• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see how sick Driveclub made me so I pushed through the initial wave of motion sickness and then the second.

After a certain point my entire world got fucked and I had to go sit by the toilet for a while. Just in case.
There's nothing as terrible at motion sickness imo, leaves me out of it for hours if not days. I'm steering clear of Driveclub, I've heard nothing but horror stories about the motion sickness.

greekappi

Huh, weird.

Your television looks to be displaying that in normal quality. My TV displays it in the same quality as it's been shown in the headset.

Yeah that's how it always looks when I'm spectating and someone else is playing. It looks like it does in the headset only when I take the headset off, I think, if I remember correctly.

Can anyone corroborate that?

I managed to do the full race in the Driveclub VR demo, really cool, but man, I had to lay down for like hour or so afterwards.

Yeah, don't push yourself through the beginning of the queasy feeling, it will just make it worse in the day. :(

Kilau

Well looks like the amazon eve valkyrie order came through.

For folks who got the Eve Valkyrie digital code at $20, but didn't get the founders pack, they're emailing codes out for the founders pack to them now. Just received mine.

I got a code also, where exactly is this content?

Anyone know?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
She certainly seemed to react calmer than my mom

https://youtu.be/Vner1O5s9Jg

2771790-7240151897-tumbl.jpg

Hahah, I died when she said it

Haint

I've had very little issues myself. I only find myself needing to recenter every now and again, but nothing that often.

That's good for you, but it's clearly a very common issue. If he's shifting a full 45+ degrees in a session of Danger Ball, he's absolutely going to be recentering every 5-10 minutes.

Will this stop my cables from being tangled every time I take them off?

What I plan on doing is getting some wireless headphones that have a 3.5mm audio in (like the new Astro A50's) and running an audio cable from the in-line remote to the base station near the tv. Yes it will be another cable, but I can bundle it with the VR video cable and that means the headphones will be wireless with the correct 3D audio, not the speaker audio.

Chris_C

Job Simulator asks you to stand a foot too far away.

After some experimentation with the two standing games, Batman and JS, I've determined the latter asks you to stand about a foot too far away, at the outer range of the PS Moves reliable tracking area.

If I stand where the JS calibration tool asks and look at the moves, I can see them slowly wobble in and out. Take one step forward and they're almost perfect. I notice this is about the distance Batman asks you to stand, and tracking is thus much better ;though Batman seems to incorporate a smaller deadzone for move tracking, leading to increased jitter.

It's late here, but I might make a video to show this off tomorrow.

ryseing

Well looks like the amazon eve valkyrie order came through.

For folks who got the Eve Valkyrie digital code at $20, but didn't get the founders pack, they're emailing codes out for the founders pack to them now. Just received mine.

Oh awesome. I basically accepted I wasn't getting the founder's stuff and I was fine with that for saving $40 but that ship is pretty sweet.

jusufin

Even if it did work, the drift would start again immediately (albeit gradually) and is omnipresent. You will be recentering every 5-10 min if not more if you're shifting a full 45+ degrees in a Danger Ball session. I think PSVR is fundamentally broken technology if they can't effectively eliminate the drift during play sessions. Between sessions, and certainly first putting on the headset is fine, but every few minutes is a broken product.

It's only that bad for me in that one game if I'm being honest. It does occur in other games but not to that extreme.

Drift occurs with all my headsets to some degree which is why a recenter button exists on Vive, CV1, and Gear VR apps and games. The problem I have is that sometimes recentering does nothing on PSVR and really makes some games unplayable. This really seems like a software issue that Sony should be looking at.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
All your mom's reactions to The Kitchen have been priceless. Well done on getting your loved ones try it muahaha.
Also, more people should check out VEV and give m0dus some feedback.

Hellers

The drift issue seems to be a very weird one. Lots of us have never experienced it. It'd be nice to find out what causes it.

SHarris78

Omg the VR platformer, was not expecting anything close to that level of awesomeness. When you walk through that bit with the overhanging trees and your 'head' pushes through them! The whole thing was brilliant!

Sony, we ALL want a full game of that please!

I think VR has spoiled me on traditional games.

I tried to jump back in to The Witcher DLC last night and just couldn't get into it. Everything just felt so...2D -- flat and artificial. After having an near spiritual experience with Area X in the new Rez, anything I play on the TV screen feels lifeless by comparison.

This is the real deal GAF. This the paradigm shift we've been waiting for.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

I tried to jump back in to The Witcher DLC last night and just couldn't get into it. Everything just felt so...2D -- flat and artificial. After having an near spiritual experience with Area X in the new Rez, anything I play on the TV screen feels lifeless by comparison.

Yeah, I haven't touched a normal game since hooking up my PSVR. I'm also not particularly interested in a lot of the upcoming games anymore. I'm sure the honeymoon phase will die down and I'll transition back a bit but, right now, all I care about is playing in VR and finding out what new games/software PSVR has coming in the future.

If we don't get some announcements at PSX I'm going to be super deflated.

Clockwork5

There's nothing as terrible at motion sickness imo, leaves me out of it for hours if not days. I'm steering clear of Driveclub, I've heard nothing but horror stories about the motion sickness.
It was interesting. I played fine for about a minute but there was a hairpin turn on a gentle decline that made my head spin. I was then kinda dizzy and spun out the back end of the car and my head started doing barrel rolls in addition to horizontal spinning. I stuck through for a bit more and that hairpin turn came around again and my throat closed up and I began sweating in addition to the head fuckery.

I now know not to push it but I kinda wanted to see how far I could go, for science.

The only other thing that has caused me discomfort was Vrideo. But those 360 videos look like garbage anyway.

DavidDesu

My girlfriend's sister came over last night, they'd been out and had a few drinks. She played the shark encounter from VR Worlds and absolutely loved it. She seemed pretty amazed and really enthused for VR after saying she thought it would turn out to be a gimmick. Really great to hear. Then we made her play Kitchen and she literally fell of the chair at the end!

I'd had some experience of VR before so to me PSVR was great but hasn't really hit me the way its hitting other ordinary folk who never tried it before. They're astonished :)

Edit might as well post the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9jWkB0eNa8

Will0827

After playing alot of the demo finally played Batman & Eve Valkyrie, both of these games had me smiling ear to ear, i know that the novelty will wear off but man, it's such a fresh breath of gaming experience that words do very little to explain. Was having some feelings or doubt or negativity from some of the reviews but glad that i picked up the headset, and really looking forward to the future of where ever this is is heading.

Omg the VR platformer, was not expecting anything close to that level of awesomeness. When you walk through that bit with the overhanging trees and your 'head' pushes through them! The whole thing was brilliant!

Sony, we ALL want a full game of that please!
Which one is the platformer? What does the 'sphere' for it look like when choosing which gametype to play?

Belfast

I open this is like the first baby steps into 3D with developers initially just playing with the technology and a few standouts and we're still waiting for those big steps forward to take us even further

Even super basic things like space pirate trainer (vive) are amazing in VR, so I'm really curious about thumper and super hyper mega cube. Budget Cuts is the first really immersive game I've played though - to the point where both me and my kids nearly fell over by subconsciously leaning on a wall that wasn't actually there.

I've been pretty good about the not mistaking VR for real life thing, but last night I tried to instinctively catch some blocks that were falling off the table in Tumble. :/

Try playing Witcher 3 on the giant virtual screen! Alot of people are overlooking this. I set mine to the largest possible. You have to go to Devices > Playstation VR > Screen Size. I played Uncharted 4, Resident Evil 7 and Witcher 3 in there. Holy fuck. It feels almost like playing VR. The environments on the giant screen almost take up your entire field of view. Uncharted and Witcher were breathtaking in there. You can get a little dizzy after awhile but give it a shot and try it in bursts. It's the closest we can get to those games in VR for now.

Obviously you lose resolution in there but it doesn't fucking matter. The sheer size of everything makes up for it.

The drift issue seems to be a very weird one. Lots of us have never experienced it. It'd be nice to find out what causes it.

Not sure if it helps anyone, but the room I play in has really inefficient window shades so I've only ever used my PSVR at night with all the lights off and my controller set to bright and I've never experienced drift issues except for my first session when my controller was set to dim.

I first started out using the controller on Dim and noticed some slight tracking inconsistencies like the controller was slightly out of line with where it was in the real world but as soon as I made the controller light brighter that went away and things have been perfect since then.

I don't know if using your PSVR in a bright room has any potential for issues but I do know that I've had no drift or problems at all when I play in a totally dark room at night so I would recommend anyone that's having issues to try theirs out at night with the lights off if possible. I also end each session by powering down the PSVR with the button by the Volume Control and then a full shutdown on the PS4 when I'm done in case that has any relevance.

Yeah, I haven't touched a normal game since hooking up my PSVR. I'm also not particularly interested in a lot of the upcoming games anymore. I'm sure the honeymoon phase will die down and I'll transition back a bit but, right now, all I care about is playing in VR and finding out what new games/software PSVR has coming in the future.

If we don't get some announcements at PSX I'm going to be super deflated.

I had my first VR experience when I received my Vive back in May and it's still just as mind blowing and awesome today as the very first time I used it. The "wow factor" hasn't worn off after 6 months of daily use (1-3 hours per night) and I can't see it ever wearing off if I'm being honest. VR is something I've dreamt of my entire life so it's not entirely surprising that I haven't grown bored with what has essentially been a life long aspiration :p

SuperJay

You guys, I've been working in industrial VR applications for years now and I did not expect Batman VR to blow me away as much as it does.

I'm so sad it's a short experience. I need a full blown 6+ hour experience ASAP.

The level of craft and clever storytelling is just mindboggling. I really hope we see a sequel soon.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Which one is the platformer? What does the 'sphere' for it look like when choosing which gametype to play?

It's level/stage/world 1-2 if I remember correctly

Try playing Witcher 3 on the giant virtual screen! Alot of people are overlooking this. I set mine to the largest possible. You have to go to Devices > Playstation VR > Screen Size. I played Uncharted 4, Resident Evil 7 and Witcher 3 in there. Holy fuck. It feels almost like playing VR. The environments on the giant screen almost take up your entire field of view. Uncharted and Witcher were breathtaking in there. You can get a little dizzy after awhile but give it a shot and try it in bursts. It's the closest we can get to those games in VR for now.

Obviously you lose resolution in there but it doesn't fucking matter. The sheer size of everything makes up for it.

I actually really like playing non-VR games in Cinema Mode. I talked about it a couple of pages ago, but I hooked my Retron 5 up to the headset and played some SNES games throught it and had a blast! The screen drift is the only irritating part about Cinema Mode though.

This so much. Was playing the IW Beta and Mafia III on the largest cinema mode, and it was great. However, it wasn't until I pulled the headset off and saw the game playing on the screen just how small that 43 inch actually was compared to the screen in cinema mode.
Yes, I also noticed how much sharper the image on the TV was.
It was truly brilliant.

phant0m

Played DriveClub this morning, no problem, felt completely fine. Seeing different reactions to this is so odd: I'm someone that's EXTREMELY prone to motion sickness, I can't read in the car, can't go on most rollercoaster/thrill rides, etc. However, I've had almost no issues with VR so far, the only thing that made me feel actually sick was London Heist when I some had some tracking issues. I was clipping through stuff and the camera was doing the zoom in/zoom out thing and it made me feel real bad. The other was playing games in cinema mode, didn't really make me "sick" but just didn't feel right.

grendelrt

I really wish Eve was cheaper, I would probably jump in at like 39.99. Sad I missed the 20 dollar deal by like 20 min haha. I picked up until dawn last night for 16 at BB w/ gcu, really looking forward to it, liked the demo a lot.

Afrikan

do those ginger candies really work?

I haven't had any issues, as has my friend (we spent all Saturday playing VR games). but her cousin had issues with Battlezone after 10mins. Scared him away for a day...but said he wanted to try again.

DavidDesu

Any impressions of Sports Bar VR?

The controls are super fiddly for me. It's in desperate need of a button to ratchet the camera round. There's Hulk mode (press both moves together and you can kind of spin the room around you) but it's kind of sickening to use. When you keep teleporting you end up facing the wrong way in game and it NEEDS a ratchet function to quickly right yourself. Move tracking needs to be spot on or it's almost pointless playing it. I tried for a while but got frustrated so think I'll wait and see if they improve upon the movement.

This so much. Was playing the IW Beta and Mafia III on the largest cinema mode, and it was great. However, it wasn't until I pulled the headset off and saw the game playing on the screen just how small that 43 inch actually was compared to the screen in cinema mode.
Yes, I also noticed how much sharper the image on the TV was.
It was truly brilliant.

It's pretty god damn amazing. My jaw was wide open playing Uncharted 4 in there. I felt like I was in the environment. I almost think the graphics look better because of the resolution drop. On my HD TV, I can notice all the little shimmering, jaggies etc. But on the theater screen, Uncharted 4 has a near CGI look. I recommend replaying the entire game in there. I was planning on playing FFXV in the theater mode, but I don't think the headset is comfortable enough to play a 50 hour game in there.

And yes, when you take the headset off and see it on your little TV, there's no going back.

vpance

Job Simulator IQ looks really clean. I wonder what internal res it's running at?

If Pro can bump up all games to that level of clarity it'll be worth every penny.

Kitchen on the other hand was horrible. Had to shut that off after 1 min. Presence or not I'm not gonna play a jag fest like that.

Matush

Speaking of Playroom VR platformer, was anyone able to rescue all robots? I miss like 4 or 5 everytime and cant seem to find one "near cliff."

Quotient

Is their enough VR content to make the purchase worthwhile? Amazon has the core headset in stock (the bundle will be in stock this week). I am thinking about picking one up.

Codiox

Any impressions of Sports Bar VR?

its far from perfect, but to just hang out with friends or strangers and to fuck things up its fucking perfect. Loving it.

When you play pool with a stranger and are communicating by body language (shaking head, point at things, drinking VR beer together) is where this really shows how awesome VR is.

Is their enough VR content to make the purchase worthwhile? Amazon has the core headset in stock (the bundle will be in stock this week). I am thinking about picking one up.

I really think so. Almost everything I've tried is pretty great. Playing Batman with the Move controllers really solidified the purchase for me. Manipulating things in VR with your hands is so fantastic. There's Rez, Rigs, Battlezone, Driveclub, Bound, London Heist, Playroom VR, RE7 coming soon. A good amount of content, and VR is just amazing, especially to show to friends and family. It's worth it.

Quotient

I really think so. Almost everything I've tried is pretty great. Playing Batman with the Move controllers really solidified the purchase for me. Manipulating things in VR with your hands is so fantastic. There's Rez, Rigs, Battlezone, Driveclub, Bound, London Heist, Playroom VR, RE7 coming soon. A good amount of content, and VR is just amazing, especially to show to friends and family. It's worth it.

I have amazon points that should cover the purchase. I just need to convince the wife that it is a worthwhile usage of said points.

DjRalford

My daughter played Job simulator, she was amazed that she could use each move and play flappy bird on the PC with one hand and answer the phone on the other.

the thing that made her the most amazed though was throwing a bloody paper aeroplane accross the office.

Job Simulator IQ looks really clean. I wonder what internal res it's running at?

If Pro can bump up all games to that level of clarity it'll be worth every penny.

Kitchen on the other hand was horrible. Had to shut that off after 1 min. Presence or not I'm not gonna play a jag fest like that.

Yeah kitchen looked like playing a 3DS game lol, hopefully RE7 in full is a bit higher res on base PS4.

Pbae

It's pretty god damn amazing. My jaw was wide open playing Uncharted 4 in there. I almost think the graphics look better because of the resolution drop. On my HD TV, I can notice all the little shimmering, jaggies etc. But on the theater screen, Uncharted 4 has a near CGI look. I recommend replaying the entire game in there. I was planning on playing FFXV in the theater mode, but I don't think the headset is comfortable enough to play a 50 hour game in there.

The non VR games on the medium size setting is what sold me on the PSVR. It's absolutely captivating and even though I know it's not as crisp as a 1080p set, the immersion makes me forget all about pixels and just has me zoned in to whatever I'm playing.

Also saw Pacific Rim and wholly canoli was that a ride.

This little device is breathing new life into a lot of old games (UC4, LoU, Sniper Elite) and I'm excited to see more full fledged experiences.

Played DriveClub this morning, no problem, felt completely fine. Seeing different reactions to this is so odd: I'm someone that's EXTREMELY prone to motion sickness, I can't read in the car, can't go on most rollercoaster/thrill rides, etc. However, I've had almost no issues with VR so far, the only thing that made me feel actually sick was London Heist when I some had some tracking issues. I was clipping through stuff and the camera was doing the zoom in/zoom out thing and it made me feel real bad. The other was playing games in cinema mode, didn't really make me "sick" but just didn't feel right.

The only one for me is Here They Lie, I think the severe low rez and the movement is a bad combination.

Weevilone

Bit the bullet and opened everything up to charge stuff last night. Ohh all the cables..! Unfortunately I also realized that I'm auditioning a new display, which is now sitting on the floor in front of my usual display. I have nowhere to put the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom