• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | November 2014

nampad

Can anyone sell me on SSD? This sale is the first time it's really tempted me. I was never really able to get into Monster Hunter from demos I've played (or the PSP game from PS+) but I've enjoyed Freedom Wars so far aside from the inane weapon crafting mechanics.

I never could get into Monster Hunter either, it was too slow, sluggish and clunky. Platinumed the original Soul Sacrifice. I think it is better than Freedom Wars, too.

TOTP recommendations:
EU Vitagaffers should get Soul Sacrifice Delta and Gravity Rush from the sale.
Elsewise get Unfinished Swan, Rogue Legacy and Muramasa: Rebirth.

Tizoc

I never understood why Metal Slug always keeps the slowdown. Unlike shmups there's really no positives to it.

M2 only kept it for the arcade perfect aspect. I mean fine you can keep it in but give an option to play without it. The option is n te PS3 ver., that much I'm sure of, but I don't see an option to reduce slowdown on the PSP versions >_<
Might contact Sony or a refund on them...

SerTapTap

M2 only kept it for the arcade perfect aspect. I mean fine you can keep it in but give an option to play without it. The option is n te PS3 ver., that much I'm sure of, but I don't see an option to reduce slowdown on the PSP versions >_<
Might contact Sony or a refund on them...

It's not even an option in the PC version of MS3 that I saw, it's gotta be deliberate

ZeroAKA

iHrxNA0wcrBYN.png

Game of the Month voting has started! Please vote for one Vita/PS4/PS3 game that was released from October 28 onwards. You have one of two options: either PM me on GAF (which I would prefer) or tweet/DM me on Twitter (@whoiszero). Format the PM as such:
Subject: PSN GotM - <insert game title here>
Body: (optional - brief comment on why should people play this game or why this game deserves to be GotM)
Any incorrectly formatted PMs may be ignored. Good luck!

SerTapTap

Anyone tried Transistor and Oddworld on remote play?

Edit: Member!

Transistor works perfectly fine, R2 to start a turn is the only annoyance--uses the default backtouch thing, they really should have switched L1/L2 etc and made the rear touch areas double tall like TLOU:R does, the 1s are never time sensitive but R2 is. You only need it to start a Turn and then have infinite time to set up your moves though, so it's not too bad. L2 is only used inside a turn, so not time sensitive. L3/R3 are unused.

Transistor is SO lovely I really do recommend playing it on a lovely 1080p display though. The compression is apparent against the lovely 2D renderings. Also the lightbar/DS4 speaker use is great in the game. So lovely I'm glad I got on PS4 over PC, price aside

Congrats BTW

Shizuka

I might vote for Bon Appetit as GotM, but I still have to play the game. In the end, I think I'll just abstain from voting for another month.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Went to GameStop and they have Axiom Verge on their demo kiosk. Got through to the second weapon. Pretty good. Definitely going to buy when it comes out unless reviews say it is ridiculously stupid later in the game.

SerTapTap

Went to GameStop and they have Axiom Verge on their demo kiosk. Got through to the second weapon. Pretty good. Definitely going to buy when it comes out unless reviews say it is ridiculously stupid later in the game.

I doubt it will, reaaaallly lookin good so far. We'll see more before launch too, there's supposed to be previews of 25% of the game (i've only played the first so far, which I think is also the store demo, allegedly around 5% of the game)

quabba

Transistor works perfectly fine, R2 to start a turn is the only annoyance--uses the default backtouch thing, they really should have switched L1/L2 etc and made the rear touch areas double tall like TLOU:R does, the 1s are never time sensitive but R2 is. You only need it to start a Turn and then have infinite time to set up your moves though, so it's not too bad. L2 is only used inside a turn, so not time sensitive. L3/R3 are unused.
Congrats BTW

This annoyed the shit out of me but Looking at the patch notes for transistor they have patched to swap the shoulder buttons. I havnt tried it again but it should control perfectly now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I doubt it will, reaaaallly lookin good so far. We'll see more before launch too, there's supposed to be previews of 25% of the game (i've only played the first so far, which I think is also the store demo, allegedly around 5% of the game)
Good, good. Some dude walked by while I was playing and said "that doesn't look like metroid at all" and then wanted to know what it was. I told him and he kind of looked interested. It's definitely a game that captures the look and sound and feel of those older games.

SerTapTap

This annoyed the shit out of me but Looking at the patch notes for transistor they have patched to swap the shoulder buttons. I havnt tried it again but it should control perfectly now.

Oh! You're right, never mind, remoteplay controls are perfect then. But I got that wonky control setup just today...dunno if I was on the old version or if you have to launch the game as a Vita to make it work. It's working now but I'm not sure why it wasn't earlier, closed and restarted just to be sure, now it swapped.

edit: OH! Okay, if you launch the game from Vita the controls are swapped...as long as you play the game. Contining from a PS4 controller will now have the controls swapped. This...is not ideal. They should have just made it a toggle in the Settings.

Good, good. Some dude walked by while I was playing and said "that doesn't look like metroid at all" and then wanted to know what it was. I told him and he kind of looked interested. It's definitely a game that captures the look and sound and feel of those older games.
Yeah, very unabashedly Metroid while still being original sprites instead of looking like a ripoff IMO. Really love the look and the glitchy stuff they're doing too.

Sarcasm

Rainbow moon is a hidden gem to me.

I have never really played a game like this for more than a couple hours before I stopped.

Though don't really understand the sub turn thing cause it seems sometimes I get an extra move while other times I don't.

And this entire weapon vs weapon thing.

Tizoc

Well Metal Slug 1's slowdown isn't an issue since it mainly pops up in the first stage's boss, later stages do have some slow down but it is managable.
Metal Slug 2's is the worst though, slowdown every effin' where! What the heck M2...gonna see if I can get a refund on it, and if so will and get the SEGA Genesis Collection instead, yeah it's 800 MB, but look at what I get from it
3 Golden Axe games
Ecco the Dolphin games
Shinobi 3
Sonic 1 and 2
Phantasy Star 2-4
Ristar
Vectorman 1+2

Also SNK's crazy ass inputs from the old day are just dumb. The novelty has not aged well at all.

Giever

So, I can't really find a better thread to ask this in: Can anyone tell me if there's a way to play PSP games on the Vita in 1:1 resolution?

By that I mean similar to how it's an option to play Gameboy games on the 3DS in their original resolution, rather than stretched out to the size of the screen.

I'm aware that the Vita is exactly double the resolution of the PSP, so it scales perfectly, but it still reveals some ugly aspects of certain games to up the size to that extent, and I actually wouldn't mind the size to be smaller than the original PSP's (which I'm pretty sure it would be at 1:1 on a Vita). It would look a lot sharper with the higher pixel density.

So, is this possible? If so, how? And if not, why not? :(

So, I can't really find a better thread to ask this in: Can anyone tell me if there's a way to play PSP games on the Vita in 1:1 resolution?

By that I mean similar to how it's an option to play Gameboy games on the 3DS in their original resolution, rather than stretched out to the size of the screen.

I'm aware that the Vita is exactly double the resolution of the PSP, so it scales perfectly, but it still reveals some ugly aspects of certain games to up the size to that extent, and I actually wouldn't mind the size to be smaller than the original PSP's (which I'm pretty sure it would be at 1:1 on a Vita). It would look a lot sharper with the higher pixel density.

So, is this possible? If so, how? And if not, why not? :(

Hold the Vita farther from your face.

Xenoflare

Can anyone sell me on SSD? This sale is the first time it's really tempted me. I was never really able to get into Monster Hunter from demos I've played (or the PSP game from PS+) but I've enjoyed Freedom Wars so far aside from the inane weapon crafting mechanics.

I hated MH but loved SS.

SS is faster than MH, it's a lot more action oriented. On harder battles, resource management is also important.

SS is truly the first Vita game that wowed me, I got a vita for P4G, but SS is the first original Vita game that I thoroughly enjoyed.

danowat

Banned
LTTP with the PS4!!!

Can anyone suggest any must have (first party) titles on the PSN?, and also if PS+ is worth the fee?, are the free monthly games usually good?, I assume they aren't retroactive either.

Tizoc

Well from playing the Power Stone collection, I like PS1 more, PS2 needs some getting used to.
The 16:9 ratio is quite interesting so I'll be playing in that ratio instead.

maouvin

What is SSD?

What is SS?

Sarcasm pls
:p

LTTP with the PS4!!!

Can anyone suggest any must have (first party) titles on the PSN?, and also if PS+ is worth the fee?, are the free monthly games usually good?, I assume they aren't retroactive either.

Most people fancy Resogun. It's on sale right now. Check some videos to see if you fancy it.

PS+ for PS4 have been mostly indies until now. The first retail title we get will be Injustice, coming next month.
And if you plan to play online, you'll need PS+ anyway.

Tizoc

"Where on Earth IS GEESE HOWARD?"
Well I know for a fact he's in the city this tournament you are participating in, is taking place :V
Wasn't Fatal Fury 2 among the Neo Geo Station games?

deadfolk

Transistor is SO lovely I really do recommend playing it on a lovely 1080p display though. The compression is apparent against the lovely 2D renderings. Also the lightbar/DS4 speaker use is great in the game. So lovely I'm glad I got on PS4 over PC, price aside

Congrats BTW

I played 90% of transistor via remote play and loved it. Got used to the back touch pad pretty darn fast.

Thanks all. Might finally be time to jump.

nampad

Played the beginning of Akiba's Trip and it has a funny presentation so far, very enjoyable. Can't comment on the gameplay yet but it seems ok. Graphics wise the game looks nice but the framerate doesn't seem to hold up well.

So far, I am satisfied with the purchase. Will add Shinovi Versus later as I can finally top up my PSN account with cheap phone money again.

Tizoc

Man the games in the Capcom Classics collection on PSP seem well emulated, maybe not be the greatest but they are playable just fine.
Captain Commando was sooooooooooooo good, just a shame I can't play it 2+ player unless there are like...3 other dudes with a PSP or Vita with me =_=
Capcpom pls...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
As much as I didnt care for the game too much Ore Shika 2 has a fantastic Vita theme on JPSN

its the current one Im using lol. Kouchin (best character ever) her crayon looking scribblings are awesome.

Tizoc

Well my refund request on Metal Slug 2 PSP has been sent, hope they approve it. In the mean time I'll wait til the 1st of December and grab a game for $9.99, likely SEGA Genesis collection.

Well my refund request on Metal Slug 2 PSP has been sent, hope they approve it. In the mean time I'll wait til the 1st of December and grab a game for $9.99, likely SEGA Genesis collection.

What made you ask for a refund? I got a refund on the PSP Metal Slug games, but I did it over the phone and got lucky with who I talked to... probably submitted my ticket in a positive light by reducing it down to me already owning Anthology like I bought 1 & 2 "by mistake" or something.

Tizoc

What made you ask for a refund? I got a refund on the PSP Metal Slug games, but I did it over the phone and got lucky with who I talked to... probably submitted my ticket in a positive light by reducing it down to me already owning Anthology like I bought 1 & 2 "by mistake" or something.

Sadly MS2 PSP runs really slow, waaaaaaaay too much slowdown, the last straw was in the 3rd stage (the train stage) where everything ran like molasses when lots of soldiers were around. I just couldn't stand playing such a great game with shitty performance like that. Made me actually consider getting MSX downloaded on my Vita gain, yeah it has some missing animation frames but the slowdown wasn't atrocious...

Sadly MS2 PSP runs really slow, waaaaaaaay too much slowdown, the last straw was in the 3rd stage (the train stage) where everything ran like molasses when lots of soldiers were around. I just couldn't stand playing such a great game with shitty performance like that. Made me actually consider getting MSX downloaded on my Vita gain, yeah it has some missing animation frames but the slowdown wasn't atrocious...

Yup. Told y'all it wasn't my imagination.

Anthology is the way to go, just sucks that it's over 700 MB. Not too ridiculous when you think of the original cartridge megs, but it was a lot to manage on an 8GB card early on. I bought MGS1&2 by themselves to try and replace it, but still have my Metal Slug fix, turned out to be a bad idea.

Shock Troopers runs great though.

Tizoc

Yup. Told y'all it wasn't my imagination.

Anthology is the way to go, just sucks that it's over 700 MB. Not too ridiculous when you think of the original cartridge megs, but it was a lot to manage on an 8GB card early on. I bought MGS1&2 by themselves to try and replace it, but still have my Metal Slug fix, turned out to be a bad idea.

Shock Troopers runs great though.

Eh I think I'lls ave Shock Troopers for a sale to be on the safe side ^^;

I'm jut boggled that the PS3 ver. of MS2 runs fine with an option to remove the slowdown, yet the PSP ver doesn't have it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Eh I think I'lls ave Shock Troopers for a sale to be on the safe side ^^;

I'm jut boggled that the PS3 ver. of MS2 runs fine with an option to remove the slowdown, yet the PSP ver doesn't have it.

The PSP does not = the PS3.

Cant really expect the PSP to have the same hardware specs as the PS3, which includes how software is handled.

NotSelf

Hi guys bought my PSTV a week ago just want to know if i'm able to turn on the system with the DS4?

It's able to turn on in standby mode.

Redhood

Thinking of buying a physical copy of DJ MAX but I am not sold on the whole touch thing. Is it doable? Have seen gameplay videos. I kind like the soundtrack.

Top Bottom