• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

The Fat Princess game was surprisingly good on the iOS. Maybe I'm lenient on it because I like the IP, but it was at least worth the time I spent to get the free PS3 game.

Yeah I was surprised by how good it is and I dislike the IP. The way they used the IP is very clever at it really changes up the match 3 genre. Now more interested in the other Fat Princess 4 player co-op game that is supposed to come out.

Where is Sackboy Run for Vita? I don't understand how these mobile games get published by Sony before the Vita.

antibolo

Banned
Re: EDF V2

Now that we know that Xseed is now localizing a Oneechanbara game, I think it's safe to assume that D3 Publisher will no longer localize their own games anymore.

So if you want EDF V2 you better hope that Xseed or someone else will pick it up.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Convince me on TitS.
Fair warning, when it comes to JRPG's I only really like playing the great ones or the ones that I already wanted to play, so really having to convince me in the first place put me against the odds. I get really sour when I play anything less than great. How it works for me JRPG ratings wise is Crap > Mediocre > Fantastic. I've never finished an "okay" jrpg and I don't think I'll be able to start now. Why is it your favorite thing ever?

Producer

just got Ayesha Plus and Brandish.
think im good on new vita releases for several weeks

but damn paying full price for a digital game always stings a bit

nampad

Amy opinions on what's better - Driveclub or NFS: Rivals?

What type of game do you want? PGR style (somewhere between arcade and simulation) parcour racing or arcade open world street racing?

I have NFS: Rivals at launch with like 7 other games and it was the first game I finished on PS4. The racer campaign was really fun.
I have Driveclub since release and barely played it (though the release problems and my time schedule are partly to blame). You might argue it is the better game because it does its style of racing game really well but in the end I think you can't compare both racing games.

I had more fun with NFS: Rivals so far.

Tizoc

Convince me on TitS.
Fair warning, when it comes to JRPG's I only really like playing the great ones or the ones that I already wanted to play, so really having to convince me in the first place put me against the odds. I get really sour when I play anything less than great. How it works for me JRPG ratings wise is Crap > Mediocre > Fantastic. I've never finished an "okay" jrpg and I don't think I'll be able to start now. Why is it your favorite thing ever?
It has a good story, buy it.

Xenoflare

Convince me on TitS.

Trails in the Sky is one of those games that are a bit plain but extremely well crafted, and the game is well paced, and it has a story that always that got me hooked while not being obnoxious (This is a problem for SC since the game is nearly twice as long as the first one), and I am very glad that I played it.

I played the entire trilogy, and it was really worth it. Falcom's writing really beats the other bigger JRPGs I played by a sizable margin, I loved the fact that every single NPC you encountered are their own characters, and not just fillers.

It's especially brilliant that even the random people you encounter on the streets are their own characters, provided if you played all three games.

PS: SC is really big for a PSP game. I remember it being over 2GB and it's one of the few PSP games that requires 2 UMDs, the other being Type 0

Renpatsu

It's actually quite depressing just how well written the characters are in Trials in the Sky compared to characters in other JRPGs. What TitS games lack in the spectacle of sheer production values they more than make up in substance.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It has a good story, buy it.
Trails in the Sky is one of those games that are a bit plain but extremely well crafted, and the game is well paced, and it has a story that always that got me hooked while not being obnoxious (This is a problem for SC since the game is nearly twice as long as the first one), and I am very glad that I played it.
I played the entire trilogy, and it was really worth it. Falcom's writing really beats the other bigger JRPGs I played by a sizable margin, I loved the fact that every single NPC you encountered are their own characters, and not just fillers.
It's especially brilliant that even the random people you encounter on the streets are their own characters, provided if you played all three games.
PS: SC is really big for a PSP game. I remember it being over 2GB and it's one of the few PSP games that requires 2 UMDs, the other being Type 0
Lovable characters or large epic? And how wordy is the story?

Actually, how bad is the cliffhanger? I'm not learning Japanese just to play the series. I still have P2 unplayed because it was actually a duology and I didn't know that before buying.

Actually, how bad is the cliffhanger? I'm not learning Japanese just to play the series. I still have P2 unplayed because it was actually a duology and I didn't know that before buying.

A lot of words. It starts out slow, but it gets better midway and then before you know it, you're hooked.

My lips are sealed on second question. You'll just have to find out by playing it!

antibolo

Banned
I'm still on chapter one of Trails in the Sky, and my mind is already blown at how much care has been given in the dialogue. In the first town everybody has a different thing to say depending on your current progress in the main quests. There's also a bunch of instances where someone will reference a totally optional minor event, for no reason other than just making the dialogue feel more real.

Now I totally understand why Xseed is taking forever to localize the following game. (And apparently it's also twice as big, yikes!!)

Xenoflare

You are asking questions that would be considered spoilers, so unless you really want to know we are not going to say anything. Trails does a much better job in story telling in terms of not overwhelming the player compared to Tales of in my opinion, and while on it, I don't consider it to be an epic.

And god get back to Persona 2, or just watch the damn thing on YouTube or something since the gameplay did not age well. Technically both games are out since EP has a PS1 release and IS is on PSP.

Now I totally understand why Xseed is taking forever to localize the following game. (And apparently it's also twice as big, yikes!!)

It is twice as big for me, both in play time and chapter length. It's the strength and weakness of SC. It's a much bigger game than the first one.

The 3rd has my favorite music since FalcomJDK is behind it, so the music is much more Ys-like, both Oath in Felghana and Origins

I am totally not sorry for hyping them up for English only speakers it's just that good. I got hooked in 2006 and until 2009 the majority of games I played are from Falcom

bobohoro

Convince me on TitS.

I'm playing video games since 20 years, probably 18 of those having RPGs as my favourite genre, and TiTS is at the top of my greatest hits, together with Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Persona 4 Golden, Nocturne, Lufia II and Final Fantasy VII. And that is without having played any other game in the series, since I too have no japanese languaga skills.

Given that perspective, I recommend the game to anyone without reservations, but with a few warnings. Take your time. It's not a game to be rushed, the enjoyment does not come from becoming uber-strong, reaching the conclusion or getting to post-game, it's the journey, the character interactions and world building that make the game special. Talking to the many interesting NPCs, looking around for stuff and carefully reading/following the plot is advised. So if you feel like you are not in the mood for a heavy focus on slow paced exposition, don't force it.

autoduelist

Convince me on TitS.

It's got a nice combat systemif that matters to you. It's more of a Arc the Lad style combat (if that means nothing to you, then think Rainbow Moon or Disgaea) where you move around in a combat zone and your various weapons/spells have range/aoe/etc.

jzbluz

Reminds me that I left TitS in the basket; I should probably buy it before I forget it like with what happened with CP.

I think D3 US has been releasing otome games for mobile. Or is that a different D3?

Flunkie

Banned
My issue is more the time to play them all, I am getting a degree and that takes quite a bit of my personal time. Social gatherings, work, girlfriend... And now our little podcast :p I know it will sound ridiculous to those on the outside but I'm sure a lot of you can relate, it drains me having so much to play. I mean there is an easy answer to the problem, to just stop buying all those games. But when you are a core gamer, there are things that you just can't miss, and when they are all grouped up together and you have the money lined up in your bank account, it's hard to stop the train.
I relate 100% to this post.

Convince me on TitS.

Everyone loves TiTS, its all about that Life
(hometown people get out).
See, TiTS is a game of immersion, a relic from the times in which graphics weren't as advanced. The devs wanted a game that would grab you fully, one in which you could talk to every single NPC and just like in real life, have them say something different about the current day, rather than just speaking the same thing throughout the game. In order to do this, since graphics weren't as advanced back then, they gave a lot of care into the script, and this might be one of the most complex, beautifully written stories in the world of gaming (one that is incomplete mind you, good thing that the sequel is coming, now it is high time to get into this world).

Now combine a beautiful story both in content and complexity, with one of the funniest gameplay systems to come to a PSP game. That is TiTS. This is why you'll love TiTS.

Xenoflare

Hm? All Falcom music is composed by the Falcom sound team jdk including TitS FC and SC.

Oops, I meant the JDK band, the style of the band are much more punchy, but you are right, they are all the same.

and according to the Japanese Wikipedia, the mistakes are common.

I never knew the JDK was actually the name of the sound team as well, all those years mang.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.D.K.BAND

There is a style shift in music in SC and 3rd compared to FC though...

Shinriji

About Trails, I already have 3 hours of game. The game starts REALLY slow and the battle system is fairly simple at the moment. Not feeling the protag duo as well. My favourite RPG ever is Xenogears, so I'm used to long, complex, prolix stories, but by now Trails didn't grab me like XG.

Zhao_Yun

Oops, I meant the JDK band, the style of the band are much more punchy, but you are right, they are all the same.

and according to the Japanese Wikipedia, the mistakes are common.

I never knew the JDK was actually the name of the sound team as well, all those years mang.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.D.K.BAND

I need someone who's better versed in Japanese to explain to me the actual difference, but it seems like the sound team and the band are rather separate entities.

Well, the Falcom sound team jdk consists of many individuals and not everyone of them is contributing to each soundtrack they compose, but they choose to credit it to the whole sound team instead of to individual composers.
The JDK Band is the band which plays arranged versions of Falcom songs live on stage during concerts. The members are not part of the actual Sound Team and they are therefore not involved in composing the soundtracks at all IIRC.

There is a style shift in music in SC and 3rd compared to FC though...

Yeah, I did some research on vgmdb and according to them they switched the composer composition of FC is different to SC and 3rd.
FC: Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Wataru Ishibashi, Takahide Murayama)
SC & 3rd: Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita)

Unisuga also contributed to Ys Origin, Ys Seven and Ys: MoC so the shift to a more Ys-like style isn't surprising.

Xenoflare

Well, the Falcom sound team jdk consists of many individuals and not everyone of them is contributing to each soundtrack they compose, but they choose to credit it to the whole sound team instead of to individual composers.
The JDK Band is the band which plays arranged versions of Falcom songs live on stage during concerts. The members are not part of the actual Sound Team and they are therefore not involved in composing the soundtracks at all IIRC.

Yeah, I did some research on vgmdb and according to them they switched the composer composition of FC is different to SC and 3rd.
FC: Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Wataru Ishibashi, Takahide Murayama)
SC & 3rd: Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita)

Unisuga also contributed to Ys Origin, Ys Seven and Ys: MoC so the shift to a more Ys-like style isn't surprising.

Yeah, since SC still retained a lot of music from FC the style change wasn't as appreant when compared to the 3rd, but the change is definitely there.

Thanks for clearing that up, cheers.

nampad

About Trails, I already have 3 hours of game. The game starts REALLY slow and the battle system is fairly simple at the moment. Not feeling the protag duo as well. My favourite RPG ever is Xenogears, so I'm used to long, complex, prolix stories, but by now Trails didn't grab me like XG.

I have to agree. Didn't get hooked after a few hours and so the game was backlogged.

Yaari

MTN9Z5S.jpg

First post here.

My Vita 2000 just arrived. Put it on and the screen does not bother me at all compared to the OLED so that's good. Can't wait to use it and see if it feels much improved.

And have been waiting nearly a month for P4:G to arrive now. Sigh.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sadly no...atm, maybe it'll go up next week? Unless you want the Vita ver. just grab it off US PSN, which reminds me

PS4 and US PSVita GAF, one of the most well regarded adventure games of the past 20 years is now available for pre-order, get in on dat ish
Webstore link
Done ordered. Didn't see any sign off the bonus PS4 theme, which was disappointing.

Xenoflare

PS4? There goes another Sony handheld exclusive.

Oh it's getting a physical release in EU for both formats?

What are the chances for NA to follow suit and release a physical version here?

And releasing it on the ps4 is almost inevitable. The vita is a lost cause to the public, as painful as it sounds.

Edit: Ugh wrong quote too lazy to fix

Edit2: oh cool NA would do the same

SerTapTap

Tokiden for the west? TBH all I'm interested in is that hopefully that means they'll consider a PSV+4 Freedom Wars sequel/whatever. How does Tokiden play compared to Soul Sac? SS was at first the only hunting game I liked (unless you count Mercenary Kings), but now I like Freedom Wars, but man, all of them seem to have major flaws even when I like them.

Augh, wish I had one of these. I think the O/X thing would drive me nuts though. I just got a regular piano black

(hometown people get out).

Blocked and reported

If PS4/Vita dual releases make Vita games more likely I don't see the problem. I care less about exclusives and more about good games.

But them listwarz tho

Sarcasm

Suddenly everyone on GAF is interested in Toukiden.

I still haven't finished the first game but I loved what I played. I assume if like most G versions it includes the first game and the new stuff so I might wait 'til it's out to finish it.

Never heard of this..is it like MH?

Shinriji

Suddenly everyone on GAF is interested in Toukiden.

I still haven't finished the first game but I loved what I played. I assume if like most G versions it includes the first game and the new stuff so I might wait 'til it's out to finish it.

Found Toukiden slow and boring as hell. Bottom tier of the hunting games, near Ragnarok Odyssey.

Xenoflare

Found Toukiden slow and boring as hell. Bottom tier of the hunting games, near Ragnarok Odyssey.

Hey now even though I didn't finish both games but Toukiden is miles ahead of Ragnorok.

I might pick it up again just because of it being a physical release, and since the New regular 3ds isn't coming to NA, I should be okay with budgeting for this "unexpected" purchase

Xenoflare

Ragnarok Odyssey feels like what would happen if Gameloft made a hunting game.

*mic drop*

Seriously it's one of the games I regret purchasing. I even rank it lower than Book of Memories, at least I got that on a clearance sale.

It's more like Monster Hunter, that's why I also feel like you and think it is slow and boring.
Soul Sacrifice is the best I have played of the genre so far.

Word, I hated MH, and I remember I was legitimately confused about it's massive popularity.

SS is really fast paced, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Delta just made it even better.

nampad

It's more like Monster Hunter, that's why I also feel like you and think it is slow and boring.
Soul Sacrifice is the best I have played of the genre so far.

Top Bottom