• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Producer

Looking forward to project mirai dx.

and fucking NoA lol whatever i guess it made my choice easier.

brandish, ayesha plus, la mulana, then n3DS with monhun4 all within a month damn

RK128

Shout outs to SCEA, my least favourite console manufacturer branch no more.

how are you even awake

Let me guess, it is about the stupid decisions about the N3DS, right NormalFish :(? It really sucks too, I would have considered putting my 2DS toward the MM bundle....but it doesn't even include the game pre-installed and I would have to re-buy the power charger X(.

....Oh well, if you still have your 3DS, you can still play MM3D on it and if you own the 3DS/3DS XL you can just use the circle pad pro for all the features the C-Stick on the N3DS provides (if you own one that is...).

Sorry that I'm talking about the 3DS here but Nintendo's plans for the N3DS reival stupidly levels of Sony (and that is an accomplishment)...

Let me guess, it is about the stupid decisions about the N3DS, right NormalFish :(? It really sucks too, I would have considered putting my 2DS toward the MM bundle....but it doesn't even include the game pre-installed and I would have to re-buy the power charger X(.

....Oh well, if you still have your 3DS, you can still play MM3D on it and if you own the 3DS/3DS XL you can just use the circle pad pro for all the features the C-Stick on the N3DS provides (if you own one that is...).

Sorry that I'm talking about the 3DS here but Nintendo's plans for the N3DS reival stupidly levels of Sony (and that is an accomplishment)...

Yup. Pretty frustrated. On the bright side, I'm saving money now for more vita games.

autoduelist

I too gotta agree with the $20 price tag being a bit too much for this game. Don't get me wrong it must be a great game, but I just can't see myself putting $20 into a PSP game... The price was what stopped me from getting it too.

I try to limit myself to $10 price point for PSP games too. I think I made an exception a couple times (Elminage cost $15 iirc). But... yeah. First $10 sale, it's mine.

I try to avoid too many JRPGs (and WRPGs really) these days because of the time investment. Then again I recently got sucked into Freedom Wars and Binding of Isaac so I haven't really been great at avoiding stuff like that. But I try to play a variety of games over getting stuck in one for months

Wait, what? BoI isn't an RPG.

Well... It's been great, guys. See you all in another life.

You know, I thought that might happen to me when I bought an XL. It didn't. It was -so- hard playing a 3ds coming from a Vita, I just couldn't stick with it. And every time I did pick it up with the earnest desire to give it a shot, the battery was drained. So... maybe you'll be back sooner than you think. (or maybe not). I ended up selling it. I still wish I could play some of the games (Etrian, etc), but the device just got in the way.

ZeroAKA

You know, I thought that might happen to me when I bought an XL. It didn't. It was -so- hard playing a 3ds coming from a Vita, I just couldn't stick with it. And every time I did pick it up with the earnest desire to give it a shot, the battery was drained. So... maybe you'll be back sooner than you think. (or maybe not). I ended up selling it. I still wish I could play some of the games (Etrian, etc), but the device just got in the way.
I'll continue playing my Vita on a regular basis. I bought the 3DS purely for Pokemon and Miku, so I know exactly what I'm getting into.

Producer

i have no problems switching between 3ds and vita, i even play my psp sometimes too.

the battery life on standby isn't as good but...just charge your system regularly? lol. missing out on alot of games, the vita/3ds combo is great

I play PS4, PSV and 3DS. I give all 3 the same amount of care and love, each system gives me different stuff to play. I play games, I don't care on which platform they are :p Since MH is on 3DS that is where I'll play it.

SerTapTap

an endless tunnel of time-draining, soul-sucking hell

I have almost 300 hours in Pokemon y (and a full living pokedex ), still play my other consoles plenty. Played it much less in 2014 though. Hasn't offered me that much recently. I couldn't stand being a "one console" or even one platform gamer

daydream

Banned

You know you can enjoy several systems (both handhelds and consoles even!) concurrently, right?

an endless tunnel of time-draining, soul-sucking hell

But why subject yourself to hell?

RK128

What did the new System Update 3.36 do?

I think it is for blocking the bubble system exploit; it allowed your to directly load PSP ISO's through I think tricking the Vita somehow :l.

I thought it was for PS Now support on Vita (to activate the subscription service on the Vita without doing so through the PS4 app....still don't get why it wasn't a purchasable thing on PSN like PS+ is :l...), but nope, it was to block support or the bubble exploit.

bobohoro

Only read this now. I am down for this.

Excellent, I guess there will be a few more once the release date draws near. As a purely offline hunter (with several hundreds of hours of experience though) I'm really looking forward to finally get some group hunting going. :D

I'm finishing up Crimson Shroud right now and am deciding on what will be my last bigger handheld game before MH hits. On the one hand I'd like to get into Aysha+, but I feel that it'll be on sale in a few months already, when I'm eventually done with MH. Then there is Rune Factory 4, which is 10€ cheaper, Nintendo doesn't do sales that often and I have some unused credit for the e-shop lying around. Shame Brandish doesn't release this week in EU, would likely be 15-20€ and would have the other two beat for me. :/

I'm open for opinions. Even if logic favours RF4, I'm really pretty much torn right in the middle and could use some swaying advice, especially if someone happens to have played both a bit.

autoduelist

Mind Zero does not deserve the hate it gets. Not even close. It's not some mindblowingly original DRPG, but neither is Demon Gaze, which gets praised like crazy (by me too, I really enjoyed it). Combat has some interesting mechanics (sort of like a crossbreed of the 'summons' of Demon Gaze and the 'alternate' yous of, say, Digital Devil Saga, except where there was never -any- reason to use your human form in DDS, MZ has a system in place that forces you to if you run out of MP.

Basically, while in demon form your HP is safe, but damage hits your MP (there is also a slight drain every turn whether you get hit or not). When you're low on MP, you need to switch back to human form to recharge, but this puts your HP at risk.

You can switch back and forth with no penalty, but IF you let your MP hit zero while in Demon form you'll lose a few turns as 'broken' while you recuperate.

This works really well... DDS had no such system, so despite there being a whole human combat system built (guns and everything!) there was absolutely no reason to fight as anything other than a demon. Here, the system adds a real nice layer of tactical decisions as you'll need to decide, for example, if you should 'take one more swing' at 20% MP, risking getting broken, or switch back to human and defend, or perhaps use an item, etc.

The game does look/feel a bit like Persona, and obviously cops a bit from it ('doors' to another world rather than 'tvs'), but... whatever? And it (thankfully) doesn't have social links, which is a huge plus in my book.

To be clear - I don't play DRPGs for the story, and actively dislike social link systems. The story and characters in this game seem serviceable - they certainly aren't hurt your head terrible like, say, Monster Monpiece. I also don't care much about graphics; I've been playing DRPGS since Ultima/Bard's Tale/Wizardry etc, and this blows all of them out of the water graphics wise. Everything looks great to me - certainly nothing I'd get upset about.

As a dungeon crawler, it doesn't particularly innovate (few do) but it does have an interesting take on the mechanics of summoning that I not only appreciate but really feel adds some tactics. Dungeons are hand crafted, for those that care about that sort of thing (I don't mind randomized dungeons as long as they do a better job with it than the soulless Persona ones).

It very much scratches the DRPG itch platinuming Demon Gaze left me with, something that Persona games can't do. As such, I can definitely recommend it to likeminded people. If you're looking for another Persona, then yeah, it's not that. If you want to crawl another dungeon after Demon Gaze, it's worth getting on sale. Definitely not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, even if not 'amazing' either.

i have no problems switching between 3ds and vita, i even play my psp sometimes too.

the battery life on standby isn't as good but...just charge your system regularly? lol. missing out on alot of games, the vita/3ds combo is great

Sure, but by the time it charged I was on to other games -- that was my point. I have a massive gog/steam/ps4/ps3/vita/psp/ps1 backlog, I can afford to miss out on a few games if I don't like the delivery system.

You know you can enjoy several systems (both handhelds and consoles even!) concurrently, right?

I just clearly stated why I can't. I rebought all my psp games on my vita's account (i had been buying on a psp specific account for no good reason) for the same reason -- I hate going back to my psp. I'm not anti-nintendo, I just don't like the specific device when coming from a vita, for the same reason I now can no longer play my perfectly good psp and instead spent the money to rebuy everything. The benefits of playing games on my vita beats out psp, 3ds, and ios for me.

I'm not attacking the 3ds, I'm just saying I was incapable of switching to it from my vita despite there being some games I wanted to play. I gave it the old college try, it just wasn't for me. I don't bother turning on my ps3 either. We have limited time, some things get left behind. It doesn't mean my ps3 suddenly sucks, or my psp suddenly sucks, nor did it mean the 3ds did. It just means... it's not for me.

Shizuka

Mind Zero does not deserve the hate it gets. Not even close. It's not some mindblowingly original DRPG, but neither is Demon Gaze, which gets praised like crazy (by me too, I really enjoyed it). Combat has some interesting mechanics (sort of like a crossbreed of the 'summons' of Demon Gaze and the 'alternate' yous of, say, Digital Devil Saga, except where there was never -any- reason to use your human form in DDS, MZ has a system in place that forces you to if you run out of MP.

Basically, while in demon form your HP is safe, but damage hits your MP (there is also a slight drain every turn whether you get hit or not). When you're low on MP, you need to switch back to human form to recharge, but this puts your HP at risk.

You can switch back and forth with no penalty, but IF you let your MP hit zero while in Demon form you'll lose a few turns as 'broken' while you recuperate.

This works really well... DDS had no such system, so despite there being a whole human combat system built (guns and everything!) there was absolutely no reason to fight as anything other than a demon. Here, the system adds a real nice layer of tactical decisions as you'll need to decide, for example, if you should 'take one more swing' at 20% MP, risking getting broken, or switch back to human and defend, or perhaps use an item, etc.

The game does look/feel a bit like Persona, and obviously cops a bit from it ('doors' to another world rather than 'tvs'), but... whatever? And it (thankfully) doesn't have social links, which is a huge plus in my book.

To be clear - I don't play DRPGs for the story, and actively dislike social link systems. The story and characters in this game seem serviceable - they certainly aren't hurt your head terrible like, say, Monster Monpiece. I also don't care much about graphics; I've been playing DRPGS since Ultima/Bard's Tale/Wizardry etc, and this blows all of them out of the water graphics wise. Everything looks great to me - certainly nothing I'd get upset about.

As a dungeon crawler, it doesn't particularly innovate (few do) but it does have an interesting take on the mechanics of summoning that I not only appreciate but really feel adds some tactics. Dungeons are hand crafted, for those that care about that sort of thing (I don't mind randomized dungeons as long as they do a better job with it than the soulless Persona ones).

It very much scratches the DRPG itch platinuming Demon Gaze left me with, something that Persona games can't do. As such, I can definitely recommend it to likeminded people. If you're looking for another Persona, then yeah, it's not that. If you want to crawl another dungeon after Demon Gaze, it's worth getting on sale. Definitely not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, even if not 'amazing' either.

Finally, I won't be the only one called the one with shitty taste by Parakeetman anymore. I hope more people can believe me now, since I'm no longer the only one.

batrush

I

Same thoughts here. I reluctantly dug up my XL for Persona Q, but quickly retired it again. I can't stand the machine at all.

SerTapTap

Then again if some characters like CC2 don't make it to the PC version I'll want that version less. I like their "guest" characters but with them coming in and out all the time it's kind of a pain. No more Cave, for instance

Excellent, I guess there will be a few more once the release date draws near. As a purely offline hunter (with several hundreds of hours of experience though) I'm really looking forward to finally get some group hunting going. :D

I'm finishing up Crimson Shroud right now and am deciding on what will be my last bigger handheld game before MH hits. On the one hand I'd like to get into Aysha+, but I feel that it'll be on sale in a few months already, when I'm eventually done with MH. Then there is Rune Factory 4, which is 10€ cheaper, Nintendo doesn't do sales that often and I have some unused credit for the e-shop lying around. Shame Brandish doesn't release this week in EU, would likely be 15-20€ and would have the other two beat for me. :/

I'm open for opinions. Even if logic favours RF4, I'm really pretty much torn right in the middle and could use some swaying advice, especially if someone happens to have played both a bit.

Idk about 4 and I want to keep this brief since this is a conversation for a 3DS/MH4U thread, but generally speaking, you will have to do a lot of soloing at first before you go do Multiplayer. Again, they could have changed it, but usually, first you go through the campaign which serves as a lengthy tutorial and way of gathering some important items. End game is when the real deal comes in aha. But since the demos are rolling out tmrw, if any US folks get them (me included) make sure to post a shout out here, since usually the demos give you some pretty decent gear, and this one even lets you play with people online too. All weapon types are also available, so you can pretty much experiment until you find something you are comfortable with.

Why did this game have to move to the 3DS. Capcpom y u so mean

Top Bottom