• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have amazon points that should cover the purchase. I just need to convince the wife that it is a worthwhile usage of said points.

Hmm, it's always difficult when wives are involved lol.

Does she play often? If it's something she enjoys she will get a kick out of the games. A few demos in, she'll be blown away and the purchase will be justified. If not, it may not be something she ever uses and may not be worth using your points. The tech is early still, but very impressive. I highly recommend it, but you gotta do what's best for the household lol.

____

Since I have strong self-control, I cancelled my pre-order about a month out, and told myself I'll wait until next year.

Because of this thread
and the fact that I honestly have zero self-control,
I called Target and have them holding a PSVR Launch bundle for me for when I get off work today.

:\

phant0m

Since I have strong self-control, I cancelled my pre-order about a month out, and told myself I'll wait until next year.

Because of this thread
and the fact that I honestly have zero self-control,
I called Target and have them holding a PSVR Launch bundle for me for when I get off work today.

:\

You made the right choice, this time anyway. Cancelling a month out is a chump move unless you needed the money, there hadn't even been impressions yet. And media/reviewer impressions seem to be a lot different than this thread.

JCX

PSVR has been great for me, no motion sickness, but I did get freaked out during London Heist. There's a disconnect between squeezing the trigger on the Move controller and using the in-game hands. I think this is what a phantom limb must feel like.

muteki

Speaking of Playroom VR platformer, was anyone able to rescue all robots? I miss like 4 or 5 everytime and cant seem to find one "near cliff."

Have you played the game multiplayer? Several bots seem locked away and can only be reached using the player 2 hover-vacuum thingy.

chippy13

Speaking of Playroom VR platformer, was anyone able to rescue all robots? I miss like 4 or 5 everytime and cant seem to find one "near cliff."

There are at least 2 that you need a second player for
to use the vacuum on fans to open doors and move platforms. There is also one on a ledge that you have to look down at next to the platform that zip lines over.

If Pro can bump up all games to that level of clarity it'll be worth every penny..

I really had almost no interest in getting a Pro since my tv isn't 4k nor does it have HDR. But after using the PSVR and hearing that it should help give the IQ a boost, I'm all for it.

Hoping GameStop or something has a really good trade-in deal.

Ozorov

I really had almost no interest in getting a Pro since my tv isn't 4k nor does it have HDR. But after using the PSVR and hearing that it should help give the IQ a boost, I'm all for it.

I read that upcoming sci fi shooter(F something) has 2x the pixels on Pro. Should be quite noticeable.

I read that upcoming sci fi shooter has 2x the pixels on Pro. Should be quite noticeable.

I'm hoping that CCP puts out an update for Valkyrie as well, since as fun as it is, it's looks more like an arcade game.

I know the resolution on is 1080p, so it would be nice if the Pro could help games get more to the IQ of the Playroom VR platformer.

Maulik

I am genuinely impressed with how EVE looks on the regular PS4. I have had a blast playing mp games on there and the sense of presence is probably the best out of the launch lineup.

You know what, I turned 50 this March (16th,preorder day),been gaming for over 40 years.... seen all the changes and advancements in programming and tech bringing us forever increasing immersion and entertainment in our hobby.

Well, PSVR just brought that "kid at Xmas" feeling right back to this cynical bastard. I really can't wait to see and play all the coming titles over the next few months, it's bloody great time to be a gamer!
I bought rigs, dcvr,thumper...been through the demo disc and playroom vr (yep, that platformer NEEDS a full game) and theres nothing I'd consider *crap* amongst em all.

Sony, if I wore a cap I'd doff it in your direction.

Just turned 46 and I completely agree. Feels like Xmas 1978.. just unwrapped my Atari for Xmas and fired up Pitfall... Dem feels.

LiK

Anyone else a fan of Danger Ball? That is fun. I would've kept playing if the drift issue didn't happen to me.

KORNdoggy

Finally tried thumper...my god that is one amazing game. I almost has some sort of spiritual enlightenment playing the demo. Definately one i'm going to buy.

Rbdan

Neo Member
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the lenses are glass or plastic?

Just want to know how careful I should be when cleaning them.

Thanks!

LiK

Hey guys,

Thanks!

i think they're glass. i just use the included microfiber cloth to wipe it. they mention no fluids should be used.

I read that upcoming sci fi shooter(F something) has 2x the pixels on Pro. Should be quite noticeable.

Farpoint is one of my most anticipated VR games and yeah, in the original trailer for the game based on regular PS4, you can see where they make concessions to make the game as realistic and immersive as it seems. Like it already looks REALLY good despite noticeable drawbacks, so the Pro version should be incredible.

vpance

Yeah. IQ boost from Pro will be a big plus.

I keep reading people write, once you're immersed in VR the jaggies and bluriness goes away. I say BS. At least for me, it takes me out of the experience a fair amount.

____

You made the right choice, this time anyway. Cancelling a month out is a chump move unless you needed the money, there hadn't even been impressions yet. And media/reviewer impressions seem to be a lot different than this thread.

Eh, it's not that i -neeeeeed- the money, I just didn't really -neeeeed- to spend it, either. But now I'm like full on fuggit mode.

Grinchy

Banned
There's nothing as terrible at motion sickness imo, leaves me out of it for hours if not days. I'm steering clear of Driveclub, I've heard nothing but horror stories about the motion sickness.

It's interesting how certain titles affect certain people. Driveclub did nothing to me at all in terms of motion sickness. World War Toons was an immediate NOPE and was the first game to make me worried about buying games that don't come with demos.

gcubed

Hey guys,

Thanks!

i think they're glass. i just use the included microfiber cloth to wipe it. they mention no fluids should be used.

They are glass. Sony repeatedly says not to use any liquid but I can't clean the smudges dry

DjRalford

After setting up each eye individually in the headset, and wearing my glasses, i replayed driveclub and it's not actually as bad as i first thought, i managed a good 15 minute stint on time trials in the ferrari with no wobbling or drifting and it was so much easier seeing the upcoming corners and drifting round on the apex.

Yeah. IQ boost from Pro will be a big plus.

I keep reading people write, once you're immersed in VR the jaggies and bluriness goes away. I say BS. At least for me, it takes me out of the experience a fair amount.

I can kind of see that, if you're focused on certain points you're paying less attention to everything else. To me it's always kind of present though when you look back down around your ship. Though I will say it doesn't really take me out of the experience.

SHarris78

My play area is quite small with my room layout and I ran into problems with the Job Simulator demo. Am I right in thinking if I just turn the camera so it faces an area of the room where there's a little more space it should solve the problem?

DjRalford

My play area is quite small with my room layout and I ran into problems with the Job Simulator demo. Am I right in thinking if I just turn the camera so it faces an area of the room where there's a little more space it should solve the problem?

yup, theres no need to actually face the TV itself, in fact i would imagine its better that way as theres no light bouncing off the headset from the TV.

DjRalford

What does this mean?

shutting one eye and moving it round until its crystal clear, then doing it for the other eye whilst swapping after each adjustment to make sure the first stays clear.

It actually felt like the headset was slightly wonky on my head, by my vision was crystal clear in both eyes and as such improved the clarity when using both.

phant0m

The only one for me is Here They Lie, I think the severe low rez and the movement is a bad combination.

Tried playing that off the demo disc, didn't make me feel sick but the visuals and weird fade-in/out when you tried to turn were so bad I quit after 5 minutes.

Eh, it's not that i -neeeeeed- the money, I just didn't really -neeeeed- to spend it, either. But now I'm like full on fuggit mode.

Provided it doesn't make you feel sick, you're in for a great time tonight!

My girlfriend's sister came over last night, they'd been out and had a few drinks. She played the shark encounter from VR Worlds and absolutely loved it. She seemed pretty amazed and really enthused for VR after saying she thought it would turn out to be a gimmick. Really great to hear. Then we made her play Kitchen and she literally fell of the chair at the end!

I'd had some experience of VR before so to me PSVR was great but hasn't really hit me the way its hitting other ordinary folk who never tried it before. They're astonished :)

Edit might as well post the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9jWkB0eNa8

OMG, lol, that ending!

shutting one eye and moving it round until its crystal clear, then doing it for the other eye whilst swapping after each adjustment to make sure the first stays clear.

It actually felt like the headset was slightly wonky on my head, by my vision was crystal clear in both eyes and as such improved the clarity when using both.
Do you mean just physically moving the headset around on your head or is this some kind of software-based adjustment that I might have missed?

Are there any big games with lots to play, or is most stuff just overpriced tech demos? I'll get a PSVR when there's enough in stock (Finland got hyped and it's sold out everywhere!) but I've been wondering what to get.

I thought of getting RIGS and Eve Valkyrie at first, should these give me plenty to play for the first month? I heard Batman is really short and I know there's cash grabs like VR Worlds that is just a demo disc they want €40 for.

Are there any big games with lots to play, or is most stuff just overpriced tech demos? I'll get a PSVR when there's enough in stock (Finland got hyped and it's sold out everywhere!) but I've been wondering what to get.

I thought of getting RIGS and Eve Valkyrie at first, should these give me plenty to play for the first month? I heard Batman is really short and I know there's cash grabs like VR Worlds that is just a demo disc they want €40 for.

Batman, Until Dawn, Rez and Thumper are all at the lower price level and very high quality with lots of replayability. Well worth the money IMO

But no, I wouldn't call those games "big," just not overpriced or tech demos.

____

Provided it doesn't make you feel sick, you're in for a great time tonight!

The good thing is I never typically feel motion sickness (I travel by ship a fair amount of times per year, but not sure if it's the same feeling) so I'm confident I'll be blown away tonight. Can. Not. Wait.

Grinchy

Banned

RIGS is what you're looking for IMO. It's incredibly fleshed-out.

I haven't personally used a Vive, but there's a streamer on twitch I watch who has been playing only Vive games since it launched. He's big into Onward. He got a PSVR and was not only extremely happy with it but he said RIGS is the most polished and complete VR game in existence.

The good thing is I never typically feel motion sickness (I travel by ship a fair amount of times per year, but not sure if it's the same feeling) so I'm confident I'll be blown away tonight. Can. Not. Wait.

If you've never tried VR, you will be blown away. It's much better than I was expecting it to be.

IMO first thing you should do is try the Ocean Descent demo from VR Worlds on the demo disc. It's underwater and the PSVR already feels like you're wearing a snorkeling mask (so it's really immersive), and it's non-interactive so it's a nice intro to the feeling of VR.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So my PSVR Launch bundle got "sent to the wrong carrier facility" by Amazon, and I still haven't gotten it despite it being scheduled to arrive on launch day. They aren't able to tell me if it will ever actually arrive. Did anyone else have this problem?

I'm pretty frustrated.

DjRalford

Do you mean just physically moving the headset around on your head or is this some kind of software-based adjustment that I might have missed?

yes, physically moving it up down and side to side, as i said it felt twisted when i;d finished but i had crystal clear vision, i'm guessing when i put the headset on before and it felt straight one of my eyes were out of focus.

bumpkin

So you know what I can't figure out? How exactly to play the Playroom VR platformer game co-op. I turned on a second controller while my wife was playing, but I couldn't figure out how to join.

Glix

There are demos of the games on VR Worlds on the US demo disk and The Heist and the Underwater thing are so impressive I'm considering picking up the full "game".

Glix

So you know what I can't figure out? How exactly to play the Playroom VR platformer game co-op. I turned on a second controller while my wife was playing, but I couldn't figure out how to join.

Same thing happened to me I think you need to join at the very start, its not drop in drop out.

LiK

They are glass. Sony repeatedly says not to use any liquid but I can't clean the smudges dry

I used my own fingers to kinda wipe the weird residue that the original plastic protectors left and then wiped with the included cloth in a firm circular motions. Got rid of them that way. Might work with smudges.

Excellent!

So scratching them would be all but impossible?

Well, I wouldn't risk it, haha. I guess just treat them like glasses since they're the most important part of the headset.

So my PSVR Launch bundle got "sent to the wrong carrier facility" by Amazon, and I still haven't gotten it despite it being scheduled to arrive on launch day. They aren't able to tell me if it will ever actually arrive. Did anyone else have this problem?

I'm pretty frustrated.

Amazon said this? I'd contact Amazon directly they're usually very good about stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom