• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

ZeroAKA

ibubWXwd7NiO06.png

Game of the Month voting starts today! Please vote for one Vita/PS4/PS3 game that was released in January. You can either PM me on GAF (which I would prefer) or tweet/DM me on Twitter (@whoiszero). Format the PM as such:
Subject: PSN GotM - <insert game title here>
Body: (optional - brief comment on why should people play this game or why this game deserves to be GotM)
Any incorrectly formatted PMs may be ignored. Good luck!

TotP: Buy Ys Celceta, which is now $20 after the price drop.

Just finished Persona 3 Portable and whoa it's really really good! And the music, my god, can't stop listening to the soundtrack, 10/10. I can't wait to buy a Vita and play Persona 4 Golden, it's definitely gonna be my first Vita game. I can't believe I overlooked this series all this time especially being the PSP my favorite system. Are the first Persona games worth playing on the PSP? Because from what I read online, Persona 3 was the game that really got the series started.

kng3025

Just finished Persona 3 Portable and whoa it's really really good! And the music, my god, can't stop listening to the soundtrack, 10/10. I can't wait to buy a Vita and play Persona 4 Golden, it's definitely gonna be my first Vita game. I can't believe I overlooked this series all this time especially being the PSP my favorite system. Are the first Persona games worth playing on the PSP? Because from what I read online, Persona 3 was the game that really got the series started.

Congrats man, I really enjoyed the game myself. Was my first foray into the Persona series, and couldn't believe I overlooked the series too. Haven't played the first two games, but I heard they aren't like 3/4 but probably still worth a try..I'm currently playing 4G and I'm getting the same feeling I had when playing p3p. Definitely get a Vita and P4!
like right now. Stop reading this, leave your house, get a Vita, get P4G,then prepare to never leave your house again

Condom

Got Feeedom Wars in anticipation on MH4U, it's quite a fun game. Played some online too and it's not bad at all (steered off it because of the criticism at launch).

It gives off strong Phantasy Star vibes to me.

VLiberty

It's not the consensus's fault that when they started charging for plus the games went from full releases of actual retail games to cheap indies they could get 17 years ago on Steam!

That's exactly what I meant when I said that every time I read "indies I could get 65kk years ago" I can't tell if they're joke post or not.

ibubWXwd7NiO06.png

Game of the Month voting starts today! Please vote for one Vita/PS4/PS3 game that was released in January. You can either PM me on GAF (which I would prefer) or tweet/DM me on Twitter (@whoiszero). Format the PM as such:

TotP: Buy Ys Celceta, which is now $20 after the price drop.

Can I vote for a PSP game?

Support for YouTube and Maps apps on PS Vita is ending. More info below.
All features of the [Maps] application and some features of the [near] application will be disabled with the PlayStation®Vita system software update planned on March, 2015.

Functionalities of the applications will be removed automatically once users update their PlayStation®Vita.

The disablement of features will not affect gameplay.
The YouTube application for PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) will no longer be supported after 20 April 2015, and the application will cease to be available for download from PlayStation®Store on 28 January, 2015.

Users can continue to enjoy YouTube via the "Browser" application, and will be able to access their YouTube data, such as playlists and channels, by signing in to the same Google account via the "Browser" app and on other devices. (http://m.youtube.com)
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/560347553724919808

RIP in peace

Don't go into the thread if you don't want to be sad
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=980978

They're having a funeral in there. :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Since you quoted oddly, I can't quote well either -- your comments in quotes.

"Why do you think so? In a battle your aim should be to beat enemies asap with the cheapest cost possible, weak spells are suited for weak enemies"

Perhaps I'm not being clear -- obviously you're going to use weaker spells against rats, etc. And obviously you use your 'Ice Storm' against fire dragons, and your 'Fire Storm' against Evil Snowmen. That's not what I'm talking about... that's still just picking your most relevant DPS (or buff/debuff) spell against any given enemy or mob of enemies.

That quickly becomes rote. You use the most relevant spell, quaff a potion, and use it again. And again. Where ever necessary, and without thought to scarcity. Why use a thunderbolt against that Ice Giant when you're obviously just going to use Greater Fireball? Spell quantity limitations force you to be very selective, and often use spells that might not be the 'best' for a given situation. If you only have 1 Greater Fireball left, do you use it against that Ice Giant? Or save it for a later enemy? Do you use a Thunderbolt against the Fire Demon because you really need to damage him and you're out of (or don't want to waste) Ice spells? Or just risk letting your melee characters whittle him down?

In a mana based game, of course you use the best spell available (in this case your elemental spell of choice), then you quaff a potion, no big deal. Ice Storm, Thunderbolt, etc, are 'options', but not 'choices' --- that is, the choice is obvious.

"imo a well balanced game without mana potions would have anti poison spells or potions, not both because having both would defeat the purpose of not having mana potions"

Many games have scrolls and potions that emulate important spells. You have antidotes to use for 'remove poison' spell, a Phoenix Down type item (or church) as well as revive spells... many games also sell scrolls so non-magic users can 'cast' limited spells. And then you have 'horns of fire' or 'swords of laser' to further emulate magic.

There are very, very few games that don't have easy to replenish mana points in mana based games. The only one I can actively think of is Bard's Tale 3, in fact... though I'm sure there are more, where you had to wait 'real time' for mana to restore. All the rest I can think of have potions or ways to easily rest, though I may be forgetting some others.

However, that's sort of the point -- limiting mana forces hard choices. I like that. So I'm not criticizing those games at all, merely pointing out that in the vast majority of mana based games your spell casters are effectively mana-rich by mid game due to stockpiling potions. And once you are mana-rich, there's little need to conserve mana or put much thought into what spells to cast/not cast.

"Again the game should give you a motivation to use a spell, why should i use the greater fireball in a dungeon full of weak enemies with low resistance to ice?"

See my first response... I made the mistake of assuming that was a 'given' in making my point -- obviously you use 'Ice Storm' or 'Fire Storm' where appropriate. But that is not real choice between spells, it's just rote behavior.

The issue is purely that it doesn't matter if you cast that spell, because you just quaff a potion after the battle. Spell limitations force you to evaluate each and every cast and it's risk/reward.

"again it's a balance issue, if a game gives you ice, fire, earth and other elements then they should have a sense, every enemy should be weak or strong to something, if most of the enemies are neutral to elements then there's no point to them, what to use is just a matter of preference."

I don't view the choice between casting Fireball and Iceball as 'choice', if all I need to do is drink a potion afterwards. That's not 'choice'. You just pick the relevant one and you're done. That's the illusion of choice.

If you only have 5 fireballs left, and you're 6 levels deep in the dungeon, the very act of casting a spell becomes real, true, choice.

What you call 'freedom of choice' I call the opposite -- if I have the mana and can easily replenish said mana, I'll always pick the 'best' spell. That's not real 'choice' as I define it, because my choice becomes a given.

"No matter the magic system and the balance there will always be spells that are more useful than others(attack spells will always be used more than resist spells), it's inevitable, that's why a game should not limit choices"

Totally disagree. If you have unlimited spells and unlimited mana (via potions) there's simply no reason to think about what you are casting, you just cast the most obvious spell for the situation (fireball against ice, etc). That's just a given. It's not actual 'choice'.

Actual 'choice' almost requires limitation, there must be a serious consequence. Spell limitation achieves that.

"It would be the same with a well balanced game with limited mana or whatever the system, always using greater fireball is developers' fault, not magics' system."

You're focusing on my example, which is my fault. I should have been clear that's only an example. You will always have a best DPS spell for any given situation. If you are mana rich, and mana is cheap to replace (as it always is) there is little reason not to spam that spell. It really is that simple.

"IIRC even in certain dungeon crawlers with D&D system there's a way to refill spell uses, so it's not that different."

Well, yes, there must be a way to recharge somehow. Some force you to leave the dungeon. Some don't.

But... If it's not that different, why skip this game?

Perhaps the easiest way to explain what I'm getting at... say a game only provides you a single 'Greater Fireball' between rests (so, 1 per battle). Against a huge demon, you'll use it once... and then go through your other spells. In a mana-rich/potion game, you can just spam that 'best spell for this situation' over and over, quaffing potions (or whatever the best dps combo is, it could be spamming Medium Fireball because you get 3 per potion, the specifics are immaterial).
I was obviously not clear, all that i said was referring to an imaginary mana based game without potions and items that emulate spells effects, if you re-read my post with that in mind it will make sense.

In a game like that you can choose freely what to use, but the mana cannot be replenished so the dilemma of using a spell or not is there, that's why you should choose wisely the right spell for the right situation, if you cast an expensive greater fireball you won't be able to cast a greater whatever later and in general you will be able to cast other spells few times, this system would be even more punishing that the D&D one because the use of a spell directly affects the number of uses of all the spells, unlike the D&D system.

The D&D system also kills the immersion for me, i'm no more able to cast lesser fireballs but i'm able to cast greater fireballs? What? Use the power you have for greater fireballs to cast lesser fireballs! That happens because spells are conceived as scrolls or even better as various kinds of firearms and spells usage are conceived as compatible bullets, level 1 spells can be imagined as various types of guns and spells usage are the gun bullets, if you finish gun bullets you can still use bazookas, but that's not how i conceive magic!
It's like having a limited inventory filled with items you didn't choose without the chance to avoid enemies, in games like xcom for example you have a limited inventory but they make you choose what to bring with you, are they not strategic? Returning in the rpg space, if i'm going into a lava level and you give me limits then let me get rid of fire spells so i can make space for ice spells.

Don't forget that even without potion limitations games can be hard, without mana potions they would be impossible, it means that they are designed with that in mind, so they are balanced.

Has this been posted yet? Apologies if it has. Adventure/Strategy kickstarter with a Vita stretch goal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43328422/this-is-the-police

Sounds pretty cool actually.
It looks interesting indeed.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/560347553724919808

RIP in peace

Don't go into the thread if you don't want to be sad
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=980978

They're having a funeral in there. :(
WHAT? I understand Maps and Near, but Youtube? I use the Youtube app often!

maouvin

Yes!
I was playing it yesterday thinking it would be nice to have some new levels (I've beaten all of them). And today there is an update with new levels. Awesome.

That's badass. All that without spending a coin on IAPs? I'm finding it hard to progress through the 3rd world with my level 4 army, lol.
Guess farming crystals bit by bit is the way to go, aye?

That's badass. All that without spending a coin on IAPs? I'm finding it hard to progress through the 3rd world with my level 4 army, lol.
Guess farming crystals bit by bit is the way to go, aye?

€0 spended, a bit of crystal farming, but also using my power-ups at the right moment. I already played the Android version before this, that's also an advantage.

deadfolk

You're just taunting me, aren't you? I'm desperately trying to get to the end of P3P. I don't know if it's because I only finished P4G in December, but I'm just not feeling this one as much.

Shizuka

ibubWXwd7NiO06.png

Ayesha Plus, here I go!

grimmiq

I haven't had a PS3 for a while now, but have still been "purchasing" the PS+ games..Is there a way to sort or identify which are actually playable on PS3? Things like Dynasty Warriors Next are showing as playable on PS3 despite being Vita exclusives..Don't want to waste time and download cap downloading games and then having to delete them immediately because they're Vita only.

You're just taunting me, aren't you? I'm desperately trying to get to the end of P3P. I don't know if it's because I only finished P4G in December, but I'm just not feeling this one as much.

It is my most favorite Persona game, I did play it before P4G though. I wonder if my opinion would be different if it was the other way around.

VLiberty

Steam wasn't around 17 years ago...

You never know, people love to use hyperboles.

Btw sorry, as I said those posts are starting to become so ridiculous that it's kinda hard to separate posts that look like a joke from actual joke posts.

edit: I'm probably voting Joe Danger 2 this month(if I'll remember to do so...). I haven't played it but apparently it's a great port and I loved the first game, which, on Vita, was completely overlooked as well.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You never know, people love to use hyperboles.

Btw sorry, as I said those posts are starting to become so ridiculous that it's kinda hard to separate posts that look like a joke from actual joke posts.

edit: I'm probably voting Joe Danger 2 this month(if I'll remember to do so...). I haven't played it but apparently it's a great port and I loved the first game, which, on Vita, was completely overlooked as well.
I have JD2 on PS3 and it's absolutely awful compared to the first. Does anyone know if the Vita version has better load times?

deadfolk

It is my most favorite Persona game, I did play it before P4G though. I wonder if my opinion would be different if it was the other way around.

Possibly. What eventually sold me on P4G were the characters, and there's definitely some overlap in the archetypes.

Junpei fulfils the same role as Yosuke
Aigis <-> Teddie
etc...

They're not exactly 1:1, but they're similar enough that I don't find the P3 characters as interesting/endearing as the P4 ones. Looking forward to getting Persona Q, though.

Megauap

Just received a Playstation (Spain) survey about various things and this was one of the questions:

YicwUP4.png

The options in order are:
- More free games
- More varied free games
- Increased cloud space
- More variety of promotions and discounts
- More exclusive alpha and beta versions of upcoming games
- Others (specify) ...

I did my part GAF!

They also asked me if I play on PC (which I do) and why do I play on it, would I play on PC anymore if I had a PS4 (lolwat.gif) and what would make me buy a PS4.

Possibly. What eventually sold me on P4G were the characters, and there's definitely some overlap in the archetypes.

Junpei fulfils the same role as Yosuke
Aigis <-> Teddie
etc...

They're not exactly 1:1, but they're similar enough that I don't find the P3 characters as interesting/endearing as the P4 ones. Looking forward to getting Persona Q, though.

It is pretty normal to hear this, usually folks tend to like the first persona game they played the most.

SerTapTap

Started Grim Fandango with tank controls. It's kind of hilarious how any sudden movements make it look like Manny has no control over his body. I guess that's why most tank control games don't let you run or turn quite that fast.

It's cross-save, right? I started on Vita but only because the PS4 was downloading 40 games at once

Just nabbed myself a Freedom Wars platinum, time to move on to Battle of Z. :)

The bravest avatar

antibolo

Banned
I mean, yes you can, but compared to the native application it's hardly a worthwhile substitute.
Edit:
Haha, if only.

I wonder if they'll update the app to redirect you to the web browser or just leave it as is until it's no longer compatible. I'm fine with the latter I guess.

Oh no you've just given me WebOS flashbacks

Maid

Banned
So guys, I need one more purchase for my February, aside from Neptunia Rebirth 2. Criminal Girls or Neptunia Noire?

Maid

Banned
I'd go with Noire. CG doesn't seem to be something I'd buy outside of a flash sale.

I'm not sure, since I heard the gameplay is interesting, and Monster Monpiece has proven that I need people's impression than judging the game based on its look.

Top Bottom