )

I don't really like that the game is grindy, i arrived to the fight with
Noire
at level 8 i think(i didn't skip enemies), i needed to grind up to level 13 to beat it and even later it's the same, but i like it tough.

I wonder if there's any chance the game will be localized.

Imo no, IIRC it received bad reviews on Famitsu and probably it bombed.
At this point i would prefer Lost Dimension, i liked the demo, it's a srpg + vote to execute one of your buddies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouf9WLwgz80

SerTapTap

I didn't find it so bad, I only had issues in a couple levels, I think I was just forgetting to let go of the balloon a couple times too. It's not a long game and no one gimmick persists long. For instance, if you're getting annoyed by turning the Vita upside down, I think you're probably already close to the point where that level ends.

It reminds me of a similar line in the japanese demo of Neptunia PP that sounded like: "Nepu Nepu Shio"

Ugh, the Japanese VA does the "nep nep" stuff even in the mainline games? Drives me nuts in PP. More reason to avoid the JP VA even with the minimal coverage of the dub.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ugh, the Japanese VA does the "nep nep" stuff even in the mainline games? Drives me nuts in PP. More reason to avoid the JP VA even with the minimal coverage of the dub.

Yes, almost no one has her own name intact, for example IF is Iffy, but Nep Nep is the one you will hear often.

This reminded me to say that "Compa" in Italian slang means "buddy", it's hilarious because it's fitting and i can totally see Neptune calling people "buddy" in some slang lol.

Flunkie

Banned
It's a great game insanely marred by the load times on battles. Performance really does matter. Mostly unrelated, I'm even more amazed by the fact that Drive Club races load in <10 seconds than I am by the graphics. Because holy crap, something looking like THAT loads in seconds.
DriveClub load times are indeed insane.

Anyone, advice for buying Minecraft? IE the best way?

Btw, the new updates to console mc have made it much much better. Some of the most interesting or aesthetically pleasing blocks were added such as hoppers and stone fences. Strongly recommended.

BraXzy

I got a PS3 for Christmas from my amazing
(she made me put that)
GF to catch up on the last-gen exclusives I missed and can't decide which of my current games to play tonight. I have Journey, but I've decided I'm gonna hold out for the PS4 remaster. Also on the list is the Uncharted trilogy; I'm wondering whether to skip the first one? The Ico and SotC bundle too. Oh and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. I'll have time to play through one. Pick for me GAF!

RK128

(she made me put that)
GF to catch up on the last-gen exclusives I missed and can't decide which of my current games to play tonight. I have Journey, but I've decided I'm gonna hold out for the PS4 remaster. Also on the list is the Uncharted trilogy; I'm wondering whether to skip the first one? The Ico and SotC bundle too. Oh and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. I'll have time to play through one. Pick for me GAF!

A Crack in Time man :D! That game is awesome and if you do not plan to get the HD Collection of the first three PS2 Ratchets, you might as well play one of the best platformers on the PS3 :).

Gaf praises that game for a good reason; great controls, 50-60 FPS gameplay, classic Ratchet weapons (some great new ones; can open a tear in space to get a monster to pull foes in that space), tons to see and collect and some of the best Clank levels in the series :).

Highly recommend you play that game first :D.

SerTapTap

(she made me put that)

Crack in Time IMO, though Uncharted 2 is a gem, and U3 gets far more hate than it deserves. Ico and SotC are great in a somewhat unusual way and will take a lot of getting used to before they feel right, especially SotC (especially on PS3, I'm afraid). Crack In Time is extremely easy to get into and awesome all around.

vra7S0Z.jpg

Loadout - PS4
Loadout is a free to play third person shooter that is has playtypes of deathmatch and horde modes with a visual style similar to Team Fortress with a lot of crass potty humor. There is always two questions on free to play: Can you just play to win? No. You are limited to weapons at your level. In fact for some reason to upgrade your equipment at higher levels it becomes ridiculous to even pay for upgrades to your weapons because prices continue to rise as you level up. Can you play without paying anything? Technically you can just play with the gun types you get on random drops for but most people they want to play with specific types of guns. I wound up just shelling out $5 for the gun type I wanted and then used other drops to upgrade my existing weapon parts. I haven't gotten to where I really need to rely on drops to continue playing with a weapon how I like it but I am not sure how much more I need to play. The modes and maps are limited and adding arbitrary objectives to the standard types doesn't make it any more fun. Losing because you got randomly matched with people who are severely under powered can be frustrating if you really feel you to need progress but it really just will unlock more of the same. Well worth the time to play it and I felt I got a lot of value out of my $5.

7/10

RK128

vra7S0Z.jpg

Loadout - PS4
Loadout is a free to play third person shooter that is has playtypes of deathmatch and horde modes with a visual style similar to Team Fortress with a lot of crass potty humor. There is always two questions on free to play: Can you just play to win? No. You are limited to weapons at your level. In fact for some reason to upgrade your equipment at higher levels it becomes ridiculous to even pay for upgrades to your weapons because prices continue to rise as you level up. Can you play without paying anything? Technically you can just play with the gun types you get on random drops for but most people they want to play with specific types of guns. I wound up just shelling out $5 for the gun type I wanted and then used other drops to upgrade my existing weapon parts. I haven't gotten to where I really need to rely on drops to continue playing with a weapon how I like it but I am not sure how much more I need to play. The modes and maps are limited and adding arbitrary objectives to the standard types doesn't make it any more fun. Losing because you got randomly matched with people who are severely under powered can be frustrating if you really feel you to need progress but it really just will unlock more of the same. Well worth the time to play it and I felt I got a lot of value out of my $5.

7/10

Now that sounds like a fun shooter :D. Will check it out whenever I pick up a PS4 :).

Number45

This is as good a place to ask as any I'm sure.

Those of you who have two PS4s, using a single account - how do you manage the saves? I'd been planning on just making sure I download the latest save before I launch a game (and not swapping between them too quickly, so that saves have the chance to upload), but obviously there's an element of risk there.

Anyone have a better way of doing it? It's basically just going to be for my use, and I don't want to use a second PSN account.

Ugh. Resisting the urge to go on another rant here about Escape Plan. I am going to bottle my hatred for that game and save space on the Internet.
Yup. One of those games I really wanted to love, but ended up hating. It might even have improved with the PS4 version, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to play it again.

yaffi

I'm not 100% sure since I can't hear it clearly, but she might be saying &#12397;&#12407;&#12397;&#12407;&#12395;&#12375;&#12390;&#19978;&#12370;&#12427;&#12424;&#12290; (Nepu Nepu ni shite ageru yo./I'll nep nep you.)

It kinda makes sense, but I'm really not sure about the last part.

Here's a link to what she's saying, if anyone is bored and wants to have a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2bgpkjmlBkc#t=1940

I'm thinking about getting a PSTV but I have some questions.

Both Senran Kagura games are compatible right?

Do they look ok on a big screen tv? I have a 60".

Also do I just have to put in a game and my memory card and sign in to my existing account?

Will that work?

SerTapTap

I'm thinking about getting a PSTV but I have some questions.

Both Senran Kagura games are compatible right?

Do they look ok on a big screen tv? I have a 60".

Also do I just have to put in a game and my memory card and sign in to my existing account?

Will that work?

They look fine. There's aliasing, but I mean, it's the same thing you're getting on your Vita screen. Looks a bit worse on a monitor (they have worse scalers, generally) but still alright considering. People massively exaggerate how poor things look on a big TV/how much a tinyass screen "improves" IQ. Use the 720p output option, 1080i looks terrible and is only there for compatibility I guess. Make sure to turn off Overscan and there's an overscan compensation just like PS4, make sure it fills the screen perfectly.

Note colors are probably going to look a bit different. Both Vita revisions' screens aren't really quite perfect. 1000s are a bit blue, 2000s are a bit yellow.

Yes, set up your account, pop in your memory card and game, good to go. Note only one of the two devices can be set up to auto-upload PS+ saves, and they do not automatically download.

Finished chapter 3 of Neptunia. The game got much easier when you got EXE Drive attacks, didn't really have any troubles during the boss fight. The dialogue is still pretty funny, but there was a disturbing lack of best girl (Noire). But I'm sure she'll turn up again at some point.

SerTapTap

Finished chapter 3 of Neptunia. The game got much easier when you got EXE Drive attacks, didn't really have any troubles during the boss fight. The dialogue is still pretty funny, but there was a disturbing lack of best girl (Noire). But I'm sure she'll turn up again at some point.

Everyone pops in and out until you get everyone. It's a very annoying part of how all 3 games work, especially 1 and Mk2. Hopefully Victory 2 just starts you off with all 4 main characters at the very least.

Parakeetman

Eh, Disgaea lets you (roughly) scale up enemies and has ever-increasing challenges and plays quite well despite very uneven progression. In Neptunia once you break out, the story is too easy, and if you do it too early the story is too easy forever, and most of the optional super bosses are extremely dull fights centered around being an extremely high level and spamming EX attacks (like always) because even at level 300 they OHKO one or more characters every turn.

The game plays best in a somewhat tenuous balance where the main story is actually challenging, then in the brief period where you're beating up the regular super bosses but aren't too OP yet, then once you get to the DLC bosses you have to cheese out everything or they're way too difficult. It's a shame, I really enjoy the combat system when the player and bosses are well matched,but it's not always easy to maintain that balance. If only games could pull off "enemies level with you" in a way that works well instead of making it feel like no or negative progress (like TES)

In Disgaea in general all of the standard story missions are pretty much set in stone for the levels. Its doing the extra a stuff that scales.

As with any JRPG where you can power level yourself quickly story content becomes a joke fast so its nothing new really as story content is never made to scale to the player.

Everyone pops in and out until you get everyone. It's a very annoying part of how all 3 games work, especially 1 and Mk2. Hopefully Victory 2 just starts you off with all 4 main characters at the very least.
Annoying that you have to do that in every game :/

They look fine. There's aliasing, but I mean, it's the same thing you're getting on your Vita screen. Looks a bit worse on a monitor (they have worse scalers, generally) but still alright considering. People massively exaggerate how poor things look on a big TV/how much a tinyass screen "improves" IQ. Use the 720p output option, 1080i looks terrible and is only there for compatibility I guess. Make sure to turn off Overscan and there's an overscan compensation just like PS4, make sure it fills the screen perfectly.

Note colors are probably going to look a bit different. Both Vita revisions' screens aren't really quite perfect. 1000s are a bit blue, 2000s are a bit yellow.

Yes, set up your account, pop in your memory card and game, good to go. Note only one of the two devices can be set up to auto-upload PS+ saves, and they do not automatically download.

Thanks for the info.

I''m looking to forward to seeing all that life on a big screen. :p

Xenoflare

I JUST realized yesterday that Vita has a LBP game.

Got it for $20 in store, I'm not complaining.

Thank god for shopper's drug mart, they have better Vita selections than EB games since no one really buy games there and they still have a handful of older games.

Huh so this is where this thread went. I don't actually post on Gaf much but I thought it was weird that I haven't seen this thread in awhile.

Anyways I just downloaded LoH: Trials in the Sky and was wondering if theres any non spoilery info I should know before jumping in. I've always wanted to try the game and now that Sen no Kiseki might be getting localized I finally got the push I needed to try it.

Hikami

Anyways I just downloaded LoH: Trials in the Sky and was wondering if theres any non spoilery info I should know before jumping in. I've always wanted to try the game and now that Sen no Kiseki might be getting localized I finally got the push I needed to try it.
This is just me but, I kept getting lost a couple of times while playing.
Just open up your Bracer Journal, or whatever its called and go to the current town tab to find out what to do/where to go next. Helps if you ever get lost.

This is just me but, I kept getting lost a couple of times while playing.
Just open up your Bracer Journal, or whatever its called and go to the current town tab to find out what to do/where to go next. Helps if you ever get lost.

Thanks, that's actually good advice for me since I usually get lost in games very easily. Even if it's blatantly obvious where I'm supposed to go next I'll find a way to get lost haha.

kafiend

In Disgaea in general all of the standard story missions are pretty much set in stone for the levels. Its doing the extra a stuff that scales.

As with any JRPG where you can power level yourself quickly story content becomes a joke fast so its nothing new really as story content is never made to scale to the player.

In Disgaea you scale up the story level enemies via passing bills/laws/whatever or via the more convenient Cheat Shop in the newer games. Still a pain in the ass but at least it does the job.

Snagged Borderlands 2 for the vita on the cheap. My love for Destiny, in a way stems from me playing a lot of borderlands. I heard it had its issues, but that since launch, it got ironed out... Time to check for myself.

Snagged Borderlands 2 for the vita on the cheap. My love for Destiny, in a way stems from me playing a lot of borderlands. I heard it had its issues, but that since launch, it got ironed out... Time to check for myself.

It's a little better than it was at launch but it still not great. There's still frequent frame drops but afaik they fixed most of the random crashes the game used to experience. Still a good game if you don't mind jumpy frame rates in your games.

Maedhros

Finished Rock Boshers. It's pretty good, if the native version ever goes on sale I'll get it

Did you noticed that if you finish the levels on a certain time, the time gets other color?

I asked the developer if getting all the levels with this would get a secret ending or something.

Unfortunately... nothing. But he said that it would have an update with a secret ending... then we get this native version. I hope there is one this time.

Top Bottom