• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

jvm

Gamasutra.
If you liked The Swapper keep an eye out for Talos Principle, it's from the same guy who made The Swapper and is releasing on PS4 soon. It is one of my GotY 2014 contenders.
Really? 2015 just keeps getting better. Love it. Thanks.

By the way, I also 100%-ed The Swapper, just for giggles.
I agree, a similar thing happened with Crimsonland, launched at €12.99 and 5 weeks later it was already part of a sale (65% off). Later on the regular price has been reduced to €9.99. I assume that at €12.99 it didn't sell.

With a backlog of games waiting on a sale or a PS+ addition becomes a very easy thing to do.
Ugh. I hate that that happened to Crimsonland -- people should know it's a very good game. I hope they've seen good sales and made some money, regardless.

Edit: Mwahahahaha. Buy Duke3D, you goons.

Shinriji

You really shouldnt buy into the general hype. Esp when it comes to older titles like that. While watching vids does not help either, it does not hurt to look into the actual product on your own quite a bit first if possible.

The 3 main issues that I believe folks will have with the title is

1. The Graphics which are quite dated.

2. The Combat which takes up a good amount of time.

3. The Story pacing, as the start of the game takes a while to pick up and most people usually seem to lose interest there.

Pretty much everything else with the game though is there to give the player a pretty damned complete gaming experience though and more than worth the cost of entry.

Its just that I think a lot of people these days their general tastes have changed or life scheduling just does not fit with the title. Esp if it is someone new to the series so is not hard set to clear it being a "fan". If that makes sense.

So for those looking into buying or playing the title know that you will be getting into quite a time investment.

I'm enjoying it, don't get me wrong. And like I said before, loved xenogears, so I will stay for the payoff.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I beat Prototype 2. As someone that LOVED the original game I found this game.......eh. It's alright. Had a lot more fun with the original. They improved almost nothing and you get so overpowered that the game stops being engaging quite early. It's fun enough for a while but the repetitiveness and bland mission design gets old fast. I still enjoyed my time with the game but nowhere near as much as the original. I probably just had lower standards back then, but still I could have sworn the original offered more challenge and was generally more engaging than this.

So I beat Prototype 2. As someone that LOVED the original game I found this game.......eh. It's alright. Had a lot more fun with the original. They improved almost nothing and you get so overpowered that the game stops being engaging quite early. It's fun enough for a while but the repetitiveness and bland mission design gets old fast. I still enjoyed my time with the game but nowhere near as much as the original. I probably just had lower standards back then, but still I could have sworn the original offered more challenge and was generally more engaging than this.
I agree from about almost all the gameplay stuff, including going through the story. I enjoyed everything so much more in P1. That being said....I absolutely LOVE some of the powers in P2 though. That tentacle thing that rips people apart...ahh man it's nasty!! The second game seemed more like I was playing a "Carnage" simulator, flipping my symbiote everywhere, versus the first game where it really felt like the virus was more organic, or some jazz.

I still love them both dearly though (especially P1), and choose them over any Infamous game, all day, every day, including the days of future....
past? xD

SerTapTap

I tried Wolf Among Us episode 1 (was free on Amazon for PS3, they should really do that on all platforms as the demo), I really like it. Not sure what platform to get it it on though. Seems like buying Telltale games full price is never a good plan so I think I'll wait and see

Shizuka

I tried Wolf Among Us episode 1 (was free on Amazon for PS3, they should really do that on all platforms as the demo), I really like it. Not sure what platform to get it it on though. Seems like buying Telltale games full price is never a good plan so I think I'll wait and see

Game is great on the Vita, aside from a few stutters.

Producer

So is getting Atelier Ayesha early for the extra stuff worth it? I'm gonna be getting it regardless, but I might wait for a sale since I have so much backlog

it depends how much you want the dlc. As kaybe said, they might not make it available for purchase later. I have the game, i could post pictures of the costumes if you'd like.

Skyzard

Banned
Crimsonland is such a classic arena shooter, perfect for late night gaming sessions before bed when you're too awake. Gameplay is perfect for that as you move slow enough on default to be able to take it all in at that time and there's enough going on that it's challenging and fun. Highly recommend it for any arcade shooter fans who haven't picked it up.

Can't wait for the next OlliOlli too, it's another awesome one to pick up and play whenever and beat some highscores.

Ended up playing like 6 different games late last night. Been slacking on some of these gems. So many great little titles.

Hey guys just a quick question! for GTA-chinawars on vita can you use the second analog stick for the camera or no? i'm currently debating if i should get Danganronpa or both.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys just a quick question! for GTA-chinawars on vita can you use the second analog stick for the camera or no? i'm currently debating if i should get Danganronpa or both.
Nope, not possible. You can use it to change targets while locking on though.

I wish I could play the GTA Stories games using the right stick as camera movement. But the PSP needed those d-pad inputs for other stuff. Huge bummer.

Nope, not possible. You can use it to change targets while locking on though.

I wish I could play the GTA Stories games using the right stick as camera movement. But the PSP needed those d-pad buttons for other stuff. Huge bummer.

thanks bro, DR it is i need to know what's all the fuzz about that sexy bear... it's quite hypnotizing.

339.gif

Phototropic

Neo Member
Here is my unpopular gaming opinion: TWD, TWD S2 and TWAU are not that awful on the Vita. They're perfectly playable games that shine on the system. It's not the most advanced game, but aside from very few stutters, they're awesome. Come at me!
TWD is also one of the few games that benefits from touch controls. Makes the minor performance issues easier to deal with in the action sections.

Tizoc

Croteam made The Swapper? I thought it was Facepalm games.

I keep forgetting it's the story of both games being writter by the same person; Tom Jubert. Regardless, the way Swapper told its story was quite good so if you liked that, give Talos Principle a try since it has a few similar themes

autoduelist

While I agree that P1 tended to be a bit more 'fun', I think there are quite a few improvements in P2. Graphics, certainly - the first looked little better than a reskin of the very budget feeling Incredible Hulk game, the second actually tried to look good. I also liked the base assault mechanics better in the second (base assaults are by far my favorite part of the game). And the 'city population', while still pretty terrible in P2, was far superior to P1. I definitely enjoyed my time with both, though they'll both always feel very budget to me.

Gaf...is there an English retail ver. of FFX-2 available by any chance?
EDIT: Ah there is this one

Can someone provide me with some details about it please? I am not gonna have this game take 3.5 GB on my effin' Vita =_=
http://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-x-2-hd-remaster-english-paOS-13-49-en-70-7g9z.html

It's literally the same game as the English version released over here.

A while back someone mentioned making the switch (digital to physical) with that version and it overwrote the bubble.

Shun

Is the wifi connection range on the Vita supposed to suck this much? My Wii U, PS3, and 3DS can all connect at a pretty good range. The Vita's range is noticeably smaller than the other 3.

Plus internet connection on the PSN store on the Vita sucks so much. Error, can not connect within limit, error. I love the machine but these inconveniences suck.

Maid

Banned
Is the wifi connection range on the Vita supposed to suck this much? My Wii U, PS3, and 3DS can all connect at a pretty good range. The Vita's range is noticeably smaller than the other 3.

Plus internet connection on the PSN store on the Vita sucks so much. Error, can not connect within limit, error. I love the machine but these inconveniences suck.

Eh? If anything I would say it's better than my PS3, and there are time my PS4 couldn't connect to the PSN store while the Vita is fine.

I find my download speed on vita (along with my connection in general) is super inconsistent. I don't seem to have it as bad as many people do, though. Perhaps there's some external factor.

Shun

My PS3 works flawlessly for the most part.

I use an Airport Extreme and my room is on the other side of the building. The Vita can't even get full Wifi bars when everything else I own have full bars or are at 2 wifi bars.

The Vita never gets 3 and is always between 1 and 2 bars, which affects how well it connects to the PSN store.

Wanna download a 100kb DLC character? Wait 5 minutes to prepare only to say error disconnected or something similar.

To think it's worse than my 3DS at connecting to it's online store really says something.

autoduelist

My vita has a great connection throughout my house. The only time I see errors are generally when I already have the store open, then play something else for awhile, suspend/resume and go back to the store and click on something...

I think that's just because the vita needs to reconnect/authenticate with the secure store, so that makes sense... doing anything on the store (change page, etc) reloads everything and makes it work.

But other than that? No issues, and that one is very understandable.

Have you turned your vita off recently (mine only gets turned off like once a year, if that, which is why I ask). If not, perhaps just do an off and on and see if that clears anything up. Actually, you should on/off your router every once in awhile too, sometimes that clears issues you didn't realize you had.

SerTapTap

Frozen Synapse Prime seems pretty cool. Wish I had a mouse for it sometimes but turn-based makes it not a huge deal. The story feels entirely pointless in the campaign but I'm not far yet.

Game is great on the Vita, aside from a few stutters.

The stutters are why I'm thinking of PC or PS4, not PS3 for sure. Not that I pause often but there's also a 3 second delay when pausing. Not sure how well all versions work exactly, I've heard their engine just kinda sucks full stop

Man God

Non-Canon Member
None of the Sony wifi chips have ever been very good. PSP 1000 was the worst. I've had issues with everything since then, PS3, PSP GO, OLED and Slim Vita. You can try changing some channels, sometimes that works. There's some other suggestions online but yeah, underpowered and cheap.

Do you have Settings > Power Save Settings > Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode checked?

If so, uncheck it so that you'll be using the full power of your wifi chip.

Gaf...is there an English retail ver. of FFX-2 available by any chance?
EDIT: Ah there is this one

Can someone provide me with some details about it please? I am not gonna have this game take 3.5 GB on my effin' Vita =_=
http://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-x-2-hd-remaster-english-paOS-13-49-en-70-7g9z.html

Yep, I got my copy in the post yesterday from Play-Asia. They infrequently get new shipments in and you have to act fast if you want it from them.

Buygame2 have it in stock, though:

http://www.buygame2.com/en/shop_detail.php?subcat_id=231&pageno=1&item_id=21001

Shun

Do you have Settings > Power Save Settings > Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode checked?

Just unchecked it, still no full bars. Isn't at 0-1 anymore, struggling between 2 and 1 wifi bars.

Ignore them. Most of the monsters in the Disgaea games are crap compared to the human units.

Thank you, they were annoyingly weak.

Also, just tried out my PSnow trial. It is awesome! There is no lag what so ever. Though it might not be for everyone, my schools internet is pretty fast. I probably won't get subscription until Ps2 games are added, but I will for sure buy per game.

Skyzard

Banned
Really? 2015 just keeps getting better. Love it. Thanks.

By the way, I also 100%-ed The Swapper, just for giggles.
Ugh. I hate that that happened to Crimsonland -- people should know it's a very good game. I hope they've seen good sales and made some money, regardless.

Edit: Mwahahahaha. Buy Duke3D, you goons.

Crimsonland is such a classic arena shooter, perfect for late night gaming sessions before bed when you're too awake. Gameplay is perfect for that as you move slow enough on default to be able to take it all in at that time and there's enough going on that it's challenging and fun. Highly recommend it for any arcade shooter fans who haven't picked it up.

Can't wait for the next OlliOlli too, it's another awesome one to pick up and play whenever and beat some highscores.

Ended up playing like 6 different games late last night. Been slacking on some of these gems. So many great little titles.

I posted this in a rush and somehow didn't see your post on it even though it's at the top.

Crimsonland is a great title to own. I bought it at £10 and was a little bummed when it dropped in price so quick but I hope people picked it up if they're fans of arena shooters:

There is a lot of game there in terms of re-playability, and the game mechanics are geared towards challenging but rewarding gameplay. It looks a bit plain (except some of the effects and blood splatter) but it grows on you. The game lends itself to mutliple runs and tries especially on the survival modes were you get pretty interesting perks as you level up in one run.

It's an easy game to jump in to. Runs well, some minor slowdown when things get crazy in some modes but it's usually short and not bad...just extra tense :p

It's on my go-to page along with:

OlliOlli
Spelunky
Motorstorm RC
Lumines
PS AS BR
Wipeout folder
Crash Bandicoot
folder
It used to be Luftrausers but that game gets too hard at the end for me, need to focus on that at the right time so it's Ridge Racer.

Just unchecked it, still no full bars. Isn't at 0-1 anymore, struggling between 2 and 1 wifi bars.

It's not the amount of signal it changes (a reading of 27% beforehand should still read 27% with it off), but how the wifi chip handles the connection and how often it polls and sends/receives data (as well as the max throughput).

Try flicking it off and on while cycling through the PSN Store - even on my 75MBit connection there's a noticeable difference.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ignore them. Most of the monsters in the Disgaea games are crap compared to the human units.

the little cat thing > everything else monster wise. esp if you gave the furry bastard a katana. though later in the series i think they changed it so monsters couldnt equip weapons.

I didn't know this?! My OLED vita is actually faster never had problems with reception but it does feel improved thanks! I only turn on the wifi for updates or online play.
Enjoy. The game is good but be sure to keep your expectations in check as neither game is really earth-shattering.

If it's entertaining I think I'll enjoy it, I'm currently book of shadows on my psp and I think it's fun despite not having mini games like DR.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I remember really liking the Succubus and Nekomata in the previous games.

Then there was that weird plant chick too. Forgot what it was called.

Am looking forward to seeing how the classes are in 5.

About that cat thing I might be thinking makai kingdom actually lol. yeah it was makai kingdom, they appear in disgaea later in the series but have preset stuff.

I didn't know this?! My OLED vita is actually faster never had problems with reception but it does feel improved thanks! I only turn on the wifi for updates or online play.

Most people either don't know about it or think the setting has something to do with wifi being on during sleep, but I'm trying to spread the word! lol

Maid

Banned
I remember really liking the Succubus and Nekomata in the previous games.

I'm sure as hell didn't keep using them because they are useful, lol.

Then there was that weird plant chick too. Forgot what it was called.

Am looking forward to seeing how the classes are in 5.

Ain't that a trap? I remember seeing their skit in Disgaea D2, and they said they are genderless or a boy, I don't quite remember.

Disgaea 5 has something that makes me want to buy it day one. The zombie maid.

autoduelist

Most people either don't know about it or think the setting has something to do with wifi being on during sleep, but I'm trying to spread the word! lol

It's the worst worded feature on the vita and can easily be read to come to two completely polar opposite meanings. I can't believe they haven't changed the language or possibly added a description or tooltip to clarify it in any of the many patches.

Tizoc

It's literally the same game as the English version released over here.

A while back someone mentioned making the switch (digital to physical) with that version and it overwrote the bubble.

That's fine by me, I'll back up the save data and replace it with the Asia ver. I don't think my brother got THAT far in FFX-2 so a retail ver. wouldn't affect him at all.

I already ordered so thanks to everyone for their feedback =)

Pre-ordered Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2 for the end of the month, and finally ordered that English release of Sword Art Online. I'm a PS4hore now, but I still don't want to get too far behind on what I set out to do.

Tizoc

Pre-ordered Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2 for the end of the month, and finally ordered that English release of Sword Art Online. I'm a PS4hore now, but I still don't want to get too far behind on what I set out to do.

Did you pre-order Grim Fandango by any chance =P

You're absolutey right about challenge level. The second one is WAY easier.

Did you pre-order Grim Fandango by any chance =P

I forgot all about that. Didn't amazon uk used to have a listing for a physical copy? Did that vanish into thin air and start doing the Putty Squad thing, or did I let it pass me by like an idiot?

I'm still waiting for Ultimate Tetris from them.

Top Bottom