• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to watch Liverpool v Man Utd tonight on Sky (UK here - come on Liverpool!), and just had an amazing thought...

Stream the game on Sky Go through Safari using my MacBook... HDMI into the PSVR, and watch the game on a massive screen!

The wait for the match now seems even longer...

You could just sit in the computer chair instead of the bed. Probably more comfortable as far as posture goes anyway
Plus for certain games where you fling the move controllers around a lot (Catlateral Damage especially) you have to do a lot of batting motions in front of you lower down a bit, where if on the bed you wouldn't be able to do, whereas in the chair you could easily accomplish.

So I'm going to watch Liverpool v Man Utd tonight on Sky (UK here - come on Liverpool!), and just had an amazing thought...

Stream the game on Sky Go through Safari using my MacBook... HDMI into the PSVR, and watch the game on a massive screen!

or or just use SkyGo on the playstation itself?

Yea rigs is my next game. I want VR worlds, and SuperHyperCube but I feel both are overpriced.

Only thing I paid for so far is Rez and Batman

I definitely agree with you on VR Worlds. VR Worlds is a collection of REALLY nice looking tech demos. It's nice but the only thing I'll ever revisit on it is the London Heist shooting range. As simple as SuperHyperCube is it has a strong aesthetic, plays great and it has the kind of depth present in all great puzzle games. I think SuperHyperCube is worth the price but I guess that really comes down to personal tastes.

How is Batman VR? I feel like the Big PSVR releases are Rez, Batman, Rigs, BattleZone and Eve Valkyrie. I played Rez, Rigs and BattleZone with Rez being the only one I bought. Rigs and Battlezone seem cool but I see them becoming ghost towns REAL fast. Same goes for Eve Valkyrie. So that just leaves Batman in which I generally love Batman stuff but everything I've seen of the VR game looks kind of lame...

SOLDIER

You could just sit in the computer chair instead of the bed. Probably more comfortable as far as posture goes anyway

I thought of that too. My bed is the comfiest, but it's not like I could really lie on my back for VR games.

Not a fan of that extension cable price, but once I get home I'll see if I can stretch out my arms, and order the cable if need be. The cheapest I've seen is an Insignia brand for $19.99, and it only seems to be available on Best Buy.

Is there a cheaper alternative, like a cable type that isn't branded as a PS4 camera extension cord?

DavidDesu

If you have Sky Go... doesn't that mean you could just watch it directly on your PS4through PSVR? I was sure if you had Sky Go you can use the Sky app (different app to Now TV)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
When that Star Wars update coming out? Also DOA3E was suppose to get updated too?

azcoyote

Neo Member
I was enjoying the VRideo app, sightseeing around Paris.

Really wish it would drop these type of apps in with the rest of the streaming apps (Youtube, Netflix, etc).

That being said, does Youtube support 360 video on other platforms? Should we expect an update anytime soon?

Also check out the free Littlestar VR Cinema app in the Playstation Store. Free streaming 360 videos for VR including content by ABC, Showtime, NBC, Discovery, Red Bull, World of Tanks. The OneRepublic "Kids" music video shot in 360 is pretty cool!! You can browse their library at https://littlstar.com/videos

So how exactly do you put the PSVR on with headphones? Can't really see a way to do it... Can't put the headphones over the headset as it's too small, and putting the psvr over the headset doesn't seem possible either.

I own these for reference
kingston_hyperx_cloud_ii_headset_01.jpg

reson8or

An OLED one at that.

Was watching a Blu-Ray last night, and when the scene cut to black...everything went pitch black in the HMD. I caught myself grinning

Not to rain on your parade, but the OLED screen on the PSVR pales in comparison to an actual OLED display. Its passable and certainly viable for the headset, but not even in the same league as my LG. PSVR is awesome, but IQ is not its strength (and doesn't have to be for now).

So how exactly do you put the PSVR on with headphones? Can't really see a way to do it... Can't put the headphones over the headset as it's too small, and putting the psvr over the headset doesn't seem possible either.

One pair I have can fit over top.... but I've since switched to IEMs for simplicity.

I've been using the ear buds that came with it as well as my PS Gold headset which manages to just fit as well without being cumbersome. They don't extend out at all or anything?

I use headphone similar to those and they fit with the VR helmet. I don't know what you mean that the helmet is too small, the helmet doesn't really matter, does it? You're still putting the headphones over your head, unless I am totally misunderstanding what you're trying to say here.

Maligna

Banned
If I move my camera placement do I have to go through all the PSVR calibrations all over again? Like if it was below the TV and I move it above, do I have to calibrate the lights on the headset again and such?

KORNdoggy

you have to overextend them like you have a huge head and then just sit them over the top. pretty sure most headphones have the ability to be made bigger?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So I connected my Retron 5 to the PS VR processing unit to see what Cinema Mode would look like with retro games, and I have to say that I actually really liked it! It felt like playing retro games on a big screen. Screen drift was a big problem though. I also tried some modern games, Journey and Lords of the Fallen specifically, and while they were playable there was definitely a quality and color loss that wasn't really noticeable with the retro games I tried.

I also gave Scavenger's Odyssey a try for the first time and I just continue to be blown away with how immersive VR is. It's the little things that just keep getting me! Like on the VR Worlds menu screen for Scavenger's Odyssey there is a spinning planet in front of you and it has a belt of debris around it. If you lean forward and stick your head in the debris, it deflects around you or gets trapped right in front of you. And if you point the DS4's light towards the planet, it shines a light over the planet and the debris. It's so damn cool!

Then, when you're playing the game and you look down and see your body, it feels like your body. If you lean to the right, your right arm bends a little and your body starts shifting to the right. Same for leaning to the left. If you move the analog sticks your arms move in the corresponding directions. I just can't get over it, haha

I use those exact headphones and I put them over the headset just fine. I typically play with one ear slightly off though so I can hear the outside world lol.

Mob

I definitely agree with you on VR Worlds. VR Worlds is a collection of REALLY nice looking tech demos. It's nice but the only thing I'll ever revisit on it is the London Heist shooting range. As simple as SuperHyperCube is it has a strong aesthetic, plays great and it has the kind of depth present in all great puzzle games. I think SuperHyperCube is worth the price but I guess that really comes down to personal tastes.

How is Batman VR? I feel like the Big PSVR releases are Rez, Batman, Rigs, BattleZone and Eve Valkyrie. I played Rez, Rigs and BattleZone with Rez being the only one I bought. Rigs and Battlezone seem cool but I see them becoming ghost towns REAL fast. Same goes for Eve Valkyrie. So that just leaves Batman in which I generally love Batman stuff but everything I've seen of the VR game looks kind of lame...

Batman VR standing with Move controllers is awesome (can't comment on sitting or using a DS4), really immersive, looks fantastic the majority of the time.
I don't know what you've seen that makes you think it looks lame, I didn't look at anything about it on the net but I did demo it at EGX and that sold it for me.
If you're a fan of the good Batman comics, cartoons, movies & games I'd say buying it is a no-brainer. If you're just a fan of the Arkham games then maybe not as it's such a different experience.

And Rigs is a lot of fun. I've seen people in this thread mention they've had a problem getting online games but everytime I've played online I got a game quick (I have only played about 8 online matches so far though, spending more time in SP).
I think the online for Rigs will be OK for a while, it's one of the most polished games available and it's such good fun.
Even if online does become a ghost town I'm confident I'll get my money's worth out of it anyway, there's enough to the SP to keep me playing & enjoying for a good while.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wayward Sky -- holy shit, holy shit.

From demo to instant buy. It's brilliant.

I LOVE these diorama-style games. Videos simply don't do it justice. A mix of third person dioramas and first person gameplay/puzzles works brilliantly. I can't get over how impressed I was by that demo.

I tried the demo last night and liked it. Then one of my Move controllers broke. :(

Ordering another one today from Amazon, but that was my money for Wayward Sky.

Shikoba

These are the exact ones I am using. Just extend them all the way out. It seems weird when you are putting them on yourself, but when I set my fiancee up on it they seemed to fit on perfectly fine.

iratA

Yes. AA being added and downsampling from higher resolutions have already been mentioned by some devs.

Yeah PRO patches for VR can't come soon enough. I'm still enjoying all my launch games don't get me wrong, but of the more than half dozen launch games I own, DriveClub VR and Battle zone need some AA and/or downsampling the most. Trying to pick off targets in the distance in Battlezone is headache inducing. Likewise looking into the distance in Driveclub is Pixel city.

jusufin

The drifting on the PSVR can get super annoying. I've experienced drift on other VR headsets but recentering always solves the problem. With PSVR, recentering seems to do nothing on some titles.

For instance, the future ball game that comes with PlayStation Worlds becomes unplayable after a while because I end up having to face completely right to face forward and tracking eventually goes bad because I drift so far out. Recentering does nothing for me in this game. I hope Sony get a software fix out for some of these titles.

I got it to work by extending the ears. I had to put my headphones over the psvr first and the proceed to put them both on at the same time.

It's kind of a hassle, but it works! Thanks guys.

Also, the Kitchen demo is absolutely terrifying.

Z3M0G

The drifting on the PSVR can get super annoying. I've experienced drift on other VR headsets but recentering always solves the problem. With PSVR, recentering seems to do nothing on some titles.

For instance, the future ball game that comes with PlayStation Worlds becomes unplayable after a while because I end up having to face completely right to face forward and tracking eventually goes bad because I drift so far out. Recentering does nothing for me in this game. I hope Sony get a software fix out for some of these titles.

I really don't get why this doesn't work... Holding Options to re-center should 100% of the time place the game image direct center of your current view. It seems completely broken in RIGS... you see a slight shift in the video's position and that's it.

Is this game software dependent? Part of the API? It should be 100% handled by the OS and should be quickly patch-able and fix in ALL games...

Waveset

Anyone know if there are plans for PSVR to support YouTube 360 video?
This and SBS 3D were things I was really looking forward too and surprised don't work.

Fliesen

ok, my first experiences with the PSVR demo (the underwater exploration cage thingy) ... the headset tracking was pretty flawless, even if i turned around.

controller tracking was a tad iffy, but not immersion breaking.

Same for job simulator. Tracking wasn't "Mouse pointer" accurate, but very close to being one-to-one tracking, and super immersive.

Batman VR is fucking amazing and definitely the best VR experience. It's a little frustrating how finicky it can me though at least for me. One time I had it working perfect and it was super smooth. The majority of the time I can get the moves working great but there is often this slight jitter in the environment. It doesn't make me sick or anything just immersion breaking.

Maybe a dumb question, but what exactly is the point of the calibration where you hold the header up to the camera? It was super finicky for me, but beside that I'm not sure just what it accomplishes. I had to put the headset way closer than I typically sit to get it to register.

DjRalford

I keep looking, but the stand and the charging stand that charges the moves and DS4 aren;t out in the UK unil December...

I just store my headset in the box between uses to ensure the kids can't get it and expose it to sunlight, with my moves in a charging unit in the corner of the living room.

On a different note a vr ready to rumble would be awesome

Waveset

That's Youtube's job I assume... 360 / 3D video works fine in Vridio app.
Could be, maybe a button needs to be added to the UI to tell the headset - it's 360!
Google suggests downloading them from YouTube and running them in the media player.
I need to make a US account for that VRideo app.

Wait... Squarepushee as in THE Squarepusher? As in the guy I'm listening to right now as I type this?

This I gotta see.

Yes, you gotta check it out and come back and share your impressions. It is a pretty cool 360 VR Video. Again, feels like the Simpsons meets The Beetles.

King_Moc

Banned
Made a separate thread about this, but I wasn't getting many replies, so I'll have to defer to here.

Basically, I'm trying to find a place to put the camera so I can play VR games that either require (or strongly suggest) playing while standing. Here are a couple of pictures of my room setup:

I've been using Batman and Job Simulator as tests, and the two common problems I have is that I can't stand far enough to meet their spacing requirements, and in the places where I can stand far enough (the sides of my bed), it can't read my Move controllers when I stretch them out to the sides. There's also the issue where the camera can't read my controllers if I set them to low (like to pick something up).

I think I might have found a working spot. It involves me putting the camera really high up (see the coin jar in the first picture? It's there but with some game cases stacked on top). Would this potentially work as a permanent solution? What I'm really hoping for is the ability to play sitting and standing games without constantly having to fuss with the camera for either scenario.

Tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have my camera on top of my TV using blu-tac, which actually lets me angle it up and down for sitting and standing as needed. It's low tech, sure, but it works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom