• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | November 2014

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The only genres I really think benefit from it are FPS/TPS or adventure/rpg games with similar perspectives,
which tend not to be terribly common on handhelds.
You can make the case that they're not common because of the dual analogs, but given that even with the vita, shooters control pretty poorly, I think it's just not a genre suited to the medium.

I think they are not common in handhelds because there is no dual analogue on the 3DS. There are many, many games on the Vita that makes explicit use of the 2nd stick after all. Also, I don't think that specifically excluding entire genres of games that require the 2nd stick, then claiming that the 2nd stkicks are not important, really strengthens your argument.

Also, shooters control just fine on the vita from my experience. Not as good as a console controller, but it is better than any handheld before it. Freedom wars for instance has really strong shooter mechanics which are enjoyable. You can't tell me that monster hunting games are not suited for the handheld can you? Impossible to do on the 3DS due to the lack of a stick. Although maybe the new 3DS will have it.

TOTP: Buy Freedom Wars so we can get the sequel goddamit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They made a crapload of FPSs on the DS which has no analog sticks at all. Some of them even sold pretty decently.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Quite a few of the games with CPP support on the 3DS had PSP games in the same franchise that desperately needed a better way to control the camera. Namely Kingdom Hearts:BBS and Monster Hunter. In the case of MH at least without the CPP you still have the lock on camera and the touch screen.

Most of the games on the 3DS work just fine camera wise. Having the bottom touch screen really helps most games that need fine camera control.

I can guarantee that with a second stick to control the camera, almost all games wouldn't bother with using the second screen for camera control. The Vita has a touchscreen, which you can use for camera controls I suppose, but why would you?

Nobody is arguing it doesn't work. You can have camera control with digital buttons, you don't even need a touchscreen. It is just that the 2nd stick is simply the better option. Nintendo seems to agree as well. That is why they are adding that nub.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
PS4 attach rate seems weak in Korea, only 2 games for every machine: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20141124_677362.html

Can't really blame them, though. It's basically been a western console and the majority of those games are available on the triple.

Vita is 6 (or 10? someone who knows better than I should take a look at the second page) for every user

To be fair, attach rate grows with time. But yea, not enough Asian game devs are making games for consoles. All aboard the mobile bandwagon by now. It saddens me to be honest.

autoduelist

The only genres I really think benefit from it are FPS/TPS or adventure/rpg games with similar perspectives, which tend not to be terribly common on handhelds.

The reason those are the genres you think of is because we primarily use the 2nd analog in '3d' games to control the camera. So you're kind of saying "the only games i can think of that would benefit are the games that would benefit". That said, you are missing plenty of genres -- two easy examples would be 3d platformers like spyro/ratchet/tearaway (though maybe you include that in 'adventure'?, and obvious stuff like dual stick shooters. I mean, any 3d game benefits, and many 2d games benefit. That's huge.

I don't think the importance of lacking the primary control mechanism for certain genres being largely responsible for their underrepresentation on handhelds can be understated.

SerTapTap

Dual analogs are by far the best feature of the Vita and it's completely outrageous that a gen and a half after the PSP's "need two analog nubs" woes Nintendo still doesn't even have two proper circle pads, let alone analogs. Hardly the only great thing about the Vita, but it's probably the single most significant leap over any other portable device.

RE attach rates: is that still physical only? Like 90% of my library on any modern console is missing if you only look at physical games (and mostly because of digital only games)

Takao

Banned
Might want to hold off on that Advanced Front Wars PSM purchase. Looks like there will be a sale this week: https://twitter.com/FrontWars/status/536691174724362241

Seems the higher price is due to no IAPs on PSM and the developer misunderstanding PSM's pricing structure.*

*I see this a lot with PSM. Devs aren't aware that the price they give to Sony is a wholesale price not the retail price. Sony adds their 30% cut on top of the wholesale price to create the retail price. Devs have to do the math on their own.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Might want to hold off on that Advanced Front Wars PSM purchase. Looks like there will be a sale this week: https://twitter.com/FrontWars/status/536691174724362241

Seems the higher price is due to no IAPs on PSM and the developer misunderstanding PSM's pricing structure.*

*I see this a lot with PSM. Devs aren't aware that the price they give to Sony is a wholesale price not the retail price. Sony adds their 30% cut on top of the wholesale price to create the retail price. Devs have to do the math on their own.
Is the game actually good? I may buy it because I liked advance wars back in the day.

Takao

Banned
I didn't buy it since $7 is too much for a PSM game I've never heard of.

I realize that sounds kind of insane ($7 isn't a lot of money), but it makes sense once you look at the kind of content on PSM.

SerTapTap

Of all the things not to be clear about, eesh.

I must admit I generally ignore PSM as well...

nampad

Dual analogs are by far the best feature of the Vita and it's completely outrageous that a gen and a half after the PSP's "need two analog nubs" woes Nintendo still doesn't even have two proper circle pads, let alone analogs. Hardly the only great thing about the Vita, but it's probably the single most significant leap over any other portable device.

RE attach rates: is that still physical only? Like 90% of my library on any modern console is missing if you only look at physical games (and mostly because of digital only games)

I feel the same. Couldn't really get into the PSP and used it more as an emulator machine or for PlayTV. The analog nub wasn't good and missing the second one was horrible. Camera controls are one of my pet peeves in games so it wasn't surprising.

Is the game actually good? I may buy it because I liked advance wars back in the day.

The reviews for the mobile version are mixed: http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/front-wars
Considering, that mobile reviews score better than other platforms, I would be weary.

Talking about PSM, I still want to buy Boot Hill Heroes but I was burned by so many PSM releases coming natively to the Vita before. Also, only the first part is released so far.

SerTapTap

Thinking of getting a Vita 2000 just in case the BL2 bundle disapears and $200 stays the stock price. Is there even any known black friday deals to be aware of? Too many black friday threads. I could really use a Vita 2000 and a white DS4, maybe a 64GB Vita card if it's actually cheaper than usual anyway.

I feel the same. Couldn't really get into the PSP and used it more as an emulator machine or for PlayTV. The analog nub wasn't good and missing the second one was horrible. Camera controls are one of my pet peeves in games so it wasn't surprising.

By some absurd twist of fate, some games that ridiculously mapped camera controls to the d pad are moderately playable on Vita by mapping the right stick to camera. It's very clear you're using a digital camera control which is pretty poor, but the games are far more playable now.

No, most of them have physical controls.

I feel I should note, there IS quite a few good games in PSM, I tried the free PSM games and all of them are pretty good, and I think there's also that Eufloria side-game and Rydymkpsl or whatever, that unpronouncable tower defense game. They all played like solid but very low budget 1 man production team affairs, which isn't the worst thing in the world. But the store section is tucked away, it's got that dreadful mobile word in there, and it DOES have some shovelware in it so I don't usually give it much mind. And it has that unfortunate taste of "not a proper game" like Minis did on PSP/PS3.

Speaking of Minis...Vector TD is almost the only one I wanted on Vita (that doesn't have a native Vita game now)...it's one of the few(?) that doesn't work on Vita of course. I played a lot of the flash version, it'd be great on the go. Alas...

Tapejara

Playing The Evil Within and I'm really liking it. Not a fan of the 1hit kill bosses, though.

I still have to beat it (I'm at the start of chapter five), but it's such a taxing game for me. As much as I adore what I've played so far, it can just be really stressful lol.

SerTapTap

1 hit bosses? Noooo I hate that crap in the resi games. I figure I'll get that when it's cheap
and on PC because it sounds jank as fuck on console/in general

edit:
Anyone else use voice commands on PS4? Any good ones I might be unaware of? I've found it's an alright way to select games not in the quick list, and I do lots of "Playstation, capture gallery!". I like that you don't have to say the full name, though "playstation, isaac" doesn't work. Also my cat always thinks I'm talking to him and meows back when I say a command.

Playstation!
Meow?
Binding of Isaac
Mow!
Start
Mowf

There are dozens of awful Advance Wars clones out there.

I played a couple of PS Mobile ones.

Front Wars: World War II Turn-Based Strategy Game - This game is a very stripped down version of Advanced Wars. A lot less units and less interesting maps. The maps are too huge compared to Advanced Wars and ever map is a huge slog. Has no frills, story, or even charm to it. Technically it is really well done, very good interface, easy on the eyes, and the AI is surprising good. There is async multiplayer but I found it a bit confusing to get a match going. I gave up on it as I found it not very interesting and just made me want to play Advanced Wars.

6/10

HAOKKCn.jpg

Super Tank Poker - This game is technically not as good as Front Wars but it much more interesting. This actually has something unique about it in that you battle by playing 5 card draw poker. You get a better cards depending on units. Yeah it is really fun even when it poorly explains it self, the interface is terrible, and it isn't very good looking but it does try to place it in a story to give it some charm. The biggest thing that is broken is that the range is so huge on units that item placement doesn't really matter. This game seems more of a very interesting concept that needs a lot of polishing to make it into an excellent game.

7/10

SEy3joa.jpg

It is a bit unfair to compare these games, probably created by one person, to Nintendo's Advanced Wars but they really aren't in the same league. Maybe the two developers of these games should get together and plug each other's weakness and make a game that could be special.

So I've plat'd dangronpa 2 and watched the anime of the first season. The only thing i didnt like about the 2nd one was the grind on island mode for the plat. Should i get the 2nd one

Looks like there will be a native Vita and PS4 version of Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender coming out tomorrow. I had fun with the original but I am not sure I will get it depending on new features and price.

Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender - PS Mobile

This game is very much like Defender in presentation. You need to protect cats form being abducted by enemies. Great gameplay and overall look. The problem is that so much happens offscreen. The radar is hard to see on Vita and there is a barely audible "meow" when a cat is being abducted offscreen. Play my Vita mostly with the sound off so it too hard to concentrate on what might be happening offscreen. Still a lot of fun.

7/10

yFuzB31.jpg

Looks like they added directional shooting and bosses. Hopefully they fixed the biggest issue of a better indicator of things happening offscreen.

I really shouldn't have imported from GAME... there's no tracking info at all, and packages go to the leasing office here instead of to the door. Unless I go check everyday and make it seem like I'm waiting for a brick of coke, I'll never have any idea that it arrived.

Ambitious

Every single time I receive a PSN code via email, I gleefully copy the code, open the PSN store in my browser, click on "Redeem Code", put my left hand's fingers on cmd+V for pasting - and silently curse after the page has completed loading.

psnc0k6e.png

Come on, Sony. Why not make a single textfield and automatically insert hyphens?

SerTapTap

Every single time I receive a PSN code via email, I gleefully copy the code, open the PSN store in my browser, click on "Redeem Code", put my left hand's fingers on cmd+V for pasting - and silently curse after the page has completed loading.

Come on, Sony. Why not make a single textfield and automatically insert hyphens?

I do that too. It's actually a great implementation for entering letter by letter, but it should be like Shift Codes on BL2 and accept copy paste too. Or just...have a link that activates the content to my account.

Finally caved in.

Bought SENRAN KAGURA SHINOVI VERSUS - 'Let's Get Physical' Limited Edition

Welcome to the party

Top Bottom