• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

deadfolk

Started downloading on my vita and its 3.1gb confirmed.

Holy mother of God! Guess it will have to wait then. 128GB Sony, please.

Or, more likely, something else will get deleted.

Edit: TOTP, buy Grim Fandango and delete something else you love.

Tizoc

Holy mother of God! Guess it will have to wait then. 128GB Sony, please.

Or, more likely, something else will get deleted.

Edit: TOTP, buy Grim Fandango and delete something else you love.

But I love FF9 too much to delete it!
Bye bye Divekick & Gods Eater 1 I guess...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Uber ot but i don't want to open a thread for this, between win 8 and android what's more suited for a girl who wants to buy a cheap 7" tablet, doesn't play videogames, and will probably use it to surf the web and write things? What has more and better apps?

It's your decision I guess, but that's a minor difference that really doesn't affect the game very much. Why does everything have to use MP? Neither system is objectively better or worse, it's just different. It really only matters if the game is balanced around it correctly.

I'm not sure it's possible to design a spell system where people won't abuse the lowest level healing spell or the weakest attack spell without flat-out removing them. And there's also spells that are good but never worth their cost so you never see them in play, which I think this sort of design is great for.

You also have issues (not necessarily problems, but oddities) like Disgaea where basically only the lowest and highest level of spell are worth using (though in disgaea there's a weird balance where the most efficient spell is somewhere in the middle). It's not necessarily bad, but it's different. I actually didn't mind FF8's Stock system, except actually drawing it in battle (making it a grind). Making magic from items was simple and effective.

Me too. Superior magic system, makes you utilize different spells and goes some ways into differentiating characters further.

I didn't say that everything needs to be made with mana, i just said that i don't like that system.

The game should "force" me to use different spells by giving me good motivations, not by limiting my choices.

I never use spells like resist poison/stun/etc because usually there are no many enemies capable of inflicting them, the odds of being inflicted are low and their effects are not that dangerous, but if a game makes me go in a dungeon full of spiders with high odds of inflicting poison that does a lot of damage then i would use resist poison.

If an enemy is weak i can use cheap and weak spells, but if an enemy is strong and makes lots of damages each turn or regenerate then i will use expensive and strong spells.

That's how you make me use different spells, it's all about balance, not magic system.

About the abuse of mana potions a game could be without them and then you would have the same need to save spells.

I really hate the D&D system because few spells are suited for most of the situations while most of the others are not, so the "generic" ones ends fast while i remain with others that are not useful in most of the situations. Other than that when i reach a boss i either finished most of the spells or i avoided most of the enemies, 2 things i really hate. Another thing, games with limited resources usually give you enough informations to decide if spend the resources or not(aka approach an enemy in this case), instead most of the dungeon crawlers have random encounters(some games don't even have visible enemies so you can't avoid encounters) so you don't know what you will need.

Those are some of the reasons why i really hate that system, but in any case i respect people who adore it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Uber ot but i don't want to open a thread for this, between win 8 and android what's more suited for a girl who wants to buy a cheap 7" tablet, doesn't play videogames, and will probably use it to surf the web and write things? What has more and better apps?

Android by far. Windows 8 only if you really need to have the desktop option.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I really feel like this is the best time in months to play games. Even the end of last calendar year, heading into the holidays, wasn't this good.

Grim Fandango
provided it works today when I get off work
and Resident Evil and Axiom Verge
faster please
and Infamous: First Light (free!) and The Swapper and Duke3D. Just so much variation and goodness.

So little time...

SerTapTap

I love my surface pro too but I wouldn't use it as a dedicated tablet.

I guess I'm not a standard tablet user, since the SP3 I have no reason for any other tablet. The nexus 7 was kinda nice but the size is pretty useless to me. It's still not small enough to be actually portable, and any time I can bring a carrying case the extra few inches don't matter so I could just bring the SP3

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I guess I'm not a standard tablet user, since the SP3 I have no reason for any other tablet. The nexus 7 was kinda nice but the size is pretty useless to me. It's still not small enough to be actually portable, and any time I can bring a carrying case the extra few inches don't matter so I could just bring the SP3

The main benefit of a 7 inch tablet is it is way lighter.

So I finished Second Son, and First Light. I was feeling the shit out of all that. I even did all the mindboggling, Batman on meth Paper Trail sidemission shit for SS. I can't believe it didn't give me
a boss fight or a new power
, but I'm glad I did it. It's a cool metagame idea, even though it was pretty tedious, stifling and obtuse most of the time. There had to be a better way to do that just using the phone in-game, the way you could get online in GTAV. Still creative, and I probably put myself on a watchlist by going to a wrong real website for hidden asset investigation at the start, instead of the right fake website. Whatever, though... really glad I played both games right now.

That's impressive. Is that including PSP/PSone Classics or just Vita?

I'm at 127 GB, but I'm fully digital.

PSP/PSOne too. It all gets thrown in the folder by CMA. It's mostly Vita games, though. There are fewer 1-2GB Vita games compared to PSOne/PSP games that break the threshold, but way more Vita games in total.

autoduelist

The game should "force" me to use different spells by giving me good motivations, not by limiting my choices.

I never use spells like resist poison/stun/etc because usually there are no many enemies capable of inflicting them, the odds of being inflicted are low and their effects are not that dangerous, but if a game makes me go in a dungeon full of spiders with high odds of inflicting poison that does a lot of damage then i would use resist poison.

If an enemy is weak i can use cheap and weak spells, but if an enemy is strong and makes lots of damages each turn or regenerate then i will use expensive and strong spells.

That's how you make me use different spells, it's all about balance, not magic system.

About the abuse of mana potions a game could be without them and then you would have the same need to save spells.
SNIP

Snipping to focus on that last sentence first.

If you had a mana system without an easy way to replenish mana, most people would only spend mana on their very best spell (Greater Fireball for bosses, Lesser Fireball for mobs, perhaps) to the exclusion of all other spells.

Why? Because in a limited mana system, you'd be forced to use your mana to the utmost, eeking every point of damage out that you could. Poisoned? Hopefully you have an antidote potion because casting a 'poison resist' spell would be a waste of the far more important mana resource.

That's why almost all games that use a mana point system allow mana points to be easy to refresh via potions, fountains, etc... so you're once again free to spam any spell you want, within limits (quaffing a potion takes a turn, you have a basic cap per battle, etc)

A spell quantity system removes that issue. Casting your 'poison resistance' spell in no way hampers your casting of 'Greater Fireball', so, in theory, you are more likely to cast both assuming a well balanced game.

Going back to your first sentence:
"The game should "force" me to use different spells by giving me good motivations, not by limiting my choices."

There will always be a 'best DPS spell', a 'best buff', etc... there's no way to avoid that. And this idea that it's 'limiting your choices' is purely a matter of perspective -- it could just as easily be said a 'spell quantity' system 'expands your choices' by removing the interlocking dependency of different spells (mana points). You're now free to cast Lightning Bolt without worrying it will cripple your ability to cast Greater Fireball later.

Imo, spell quantity systems create a far better 'economy' of spells... where you'll be looking at all your available spells trying to decide which is the best to use for a given combat situation - and more importantly, SHOULD I cast a spell at all, given their quantity limitation. In a mana system, in almost all cases, that spell will be your best combat spell (be it Greater Fireball, or whatever) and quaffing a potion as necessary. The tactical implications in a mana system are as such severely reduced [in most implementations], though you do get to feel a bit more 'bad ass' since you can power through things continually casting your most badass spells.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Snipping to focus on that last sentence first.

If you had a mana system without an easy way to replenish mana, most people would only spend mana on their very best spell (Greater Fireball for bosses, Lesser Fireball for mobs, perhaps) to the exclusion of all other spells.

Why do you think so? In a battle your aim should be to beat enemies asap with the cheapest cost possible, weak spells are suited for weak enemies, if you use weak spells against medium enemies they won't die fast and will hit you, forcing you to use heal. Against medium enemies medium spells are the best because strong spells would be a waste of mana(or whatever the system)
It's all about balance.

Why? Because in a limited mana system, you'd be forced to use your mana to the utmost, eeking every point of damage out that you could. Poisoned? Hopefully you have an antidote potion because casting a 'poison resist' spell would be a waste of the far more important mana resource.

imo a well balanced game without mana potions would have anti poison spells or potions, not both because having both would defeat the purpose of not having mana potions

That's why almost all games that use a mana point system allow mana points to be easy to refresh via potions, fountains, etc... so you're once again free to spam any spell you want, within limits (quaffing a potion takes a turn, you have a basic cap per battle, etc)

A spell quantity system removes that issue. Casting your 'poison resistance' spell in no way hampers your casting of 'Greater Fireball', so, in theory, you are more likely to cast both assuming a well balanced game.

Again the game should give you a motivation to use a spell, why should i use the greater fireball in a dungeon full of weak enemies with low resistance to ice?

Going back to your first sentence:
"The game should "force" me to use different spells by giving me good motivations, not by limiting my choices."

There will always be a 'best DPS spell', a 'best buff', etc... there's no way to avoid that. And this idea that it's 'limiting your choices' is purely a matter of perspective -- it could just as easily be said a 'spell quantity' system 'expands your choices' by removing the interlocking dependency of different spells (mana points). You're now free to cast Lightning Bolt without worrying it will cripple your ability to cast Greater Fireball later.

again it's a balance issue, if a game gives you ice, fire, earth and other elements then they should have a sense, every enemy should be weak or strong to something, if most of the enemies are neutral to elements then there's no point to them, what to use is just a matter of preference.
No matter the magic system and the balance there will always be spells that are more useful than others(attack spells will always be used more than resist spells), it's inevitable, that's why a game should not limit choices

Imo, spell quantity systems create a far better 'economy' of spells... where you'll be looking at all your available spells trying to decide which is the best to use for a given combat situation - and more importantly, SHOULD I cast a spell at all, given their quantity limitation. In a mana system, in almost all cases, that will be your best combat spell (be it Greater Fireball, or whatever) and quaffing a potion as necessary. The tactical implications are as such severely reduced, though you do get to feel a bit more 'bad ass' since you can power through things continually casting your most badass spells.

It would be the same with a well balanced game with limited mana or whatever the system, always using greater fireball is developers' fault, not magics' system.

IIRC even in certain dungeon crawlers with D&D system there's a way to refill spell uses, so it's not that different.

If only there was an overpriced physical copy for me to buy that people who wouldn't buy a physical copy anyway would complain about the price of.

autoduelist

Since you quoted oddly, I can't quote well either -- your comments in quotes.

"Why do you think so? In a battle your aim should be to beat enemies asap with the cheapest cost possible, weak spells are suited for weak enemies"

Perhaps I'm not being clear -- obviously you're going to use weaker spells against rats, etc. And obviously you use your 'Ice Storm' against fire dragons, and your 'Fire Storm' against Evil Snowmen. That's not what I'm talking about... that's still just picking your most relevant DPS (or buff/debuff) spell against any given enemy or mob of enemies.

That quickly becomes rote. You use the most relevant spell, quaff a potion, and use it again. And again. Where ever necessary, and without thought to scarcity. Why use a thunderbolt against that Ice Giant when you're obviously just going to use Greater Fireball? Spell quantity limitations force you to be very selective, and often use spells that might not be the 'best' for a given situation. If you only have 1 Greater Fireball left, do you use it against that Ice Giant? Or save it for a later enemy? Do you use a Thunderbolt against the Fire Demon because you really need to damage him and you're out of (or don't want to waste) Ice spells? Or just risk letting your melee characters whittle him down?

In a mana based game, of course you use the best spell available (in this case your elemental spell of choice), then you quaff a potion, no big deal. Ice Storm, Thunderbolt, etc, are 'options', but not 'choices' --- that is, the choice is obvious.

"imo a well balanced game without mana potions would have anti poison spells or potions, not both because having both would defeat the purpose of not having mana potions"

Many games have scrolls and potions that emulate important spells. You have antidotes to use for 'remove poison' spell, a Phoenix Down type item (or church) as well as revive spells... many games also sell scrolls so non-magic users can 'cast' limited spells. And then you have 'horns of fire' or 'swords of laser' to further emulate magic.

There are very, very few games that don't have easy to replenish mana points in mana based games. The only one I can actively think of is Bard's Tale 3, in fact... though I'm sure there are more, where you had to wait 'real time' for mana to restore. All the rest I can think of have potions or ways to easily rest, though I may be forgetting some others.

However, that's sort of the point -- limiting mana forces hard choices. I like that. So I'm not criticizing those games at all, merely pointing out that in the vast majority of mana based games your spell casters are effectively mana-rich by mid game due to stockpiling potions. And once you are mana-rich, there's little need to conserve mana or put much thought into what spells to cast/not cast.

"Again the game should give you a motivation to use a spell, why should i use the greater fireball in a dungeon full of weak enemies with low resistance to ice?"

See my first response... I made the mistake of assuming that was a 'given' in making my point -- obviously you use 'Ice Storm' or 'Fire Storm' where appropriate. But that is not real choice between spells, it's just rote behavior.

The issue is purely that it doesn't matter if you cast that spell, because you just quaff a potion after the battle. Spell limitations force you to evaluate each and every cast and it's risk/reward.

"again it's a balance issue, if a game gives you ice, fire, earth and other elements then they should have a sense, every enemy should be weak or strong to something, if most of the enemies are neutral to elements then there's no point to them, what to use is just a matter of preference."

I don't view the choice between casting Fireball and Iceball as 'choice', if all I need to do is drink a potion afterwards. That's not 'choice'. You just pick the relevant one and you're done. That's the illusion of choice.

If you only have 5 fireballs left, and you're 6 levels deep in the dungeon, the very act of casting a spell becomes real, true, choice.

What you call 'freedom of choice' I call the opposite -- if I have the mana and can easily replenish said mana, I'll always pick the 'best' spell. That's not real 'choice' as I define it, because my choice becomes a given.

You're not 'choosing' to cast fireball over thunderbolt against an ice demon so much as auto-picking. But if you only have 3 more fireballs, now you are actively choosing every time. The limitation of 'choice' actually creates choice due to scarcity. Abundance of unlimited options, which may seem like 'choice' on the surface, reduces everything to automatic.

"No matter the magic system and the balance there will always be spells that are more useful than others(attack spells will always be used more than resist spells), it's inevitable, that's why a game should not limit choices"

Totally disagree. If you have unlimited spells and unlimited mana (via potions) there's simply no reason to think about what you are casting, you just cast the most obvious spell for the situation (fireball against ice, etc). That's just a given. It's not actual 'choice'.

Actual 'choice' almost requires limitation, there must be a serious consequence. Spell limitation achieves that.

"It would be the same with a well balanced game with limited mana or whatever the system, always using greater fireball is developers' fault, not magics' system."

You're focusing on my example, which is my fault. I should have been clear that's only an example. You will always have a best DPS spell for any given situation. If you are mana rich, and mana is cheap to replace (as it always is) there is little reason not to spam that spell. It really is that simple.

"IIRC even in certain dungeon crawlers with D&D system there's a way to refill spell uses, so it's not that different."

Well, yes, there must be a way to recharge somehow. Some force you to leave the dungeon. Some don't.

But... If it's not that different, why skip this game?

Perhaps the easiest way to explain what I'm getting at... say a game only provides you a single 'Greater Fireball' between rests (so, 1 per battle). Against a huge demon, you'll use it once... and then go through your other spells. In a mana-rich/potion game, you can just spam that 'best spell for this situation' over and over, quaffing potions (or whatever the best dps combo is, it could be spamming Medium Fireball because you get 3 per potion, the specifics are immaterial).

Edit - reread this and realized I'm hitting the same point over and over, in slightly different ways. Don't have the energy to edit to be more concise.

Tizoc

Grim Fandango runs nice on the Vita although some screen transitions cause slowdown. Regardless what little I played was good, but the lack of an auto save isa bit of a bummer, but hey we got too pampered by auto saves in video games as is, so a change in pace is nice.

Also a tip for first timers: Explore every freakin' where pick up every freakin' thing and once you've exhausted everything
use a guide to proceed from the area you're in

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Starting to see this week's sale stuff pop up on the webstore. Just a quick (not complete) rundown:

- Bethesda stuff, DLC for Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas (but not the base games, at least at this point), Doom 3 BFG, Doom Classic Complete, Dishonored, and The Evil Within are all there too though.

- EA stuff. Dragon Age Origins and II, plus a bunch of DLC for both, Battlefield games, sports games, NFS games, etc etc.

- One lone Vita game, but it's Ys: Memories of Celceta. So at least it's something good.

SerTapTap

BTW if you bought the Neptunia Rebirth 2 LE, apparently it's normal for it to say "awaiting payment" still if it's paypal. Annoying that they're shipping it day of release though. I'll probably get it when it's been out a week. At least it was free shipping I guess.

anddo0

Starting to see this week's sale stuff pop up on the webstore. Just a quick (not complete) rundown:

- Bethesda stuff, DLC for Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas (but not the base games, at least at this point), Doom 3 BFG, Doom Classic Complete, Dishonored, and The Evil Within are all there too though.

- EA stuff. Dragon Age Origins and II, plus a bunch of DLC for both, Battlefield games, sports games, NFS games, etc etc.

- One lone Vita game, but it's Ys: Memories of Celceta. So at least it's something good.

why isn't Crysis 1 on sale?

wow NBA Live 15 @ $14.99... still wouldn't buy it.

fFiIkJD.jpg

Re;Birth 2 get. This bubble has to be Idea Factory being aware of the "female anime face" running gag.

SerTapTap

Every time I buy something on the web store, the the "download your games" page gets stuck in endless loading, then I have to force refresh, then it's gone, then the download list doesn't have my new games for an hour or so. Why do I bother.

Also, kind of annoyed that manual "purchases" are still required for cross buy/season pass stuff. I had to "buy" 7 things today, 5 were Driveclub season pass entitlements and 2 were the other 2/3rds of the Grim Fandango preorder I made days ago.

Re;Birth 2 get. This bubble has to be Idea Factory being aware of the "female anime face" running gag.

More like Idea factory knowing people like neps. PP is also neptune. Face is a bit overly close to Neptune's though.

SerTapTap

I was like "what should be wrong with this" until I got to comment #9 and onwards

aw shit

Same. But it's about what I expected before I clicked. Every @playstation tweet about an indie has people bitching about "waaaa SNES grayfix on muh pee ess fur"

Top Bottom