• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ammogeddon

Okay. I am finally starting to feel a bit queasy and Scavenger's Odyssey is to blame.

I will wait until I have improved my VR legs before coming back to that game.

I had my first proper session on Scavengers odyssey last night and it made me feel sick as a pig. I literally thought I was about to throw up it was that bad. That was the first time I had a negative experience since I picked up VR on Thursday.

It all about moderation and knowing which games affect you most I guess.

Anyone else feels the volume of the headphone jack is too low? I put it all the way up and it was nowhere near enough where I wanted it.

Maybe I should try some other headphones, this was with a pair of Sennheiser over ear open headphones.

My launch bundle comes today!

Just so I have my basses covered.

-PSVR worlds in box
-Demo Disk downloaded on PS4

Anything else I need to DL before starting tonight?

muteki

I was enjoying the VRideo app, sightseeing around Paris.

Really wish it would drop these type of apps in with the rest of the streaming apps (Youtube, Netflix, etc).

That being said, does Youtube support 360 video on other platforms? Should we expect an update anytime soon?

King_Moc

Banned

-PSVR worlds in box

The Playroom VR is free, so grab that if only for Robot Rescue. If you go to the VR section in the store there's a couple of other free bits too. Amulette was a nice VR non-interactive story.

LiK

Not gonna lie, but the new camera does feel cheaper than older one. I dunno, I'll try the older one tonight anyway. I tried both below and above TV with the new camera and has the same drifting issues.

kinggroin

Banned
Having read some of the views on this thread regards using PSVR for watching films etc, I can honestly say I think it does a really good job. I have watched Lego movie and The force awakens and I enjoyed watching them more this way. (I have a 4k hdr tv.) It was like watching a film on 1080p projector.

An OLED one at that.

Was watching a Blu-Ray last night, and when the scene cut to black...everything went pitch black in the HMD. I caught myself grinning

LiK

I'm stunned to see both the core and launch bundles available at Amazon.

I've seen Core available since launch but yea, Bundle was sold out for a while. Maybe they had additional stock from cancellations. I know Best Buy sold out the bundle even after they had some available for a day on launch on their site.

Seems Amazon has 9 left.

Grinchy

Banned
Is it normal that the Demo Disk doesn't let you play Hustle Kings or Syper Hyper Cube??? I only get the option to Buy

It's normal in the sense that that's what everyone is experiencing, but it's not normal that they put those ads on a demo disc masquerading as playable demos.

It's so annoying because Super Hypercube actually has a demo and it was being shown at Best Buy and Gamestop for months. But it's not on the demo disc, yet it pretends to be. And it's $30. Fuck off with that nonsense.

SOLDIER

Made a separate thread about this, but I wasn't getting many replies, so I'll have to defer to here.

Basically, I'm trying to find a place to put the camera so I can play VR games that either require (or strongly suggest) playing while standing. Here are a couple of pictures of my room setup:

Sz6ijxA.jpg

3AbluHM.jpg

I've been using Batman and Job Simulator as tests, and the two common problems I have is that I can't stand far enough to meet their spacing requirements, and in the places where I can stand far enough (the sides of my bed), it can't read my Move controllers when I stretch them out to the sides. There's also the issue where the camera can't read my controllers if I set them to low (like to pick something up).

I think I might have found a working spot. It involves me putting the camera really high up (see the coin jar in the first picture? It's there but with some game cases stacked on top). Would this potentially work as a permanent solution? What I'm really hoping for is the ability to play sitting and standing games without constantly having to fuss with the camera for either scenario.

Tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone been playing a lot of Battlezone? I'm loving the game, but I'm always running out of ammo, and never know what to do next.

It's not like I'm missing my targets either - in the middle missions (on short campaign) I seem to be running out of ammo for both of my weapons mid way through.

Is there a way to generate more ammo in this game? I have to be missing something.

Yea I'm loving Battlezone but I'm crap at it. I haven't managed to complete a campaign yet in about 8 attempts. I keep getting ammo from destroyed enemies but when you run out just use the blaster with infinite ammo. They say use it as a last resort but it gets you out of trouble
Ammo drops from enemies. They look like dark yellow barrels. Pick them up along with blue drops.

To survive a campaign you need to buy more lives with money you earn. Money is seen floating above the large tablet on the right of the cockpit in map mode. You need to buy lives BEFORE you move to a new node.

Your objectives in game are displayed on the tablet to the right, your current weapon to the tablet on the left. Objectives always show on the radar map in front of you.

I haven't run out of ammo yet, tbh, and I'm quite liberal with sending shots down the grid.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
so annoyed the euro demo disc doesn't have half the games...

Download the online version and its only missing one the US got (Gnog).

-PSVR worlds in box

Playroom VR.

Made a separate thread about this, but I wasn't getting many replies, so I'll have to defer to here.

Basically, I'm trying to find a place to put the camera so I can play VR games that either require (or strongly suggest) playing while standing. Here are a couple of pictures of my room setup:

Sz6ijxA.jpg

3AbluHM.jpg

I've been using Batman and Job Simulator as tests, and the two common problems I have is that I can't stand far enough to meet their spacing requirements, and in the places where I can stand far enough (the sides of my bed), it can't read my Move controllers when I stretch them out to the sides. There's also the issue where the camera can't read my controllers if I set them to low (like to pick something up).

I think I might have found a working spot. It involves me putting the camera really high up (see the coin jar in the first picture? It's there but with some game cases stacked on top). Would this potentially work as a permanent solution? What I'm really hoping for is the ability to play sitting and standing games without constantly having to fuss with the camera for either scenario.

Tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
What if you put the camera on the desk behind that chair? So your play space is facing the chair between the bed and the TV?

Rodelero

It's normal in the sense that that's what everyone is experiencing, but it's not normal that they put those ads on a demo disc masquerading as playable demos.

It's so annoying because Super Hypercube actually has a demo and it was being shown at Best Buy and Gamestop for months. But it's not on the demo disc, yet it pretends to be. And it's $30. Fuck off with that nonsense.

SuperHyperCube does actually have a standalone demo to download, at least on the UK Store. The demo is about 60 seconds long.

rafaelr

yeah, that was a bit baffling.
the superhypercube demo is available in the psn store on the full game´s page.

Mendrox

? Super Hypercube has a demo on the PSN. I have it.

rSpooky

To prevent the camera from moving due to cord pull . I quickly fabricated a small device to hold it down more. A small piece of wood with a hole in the back to put the cord through and on the bottom it has two small l brackets to it can lean on the back of the TV edge without falling off. that held stopped the cord from moving left/right but not it pulled up the front due to the weight being all moved to the back I guess. So I added a piece of tape to hold it down on the wooden piece until I can make something better/find a counter weight.

It is now much easier to adjust up/down when my kids play or I sit down etc. without worry it shifting physically.

My only drift I noticed in the VR world "Scavengers Odyssey" and it would go left and right. Very odd.
Loved that game though.. much fun.

D23

Finished scavenger Odyssey last night. I was fine throughout the game but the last boss made me feel queasy and I kept playing it. Which was a mistake me think, still feel a bit nausated right now.

So guys, if you slightly feel motion sickness.. please stop right away.

Pejo

It's actually a pretty fun game that gets more intense with the jump scares as you get further in. I was having a complete blast until the final level when they kind of squandered the good will I had by doing the typical thing of an unexpected, sharp difficulty spike for the final boss. Not only are there no check points for a final boss with a few stages, to it, every stage is marked by a transition with a potential for a one hit kill.

Suffice to say, I'm NOT an amazing light gun shooter guy, though I'd managed to get through every other fight with only or two restarts. I was stuck on this for about 45 minutes, so all the chills and scares wore off by that point.

Up until the tedious repetition of that final boss fight, I'd have said it was an excellently paced game, but that just killed the momentum. However, that was really the only time I had an issue with the game. If you drop it down to easy, it might be less tedious.

Thanks for the impressions! I saw best buy had the physical version for only 19.99 (15.99 with GCU), so I picked it up and applied a 15 dollar reward certificate that was about to expire. I think I can stomach paying $1.07 for this game.

So excited to dig into it tonight.

SOLDIER

What if you put the camera on the desk behind that chair? So your play space is facing the chair between the bed and the TV?

The cord from the camera wouldn't be able to reach that far. My PS4 is also directly hooked up to too many things on the left side of my TV stand that I wouldn't be able to move it there either.

Do they sell an extension cord that would work with the camera? I could probably try it that way.

But even if I did, that would still only solve my standing situation. If I wanted to play it while sitting down comfortably on my bed, I would have to keep moving it (but maybe it wouldn't be as big a deal with the longer cord).

Also, I've been wondering this forever, but is it necessary for you to do the advanced calibration steps every time you change your camera's position?

Hasney

What control method is recommended? The default one is a little bit tough to stomach. Is it worth getting used to?

Right stick and play with the comfort options by pressing options in the practice arena. Some people are better turning off the narrow FOV when turning.

DavidDesu

Ah ok, I just remember them having the new cameras in the studio, didn't know they were using the old ones at home. Interesting.

edit: that being said, when doing the lights calibration on the headset and controls I noticed the view the camera was showing me was all blue, smudged and washed out. To the point where I couldn't make out anything on the screen other than the lights from the headset and controllers. Is this normal? I mean everything worked fine and I didn't have any tracking issues and the view from the camera when it asked me to make sure nothing around me was fine. Weird stuff.

example:
Cusj4G6WIAAjNsV.jpg

Mine's is exactly like this. When I just check the PS Camera it shows the normal view, but when calibrating the VR it's always washed out and weird like this. Wonder what's up and why that is and does that effect the tracking at all? If the camera maybe operates in a different mode when it does VR stuff and this different mode causes issues??? I dunno.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the VR videos on Hulu are kinda cool especially the one National Geographic one.

SOLDIER

Turns out they do have extension cables for the camera, though it seems 6.5 feet is the longest available. I think that would be long enough to reach my computer desk.

But if I'm then facing the direction of my computer desk, I'm not sure if that would be enough room to stretch my arms out. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out, return the cord if I'm not satisfied. But again, I still would prefer finding a sweet spot where I wouldn't have to move the camera every time I alternate between sitting/standing, depending on the VR game.

What control method is recommended? The default one is a little bit tough to stomach. Is it worth getting used to?
I think the right stick turning is preferable and I turned off the FOV limiting on turns and I think that's better. It's definitely a game to ease into though and I wouldn't recommend any marathon sessions with it. It's the only one that given me a hint of uneasiness although that was during a longer play session. It's a great game I think I will keep it to 2-3 match spurts for awhile though.

lcap

Well, after playing a lot last night I can definitely recommend the head motion method. It's a bit hard to stomach at first and seems all over the place in the beggining but, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

Can't stress enough how it feels so natural turning your RIG with your head. After that, if you change to right stick movement it feels a bit slow and clunky compared.

To prevent the camera from moving due to cord pull . I quickly fabricated a small device to hold it down more. A small piece of wood with a hole in the back to put the cord through and on the bottom it has two small l brackets to it can lean on the back of the TV edge without falling off. that held stopped the cord from moving left/right but not it pulled up the front due to the weight being all moved to the back I guess. So I added a piece of tape to hold it down on the wooden piece until I can make something better/find a counter weight.

It is now much easier to adjust up/down when my kids play or I sit down etc. without worry it shifting physically.

My only drift I noticed in the VR world "Scavengers Odyssey" and it would go left and right. Very odd.
Loved that game though.. much fun.

Scavengers Oddyssey really made me want more. As did 'Robot's Rescue' from the VR Playroom. All of the sudden 3d platforming was made complete.

Turns out they do have extension cables for the camera, though it seems 6.5 feet is the longest available. I think that would be long enough to reach my computer desk.

But if I'm then facing the direction of my computer desk, I'm not sure if that would be enough room to stretch my arms out. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out, return the cord if I'm not satisfied. But again, I still would prefer finding a sweet spot where I wouldn't have to move the camera every time I alternate between sitting/standing, depending on the VR game.

You could just sit in the computer chair instead of the bed. Probably more comfortable as far as posture goes anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom