• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hoping for a 3rd party light shield. To get the screen in focus I have to have the headset twisted a bit pulling the shield far enough from the right side of my face to have the room visible in my peripheral view. hopefully a 3rd party comes out with a replacement shield/burka with significantly more coverage than the standard.

Love this device.

Batman VR was amazing. Great graphics as well.

Kitchen was terrifying. RE7 is going to be fantastic in VR.

Still need to try Rigs, Rez, and Thumper.

VR Worlds, was very neat.

The first time I used the PSVR, I did feel a little nauseous. I've gotten use to the headset, and I don't get nauseous anymore. Definitely excited for PS4 Pro, and PSVR. Batman looked great, but most of the games I've tried so far, are somewhat of a let down graphically. I hope PS4 Pro fixes that problem.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I asked this before without replies, so does PSVR work with any "vr-video"? Has anyone downloaded and transferred 360 videos to their PS4 and watched them with it?
Yes, just download the 180° or 360° video in a compatible format (e.g. mp4), copy to the Videos directory of a USB stick and open up using the updated Media Player app. When your PSVR is plugged in if you press start (I think it was that) then you get the option to open in VR Mode. The video then plays with full head rotation.

It doesn't seem to be bothered about the camera being able to see you either if your worried about Sony tracking your 'viewing habits'.

How much do you think the processing unit is? any breakdowns yet??

I wish I could pick up a second one for a different PS4 or to more easily take the entire PSVR to a friends house, while leaving a permanent setup at home.

DjRalford

When you read that 'all the text should be clear' screen, if you look straight is the entire paragraph clear or are the words at the far left and right slightly more blurred?

I can never get that screen to be as sharp as I'd like, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to though.

after doing it everything was crystal clear

When you read that 'all the text should be clear' screen, if you look straight is the entire paragraph clear or are the words at the far left and right slightly more blurred?

I can never get that screen to be as sharp as I'd like, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to though.
How do I get to this screen?

hoping for a 3rd party light shield. To get the screen in focus I have to have the headset twisted a bit pulling the shield far enough from the right side of my face to have the room visible in my peripheral view. hopefully a 3rd party comes out with a replacement shield/burka with significantly more coverage than the standard.

I turn off the TV and all the lights in the room. Then it's just the light from the DS4 lightbar creeping in. You can also wear a hoodie for the light leak coming in the top.

Everyone should head to Costco and pick up their eyeglass cloth from their vision center. Using these on my glasses for years. Works WAY better and is way softer than Sony's included cloth.

Oh man, can confirm. While I didn't have vision covered on insurance, I would go to Costco for my glasses/contacts and still have two of their cloths which I use to this day.

Now, if they weren't booked solid for up to a month, I'd probably go again for my eye exams.

Waveset

Am I missing the obvious UK alternative to Vrideo, littleStar cinema doesn't have much 360° content.

No, just make a US PSN account, use it to log in to your PS4, set it as that account's primary machine, download Vrideo and Within, log out and back into your UK account and you can use those apps.

I asked this before without replies, so does PSVR work with any "vr-video"? Has anyone downloaded and transferred 360 videos to their PS4 and watched them with it?

I haven't yet done this myself but a simple way is to use a YouTube downloading program or extension for your browser then transfer those videos to a USB device, plug into your PS4 and play using the media player or, use something like Universal Media Server to stream them from your PC to the PS4.

DjRalford

How do I get to this screen?

I turn off the TV and all the lights in the room. Then it's just the light from the DS4 lightbar creeping in. You can also wear a hoodie for the light leak coming in the top.

Think its in the pop up menu when you hold the PS button, goto adjust VR position or something.

DavidDesu

Sitting here tapping a beat on my laptop and just had a thought. WE NEED A MUSIC APP. Namely I'm thinking virtual drum kit. You can pick different drum pads and position them however you see fit and just muck around. Also would love to use weird virtual instruments that can only really exist in VR, moving the Moves in different directions changes pitch etc...

WHY DID NO ONE MAKE THIS FOR LAUNCH!?

Clockwork5

I've never really had any trouble with depth perception before, but I notice with PSVR that things don't really seem like they're in 3D. I don't have a strong sense of "presence" like people talk about. It's more like I'm sitting in the middle of a dome-shaped screen. Everything feels sorta flat.

Anyone else?
It varies from app to app for me. Have you tried resetting your eye separation distance in the PS settings menu?

Sitting here tapping a beat on my laptop and just had a thought. WE NEED A MUSIC APP. Namely I'm thinking virtual drum kit. You can pick different drum pads and position them however you see fit and just muck around. Also would love to use weird virtual instruments that can only really exist in VR, moving the Moves in different directions changes pitch etc...

WHY DID NO ONE MAKE THIS FOR LAUNCH!?

Heh, this is essentially what Soundstage for the Vive is to a "T", it's a blast. Hopefully you guys get something similar.

https://youtu.be/SxGCaHBJdfg

PJV3

No, just make a US PSN account, use it to log in to your PS4, set it as that account's primary machine, download Vrideo and Within, log out and back into your UK account and you can use those apps. PS

Cool, thanks.
I didn't realise you could make a US account a primary one on the same machine, that's gonna make it a lot less cumbersome.

itsFizz

So in essence at first I wanted to return my PSVR (not cause it sucks but because i didn´t "need" it) almost 4 days later I´m 95% sure I´ll keep it (also 2 of 4 people who tested it will buy one soon). Anyways... are there any more "lightgun shooters" announced? I LOVE until dawn and hope there will be ALOT more of these experiences.
Oh here´s my first game impressions:
Until dawn (demo): 9/10
Driveclub (demo): 8/10
Playroom VR(platformer): 100/10 seriously I LOVE this-....gimme more sony!!
Here they lie (demo): 7/10
REZ (demo): 9/10
Reccomend me some games with 2+ hours gameplay^^

Teknoman

So I just got a 50 dollar gamestop gift card. Im thinking about just getting PSN money with it honestly. I know I want Job Sim, and I already have Rez and Eve Valkyrie... could just wait and see what else comes down the line. I dunno though. Still undecided about Thumper and Until Dawn.

Of course Until Dawn feels like you're in From Dusk till Dawn during a vampire shootout so...leaning to that lol.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Agreed. My game of the year so far. Had a blast from start to finish. For 20$ everyone needs to buy this game if you can handle scares.
Wait, it's only $20?

Just based on the demo, even though I'm not for scary stuff, that price is embarrassing some other launch titles.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
YES.

For clarity: The screen has MUCH less screen door effect. In Gear you can virtually see the pixels and even the sub pixels, and with a noticeable gap between them. PSVR has slightly lower resolution but this effect is massively reduced on PSVR. I find it deals with darker colours better than the Gear did, and there's massively reduced smearing (when black elements of the image blur onto lighter elements when you move your head).

And the best thing about it... PSVR is much clearer to the edges of the screen. Gear VR's sweet spot was like a circle in the middle of your vision then got real blurry real quick just outside of that area. PSVR's clear zone extends much further, basically most of the way until you reach the edge of the lenses.

The bolded is what I had the biggest issue with in GearVR with Netflix. Thanks will try this on PSVR tonight.

jamsy

Has anyone had their VR headset turn black for a second during use? It almost looks like it gets unplugged, but only lasts for a second or something.

This has happened to me a few times. Is this a connection issue?

Pejo

I just finished Area X in Rez. OMG, I want a full Rez 2 like that!

I'm not too impressed with Harmonix Music VR so far. There's the psychedelic caleidoscope visualizer, the dull island visualizer, the simplistic "pose a doll" dance thing, and then the modelling that I can't try yet without two Moves. Is that what everyone is raving about?

Thumper is cool but a bit too strict on the timing for me.

Those are the games I bought so far. From the rest, Battlezone was nice and might be worth buying. Rigs was not my thing. EVE was over before I could blink. Driveclub is sort of cool. Allumette was neat but VERY brief. VR Worlds is mostly just good for the diving demo, which was my first introduction. I'm looking forward to trying the Playroom games though, they seem to have a Nintendoland vibe. And that platformer was AWESOME, I want more!

I should probably just bite the bullet and buy REZ. I tried the demo but wasn't super impressed, but everyone else seems to love it, so maybe I just don't "get" it yet.

Thanks for the impressions on Harmonix Music VR, I haven't heard much talk about it. The demo was OK, but I didn't understand what the actually gameplay was, or what you could expect from the real release. It'd probably just be cool enough to pick up on sale to listen to my music collection though.

Also, VR Worlds' most fun thing for me was definitely the Danger ball. I don't like that it was all head-tracked, but it was a really cool spin on Pong, and felt damn good when you got that heavy backspin on a shot and zip it right by the AI. That'd be a really great game PVP.

I also liked the Strange Journey thing (I might be mis-remembering the name), where you pilot the spider mech. It was the most "videogame" thing on the disc, but it was also the only VR game to give me a headache and mild nausea. That said, it was at the end of a 2 hour game session, so maybe my body just needed a break by that point.

I really hope we get more traditional genres of games with enhanced VR functionality, like the Playroom VR platformer level. I'd love being able to kick ass as Dante with my head controlling the camera, or things of that nature in like a DMC5 VR.

Flandy

Fuck I think there's a small crack on my left lens. I think it's causing blur when I look through it :(. When I close my right eye it looks noticeably blurrier than when I just close my left eye

Fisty

Is there a Dreams video showing virtual instrument interaction? Didn't think it had anything like that.

Not in a video per se, but all the LBPs have had the ability to create your own music and instruments. I can't see them skipping out on that feature for something like what they are positioning Dreams as.

Until Dawn is my 2016 GOTY as well.

It's so atmospheric and immersive, and a blast to return to the world of Until Dawn if you played the original last year. It's so freaking replayable. Just a real pleasure being in that world.

It also happens to be the only roller coaster game currently available on PSVR, which is weird because roller coasters and VR were made for each other.

Just finished the Arkham story.

That last section (you know what I mean) was incredible.
Reminds me of playing Asylum and all those gags happen towards the end of the game only this time I'm fucking standing inside of them. Crazy.

I didn't know there was more to do after the story...very happy about this.

Maligna

Banned
I've never really had any trouble with depth perception before, but I notice with PSVR that things don't really seem like they're in 3D. I don't have a strong sense of "presence" like people talk about. It's more like I'm sitting in the middle of a dome-shaped screen. Everything feels sorta flat.

Anyone else?

Are you moving around or just sitting in place? Feel free to look around/over/under things.

Has anyone had their VR headset turn black for a second during use? It almost looks like it gets unplugged, but only lasts for a second or something.

I had something similar to this happen with London Heist. Would look left or right and screen world fade to black. Just sat closer to my camera and it stopped happening.

lifa-cobex

Only when loading. Never during actual gaming.

Finally going to pick up my launch bundle later tonight, I shipped it to a friend who was in the US since it's not being released here in Mexico, he arrived yesterday and I'm just gonna get off work early to go pick it up at his place. Already have downloaded the demo disc, Allumette, Playroom VR, Batman and Until Dawn ROB. Thinking about also getting thumper/res/wayward sky/tumble depending on how I like the demos.

I already tried Gear VR but I'm really excited for PSVR!!!!!

Peltz

Anyone else?

Not at all... are you sure you're playing games that have VR mode enabled? Content in VR is the most 3D looking stuff I've ever seen to the point where I actually duck out of the way when stuff comes flying towards me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My wife playing PSVR for the first time. Put her in the ocean dive game.
This experience alone made the $40 for VR Worlds all worth it because I can't get her to play any other "regular" PS4 games with me. She said she literally felt the cage shaking and moving lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nZBytQfYI

majik13

Wait... Squarepushee as in THE Squarepusher? As in the guy I'm listening to right now as I type this?

This I gotta see.

Yeah, that VR Squarepusher music video(not actually a video, looks in engine) has been out for awhile, watched it earlier this year on GearVR from the Oculus Store. Unless they made this version a video?

farisr

They will. Sadly, I doubt Driveclub and PS Worlds will get a patch due to the developers being closed down. :(
Well, actually, Rushy confirmed that there are Driveclub VR enhancements for the Pro. While it won't be taking full advantage of the hardware, there will be improvements.

And unless I dreamt this up or something, I recall looking at the update details for PS VR Worlds and it mentions the PS4 Pro there. I won't have access to a ps4 for a few hours so can't absolutely confirm or take a screencap right away. And yeah, as Loudninja said a few posts down, the devs for this are not shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom