• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation trying to grow market by expanding to PC but console remains core market (PS Co-CEO)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUC105XT0Q4A910C2000000/ (paywalled)
Source: reddit

Playstation co-CEO:
"We are trying to increase the overall game market by expanding content to PCs. There is no doubt that home consoles will be the core of our business, but by offering titles for devices other than home consoles, we will reach a wider range of customers."

images

TrebleShot

If they truy believe this then release a USB dongle for the Dualsense so we can have haptics triggers and sound output wirelessly on PC, they even have that PS Link adaptor Im sure it can be repurposed.

Cowards.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If they truy believe this then release a USB dongle for the Dualsense so we can have haptics triggers and sound output wirelessly on PC, they even have that PS Link adaptor Im sure it can be repurposed.

Cowards.

I think they should have put more thought into the PS Link adapter.

Consoles will still be cheaper and obviously there is a large contingent of gamers who do not want to game on PC. Consoles are still better suited for living room gaming. That isn't going to change unless Microsoft makes some drastic changes to Windows.
Of course there will still be some players around. Not everyone is going to make pcs.

But if PS6 is $799, one could just make a PC and play everything there. Its certainly a very compelling option.

My guess is only hardcore 15-20 million fans will remain.

Mr.Phoenix

Removing subsidy from consoles will convince a lot of buyers to go pc route.
You must not have heard of Nintendo.

And secondly, that's a somewhat shortsighted thing to say based on the price of the Pro. That is not a console Sony needs to subsidize, why should they subsidize their premium TOTALLY optional offering? When they have a base model they sell at a loss to break even. Thats like asking them to subsidize a dual-sense controller at retail even though they give you one in the box.

But furthermore, even if the console is sold at a $50 -$100 profit, it would still be cheaper than the PC equivalent by over 40-50%.

Of course there will still be some players around. Not everyone is going to make pcs.

But if PS6 is $799, one could just make a PC and play everything there. Its certainly a very compelling option.

Good luck with that, most people don’t like using PCs, too much mither.

If you do like playing on PC though then fair play.

Last edited:

Bry0

Surely selling games on more platforms will lead to the imminent collapse of the Sony brand. Gaf expert analysts have taught me this important truth. 2 year late ports of exclusives = everyone on earth immediately dies.

Mr.Phoenix

What a bunch of idiots.
Errr...
Go ahead and follow MS off the cliff and then wonder why your business is collapsing.
200.webp

I think their business is far from collapsing, I also thing there are absolutely zero similarities to what they do and what MS is doing/has done. There is a very very very big difference between releasing your games day and date on other platforms and releasing some of them 18-24 months later on other platforms.

And do you really think someone that has only $450 to spend on a gaming platform is going to buy or build a PC and skip the PlayStation because the games may come 2 years later?

You must not have heard of Nintendo.

But furthermore, even if the console is sold at a $50 -$100 profit, it would still be cheaper than the PC equivalent by over 40-50%.
Nintendo success means jack shit. They swing all the way from WiiU to Switch. Its pure luck which side they will fall in the future.

PC/PS/Xbox are more stable platforms with repeat customers. If next Mario / Zelda failed to grab people’s attention, it will be again a languishing platform.

As for PS6 being cheaper, it wont be for long. New GPUs with advanced feature set release every 2 yrs.

Series X was high value platform at launch where it saw most of its sales. These days its match for entry level GPU.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Might as well just go all out and release all games day 1 on PC. Are there really that many PC gamers who will buy a PS5 so they don’t have to wait for the PC port of PlayStation Studios games?

I can’t imagine that would make much of a dent in their console sales or their PS5 game sales. I think that the value proposition + ease of use of consoles are much bigger motivators than “get your hands on Sony’s games a little earlier”

tmlDan

PC's are more expensive and extremely inconvenient, especially gaming PC's.

People like simple, plug in and play.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Errr...

I think their business is far from collapsing, I also thing there are absolutely zero similarities to what they do and what MS is doing/has done. There is a very very very big difference between releasing your games day and date on other platforms and releasing some of them 18-24 months later on other platforms.

And do you really think someone that has only $450 to spend on a gaming platform is going to buy or build a PC and skip the PlayStation because the games may come 2 years later?

People don't understand that two companies can have the same or similar strategy but different execution.

More importantly, I don't think Day 1 PC is what hurt Xbox rather the lack of AAA games and Day 1 GamePass is what hurt them. Day 1 GamePass meant they had to limit their budgets, something that Sony mentioned and were mocked for (again different execution and strategy).

People like to convince themselves that people are clamoring to buy PCs to game rather than consoles, but x,y,z is holding them back. It just isn't true. Consoles have never been the most powerful way to play games. Arcades were always more powerful. PC was always potentially more powerful. Just like handhelds have never been the most powerful way to play. Consoles create a boutique experience that people want. They also offer the best performance for the dollar. That isn't going to change.

That being said Sony realizes gaming isn't just console and they're sleeping on markets by not being involved. That's why they're involved in VR, that's why they're getting involved in PC, and that's why they'll return to handheld, and enter mobile.

Fabieter

It's literally impossible that it doesn't stay the focus.

Their games come to PS over 18 months before showing up on PC, and compared to PC, their games sell on the console by well over a 5:1 average.

All that has to be reversed before anyone can say the PC has become the focus.

Hasn't Xbox taught you anything?

I would argue that consoles are no longer the main focus for Xbox. It's only a matter of time before we see Sony launch a store on PC, which will likely include trophies and digital purchases carrying over. While I doubt cloud gaming will be the primary focus anytime soon, it’s definitely going to become increasingly important over time. With hardware costs rising, many people may prefer cloud gaming for a monthly fee rather than investing in physical consoles. To me, this feels like PR, similar to what we've seen from Phil Spencer.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think this is the best balance that doesn't upset the apple cart too much.

Loyal core PlayStation customers get day 1, new 1st party highly acclaimed titles. And PC players can get it 12-18 months later to push their hardware again as they stop playing balatro, skyrim, minecraft, counter strike and war craft for a few months

Source: https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUC105XT0Q4A910C2000000/ (paywalled)
Source: reddit

Playstation co-CEO:
"We are trying to increase the overall game market by expanding content to PCs. There is no doubt that home consoles will be the core of our business, but by offering titles for devices other than home consoles, we will reach a wider range of customers."

images
Great, same strategy MS is desesperatly trying to do since XB1. Does it work MS?

The wider range of customers is a fallacy. We see PC players don't buy their single player AAA games. They dont. This money is nothing compared to what they do with MTX on their own store. What's happening is that consoles players are fed up about the prices and services and are starting to go to PC ecosystem giving their money to Nvidia, Steam and a bit to Sony. But overall, they are going to lose marketshare and money. Why don't they see it as super obvious is beyond me. I think at this point they are doing whatever their uninformed (western) strategists tell them to do: PC, GAAS, Woke, multiplayer !

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Well duhhh, it's not like they didn't say that since Shawn Layden started talking about their Gaas-Strategy.

In fact, the drama surrounding Concord, the discussion about FairGame$ and Marathon and Gaas in general will only affirm this rhetoric for Sony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom