• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe a dumb question, but what exactly is the point of the calibration where you hold the header up to the camera? It was super finicky for me, but beside that I'm not sure just what it accomplishes. I had to put the headset way closer than I typically sit to get it to register.

I've done it almost 20 times now while messing with different positions and I'm still not sure if it helps either.

I even did one test where I place the headset on a coffee table that pulls out so that I could have it stay perfectly level while it registered the lights in every position. In my experience, the only thing that ever seems to help the tracking is being closer to the camera.

Afrikan

Anyone buy/create a travel bag for their PSVR?

The known one is $50...too much for me.

I see this one but I think it's only in Europe.

686-8237_PI_1000455MN

http://www.tesco.com/direct/navitec...ing-case-and-travel-bag-backpack/686-8237.prd

has anyone found a bag that the PSVR fits just right? I found a $8 lunch bag with padding at Target..but its just a tad too small.

Maybe there are big camera bags or bags for Rift/Vive that I haven't seen.

edit- ok that one in the pic sells out here too.

bumpkin

I've been using the ear buds that came with it as well as my PS Gold headset which manages to just fit as well without being cumbersome. They don't extend out at all or anything?
How is that in general, anyways? Does it block outside noise at all?

I've been using my Turtle Beach Wii U headset, but I'm thinking about getting a second headset so I can stop having to carry the one back and forth (I generally use it with my 3DS downstairs).

Gemeanie

Just watched Allumette and... Wow. Definitely look forward to more storytelling in VR.

I actually had to clean the light shield because my tears were all over it lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just played the playroom platformer. You guys were 100% right. Amazing.

Could totally see a full title played like this. Never ever have i played a platformer in that way. Gave me first time mario 64 vibes, super refreshing.

Ratchet and Clank vr please.

I'd pay $70 for a full Ratchet VR game. You hear me Insomniac!!!!???

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I might still be in the honeymoon phase and I don't think VR will replace traditional gaming, but playing VR, for me, is legitimately like the transition from 2D gaming to 3D gaming. It's that mind blowing even if, in hindsight, these first batch of games will seem ho-hum in a few months/years. I haven't really felt like this since the first time I played my Sega Saturn and PS1.

I open this is like the first baby steps into 3D with developers initially just playing with the technology and a few standouts and we're still waiting for those big steps forward to take us even further

Even super basic things like space pirate trainer (vive) are amazing in VR, so I'm really curious about thumper and super hyper mega cube. Budget Cuts is the first really immersive game I've played though - to the point where both me and my kids nearly fell over by subconsciously leaning on a wall that wasn't actually there.

How is that in general, anyways? Does it block outside noise at all?

I've been using my Turtle Beach Wii U headset, but I'm thinking about getting a second headset so I can stop having to carry the one back and forth (I generally use it with my 3DS downstairs).

Honestly, so far so good. I've seen people in general have mixed reviews about the Gold Headset. Personally I've had 0 complaints with it. All I need to two to switch between PC and the PS4 is just plug in the USB dongle.

I didn't really use it much the first two days because I had forgot to charge it, but I played through all of Rez last night with it. I wouldn't say it blocks out ALL sound, but it does a pretty good job.

Also to note, by me saying it doesn't block out all sound, if I'm hearing sound, it's often from my TV a few feet away from me on normal volume.

playroom VR i'd say. or tumble. they're not the most OMG wow, but they're both fun. kitchen demo too just to get their reaction. lol

Playroom VR and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. Had bunch of friends over and everybody loved it.

Thanks you two, already have playroom downloaded, will probably go ahead and grab both of those games and dl them before I had out. Also, it's gonna be great seeing my friends try the kitchen, I wasn't even able to get through it lmao.

Bikram

Thanks you two, already have playroom downloaded, will probably go ahead and grab both of those games and dl them before I had out. Also, it's gonna be great seeing my friends try the kitchen, I wasn't even able to get through it lmao.
I would suggest Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes as well if you can afford it.

ScaredHitless

Neo Member
Okay, I'm gonna be bringing over my VR to a friend's house tonight. What game is the best for a group to play around with?

Pleasantly surprised by how great Playroom VR has been for group settings. Had 5 people over the other night and they all really got a kick out of the endless runner (where the VR user is the monster) and the Wild West game.

Friends also got a kick out of the London Heist in VR Worlds. The shooting range kept people glued for hours.

Anyone with a big head having any issues? I have a GearVR and that thing is super tight on me even with it at its largest fitting. Is there lots of room for adjustment?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dude, there is no way this is a fad after people try it they will all want one. I hope anyway. Im super excited thinking about all the adventure games just based off having to open a box to find a key to unlock ammo in Heist. It was actually uncomfortable when he pointed the loaded gun at my face. Man im jacked up from that lol

NO WAY this is a fad. Nobody on GAF was talking about MOVE, Kinetc, or 3D games like we are VR.

This is the real deal. For instance we all seem to want more of the Playroom Platformer and The Heist, not less.

jusufin

I really don't get why this doesn't work... Holding Options to re-center should 100% of the time place the game image direct center of your current view. It seems completely broken in RIGS... you see a slight shift in the video's position and that's it.

Is this game software dependent? Part of the API? It should be 100% handled by the OS and should be quickly patch-able and fix in ALL games...

I'm hoping they get a fix out soon because it's definitely broken as it is. After shelling out $500 for this, the lack of polish on Sony's end really knocked my enthusiasm down a notch. The games are amazing, and the hardware is definitely good enough, but I feel like Sony dropped the ball with the software in a few places that should have been obvious.

My biggest gripes that should have been non issues are:

The recentering issue - Should be a dedicated button on every app/game that does what it's supposed to do.

Have a home screen that's specific to virtual reality - they should have just separated the VR and regular PS4 games completely with the option/app to enter 2d and play regular games from PSVR for those that want to.

Allow users to adjust the IPD manually - I can't believe they buried the option in the setting menu and didn't include it in the initial setup. Not only that, but the method they use is inaccurate and the only way I can get it perfect is to disregard the instructions and center the targets slightly closer to the nose rather than centering them in the middle of the eye.

I don't regret my purchase because the games I've played have been better than what I've tried and bought on the Vive and my CV1 so far, but I do hope that they are working on at least fixing the recentering issue soon.

Anyone with a big head having any issues? I have a GearVR and that thing is super tight on me even with it at its largest fitting. Is there lots of room for adjustment?

Big head mode here. My head is massive, I don't buy hats or anything cuz they barely fit. When I worked at Starbucks, they had to special order a hat for me because their normal sizes were all way too small for my giant noggin.

No issues here. The headset fits great. The amount that you can extend it to put it on is far longer than the length of my head. And being able to adjust the actual headset position helps immensely.

My head is bigly, I've got the biggest head just tremendous, believe me.

KORNdoggy

Random video of my mom playing Kitchen

https://youtu.be/M54a-qiufZQ

She certainly seemed to react calmer than my mom

https://youtu.be/Vner1O5s9Jg

I have an enormous head. Like...barely any hats fits me its so big. and while i admit i don't even have to use the tightening wheel, its not tight and it is incredibly comfortable

Clockwork5

Finished scavenger Odyssey last night. I was fine throughout the game but the last boss made me feel queasy and I kept playing it. Which was a mistake me think, still feel a bit nausated right now.

So guys, if you slightly feel motion sickness.. please stop right away.
I wanted to see how sick Driveclub made me so I pushed through the initial wave of motion sickness and then the second.

After a certain point my entire world got fucked and I had to go sit by the toilet for a while. Just in case.

Big head mode here. My head is massive, I don't buy hats or anything cuz they barely fit. When I worked at Starbucks, they had to special order a hat for me because their normal sizes were all way too small for my giant noggin.

No issues here. The headset fits great. The amount that you can extend it to put it on is far longer than the length of my head. And being able to adjust the actual headset position helps immensely.

My head is bigly, I've got the biggest head just tremendous, believe me.

Thanks my large headed brethren. Good to know I won't have to make any modifications.

farisr

Well looks like the amazon eve valkyrie order came through.

For folks who got the Eve Valkyrie digital code at $20, but didn't get the founders pack, they're emailing codes out for the founders pack to them now. Just received mine.

I finally got my headset and... I have some issues xD

Love the experience, I just think my hardware might be DOA. The left lens has some very visible scratches in what appears to be some kind of coating, which are visible as round white "plates" of light while playing, like the ones you get when you look at the sun with a camera, but just along this big fat scratch.

Additionally, my PU seems to have a bad power supply or something. I have to twist the plug just right for it to be powered, and after a while playing in VR, the screen starts cutting out, until it goes all black and I have to hard-reset the console.

Any advice? Or should I just contact Sony for a replacement? :-(

Clockwork5

Love the experience, I just think my hardware might be DOA. The left lens has some very visible scratches in what appears to be some kind of coating, which are visible as round white "plates" of light while playing, like the ones you get when you look at the sun with a camera, but just along this big fat scratch.

Additionally, my PU seems to have a bad power supply or something. I have to twist the plug just right for it to be powered, and after a while playing in VR, the screen starts cutting out, until it goes all black and I have to hard-reset the console.

As far as the lenses go did you take off the protective coating?

Afrikan

not sure if it relates to you ^

but am I the only idiot who forgot to take off those plastic covers on the lenses? I was like why does look off.

I think I went through two demos before I noticed what an idiot I was...took them off and then whoa.

Sounds like you need a replacement. But just to be sure... You did remove the plastic lens cover from the inside of the headset yes?

farisr

Nice I just got mine too. What's in it?
According to the description:

The EVE: Valkyrie PlayStation® VR Founder’s Pack content:

- Legendary ‘S4 Wraith’ Fighter
- Exclusive ‘Cobalt’ Flight Suit
- Limited Edition ‘Founder's Pilot’ Forum Tag
- 2,500 Gold

After initially finding out that the founders pack wasn't included with the code, and reading the description, I was okay with not receiving it, since I got the game for $20 after all. But still nice to have some extras.

Haint

The drifting on the PSVR can get super annoying. I've experienced drift on other VR headsets but recentering always solves the problem. With PSVR, recentering seems to do nothing on some titles.

For instance, the future ball game that comes with PlayStation Worlds becomes unplayable after a while because I end up having to face completely right to face forward and tracking eventually goes bad because I drift so far out. Recentering does nothing for me in this game. I hope Sony get a software fix out for some of these titles.

I really don't get why this doesn't work... Holding Options to re-center should 100% of the time place the game image direct center of your current view. It seems completely broken in RIGS... you see a slight shift in the video's position and that's it.

Is this game software dependent? Part of the API? It should be 100% handled by the OS and should be quickly patch-able and fix in ALL games...

Even if it did work, the drift would start again immediately (albeit gradually) and is omnipresent. You will be recentering every 5-10 min if not more if you're shifting a full 45+ degrees in a Danger Ball session. I think PSVR is fundamentally broken technology if they can't effectively eliminate the drift during play sessions. Between sessions, and certainly first putting on the headset is fine, but every few minutes is a broken product. People are going to grow increasingly hostile as the honeymoon period wears off, and Sony/Retailers are going to eat a shit ton on returns.

Well looks like the amazon eve valkyrie order came through.

For folks who got the Eve Valkyrie digital code at $20, but didn't get the founders pack, they're emailing codes out for the founders pack to them now. Just received mine.

Thanks for the heads up there. I was wondering if it was just a timed thing before it went or not. Only really sat there with EVE for about an hour the one night as there's all those other games to try. But was meaning to look up the Founder's details because I didn't see the ships or anything there.

Edit: Just got it.

Even if it did work, the drift would start again instantly (albeit gradually) and is omnipresent. You will be recentering every 5-10 min if not more. I think PSVR if fundamentally broken technology if the can't effectively eliminate the drift during play sessions.

I've had very little issues myself. I only find myself needing to recenter every now and again, but nothing that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom