• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Xenoflare

I was so excited for it too. Kind of surprised XSEED even brought the expansion over here.

I should have saved the money and bought YS MoC instead of RO Ace, $5 cheaper, 1/3 of the size and I knew I would like it much better.

Not going to lie I actually skipped MoC due to the fact that I hated the art style of the characters. I'm still one of the people who refuse to move on from OoF/YS6 era

Tizoc

I should have saved the money and bought YS MoC instead of RO Ace, $5 cheaper, 1/3 of the size and I knew I would like it much better.

Not going to lie I actually skipped MoC due to the fact that I hated the art style of the characters. I'm still one of the people who refuse to move on from OoF/YS6 era

Eh I'll give you the first female character that joins you could've dressed better but I opened up to her character rather quickly.
Just wish XSEED would apply the last update patch that JP/Asia PSN got for the game that improved performance.

So if I wanted something like MH..what do I get?
Toukiden. Vita's other hunting games, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars, are pretty different from MH. If you've played MH, Toukiden will feel very familiar.

Toukiden has a story so it already has more singleplayer content than MH, too. It's a bit of a looker as well.

Xenoflare

Eh I'll give you the first female character that joins you could've dressed better but I opened up to her character rather quickly.
Just wish XSEED would apply the last update patch that JP/Asia PSN got for the game that improved performance.

What's the difference in release dates between the Japanese and Western release? There might be a chance where the said patch is already in there. If Warrior Orochi 3U is any indication, since for that game the 1.00 for NA is 1.04 in Japan I believe.

Maid

Banned
Eh. I like Toukiden, Soul Sac and Freedom Wars.

Now I hope people on the PS4 will actually buy the game and not just all talk.

Redhood

Pfft it is known that most of them are all talk. most will only pick it up when its on sale.

The thread is already a mess for port begging other games.

Xenoflare

Ultimately the Vita version will still be the majority. Only enthusiasts would know it's existence, especially with a Foreign name.

When I tried to hunt down a copy the BB clerk was so confused that I actually decided to punch in the name for her on her terminal

SerTapTap

Thread seems to be mostly genuine excitement as opposed to the "why isn't it on ps4 wa wa wa", hopefully it sells decent enough. I wonder if hunting on PS4 has more impact in the west than hunting on Vita in Japan, relatively speaking? Handhelds aren't big here either way.

It'd be interesting if all the PS4 hunting games made Capcom consider actually putting MH back on console too. I'm happy without it, but it seems weird to not release a version with proper controls.

Ultimately the Vita version will still be the majority. Only enthusiasts would know it's existence, especially with a Foreign name.

When I tried to hunt down a copy the BB clerk was so confused that I actually decided to punch in the name for her on her terminal

More reason to shop online.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MTN9Z5S.jpg

First post here.

My Vita 2000 just arrived. Put it on and the screen does not bother me at all compared to the OLED so that's good. Can't wait to use it and see if it feels much improved.

And have been waiting nearly a month for P4:G to arrive now. Sigh.

Lovely pickup.
Where did you get yours from?

Xenoflare

Thread seems to be mostly genuine excitement as opposed to the "why isn't it on ps4 wa wa wa", hopefully it sells decent enough. I wonder if hunting on PS4 has more impact in the west than hunting on Vita in Japan, relatively speaking? Handhelds aren't big here either way.

It'd be interesting if all the PS4 hunting games made Capcom consider actually putting MH back on console too. I'm happy without it, but it seems weird to not release a version with proper controls.

Didn't Capcom and Nintendo struck an exclusivity deal? Or is it just for MH4?

Generally speaking I don't think we'll see another proper MH game outside of Nintendo platforms for a while

SerTapTap

Did they? I figured Capcom was just lazy and wanted to put it on the most popular platform, plus the 3DS hides that they're still making low poly low res stuff, even on Wii U MH3U is shocking. Plus isn't Frontier G coming to everything under the sun?

Xenoflare

Did they? I figured Capcom was just lazy and wanted to put it on the most popular platform, plus the 3DS hides that they're still making low poly low res stuff, even on Wii U MH3U is shocking. Plus isn't Frontier G coming to everything under the sun?

Frontier G isn't really a proper MH game though.....

Shinriji

.It'd be interesting if all the PS4 hunting games made Capcom consider actually putting MH back on console too. I'm happy without it, but it seems weird to not release a version with proper controls..

Well, they are hinting since last year that MH franchise will "start anew" in 2015.

Yaari

Lovely pickup.
Where did you get yours from?

I used ZenMarket to have one shipped to me. This one came from Yahoo Auctions.
It wasn't that much more expensive but EMS and Customs ruined me. I should have went with the cheaper shipping method, lol.

There is supposedly a pouch with it as well, but it wasn't included. I'll try to get that from the seller, but if it does not work out then I will get over it. I don't care too much.

Maid

Banned

Why would you want to play F2P hunting shit anyway.

I really think Nintendo strike the deal with Capcom. It's hard to believe Sony wouldn't want MH on the Vita, while collab thing like "Deep Down" (does it still alive?).

Sarcasm

There was one a few days ago, stability update as always.
Yet I bought and downloaded a game in the last day..lol

Toukiden. Vita's other hunting games, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars, are pretty different from MH. If you've played MH, Toukiden will feel very familiar.

Toukiden has a story so it already has more singleplayer content than MH, too. It's a bit of a looker as well.

Toukiden is by far the closest to MH on Vita.

The game is 40 bucks Oo

Man PC gaming has made me cheap

Oh god if only MonHun was on Vita. Toukiden was nice, but it just isn't the same... YET. This iteration seems to bring a lot of upgrades and refines the gameplay, but MH has years and years of tried and true mechanics. Maybe Toukiden will reach those heights one day, hopefully it sticks around.

SerTapTap

Why would you want to play F2P hunting shit anyway.

I really think Nintendo strike the deal with Capcom. It's hard to believe Sony wouldn't want MH on the Vita, while collab thing like "Deep Down" (does it still alive?).

Oh it's F2P? Didn't know, not really into monster hunter. Bought MH3U on Wii U for $20 and was still disappointed. Only really interested in the series for how it drives the Japanese market. I basically think of it as Japanese Call of Duty

Who knows about the business deals though. Sony seems increasingly friendly with Capcom, maybe they'll at least buy a ps4 port or something when Nintendo's contract, if any, is up.

Xenoflare

I just hope this game is $45 and not $50 or $55 in Canada, our dollar's been falling so hard that we probably would get $75 games by the end of the year.

Obligatory acknowledgement to Europe and Australia. Yes I know you pay alot too.

Maid

Banned
Oh it's F2P? Didn't know, not really into monster hunter. Bought MH3U on Wii U for $20 and was still disappointed. Only really interested in the series for how it drives the Japanese market. I basically think of it as Japanese Call of Duty

Honestly it's weird to say this, but the reason it's popular because it's hard. It's the game where you can see pretty clear the difference between the unskilled one and the pro, and the satisfaction you gain from defeat the tough one without dying. I used to love the game a lot, and even poured 300 hours into MHFU. Then God Eater and Soul Sacrifice took me away from MH.

Tried Toukiden Kiwami demo in JP, and I could say I'll like the game.

SerTapTap

Honestly it's weird to say this, but the reason it's popular because it's hard. It's the game where you can see pretty clear the difference between the unskilled one and the pro, and the satisfaction you gain from defeat the tough one without dying. I used to love the game a lot, and even poured 300 hours into MHFU. Then God Eater and Soul Sacrifice took me away from MH.

Tried Toukiden Kiwami demo in JP, and I could say I'll like the game.

Call of Duty is certainly "hard" too at a competetive level, was more commenting on the popularity, annual release schedule and minor iterations than the difficulty or anything.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh god if only MonHun was on Vita. Toukiden was nice, but it just isn't the same... YET. This iteration seems to bring a lot of upgrades and refines the gameplay, but MH has years and years of tried and true mechanics. Maybe Toukiden will reach those heights one day, hopefully it sticks around.

Toukiden is one of the few titles that actually did a decent job to start with. As the move set was interesting for the existing weapons and the added 3 are actually quite good. It helps too that Koei itself is pretty used to action titles and has a lot of experience with more strange attack animations from the Warriors series. Its what allowed them to make the Kusarigama weapon actually work in a hunting title.

For a first real start into the series Id say they did a good job. Am sure that they will be doing a Toukiden 2 in the future which I would imagine being on the PSV / PS4. This project for the PS4 version should be good practice for them too.

Xenoflare

Toukiden is one of the few titles that actually did a decent job to start with. As the move set was interesting for the existing weapons and the added 3 are actually quite good. It helps too that Koei itself is pretty used to action titles and has a lot of experience with more strange attack animations from the Warriors series. Its what allowed them to make the Kusarigama weapon actually work in a hunting title.

For a first real start into the series Id say they did a good job. Am sure that they will be doing a Toukiden 2 in the future which I would imagine being on the PSV / PS4. This project for the PS4 version should be good practice for them too.

Yeah, I kept hearing from people that Toukiden is a very decent base, and since the expansion is out, it should be better

Parakeet, which do you prefer? I know Japan loves MH so it'd be interesting to hear an opinion from someone that lives there. I had a ton of fun with Vanilla, but I did not put half of the amount of hours that I put into something like MH3U for example. What they did is really good though, and for those who don't have a 3DS, or want to play on their Vitas, you can't go wrong with this one.

Also we had this conversation a few pages back, I remember you mentioning Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters for the vita, it is coming out soon here and it got a webpage. This one any good?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Parakeet, which do you prefer? I know Japan loves MH so it'd be interesting to hear an opinion from someone that lives there. I had a ton of fun with Vanilla, but I did not put half of the amount of hours that I put into something like MH3U for example. What they did is really good though, and for those who don't have a 3DS, or want to play on their Vitas, you can't go wrong with this one.

Also we had this conversation a few pages back, I remember you mentioning Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters for the vita, it is coming out soon here and it got a webpage. This one any good?

While Toukiden is good, it does not offer me the same challenge as MH. But as you yourself stated a lot of that is the general fine tuning the series went through over its 10 year period.

Ive been with Monster Hunter from the very start and survived the hardest versions which would be Dos (2) and Frontier. So with that being said the portable versions are a lot easier, but still provide enough challenge as is. Plus the control you have with the weapons still is something that a lot of other games miss, along side the amount of work put into the hitboxes and such.

Its not to say MH is without problems as there are a lot of things that I do not like at the same time too, but for me personally its MH gameplay wise.

Plus the variety of equipment and weapons is what also makes the title so popular in general. As everyone finds their own niche within the title itself.

TTGH I do not own it, but the general word on the street is folks do not seem happy with it. Am unsure why as have not looked it up in detail as never was a title I was interested in initially. Same with Shin Hayarigami, which is unfortunate since its done fairly well up until now for the most part. And I think it was Ataka-san from Experience who said if one is a fan of the series that they should find it enjoyable. So am unsure what to make of it. As its a niche title seeming like fans were unhappy with it at the same time.

Though seeing how folks enjoy the corpse party series, figure that Shin Hayarigami might have an audience too.

Chuy

No wonder people run into space issues so quickly.

Hell 1TB is probably not enough
It's not from what my gaming friends with a ps4 tell me so 2tb is pretty much required . One of the reasons i haven't bought a ps4 yet due to high cost of the system plus extra things is too much for me to stomach.

Xenoflare

It's not from what my gaming friends with a ps4 tell me so 2tb is pretty much required . One of the reasons i haven't bought a ps4 yet due to high cost of the system plus extra things is too much for me to stomach.

I honestly did not know that a full game install is mandatory. Wow.

It really shoots up the cost for this thing. I'd rather by a 2TB model than swapping it on my own. The 500GB is going to get more and more insufficient once last gen console retires.

But then again, if there is a 2TB SKU the price tag would be ghasly

SerTapTap

What difficulty settings should I use for Dangan Ronpa? The middle? Also is this a "screw up and the story changes" game or a "screw up and do things over" game?

...Then wtf is the point of having retail disc o_O.

Pretty! Plays on multiple consoles regardless of accounts. Reselling, renting. Quick reinstall (though deleting a game deletes the patches too, so that's less of a plus)

Tizoc

Retail games are usually cheaper (in Europe) and go on sale quicker (again, maybe just in Europe.)

Also I guess you could trade it in if you wanted.

And the game would still run without the disc? I mean OK granted installing is faster, but if I'm gonna give up the same size as digital I may as well buy it digitally.

Jeebus I shudder to think what the digital size of MGS5 will be and I'D Have to dl that game twice once on my PS4 and again on my laptop.

Chuy

I honestly did not know that a full game install is mandatory. Wow.

It really shoots up the cost for this thing. I'd rather by a 2TB model than swapping it on my own. The 500GB is going to get more and more insufficient once last gen console retires.

But then again, if there is a 2TB SKU the price tag would be ghasly
That's also not factoring in additional controllers, ps+, and games.
I hope to god there's a price drop soon.

Xenoflare

That's also not factoring in additional controllers, ps+, and games.
I hope to god there's a price drop soon.

I think as part of VitaGAF we all know what's it like to have big games with relatively small storage units.

I mean sure. HDDs are much, much cheaper than the memory cards and the room for expansion is almost limitless, but I'd wager the pain is the same.

Top Bottom