• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Has anyone (if they've tried to) been able to get a hold of NISAmerica's customer service department lately? They've been MIA for like 3 or 4 weeks for me... can't get an email response or a phone rep to do something with my payment method.

I'll be really miffed if I end up missing out on the htoL#NiQ LE when it tries to ship and the payment can't be processed.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Come on brah, Falcom games are worth the price of admission, it'll be years before this game goes on sale, just look at TitS FC, it just got its first sale/discount in 2 years, and I've been following PSN sales for just as long if not longer.
Also support good Japanese games~
What I'm hearing you say is that I can buy now or I can buy later and it will cost me the same. So... No rush! ;)

Chuy

Picked up a slim vita today so i finally own a vita again. :D
It's honestly a amazing improvement over the OG one in everything but screen but even then it's not that noticeable from what i can tell so far. Only problem so far is i can't connect to pc via usb but over wifi for some reason.
Also how is borderlands 2?

Ephidel

The first three that post an image of a physical Demon Gaze copy with your username written in a piece of paper gets a MH4U demo code.
Oooh, I can do this one!
HRZnh6g.jpg
... I really need to go back and complete that at some point. I only have the (boss spoilers?)
Quasar fight
remaining but I was playing the game through with two characters, and the best I managed was roughly 30% health before it all went horribly wrong.

Shizuka

Oooh, I can do this one!

... I really need to go back and complete that at some point. I only have the (boss spoilers?)
Quasar fight
remaining but I was playing the game through with two characters, and the best I managed was roughly 30% health before it all went horribly wrong.

And done, sent you a code.

Flandy

The first three that post an image of a physical Demon Gaze copy with your username written in a piece of paper gets a MH4U demo code.

Why does it have to be a physical copy? :(

I don't even own it. One of you guys should send me a copy to go along with the PS TV I just ordered :lol

Shizuka

Why does it have to be a physical copy? :(

I don't even own it. One of you guys should send me a copy to go along with the PS TV I just ordered :lol

Hey, I was going to ask for pictures of the limited edition, but I know that's a harder request.

Chuy

I used to recommend it but the further you play the worst it gets. I had fun for a while but I think I am going to finish it on PS3.
Never played the game/series before and kinda want to give it a shot however if it's poorly optimized then i don't want to give it my precious memory card space.

Thanks Shizuka. I will give the MH4U beta code that Shizuka gave me to the first person to post a physical copy of Playstation Vita Pets with their username written next to it ;)

Demon Gaze looks fun. I should probably buy it.

If it looks fun (assuming you've seen actual gameplay), you'll almost definitely find it fun. Should pick it up along with brandish and Operation abyss (when it releases). Brandish is a bit different, but I think most people who enjoy the other two will enjoy it.

Yaari

If it looks fun (assuming you've seen actual gameplay), you'll almost definitely find it fun. Should pick it up along with brandish and Operation abyss (when it releases). Brandish is a bit different, but I think most people who enjoy the other two will enjoy it.

I stumbled upon the Brandish topic today, also interesting. Haven't heard about Operation Abyss but I'm going to look into that one as well.

I stumbled upon the Brandish topic today, also interesting. Haven't heard about Operation Abyss but I'm going to look into that one as well.

To the best of my knowledge, Operation Abyss plays almost identically to Demon Gaze. Same artists, same devs. Less story I think, though (which is standard for the genre).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
To the best of my knowledge, Operation Abyss plays almost identically to Demon Gaze. Same artists, same devs. Less story I think, though (which is standard for the genre).

Actually no thats not correct.

Op Abyss is based off of their original title which was Generation Xth, Demon Gaze is actually more updated in the sense of them changing up some things with mechanics and such.

While similar character classes exist, the way the game plays is different due to no summoning circles or the gems used to add in skills that the class normally is unable to obtain.

The system of how equipment is obtained is also different as pretty much everything is crafted by the player from resources collected / bought in the store.

If anything the game has an older feel to it due to the base game it originally came from. That and I know for certain people are going to have an issue with the stats display seeing how folks were not able to understand the various stats in demon gaze.

If you played Demon Gaze and enjoyed it, you should have a good time with Operation Abyss also gameplay wise.

So I am trying that toukiden demo, is there any downside to a spear? bow?

Use whatever you feel comfortable the most with. There is no "uber weapon" really.

Actually no thats not correct.

Op Abyss is based off of their original title which was Generation Xth, Demon Gaze is actually more updated in the sense of them changing up some things with mechanics and such.

While similar character classes exist, the way the game plays is different due to no summoning circles or the gems used to add in skills that the class normally is unable to obtain.

The system of how equipment is obtained is also different as pretty much everything is crafted by the player from resources collected / bought in the store.

If anything the game has an older feel to it due to the base game it originally came from. That and I know for certain people are going to have an issue with the stats display seeing how folks were not able to understand the various stats in demon gaze.

Sounds like pacing and progression are different (so the way the game is played on a meta level is different) but the actually gameplay itself (movement, combat, etc.) are very similar. Is that accurate?

Parakeetman

Sounds like pacing and progression are different (so the way the game is played on a meta level is different) but the actually gameplay itself (movement, combat, etc.) are very similar. Is that accurate?

You can pretty much say that about any Wizardry type of dungeon crawler really.

The other up side is the fact you can create a full party from the get go. Where as in Demon Gaze you had to purchase rooms for new characters. So that should help people out who were having issues initially with Demon Gaze in OP Abyss. Though this game in relation to Demon Gaze uses a lot more enemies on occasion with how many rows can show up. Thats one thing I remember Demon Gaze cut back on a little.

You can pretty much say that about any Wizardry type of dungeon crawler really.

The other up side is the fact you can create a full party from the get go. Where as in Demon Gaze you had to purchase rooms for new characters. So that should help people out who were having issues initially with Demon Gaze in OP Abyss. Though this game in relation to Demon Gaze uses a lot more enemies on occasion with how many rows can show up. Thats one thing I remember Demon Gaze cut back on a little.

Suppose your first comment is true, lol. The genre is pretty homogenous. 2nd part sounds interesting. It's a harder game, yeah?

autoduelist

scea removed vice city stories psp from the vita store (still on the webstore)
how does this happen

I haven't double checked, but assuming you're correct that it's off, my guess is that whatever app 'editorial' has for entering/editing sales is really archaic and bad. In general, utilities for stuff like that are notoriously awful, just sort of thrown together real fast to meet a deadline with a promise to 'make it better', but then 'since it works' it never actually becomes a priority project to finish/fix it up. So whoever is responsible for entering sales, etc, is stuck with some frankenstein program where it's easy to accidentally make mistakes (such as removing it from the vita store) and everything takes 100x longer than it should.

It's a very, very common problem with backend apps in businesses of all sizes. Heck, I've seen programs where something like a simple cut & paste feature would have saved some poor grunt 5 hours of awful tedium a week, but years went by without it ever getting fixed.

Based on the issues PSN store famously has with updates, I'd be willing to bet bank that's a big part of the problem - terrible tools.

Yeah, Demon Gaze is fun if you like DRPGs. And yes, I'm still having an absolute blast with Mind Zero.

Parakeetman

Suppose your first comment is true, lol. The genre is pretty homogenous. 2nd part sounds interesting. It's a harder game, yeah?

In some ways it can be if the wrong enemy types gang up on you. Or your party is not made up to take care of them.

What makes it more difficult too is how there are no obvious cues as to what something should be weak against due to the monster designs.

Though its not like the game is daunting / impossible, its just will take folks a little more time to know ok this is weak to that sorta deal.

The buildup through the game is not that bad either and there should not really be a difficulty spike if you level properly.

One thing I do suggest is not going through battles by holding down the attack button and speeding through it, since there are quite a few enemy types that do all party attacks and you can get people killed that way lol.

The dungeon designs should keep folks amused too.

Ah thats right there might be 1 or 2 spots though that will cause people trouble. But can't really comment on it without going into spoiler territory. But will say that its due to
having to go through 2 boss fights in a row.
(not plot related, but stating what the issue is)

In the most simple terms if you meant that its the same as it is a grid based dungeon crawler using a class based party system. Then yes it is similar.

Parakeetman

Harder than Demon Gaze? Sign me up :3

In some ways its harder, in others at the same time its possible to break the game too if you make some real good equipment and fully upgrade it lol. But thats closer to the end of the title.

Though if you were a fan of the dungeon crawling / character leveling aspect of the title am sure you will have a good time.

Story-wise Demon Gaze comes out on top just due to its a more modern title in the sense that it had a script written for it, where Op Abyss is based off of their older PC series Generation Xth. So please just keep that in mind and do not purchase the game expecting to get the same type of story / character interaction experience that Demon Gaze gave.

But as a dungeon crawler the title is solid.

The whole item crafting system / upgrading will be a little WTF at start, but once you mess around with it and get used to things should make sense. Though will really seem confusing at first just due to how much crap there is.

Granted its from the JP version heres an example of what the item creation screen looks like. First part of the video is me identifying things, next you see me looking at creating objects. the left side is the base material the right side is the required materials and the bottom of that window is the output. kinda hard to figure out since its not in english but gives you an idea of what the menus for it look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpuKroN-wM

SerTapTap

I keep wanting to get Demon Gaze but it's never all that cheap and I don't really want to dedicated too much time like dungeon crawlers always require

MH4U is just... Wow. Playing online for the first time after so many years... If this was on the vita, lawd. Graphics aside, the gameplay is so goddamn solid even online. I'm very impressed.

Now back to the Vita, I am actually pretty hyped for Operation Abyss, it is my most awaited title for Q1 on the vita that's for sure. Loved Demon Gaze, knowing that this comes from the same devs, I can go in blind knowing that I am gonna love the game.

MaboyQt.jpg

Two things.

I actually haven't played much of it because I'm from the Steam generation where we buy games we don't play.

and

I know my handwriting is terrible but I'm not a child, I swear.

autoduelist

Have you picked up Brandish? Definitely seems in your wheelhouse.

I haven't, but I will eventually. I can't justify $20 versus the amount I've spent on gaming in time between Black Friday and now (Black Friday sales, gamefly sales, steam sale, and the PSN sale this week).

I am very thankful I own a lot of stuff on sale this week from previous sales (ff, chrono, tactics ogre, etc) or else I'd be selling body parts.

I'm currently dual wielding Mind Zero and Might & Magic Legacy X, so... I can justify holding off on a drpg for a bit (not to mention Operation Abyss is preordered and paid for). If they'd done a week 1 discount I may have been swayed, Brandish is definitely calling my name.

Tizoc

Brandish is worth the $20 mainly as it is a Falcom game, so you are guaranteed a kickass challenging game with an epic soundtrack.

What I'm hearing you say is that I can buy now or I can buy later and it will cost me the same. So... No rush! ;)

Yeah but will you REMEMBER to buy it ;D

Has anyone (if they've tried to) been able to get a hold of NISAmerica's customer service department lately? They've been MIA for like 3 or 4 weeks for me... can't get an email response or a phone rep to do something with my payment method.

I'll be really miffed if I end up missing out on the htoL#NiQ LE when it tries to ship and the payment can't be processed.

You can't get ahold of someone on the phone? I see consistent complaints about their slow online customer service, but I almost always get someone on the phone. Did you try paypal? When I originally was having issues ordering, that helped solve the problem for me.

Also, love the MH4U demo madness seeping into this thread. I just got mine from the gaf thread dedicated to it, the guys who missed out here should try over there.

In some ways its harder, in others at the same time its possible to break the game too if you make some real good equipment and fully upgrade it lol. But thats closer to the end of the title.

Though if you were a fan of the dungeon crawling / character leveling aspect of the title am sure you will have a good time.

Story-wise Demon Gaze comes out on top just due to its a more modern title in the sense that it had a script written for it, where Op Abyss is based off of their older PC series Generation Xth. So please just keep that in mind and do not purchase the game expecting to get the same type of story / character interaction experience that Demon Gaze gave.

But as a dungeon crawler the title is solid.

The whole item crafting system / upgrading will be a little WTF at start, but once you mess around with it and get used to things should make sense. Though will really seem confusing at first just due to how much crap there is.

Granted its from the JP version heres an example of what the item creation screen looks like. First part of the video is me identifying things, next you see me looking at creating objects. the left side is the base material the right side is the required materials and the bottom of that window is the output. kinda hard to figure out since its not in english but gives you an idea of what the menus for it look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpuKroN-wM

You can break most dungeon crawlers, especially if you're a seasoned player.

I have never played a EXP game before Demon Gaze so I'm looking forward to all localizations of their games, here's hoping that the sequel to Op Abyss gets localized.

The reason why I loved Demon Gaze so much because it reminded me a lot of Persona 1 and the first person Shin Megami Tensei games in terms of difficulty and fun. I love how fast paced they are compared to traditional turn based RPG's.

What makes the equipment crafting so overwhelming? Is it like a hunting game where you can craft equipment from gathered materials and upgradeable later with more gathered materials?

Also crab walking ftw

JOc3DEQ.jpg

Parakeetman

I have never played a EXP game before Demon Gaze so I'm looking forward to all localizations of their games, here's hoping that the sequel to Op Abyss gets localized.

The reason why I loved Demon Gaze so much because it reminded me a lot of Persona 1 and the first person Shin Megami Tensei games in terms of difficulty and fun. I love how fast paced they are compared to traditional turn based RPG's.

What makes the equipment crafting so overwhelming? Is it like a hunting game where you can craft equipment from gathered materials and upgradeable later with more gathered materials?

Also crab walking few

JOc3DEQ.jpg

Its just that they do not explain the system, so those unfamiliar with it will wonder wtf do they do lol. That and there is so much stuff on the menus as you can see in my vid.

Xenoflare

Also crab walking few

JOc3DEQ.jpg

Oh god look it's a Persona 1 art! <3

LOL last panel @ Mark "I beg you just walk like a normal person please this is embarrassing"

Persona Q at certain dungeons requires you to crab walk or back walk, its fun.

Its just that they do not explain the system, so those unfamiliar with it will wonder wtf do they do lol. That and there is so much stuff on the menus as you can see in my vid.

Yeah can't read Japanese though :< but I do get a good idea of what the crafting system is like. It's gonna be fun spending so much time in the crafting menu lol

Oh god look it's a Persona 1 art! <3

LOL last panel @ Mark "I beg you just walk like a normal person please this is embarrassing"

Persona Q at certain dungeons requires you to crab walk or back walk, its fun.

There's a translated version somewhere but I can't find it, I have too much Persona art.

I love crab walking, and when I found out you can crab walk in Persona Q, I was having the time of my life haha.

Yup. Not to mention, plenty of people read up on boards to find the most OP class setup, then complain the game is too unbalanced.... well, sure, if you let others min/max for you before you even start, then you get what you paid for.

I don't get those people :/ Like most rpg's, games can be broken with certain builds but only if you actively search out for the most broken build in the game. A magic build is mad broken in SMT IV which is funny because you just allocate the stat points as you go.

I usually like building broken builds when I start a New Game+ to obtain a certain ending.

autoduelist

Yup. Not to mention, plenty of people read up on boards to find the most OP class setup, then complain the game is too unbalanced.... well, sure, if you let others min/max for you before you even start, then you get what you paid for.

Parakeetman

Yeah can't read Japanese though :< but I do get a good idea of what the crafting system is like. It's gonna be fun spending so much time in the crafting menu lol

There's a translated version somewhere but I can't find it, I have too much Persona art.

I love crab walking, and when I found out you can crab walk in Persona Q, I was having the time of my life haha.

I don't get those people :/ Like most rpg's, games can be broken with certain builds but only if you actively search out for the most broken build in the game. A magic build is mad broken in SMT IV which is funny because you just allocate the stat points as you go.

I usually like building broken builds when I start a New Game+ to obtain a certain ending.

The thing is with traditional Wizardry its harder to really break the game, but when you leave in systems that allow for more flexibility thats where it happens. Similar to Etrian Odyssey 3. Due to them having so many varied classes and the sub job system it allowed for some pretty broken combinations. Its why Im pretty sure the reason behind them going far more orthodox with the classes in 4.

Its just people for the most part do not really understand design and run to scream OP on anything that makes gameplay efficient.

Most of the time the very same people would be utterly useless in the game without FAQs and such. Which you can tell from their posting habits that give away just how inept they really are with the title. Compounded by that most "modern gamers" these days would rather complain about things than actually think it through. As complaining is the cool thing to do and get folks rallied behind you.

This game its not really the classes so much as certain pieces of fully upgraded equipment is what can help you break through the game.

Its why I think they dropped the system in their other titles to go back to the "randomized" stats drops. Or made it more balanced with gear like Demon Gaze. As am pretty sure most of the stats that they are using for the equipment in the game is still the base data from the original Generation Xth games. Basically what am saying here, is its from an older design of theirs which is why in some ways it can be perceived as not being as balanced.

The whole "game breaking" aspect is comments made by fans and people I know who know the title in and out.

For the most part though, since it will be a new experience for everyone am sure you people wont have to worry about running into the issue. Unless someone goes and translates the JP wikis. And the way the game progresses too everything works out fine as is. Plus the high level of enjoyment from finding rare equipment. Since this title has a ton of items in comparison to Demon Gaze for example.

---

On the topic of the crafting system, if you have played the School of Heroes series, its somewhat similar to that. Cant remember if School of Heroes kept the feature allowing you to break down items for resources though, as it had it but could have sworn somewhere in the series they removed that. Unless am imagining things.

Anyways in Op Abyss you can break down weapons and equipment to gain resources back to use for crafting other things. Pretty useful and in the game itself money is not really a problem if you play enough, so the general neck is just having the resources you need to make what you want. Though upgrades do get expensive eventually.

Making things is a combination of limited resources bought from the base store and from stuff found off of enemy drops.

Should be a good time and like you said most def you will be spending a lot of time messing with the inventory.

Top Bottom