• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Mozendo

Gamestop has digital codes. Not 100% sure if they work, but I think so (codes work even if the game isn't listed, that's how promo-only items and review copies work) http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-ultimate-edition/108758

Great game in all regards other than the leveling system (does literally ANY beat 'em up do that right?) and final boss (too much health). Fantastic art and music.
Oh thank you so much, gonna go and grab this!

I believe you need to "create a new user" (because it's new to that PS4) and there's an option to sign in to an existing PS4 account. I'm not at my PS4 but I'm pretty sure it works pretty much as you'd expect, the "new user" is just a bit confusing. I think I did this when I made my JP account but I forget if I put it on PS3 or PS4 first.

Thanks; I'll give that a try tonight.

Takao

Banned
Last week SCEA removed Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories from the Vita store. This week they removed Brandish (I'm sure XSEED appreciates them cutting the game's sales like that - it just came out last week). What's next in this endless game of incompetence? I should check on those Square Enix games ...

SerTapTap

Last week SCEA removed Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories from the Vita store. This week they removed Brandish. What's next in this endless game of incompetence? I should check on those Square Enix games ...

Wait, the NEW brandish? The one that's a week old? I don't get why it's possible for Vita games to be on the webstore and not the Vita store (and the PS TV store is just baffling). This should be a unified database and the stores just pull "is this game for me" from the data. From the issues they have it seems to not be.

I'm glad they have a fully functional web store, I try to never use the store on my PS3 or Vita now. PS4 isnt' too bad, especially when games have an in-game DLC store thingy, it's so snappy in Driveclub, it makes me almost not hate "free DLC" (that in a sane world would just be a patch)

deadfolk

I should really get around to watch Brotherhood one of these days. It's been a while since I finished reading the manga, so I could do with a refresher. :D

Doing this as the moment. They're on Netflix (US) if you didn't know.

I just read the blog comments on the sales post

Better you than me - I tend to stay away from those, lest the very final remains of my faith in humanity dissolve.

Yay. Vita ver. is on the way and IIRC will be cross-buy.

Ooh, nice! That could be the clincher. Just need to check some reviews.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Last week SCEA removed Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories from the Vita store. This week they removed Brandish (I'm sure XSEED appreciates them cutting the game's sales like that - it just came out last week). What's next in this endless game of incompetence? I should check on those Square Enix games ...

wonder if yoshida would block you if you tweeted to him each time SCEA screws something up with PSN. lol

though that post wario did to sqex was hilarious.

daydream

Banned
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate for five bucks, hmm. I don't know if I'll be able to overcome the renewed feeling of disappointment every time I notice what they did to the artstyle.

Suikoden doesn't seem to be up, yet.

Takao

Banned
did konami really go to the efforts of making a duke devlin sprite in 2014 only to use it as basically an icon
cwstm3I.jpg

or are these sprites from a really early version of tagforce wasn't based on gx
we will never know
bunch of info from the guide book: http://ygorganization.com/tag-force-special-information-leaks/

PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate for five bucks, hmm. I don't know if I'll be able to overcome the renewed feeling of disappointment every time I notice what they did to the artstyle.

Suikoden doesn't seem to be up, yet.

Suikoden is delayed to beginning of February...

Maid

Banned
Doesn't operation abyss have a pretty great skill system?

Definitely a game I'll look out for.

Isn't that Dungeon Travelers 2?

From what I remember from imported impression that Operation Abyss isn't really that much different in term of system compares to Demon Gaze.

SerTapTap

Gameplay is still great. Style is kinda disappointing, but it I can see what they were going for. Definitely get it if you missed either of the original games. I don't know if this is still the case, but the multiplayer is kind of alright, if you can get a fair match (half the time I was matched with someone with maxed "fame"/whatever and all unlocks)

Also, the Vita version has the old art style but is 30 FPS. Can't really recommend it over the PS3 version other than playing it on the go. Also, play with a friend if possible, it's really fun that way.

How many in the U.S.? And does this count PSM, PS1, PSP?

Release counts for the main 3 regions: (Up to December 31st 2014)

North America - 341 Games - (Including ~5 Exclusives)
Europe - 319 Games - (Including ~13 Exclusives)
Japan - 339 Games - (Including ~222 Exclusives)
-
Total - 576 Unique Games Released

Native Vita releases counted only. ;)

PS; My Japanese numbers are going to be low, because I know I've missed at least a few titles.

daydream

Banned
Gameplay is still great. Style is kinda disappointing, but it I can see what they were going for. Definitely get it if you missed either of the original games. I don't know if this is still the case, but the multiplayer is kind of alright, if you can get a fair match (half the time I was matched with someone with maxed "fame"/whatever and all unlocks)

Also, the Vita version has the old art style but is 30 FPS. Can't really recommend it over the PS3 version other than playing it on the go. Also, play with a friend if possible, it's really fun that way.

Can you explain the bolded? I thought the Vita/PS4 version (Ultimate) was the one with the new artstyle.

SerTapTap

Can you explain the bolded? I thought the Vita/PS4 version (Ultimate) was the one with the new artstyle.

They are both Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate and have content parity (other than local co op) but the Vita version is 30 FPS and has the original flat artstyle. The PS4 version is 60 FPS and has the "next gen" shiny lighting and textures. Kinda wish there was a toggle for PS4 since they clearly just used the original stuff for the Vita version and the PS4 art is just the original art gussied up. The lighting is actually pretty nice on it's own, but stylistically it's hard to ignore how much better the original looks.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Not counting PSM, PS1 or PSP. Not counting games bundles (like Grip Games 10-in-1). Not counting the japanese edutainment releases. Later I will separate numbers by regions.
I would be interested to see the list. I have a list I made that was current for U.S. as of February 2014 (a year old) and it had ~300 items on it including PSV, PSP, PS1, PSM. So 800 seems high if you include only PSV, but I'm not aware of how much is out in other regions that differs from the U.S.

daydream

Banned
They are both Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate and have content parity (other than local co op) but the Vita version is 30 FPS and has the original flat artstyle. The PS4 version is 60 FPS and has the "next gen" shiny lighting and textures. Kinda wish there was a toggle for PS4 since they clearly just used the original stuff for the Vita version and the PS4 art is just the original art gussied up. The lighting is actually pretty nice on it's own, but stylistically it's hard to ignore how much better the original looks.

Oh, I see. That puts it back on my radar, actually (don't care about framerate). Thanks!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Isn't that Dungeon Travelers 2?

From what I remember from imported impression that Operation Abyss isn't really that much different in term of system compares to Demon Gaze.

Hmm, not too sure actually. I just remembered a thread (probably by parakeetman) talking about a dungeon crawler with a really good skill system that seemed pretty interesting.

Maid

Banned
Hmm, not too sure actually. I just remembered a thread (probably by parakeetman) talking about a dungeon crawler with a really good skill system that seemed pretty interesting.

This one, right?

I was following it pretty closely since I interested in it, with all the praises from Parakeetman. Doesn't mean Operation Abyss is bad, though. I remember he said it's quite similar to Demon Gaze so people who loved Demon Gaze will like it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm maybe. I don't actually have a great memory about it honestly. But yeah, operation abyss looks like a lot of fun.

jvm

Gamasutra.

-

PS; My Japanese numbers are going to be low, because I know I've missed at least a few titles.
I have 209 releases as of February 2014 sometime, again in U.S. only. Are you also counting native PSV apps (as opposed to games)? I'm having a hard time grasping 100+ releases for PSV in 10 months, but maybe so.

Parakeetman

This one, right?

I was following it pretty closely since I interested in it, with all the praises from Parakeetman. Doesn't mean Operation Abyss is bad, though. I remember he said it's quite similar to Demon Gaze so people who loved Demon Gaze will like it.

The general designs with some things are similar others are different.

Operation Abyss is a bit more inventory management intensive due to all items you use in the game are crafted from plans / resources found from enemy drops / chests. Then there is the unidentified items too. So those who felt that there was not enough loot in Demon Gaze should be more amused in Operation Abyss.

Though one downside is that Operation Abyss goes off of an older game system / design than Demon Gaze as it is based off of Experience Incs first titles the Generation Xth series that were released on the PC.

But for a solid dungeon crawling experience it is most def there. Also hardly any fan service for those who were uncomfortable with Demon Gaze.

Doesn't operation abyss have a pretty great skill system?

Definitely a game I'll look out for.

The game with the great skill system is the Dungeon Travelers series.

How Operation Abyss works is skills are unlocked via levels. So pretty much the exact same system as Demon Gaze in that aspect. So there is no customization in these sense of skills learned, but the usual stats point allocation is in the game.

Shinriji

-

My version:

Released: 596
Unreleased: 204

North America: 495 games (1 region exclusive)
Europe: 505 games (13 region exclusives)
Japan: 491 games (291 region exclusives)

193 games for all 3 regions.

SerTapTap

No Senran Kagura sale in the US? Why do so few Japanese games get discounted in our region?

I really don't know, maybe they let the stigma get to their heads? Actual sales seem to be alright for niche titles in the US even if "popular opinion" is "waa waa anime where is my precious bald space marine with his glimmering pecs"

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
did konami really go to the efforts of making a duke devlin sprite in 2014 only to use it as basically an icon
cwstm3I.jpg

or are these sprites from a really early version of tagforce wasn't based on gx
we will never know
bunch of info from the guide book: http://ygorganization.com/tag-force-special-information-leaks/

Damn i had my doubt but the game seems to have a good amount of contents! Now i really want it!
I really wanted it even before
Too bad for the apparent lack of 3d models :(

Parakeetman

Vita-GAF, if I can only buy one of these, which one should I get first? Freedom Wars or Danganronpa 2?

What do you want? An action game or something that you can be a bit more relaxed playing / enjoying the story?

Id suggest Danganronpa 2 just because at least that game doesnt start to fall apart the longer you play and has a complete story lol

But if you want a unique action game Freedom Wars still is worth checking out and for the price + amount of time you will spend playing if you enjoy it will make the purchase worth it.

Zhao_Yun

What do you want? An action game or something that you can be a bit more relaxed playing / enjoying the story?

Id suggest Danganronpa 2 just because at least that game doesnt start to fall apart the longer you play and has a complete story lol

But if you want a unique action game Freedom Wars still is worth checking out and for the price + amount of time you will spend playing if you enjoy it will make the purchase worth it.

Don't really have a genre preference at the moment which is why I couldn't decide on one lol. Figured I should just let Vita-GAF decide for me and it seems like it will be DR2. I played DR1 on the PSP when the Fan translation was released, so it's been a while :p

Benedict

Yay. Vita ver. is on the way and IIRC will be cross-buy.
Just december To Guy It thai weekend

Or as it was supposed to be:
Must remember to buy it this weekend

That's auto correct at its best.

Edit: yakuza games are up in Europe
Edit 2: Rollers of the realm is on sale. Jay or nay? (I like pinball)

autoduelist

I thought DRPGs played a lot like first person roguelikes--first person, big RNG maze? Maybe not. I can't recall the last actual DRPG I played

They do play a lot alike in that there are similarities and fans of one often enjoy the other.

Common differences (I'm sure there are exceptions) --
-traditional DRPG is first person dungeon crawling, roguelike is topdown / sometimes iso
-traditional DRPG has hand crafted maps, often with traps and puzzles, roguelike is RNG maze (often with some level of handcrafted elements, or some handcrafted puzzle/plot/store levels added to each dungeon from a large pool of variants)
-traditional DRPG is party based, traditional roguelike has a single hero (exceptions exist)
-traditional DRPG has save system, roguelike is permadeath

from someone not versed in them, i'm sure they'd seem very similar. You start underpowered, explore dungeons tile by tile, find lewt, get powerful... they both scratch a lot of the same itches. Permadeath may (as always) be the great divide that pushes some into one camp or another... I'm perfectly at home in either.

Wait, the NEW brandish? The one that's a week old? I don't get why it's possible for Vita games to be on the webstore and not the Vita store (and the PS TV store is just baffling). This should be a unified database and the stores just pull "is this game for me" from the data. From the issues they have it seems to not be.

You're absolutely correct that it should all be pulling from a single, robust db. It's hard to tell as an outsider, but I think it is... I think it's just an antiquated db originally designed for a single platform (ps3) with everything else glommed on. PSP didn't create to many issues at first, but once the vita was released it created issues because (just guessing here) the issue of 'psp games that do/don't work on vita' was badly implemented/glommed into the existing systems (db/back end, and front end for editors).

This is just guesswork, obviously, I haven't had my hands on it. The idea of redesigning it from the ground up sounds fun to me though, fwiw.

Maid

Banned
Don't really have a genre preference at the moment which is why I couldn't decide on one lol. Figured I should just let Vita-GAF decide for me and it seems like it will be DR2. I played DR1 on the PSP when the Fan translation was released, so it's been a while :p

The longer you wait, the higher chance you stumble upon a spoiler, so I'd recommend to get DR2 first.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

-

What's up with that exclusives count? I'm pretty sure Vita had more than that on day 1 other than Japan obviously.

SerTapTap

I am actually surprised that I haven't been spoilered yet.

Most people are pretty courteous for games like that. I was actually spoiled for Dead Space 3 (by an asshole) but didn't get a word of TLOU, Dangan Ronpa (still haven't started) or Ghost Trick spoilers

From someone not versed in them, i'm sure they'd seem very similar. You start underpowered, explore dungeons tile by tile, find lewt, get powerful... they both scratch a lot of the same itches. Permadeath may (as always) be the great divide that pushes some into one camp or another... I'm perfectly at home in either.

My favorite Roguelikes don't really have "permadeath" but rather if you get KO'd you lose all your current items (and occasionally have a single chance to retrieve certain items by going back into the same dungeon). Chocobo, Izuna and Pokemon all have storage you can keep items in for future runs as long as you survive a full trip (or escape, where possible). I find it's a nice balance mostly, though Izuna is so item focused and hard that the last level in the first game/postgame levels in the second game are pretty nuts.

I just kind of assumed DRPG were random since those kind of mazes are very easy to generate but I guess they don't. Maybe I'll like them with the normal saves and stuff.

Oh, I see. That puts it back on my radar, actually (don't care about framerate). Thanks!

If you do end up getting it, add me on PSN: cesahfwanko.
We can help each other wit the online trophies since it is practically dead now and if you do get matched up, it's against someone that is too overpowered and supped up to be able to compete fairly. I only need those to get the platinum and that way you can get them out of the way early.

Top Bottom