• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdk7

"Fun" is the word I keep going back to. I can't describe any of my VR experiences without saying how much fun it was. There's a simple purity to it that games have been kind of lacking lately.

Yup. Since you're so invested in the action, I feel that even by just looking around brings a smile to your face. Not considering the sweet emotions you feel when playing Rez Infinite with Project-K all over you, when moving around at insane speeds that chrome space beetle in Thumper or when acting stupid in Job Simulator.
Yeah, it's really fun and fresh.

Mob

Has anyone NOT experienced any tracking issues or drift?

I have had to recentre the display with the option button occasionally but not had the left drift a lot of people have mentioned. I'm fine with that. Have not experienced any tracking issues so far (fingers crossed it stays that way).

Had my unit since Thursday morning, used it every day. Went through all the calibration options after first connecting it and I fully power off the PS4 & breakout box every night.
My camera is beneath my TV and I sit around 5 feet away from it. When I play a game I have to stand for I stand about 6.5 feet away.

Played every demo and the following full games: Thumper, Rez, Batman, VR World's & Rigs.
Really enjoying it so far, next purchases are going to be Wayward Sky (loved the demo) & VEV (looks very intriguing).

Peltz

alternatively, if it comes to it. you could take some motion sickness medication. they worked with me as a kid. i assume they would in VR?

i think i once read about effects of simulators/VR in the military and that long exposure can lead to a sense of disassociation and that extended use make you get used to VR but then your brain almost flips and registers reality as the "VR". not in the sense you're going to run off a building and expect to survive. but just in the sense you have to get used to reality again. it doesn't take long to, but it is something that's there.

i have to say, after a few days straight of PSVR i do get small feelings of disassociation the day after at work. it's the only effect it seems to have on me, but it soon wears off. the only times i've felt like that is honestly with drugs.

Yea, this is definitely how I feel. Disassociated with reality after removing the headset.

I'm lacking in motivation a bit too. And I do think VR has a slight addictive element for me - I keep thinking about the next time I get to use it throughout my day. I think I'm going to hold off on using it again for a while until I figure out how to use it responsibly.

I think it would help if there were some more light hearted experiences more like Playroom VR and TumbleVR rather than the intense stuff like Thumper and RIGS.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Had my first issues of drift yesterday during a race in Driveclub, but oddly it kinda corrected itself halfway through the race. No issues other than that, but trying to play while looking straight left was a pain.

Gemeanie

Speaking of Rez, guys if you have Twitter please tweet your impression with #PSVRez, #Rezinfinite or @Mizuguchitter
He's been reading every tweet and hopefully we can generate enough interest for a sequel

FaintDeftone

Nothing here. Camera is below the TV, I'm sitting about 5-6 feet away from it.

Same. No drifting. The only time I noticed drifting is when I brought it to my buddy's house and sat the camera on a box, but we had toddlers running around the living room and they were walking over the cables with a rug on top of them and I'm sure the camera was shifting when they did.

LiK

Nothing here. Camera is below the TV, I'm sitting about 5-6 feet away from it.

I'm going to try sitting closer. I sit in a gaming chair in the game room and lean back so I might be farther away than intended. Hope it helps. The drifting is the only thing really annoying me. Not even the minor jittering is ruining it for me.

Holy shit. I played for 3 hours last night and went home to go to bed after (Around Midnight). I fucking woke up and looked around trying to click an imaginary PS Move button to interact with my environment. I am truly losing my sanity.

Also, I finally experienced the 'swim' effect last night. It didn't bother me, but man did it catch me off guard.

JPS Kai

If you want to instantly induce motion sickness, try playing The Assembly and toggle movement on with the analog sticks.

Went from 0-100 and almost throwing up as soon as my character started walking forward. Teleport-to-move is seriously the only way to play that game.

What local multiplayer games are out yet?

Stop Talking and Nobody Explodes

bennibop

Having read some of the views on this thread regards using PSVR for watching films etc, I can honestly say I think it does a really good job. I have watched Lego movie and The force awakens and I enjoyed watching them more this way. (I have a 4k hdr tv.) It was like watching a film on 1080p projector.

DavidDesu

Someone needs to make a stand for the camera. Just like a tripod stand with a way to solidly attach the camera. I'd love to put my camera higher looking down on my play space. I think that would give the best coverage and also minimise the chance of Move/DS4's blocking the headset tracking in gameplay. The top of my TV is as high as I can get it and that's basically head height when your sitting down.

Kaibutsu

After messing around with it for the weekend and having friends play it, I have to say i'm pleasantly surprised at how flawlessly everything has worked and how good the experience has been. I was really worried it would be a shit show after the last two weeks of coverage but I must be one of the lucky ones because I have not had any issues with my set-up/headset at all. No jitters, camera, or tracking issues from what I have been able to tell. Maybe I just haven't noticed but the people I had over didn't seem to have any issues either. The only thing so far that has made me sick to point I had to stop playing was 100ft Robot Golf in VR mode... Woof.

edit: camera on top of the TV, sitting about 6 feet away on a couch with a low table in between. Worked in low light, artificial lights shinning down from above and light from the windows.

Hasney

After messing around with it for the weekend and having friends play it, I have to say i'm pleasantly surprised at how flawlessly everything has worked and how good the experience has been. I was really worried it would be a shit show after the last two weeks of coverage but I must be one of the lucky ones because I have not had any issues with my set-up/headset at all. No jitters, camera, or tracking issues from what I have been able to tell. Maybe I just haven't noticed but the people I had over didn't seem to have any issues either. The only thing so far that has made me sick to point I had to stop playing was 100ft Robot Golf in VR mode... Woof.

Yeah, I think this is the general majority looking through theis thread, with some unfortunate people having tracking issues.

Don't even get me started on 100ft Robot Golf. Such a good game on the TV mode too...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Having read some of the views on this thread regards using PSVR for watching films etc, I can honestly say I think it does a really good job. I have watched Lego movie and The force awakens and I enjoyed watching them more this way. (I have a 4k hdr tv.) It was like watching a film on 1080p projector.

I have a 1080p projector. It's the difference between watching a 120 inch screen at home and being in the middle row of an IMAX cinema. The movies look huge.

I dont know if this has been brought up yet, but there are some really cool 360 Video Experiences on the Within App on the PS Store.

Within is an app that has 360 VR Videos. There are about 24 different video experiences on there, but 3 of them stood out for me.

My favorite was Squarepusher Star Eiglass. Imagine you are in a Beetles Music Video that was created for a Simpsons Episode. That is what it felt like to me. You are hangliding, riding a little toy car, walking, jetpacking, all in a cartoon world.

Evolution of Verse was really cool as well. It was like I was dropping hits back in college or something. Crazy.

Finally, Catatonic has you strapped in a wheelchair being wheeled into an Asylum with crazy people everywhere. You look down, and you are in a wheelchair, your arms are strapped to it, you see your legs and everything. Creepy!

Of course, these are 360 Videos, so the Quality leaves something to be desired in some parts, plus the videos are streaming so you could get some pixelization at parts. However, the Squarepusher Star Eiglass looks awesome quality, and the last part of Evolution of Verse also is very high quality. I think these show you both the potential of 360 Videos as experiences, as well as, the potential of their what their quality can reach.

Samus4145

Was playing some more Headmaster last night. At the stage where you have to turn left and rifht, but I turned the wrong direction. As soon as I turned and saw multiple soccer balls coming towards me I instinctively put my arms up to protect myself.

Played DriveClub after that and didn't have any type of motion sickness at all, even after spinning out. Felt a rush after turning around the first bend. I'm hooked.

spidye

I'm going to try sitting closer. I sit in a gaming chair in the game room and lean back so I might be farther away than intended. Hope it helps. The drifting is the only thing really annoying me. Not even the minor jittering is ruining it for me.
I linked a reddit thread where many people actually had this drifting. Seems like a camera problem (although nothing's confirmed) since those who have the new playstation camera are more prone to drifting. At least according to that thread

Rigs really is such a rush when you get into an intense match. There's no better feeling than getting into overdrive, bolting up a ramp, and slamming yourself through the net in Powerslam.

Was playing some more Headmaster last night. At the stage where you have to turn left and rifht, but I turned the wrong direction. As soon as I turned and saw multiple soccer balls coming towards me I instinctively put my arms up to protect myself.

While playing the VR Luge I constantly had my arms thrown out like I was trying to slow myself down. At one point I even questioned "why am I doing this?" Funny how VR tricks you sometimes.

LiK

I linked a reddit thread where many people actually had this drifting. Seems like a camera problem (although nothing's confirmed) since those who have the new playstation camera are more prone to drifting. At least according to that thread

I have the old camera as well. I'm gonna try it then since its unwrapped. Thought the new one would work better.

Anecdotal of course, as an owner of the old camera I've had no drifting issues. I have the odd bit of hitching when viewing menus etc. but during games tracking has been flawless and no drift.

Kaibutsu

Interesting, that could make sense. I'm using the old PS4 camera that I bought at launch. Giant Bomb and some others that I've seen have issues have all been using the new camera..

Peltz

I dont know if this has been brought up yet, but there are some really cool 360 Video Experiences on the Within App on the PS Store.

Within is an app that has 360 VR Videos. There are about 24 different video experiences on there, but 3 of them stood out for me.

My favorite was Squarepusher Star Eiglass. Imagine you are in a Beetles Music Video that was created for a Simpsons Episode. That is what it felt like to me. You are hangliding, riding a little toy car, walking, jetpacking, all in a cartoon world.

Evolution of Verse was really cool as well. It was like I was dropping hits back in college or something. Crazy.

Finally, Catatonic has you strapped in a wheelchair being wheeled into an Asylum with crazy people everywhere. You look down, and you are in a wheelchair, your arms are strapped to it, you see your legs and everything. Creepy!

Of course, these are 360 Videos, so the Quality leaves something to be desired in some parts, plus the videos are streaming so you could get some pixelization at parts. However, the Squarepusher Star Eiglass looks awesome quality, and the last part of Evolution of Verse also is very high quality. I think these show you both the potential of 360 Videos as experiences, as well as, the potential of their what their quality can reach.

Wait... Squarepushee as in THE Squarepusher? As in the guy I'm listening to right now as I type this?

This I gotta see.

Synless

Last night I had issues like drifting for some reason. No real reason for it either. Lighting was the same, I played for a few hours with no issue and out of nowhere it started happening and wouldn't stop. My move controllers tracking got wonky as well.

Old camera fyi.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Okay. I am finally starting to feel a bit queasy and Scavenger's Odyssey is to blame.

I will wait until I have improved my VR legs before coming back to that game.

gunstarhero

Has anyone been playing a lot of Battlezone? I'm loving the game, but I'm always running out of ammo, and never know what to do next.

It's not like I'm missing my targets either - in the middle missions (on short campaign) I seem to be running out of ammo for both of my weapons mid way through.

Is there a way to generate more ammo in this game? I have to be missing something.

Soi-Fong

Rigs really is such a rush when you get into an intense match. There's no better feeling than getting into overdrive, bolting up a ramp, and slamming yourself through the net in Powerslam.

So fucking true! Endzone is amazing as well using the melee boost button to finish through to the endzone to get a touchdown before your health depletes to 0.

Maz

Used it for 2 hrs so far, the tracking seems a little twitchy and slow. Batman vr looks way better than I imagined ps vr to be capable off and thumper is the stuff of nightmares.

Has anyone been playing a lot of Battlezone? I'm loving the game, but I'm always running out of ammo, and never know what to do next.

It's not like I'm missing my targets either - in the middle missions (on short campaign) I seem to be running out of ammo for both of my weapons mid way through.

Is there a way to generate more ammo in this game? I have to missing something.

Yea I'm loving Battlezone but I'm crap at it. I haven't managed to complete a campaign yet in about 8 attempts. I keep getting ammo from destroyed enemies but when you run out just use the blaster with infinite ammo. They say use it as a last resort but it gets you out of trouble

So one of my biggest takeaways from my weekend with PSVR is that I may have a strong stomach for this stuff. Historically, motion sickness has never been a thing for me (with the 360 version of Marathon Durandel being the only time I've ever gotten motion sickness to date) so this checks out. I played Rigs with the alternate control scheme just fine, I played Battle zone just fine, and I've had Job Simulator freak out on me on multiple occasions (camera goes crazy because I hit the border or one of my hands flying off into the proverbial sunset) and I was fine.

I played the DriveClub VR demo which seems really awesome and I didn't have the sinking into the chair problem GB had with the full game. I've also played Summer Lessons (which is a weird game but also hilariously the first VR game a felt a sense of presence in, lol), Fly to Kuma, the Godzilla X PlayStation VR experience, some of the PS Worlds stuff, Rez with the experienced VR controls (as it turns out I'm still terrible at Rez as I couldn't even beat the first area).

Z3M0G

I took Friday off to play PSVR at my buddy's place for the day... I left with some queezy feelings due to Driveclub and a really jittery session of London Heist...

But all weekend I couldn't stop thinking about it... and wanting to jump back in to experience more.

I wish I had the money to blow on one of these right now... Even though I own two Move controllers from the PS3 days, the bundle would still be the better value due to not having a camera and getting a copy of VR worlds. Having extra Move controllers isn't really a bad thing anyways. (would be nice to have 4 controllers for some PS3 Sports friends, actually!!)

It's kinda nice to know, hever, that these things are not exactly flying off shelves. I could likely get a great price on one come boxing day!! I think I'll be watching for exactly that!

LordPusha

Had my first experience with VR yesterday, and it was Driveclub with a wheel and racing seat. I could see how the textures were smudged, but damn if i didnt have a shit eating grin throughout the whole experience. Driving with a cockpit camera is really different when everything is scaled and 3d. WOW.

Taker666

Interesting, that could make sense. I'm using the old PS4 camera that I bought at launch. Giant Bomb and some others that I've seen have issues have all been using the new camera..

I had drifting issues just as bad as Giant Bombs when my camera was positioned above my tv..they disappeared when I moved the camera below my tv.

I don't think it's the camera's at fault..it's down to lighting reflections and other elements.

Kaibutsu

Wrong. Jeff said he also used the old camera and had the same issues with that.

Ah ok, I just remember them having the new cameras in the studio, didn't know they were using the old ones at home. Interesting.

edit: that being said, when doing the lights calibration on the headset and controls I noticed the view the camera was showing me was all blue, smudged and washed out. To the point where I couldn't make out anything on the screen other than the lights from the headset and controllers. Is this normal? I mean everything worked fine and I didn't have any tracking issues and the view from the camera when it asked me to make sure nothing around me was fine. Weird stuff.

example:
Cusj4G6WIAAjNsV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom