• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ammogeddon

I really wish I could handle scary things when I read these Until Dawn impressions :(

Coming from someone who normally won't play horror games I can say it's worth giving it a go. Who cares if you end up with PTSD.

From a technical point of view it's one of the best PSVR games for giving you a sense of presence currently available.

OH MY GOD the fifth level of Rush of Blood
spiders
. P.T has finally been beaten. I actually shut my eyes and was legit shook and sweating afterwards. You fucking bastards.

AlexIIDX

I wish I could just skip to the drawing part of the harmonix demo. When a straight up 3d drawing game like that pops up on psvr it's an instabuy for me. It's so cool.

OH MY GOD the fifth level of Rush of Blood
spiders
. P.T has finally been beaten. I actually shut my eyes and was legit shook and sweating afterwards. You fucking bastards.

Fuck dude I could barely handle the second level. Didn't read your spoiler but now I'm legit scared to continue lol.

Until Dawn.
I have tried most of the levels and loved them all except for the boring first one (Haunted Cabin, I think)..
The one that fucked me up was the Spider one. Really felt like they were on my head!!!

elcapitan

Getting consecutive pinpoint shots in the London Heist shooting gallery makes me feel like John Wick. Spent hours just shooting targets last night. Even got number 1 on one of the challenges! I hope VR leads the light gun renaissance because shooting things is just plain fun.

Coming from someone who normally won't play horror games I can say it's worth giving it a go. Who cares if you end up with PTSD.

From a technical point of view it's one of the best PSVR games for giving you a sense of presence currently available.

I've been thinking about having a few shots of tequila and seeing if I can endure these scary experiences 😜

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
My wife playing PSVR for the first time. Put her in the ocean dive game.
This experience alone made the $40 for VR Worlds all worth it because I can't get her to play any other "regular" PS4 games with me. She said she literally felt the cage shaking and moving lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nZBytQfYI

Haha, that was an awesome reaction to that demo. You could tell she really felt like she was there. Have you guys tried the Kitchen demo yet?

Sony London are not closed down,they moved on to their next VR project.

YES! Cause in my opinion, they nailed London Heist. Hopefully they build on that, maybe London Heist ends up being a prequel to a full game. As I said before, even if it is a collection of "experiences" like shoot outs, driving, puzzle solving, all connected with cut scenes. I just want a full London Heist Game!

joebruin

This case looks awesome! The interior is molded to fit the headset. There is a cutout for the cables connected to the Headset, and a removable pouch for the breakout box. However, it is a bit pricey at $59.99. I will jump all over it if there is a price drop or I can get some certificates through rewards! Or, it will be a great christmas gift.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/psvr-system-travel-case/132730

129066b1.jpg

i just use the box it came in lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Haha, that was an awesome reaction to that demo. You could tell she really felt like she was there. Have you guys tried the Kitchen demo yet?

I can't do that to her lol. I'm amazed at these Gaffers putting their mom's through the Kitchen Demo. If I did that to my wife, I wouldn't get any for a month. :(

Just too intense. The shark dive almost made a neighbor call the cops because she was screaming sooo loud. Would have been a weird conversation with the cops too.

Best thing I've done so far is the Until Dawn level 2. It was so overwhelming and it made me feel like I was right there. When all the
pigs started going fuck wild
I almost pulled the headset off.

MaximumX2

The Fool Who Follows Her
I picked up a PSVR last night... mind completely blown. It reminds me of the feeling I got when I played Super Mario 64 for the first time. I was apprehensive about picking it up because, like others said, I didn't really need it as well, but boy am I glad I decided to join the VR movement.

I was also worried about the lack of "real" games, and wanted more than gimmicks, but for now, the gimmicks are really allowing me to see the potential uses, and I keep wanting to try different types of games to experience something different.

Quick question for everyone. I'm hearing a lot about "Kitchen" and I can't find the demo or game itself in the PS store? Can anyone tell me where I can try it? I haven't opened the VR demo disc yet, so if it's there then I'll inevitably come across it...

robotrock

Banned
I picked up a PSVR last night... mind completely blown. It reminds me of the feeling I got when I played Super Mario 64 for the first time. I was apprehensive about picking it up because, like others said, I didn't really need it as well, but boy am I glad I decided to join the VR movement.

I was also worried about the lack of "real" games, and wanted more than gimmicks, but for now, the gimmicks are really allowing me to see the potential uses, and I keep wanting to try different types of games to experience something different.

Quick question for everyone. I'm hearing a lot about "Kitchen" and I can't find the demo or game itself in the PS store? Can anyone tell me where I can try it? I haven't opened the VR demo disc yet, so if it's there then I'll inevitably come across it...

Yep, Kitchen is on that demo disc.

Anyone know if there going to release "The Walk" that they demoed at some shows?
Would LOVE to try that out, but cant seem to find anything on a release date.

cakely

It is on the demo disk, at least it was for the US release.

Nags

Banned
I've never really had any trouble with depth perception before, but I notice with PSVR that things don't really seem like they're in 3D. I don't have a strong sense of "presence" like people talk about. It's more like I'm sitting in the middle of a dome-shaped screen. Everything feels sorta flat.

Anyone else?

Everything is truly in 3D on PSVR. Just like the other headsets. Maybe there is an issue with your unit?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Basically the exact same way I feel. Nearly exactly, even with the excitement in the video. I like this guy! Very passionate, I am going to have to watch more of his stuff.

I agree with, "I am not saying you have to rush out and buy it, but if you know someone that has it, you have got to try it!"

That's why I posted it. It seemed to reflect exactly the same sentiments I'm seeing from GAF members. It's really weird how the mainstream media no longer seem to reflect what gamers actually like. A lot of them are talking about it as if it's 'so-so' and yet here we are with hundreds of people literally blown away by the tech.

Standing on the elevator as I was lowered into the Batcave in Arkham VR was the "wow" moment for me. So many ideas flooded my head with the potential of this device, I can only hope it's successful enough that we see some of that potential realized.

Thumper and Rez are phenomenal, as is Super Hyper Cube. I'm really looking forward to RE7 as Kitchen has scared the pants off of everyone I've put the headset on including myself.

I also have to note that I was pretty impressed with Cinema Mode. Going in, I heard nothing but negativity about how low resolution it was, but it's not bad at all. I wouldn't make it my primary method of watching media, but watching The Force Awakens on made it feel like I was back in that theater on opening night.

The future is here, guys. It's so exciting!

I'm not too impressed with Harmonix Music VR so far. There's the psychedelic caleidoscope visualizer, the dull island visualizer, the simplistic "pose a doll" dance thing, and then the modelling that I can't try yet without two Moves. Is that what everyone is raving about?

Yeah
The modelling one is great. You create in 3d space and you can pop down widgets and they pulse in 3d to the music. The best part of their demo. Enjoyed it tremendously and (also though the dancing people one was funny) . The dual moves are completely necessary, especially when you have games like until dawn and the London heist.

Can't wait for farpoint. Played it at every games and there's something starship troopers ish about it, need!!!

Skatterd

That's why I posted it. It seemed to reflect exactly the same sentiments I'm seeing from GAF members. It's really weird how the mainstream media no longer seem to reflect what gamers actually like. A lot of them are talking about it as if it's 'so-so' and yet here we are with hundreds of people literally blown away by the tech.

I think it's mostly because people don't know how to talk critically about VR yet.
You can't compare it to conventional game design, that's why it's a lot of experiences right now and not traditional games. We're going back to square one basically. It became obvious to me pretty quickly that putting most games in VR doesn't make that game better, the game needs to be designed around it to play off the strengths and weaknesses. It's a very different thing.

SpecX

Still haven't really played with my VR to the full extent to get the full impact, but love the hardware. I'm sitting on the couch watching videos while my wife is watching tv and I can also switch over to other games without interrupting. She always got pissed when I left the room to go game, but she's ok with me being there on the headset doing the same. Game changer for that option alone!

I think it's mostly because people don't know how to talk critically about VR yet.
You can't compare it to conventional game design, that's why it's a lot of experiences right now and not traditional games. We're going back to square one basically. It became obvious to me pretty quickly that putting most games in VR doesn't make that game better, the game needs to be designed around it to play off the strengths and weaknesses. It's a very different thing.

There are plenty of traditional real games though. Eve, rigs, drive club, rez, thumper, until dawn and more.

But yeah of course the games need to be designed for VR.

My headset finally arrived. Had tried it out at Best Buy a couple times over the summer so I was already sold, but I threw Ocean Descent and The Heist on and I'm already so giddy.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Until Dawn.
I have tried most of the levels and loved them all except for the boring first one (Haunted Cabin, I think)..
The one that fucked me up was the Spider one. Really felt like they were on my head!!!

This is my favorite VR game. So good and intense, I don't like horror that much but I just feel like playing it.

Tried out every demo on the disc and played a bunch of playroom VR with my mom and a buddy of mine. Tons of fun.

Will probably get until dawn tomorrow since it's only 20€. Might pick up thumper or rez as well.

I was really impressed by Eve: Valkyrie despite the short 2 minute demo. However i read that it's a MP game with only a barebones SP campaign. So not sure if it's worth the 60€ price tag.

Also really looking forward to Resident Evil 7 now. I was absolutely terrified when playing the Kitchen demo.

After trying some demos the past 2 nights without any nausea problems they finally arrived with RIGS today. Man that game really gets to me.

corin7

Neo Member
Will probably get until dawn tomorrow since it's only 20€. Might pick up thumper or rez as well.

I was really impressed by Eve: Valkyrie despite the short 2 minute demo. However i read that it's a MP game with only a barebones SP campaign. So not sure if it's worth the 60€ price tag.

EVE is most definitely 90% multiplayer focused. Super fun though if you you are into that. You should absolutely get Rez. Without reservation everyone should get Rez.

Teknoman

Has anyone had their VR headset turn black for a second during use? It almost looks like it gets unplugged, but only lasts for a second or something.

This has happened to me a few times. Is this a connection issue?

This just happened to me twice while playing Rez. Its like the entire headset dropped connectivity and then reconnects? I could hear the sound from the TV during the blackness. And none of the cables are loose...

On that note, Playroom VR platformer really is pretty cool. I could play a full game based on that or platformers with similar tech.

Decider

Asked in the pickups thread but nobody bit and I can't find a conclusive answer anywhere else:

Does the physical release of Arkham VR contain the game on a disc? I'm holding off on importing what might just turn it to be a download code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom