• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not the consensus's fault that when they started charging for plus the games went from full releases of actual retail games to cheap indies they could get 17 years ago on Steam!

anddo0

I love indies. I won't bash Sony.

However. If you've been a PS3 owner through most of it's cycle, and have been subbed to PS+ prior to PS4. It's hard to argue the perceived value of PS+ hasn't greatly diminished. I have to agree with Man God. The offerings have shifted towards the indie side, and as it stands only late adopters of PS4 will truly benefit from full retail releases. All we early adopters can truly hope for are some high quality digital releases in the vain of Transistor and Child of Light. Other than that you'd be hard pressed to find full retail games that haven't already been experienced by current owners. We certainly aren't going to get $60 games for free anytime soon. Sony is in a bit of a bind with this one.

antibolo

Banned
The problem is that they shifted from quality to quantity. 6 games per month is too much, they can't give retail games anymore because it would just be unsustainable.

SerTapTap

However. If you've been a PS3 owner through most of it's cycle, and have been subbed to PS+ prior to PS4. It's hard to argue the perceived value of PS+ hasn't greatly diminished. I have to agree with Man God. The offerings have shifted towards the indie side, and as it stands only late adopters of PS4 will truly benefit from full retail releases. All we early adopters can truly hope for are some high quality digital releases in the vain of Transistor and Child of Light. Other than that you'd be hard pressed to find full retail games that haven't already been experienced by current owners. We certainly aren't going to get $60 games for free anytime soon. Sony is in a bit of a bind with this one.

...eh? PS3 PS+ clearly had more value to people who didn't already own the games. Sort of the nature of the beast. Already having Injustice when it hit PS+ is no different from already having Just Cause 2 when it hit PS+. PS+ for PS3 did not exist in a magical space where all the games were brand spanking new (actually PS4 is the first time we've had day one PS+ games--yes, indies). AAA games were always old. Often years old, actually.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That and people are already forced into Plus if they want to play online so there's less incentive to get people in.

Before then they had to give more expensive games because that was the main draw. Plus the obvious fact that there are just less PS4 games to give away right now as launch period titles can still make money in the traditional way, so paying off indies is a natural fit.

We'll see if they improve it in a year or two when they drop PS3 (maybe Vita as well) and have a bigger back catalog to use.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What do you expect them to do? Retail games aren't going to be given away that quickly. What publisher is going to give their games away quickly like that? It takes time. Here's the deal with PS Plus, and it has always been the deal. You get retail games that have been out a fair while and you get indies both new and old. PS4 has now reached a point where they can start to give those early PS4 retail titles out. Injustice and First Light the last couple months. Probably some more launch window titles in the coming months.

Expecting new retail titles is unrealistic. Indies have good reason to give their games away early. They need the exposure and any money they may recieve from Sony will be worth it to them. Big publishers don't have those reasons to give their games away early.

Expectations have been ridiculous. Retail games were always going to come in time. In the meantime they've been giving away some fucking fantastic indie titles on PS4. Not to mention that so many people just write off the indies they give away despite their quality. People assume it's shit because it's 2D or whatever. But quite frankly the majority of the indies they've given away are of a higher quality than the retail titles they'll probably be giving away over the next few months. People just don't want to know.

And besides, look at all the indie hate when it's not even related to PS Plus. People in that PS Blog post are actually asking those kind of games to die already. It's pretty disgusting. Like the mere existence of smaller indie titles on the system devalues the entire console. That's actually what people think. If everybody thought like that it would be pretty damn harmful to the industry in general. With the death of mid tier games, indies are pretty much all we have apart from the big AAA blockbusters these days. WIth how expensive games are to make these days it's no wonder very few publishers take risks and get really creative with their games. At least we have that on the indie scene. If these commenters had their way we wouldn't even have those on consoles today.

Vitagaf? NFS bundle on sale and I just bought regular NFS in the last sale. Chances of them giving me a refund? Letting me upgrade for the price difference? Anything?

If I like 2 out of the 6 games available each month I'm happy and consider it getting my money's worth. And that's not even counting the additional discounts on sales.

Yes it changed, but the value is still there for 4€ a month. They can't give you multiple AAA games each month forever and I'd rather they didn't, honestly.

Auctopus

Yeah, "I DIDN"T PAY $700 FOR A SYSTEM TO KNOW ABOUT GAMES I'M TOO STUPID TO LIKE AND DONT EVEN HAVE TO BUY IF I DONT WANT TO" and "I PAID $60 FOR PS+ SO GIMME FOUR BRAND NEW $60 AAA GAMES A MONTH FOR 12 MONTHS" is a cancer in gaming. It's how many people think though, and I Wanna Be the Guy is right about GAF threads being just as bad as a comment section gutter sometimes.

What about Neptunia PP? Don't you have that one?

I still have a few obvious holes in the library, and that's one of them.

wow NBA Live 15 @ $14.99... still wouldn't buy it.

I did buy it for around that before and I wouldn't recommend it. It really does suck.

NFL Blitz is not Blitz 99 but it is a lot of fun.

OhUI35t.png

What does "Disc Only" mean? I can't buy it?

SerTapTap

What does "Disc Only" mean? I can't buy it?

As absurd as this is, yes, there are still PS3 games, still NEW PS3 games even, without digital releases of any sort. KH2.5 HD is the most recent and may (or may not) be the last

I still have a few obvious holes in the library, and that's one of them.

You missed the NISA store selling it for $20 (and a bunch of other deals at the same time)

You missed the NISA store selling it for $20 (and a bunch of other deals at the same time)

Yeah, I remember that. It was around when I was buying tons of other stuff. I usually see it for $30 anyway, no big loss. Just gotta remember not to let the stuff I'm missing get too far out to where the prices are going up instead of down or staying the same.

SerTapTap

Why is this in the EA sale?

Oh, it is? Super weird, DLC maybe?

New sales are listed on the blog now
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/27/playstation-store-update-378/#sf7144696

The fuck happened to additional plus discounts? I had a feeling this wasn't only a thing because of the voucher.

They're publisher sales, maybe the pubs said no. There weren't always PS+ discounts on top of all sales (just usually, in recent memory anyway)

Shizuka

Oh, Ys: Memories of Celceta for $20 is a price change, not a sale. Even better for those that want the game but can't afford it right now.

quabba

So the blog post lists Ys as a price drop, meaning I dont have to buy it this week right?

Im playing Oath right now and I already own Seven to play after that so id rather not buy Celeta until im ready to play it

Oh, it is? Super weird, DLC maybe?

They're publisher sales, maybe the pubs said no. There weren't always PS+ discounts on top of all sales (just usually, in recent memory anyway)

I always though the PS+ discount came entirely out of Sony's pocket. It often was 30%, which is exactly the cut a DD service usually takes. Last EA sale in Sep 2014, all games had PS+ discounts. This time, none.

Premature theory: PS+ discounts are a thing of the past and PS+ members get a single 10% voucher each month (maybe week if they're nice) that works like the one they had this weekend.

SerTapTap

My Little Pony avatars are finally here!

The age of Xbox is done

I always though the PS+ discount came entirely out of Sony's pocket. It often was 30%, which is exactly the cut a DD service usually takes. Last EA sale in Sep 2014, all games had PS+ discounts. This time, none.

Premature theory: PS+ discounts are a thing of the past and PS+ members get a single 10% voucher each month (maybe week if they're nice) that works like the one they had this weekend.

Eh I doubt it. They've been wildly varying discounts, from 10% on release to extra 50% off during sales.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace On PSnow? Nice, I always wanted to try it since I enjoyed the vita version of the original (but never bought ace). Time to use that 7 day trial

Massa

The value of PS+ has greatly increased for me. Retail games I can play for free with smart trading and deals. Digital only titles not so much, you need a good deal to play them and PS+ gives it right out of the bat.

I still find it incredible that we got games such as Velocity 2X, BoI: Rebirth and Don't Starve for free on DAY 1. Those three alone paid for my subscription.

In any case, if you're unhappy with the service it's fine to give your own feedback. Just don't be a freaking man child about it, complaining in completely unrelated game topics.

autoduelist

Vitagaf? NFS bundle on sale and I just bought regular NFS in the last sale. Chances of them giving me a refund? Letting me upgrade for the price difference? Anything?

I'm debating calling Sony over this too. Super annoying.

New sales are listed on the blog now
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/27/playstation-store-update-378/#sf7144696

The fuck happened to additional plus discounts? I had a feeling this wasn't only a thing because of the voucher.

Publisher control sales. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the voucher; I can't even think of a reason the two events would be connected.

Can't swear as to how ps+ discounts work, but Sony simply eating the difference doesn't seem like it would make sense given the depth and breadth of ps+ discounts in the past. I think you're definitely being premature -- afterall, plenty of games this week do have a ps+ discount. Switching to the coupon simply doesn't make much sense for anyone - us, Sony, or publishers.

Publisher control sales. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the voucher; I can't even think of a reason the two events would be connected.

Can't swear as to how ps+ discounts work, but Sony simply eating the difference doesn't seem like it would make sense given the depth and breadth of ps+ discounts in the past. I think you're definitely being premature -- afterall, plenty of games this week do have a ps+ discount. Switching to the coupon simply doesn't make much sense for anyone - us, Sony, or publishers.
Yeah publishers control sales, but as you said, we don't know how PS+ discounts work. In the PC DD space, it is not unusual to have stores that offer unlimited 20-30% off discount vouchers on top of publisher dictated sales. 30% is the usual cut for the vendor, so the vendor decides to recieve a smaller cut in an attempt to make its store more attractive. I can see the same logic for Sony and PS+ discounts, to make PS+ attractive and lock people into their system. I don't know if that's the case, but I know that PS+ disounts aren't just a friendly gesture by Sony. It's a calculated effort to get people to subscribe, and it's less necessary now with the online paywall.

I had the idea of PS+ vouchers floating in my head after Sony added the ability to enter discount codes without saying a word some time ago. It's just speculation, but I don't think it's impossible.

Shizuka

Exchanged my Vita filter after almost three years with the previous one. Since it's the HORI one from launch, it was easy to apply it and it looks flawless now.

SerTapTap

Got my SSHD so I could set up this little number. Can't see the sexy geometric shapes from phone camera picture :(

brb, buying a PS3 to swap avvy.
Will use the missus' PS3.

edit: Not enough money on wallet, fml.

But this surely paves the way for Vita Ponies.

I might be tempted by a theme but only if they stop using the completely ancient and no longer accurate pre-release art for Rarity

Also how do you guys even survive only buying PSN wallet cards and apparently also never buying them

Shizuka

It's funny to see NISA streaming Tokyo Twilight. They want to show off the game, but it's mostly a visual novel, so the guy running the stream is just skipping most of the dialogue. What's the point to do that, if you're trying to sell people a visual novel?

Maid

Banned
It's funny to see NISA streaming Tokyo Twilight. They want to show off the game, but it's mostly a visual novel, so the guy running the stream is just skipping most of the dialogue. What's the point to do that, if you're trying to sell people a visual novel?

There is always a risk of spoiler so I don't really know who would want to show off a visual novel.

maouvin

Also how do you guys even survive only buying PSN wallet cards and apparently also never buying them

Oh, it's just that I spent my last wallet money last week and won't buy another card just to grab some not-so-great avatars. And honestly, I'd be very happy if I only feel the need to get more cards when Kiwami launches, but heh.

Also I see them sexy geometric shapes on the PS4, where are they from?

SerTapTap

Oh, it's just that I spent my last wallet money last week and won't buy another card just to grab some not-so-great avatars. And honestly, I'd be very happy if I only feel the need to get more cards when Kiwami launches, but heh.

Also I see them sexy geometric shapes on the PS4, where are they from?

Did you put a skin on your PS4? It looks nice.

It's the 20th anniversary PS4, you just can't see the # emblem in that shot

Maid

Banned
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II adds new company character group.

S-sha (voiced by Maaya Uchida) – Clearly resembles Square Enix. A bad-mouthed, cool beauty apathetic about everything. She failed as a filmmaker and had a run in with death at one point.
B-sha (voiced by Ayana Taketatsu) – Clearly resembles Bandai Namco. A toy vendor and girl who loves money above all. She demands small sums of money for every little thing.
K-sha (voiced by Rina Hidaka) – Clearly resembles Konami. A girl attending the girls’ school on Lastation. She enjoys music, both as a listener and a performer, and when she has a gun on her, her personality resembles that of a war veteran.
C-sha (voiced by Haruka Tomatsu) – Clearly resembles Capcom. The leader of the Gold Third. Contrary to her appearance, she’s very gluttonous and has no power when she’s hungry.

Shots fired. Lol.

Jagxyz

Got my first platinum!

Zero Escape : Virtue's Last Reward

Not the most impressive game to plat, but I'm happy nonetheless :)

Top Bottom