• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ammogeddon

So is Eve worth getting?

The demo is too short to judge and I can't swap the invert aim which basically makes flight games impossible for me.

Ephemeris

Asked in the pickups thread but nobody bit and I can't find a conclusive answer anywhere else:

Does the physical release of Arkham VR contain the game on a disc? I'm holding off on importing what might just turn it to be a download code.

Yeah it's on the disc.

This just happened to me twice while playing Rez. Its like the entire headset dropped connectivity and then reconnects? I could hear the sound from the TV during the blackness. And none of the cables are loose...

On that note, Playroom VR platformer really is pretty cool. I could play a full game based on that or platformers with similar tech.

Yup, this was happening to me tonight while playing RIGS. Like the connection was loose or something.

PBY

Banned
Seems like no one is talking about RIGS? I assumed that would be the "thing", given that its the closest thing to a real "full" game for VR, outside of maybe thumper or rez, which you can play elsewhere.

Why is that?

So is Eve worth getting?

The demo is too short to judge and I can't swap the invert aim which basically makes flight games impossible for me.
Oh it's definitely worth it, best PSVR game in my opinion. Get it if you even remotely like space sims/shooters. I play a lot of Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen and the immersion I get from those games is nothing compared to Eve Valkyrie.

Aceun

Playroom is so good I want to pay for it.

The platformer is obviously the coolest thing I've experienced in gaming for a few years now, but man that minibot room is LIFE once complete. Their reactions to you are sooooo good. I do hope we get a full Robot Rescue game with this room as a trophy room of sorts.

Batman VR is just a blast. I find myself wanting to constantly go back to the world. Also, pulling up character models in the batcave is how I want profiles to be done in every game. I feel like artists spend so much time creating these amazing character models and this is an awesome way to show that off. I also love that it's to scale. The final moments in that game are so Arkham with a super sweet VR twist.

I tried a WHOLE bunch of stuff and I learned that horror in VR is so terrifying I just can't do it. I can play a horror game, just not in VR.

Thumper. Yo.

The other stuff I found fun in a fleeting way, but the games I mentioned above (besides the horror stuff) makes me super stoked for what's to come.

Kilau

For me, this is like reliving the PS1 and N64 era of 3D all over again.

The excitement, the new experiences, the jankiness lol.

I don't want to play anything now if it's not in VR.

OK I am ready to review some games for PSVR:

Rigs: A+
Until Dawn: A+
Rez: A+
Arkham VR: A+
Thumper: A+
Driveclub VR: A+
Eve Valkyrie: A+
Super Hyper Cube: A+
PlayStation VR Worlds: A+
Battlezone: A+
Tumble VR: A+
Playroom VR: A+

Grinchy

Banned
I've definitely come to the conclusion that distance from the camera is the main factor in tracking. Even with sunlight lighting up my room, having the camera propped up on the PSVR box on top of my coffee table ~4 feet away from me gives me nearly flawless tracking.

I think I'm going to do what someone on Reddit did and cable tie the camera to a microphone stand like this:

snqW6Lg.jpg

Then you can move the camera around freely to anywhere you want in a room, set it to the perfect height whether you're standing or sitting, and put it all away in the corner somewhere when you're not using it.

DjRalford

OK I am ready to review some games for PSVR:

Rigs: A+
Until Dawn: A+
Rez: A+
Arkham VR: A+
Thumper: A+
Driveclub VR: A+
Eve Valkyrie: A+
Super Hyper Cube: A+
PlayStation VR Worlds: A+
Battlezone: A+
Tumble VR: A+
Playroom VR: A+

So it was you who went therlough the PS Store 5* every single game!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Rush of Blood with two move controllers is the most insane intense gaming experience I've ever had. It's just unbelievable.

Codiox

Okay, against all recommendations I bought eve today and I'm having an absolute blast! Even the beginning in the menu is so awesome and much better than the demo. There is a lot of customization and many things you can unlock. You I've only played team deathmatch for 2h straight and loving it. The game is real arcade-y like some old school shooters, which I really adore. There are also many "holy shit" moments, for example when you see how huge a planet is or when you die and the glass breaks and the cockpit freezes because of temperature. For VR this game looks really good I think. But I don't have a problem with any vr graphics because the immersion is just too strong in every game I've played.

For sci-fi fans who are looking for a game where you can play in burst or just one quick round imo this is the best launch game. If anyone wanna form a squad sometime add me: C0D10X

Would love to get some coop players. With voicechat this must be amazing.

I think this and sports bar vr are my main games right. Don't need anything else for some time.

Also dragon quest builders in cinema mode works really good. I have no problems with the screen quality and resolution.

Nags

Banned
I'm getting much more use to this. I can play Rigs with no issue now. Just finished the tutorial. Sort of lengthy but it's necessary and there it's very informative. Going to try playing online in a bit.

Wollan

Just filmed my mates reaction to Kitchen (borrowing him my PSVR as I'm abroad). Absolutely hilarious.
Maybe I will post it later with his Ok.

Fox1304

Sportsbar. Is just so silly. Love popping some beer while playing open table and try doing juggles while waiting for the other player. Darts are impossible to play though.

Codiox

Sportsbar. Is just so silly. Love popping some beer while playing open table and try doing juggles while waiting for the other player. Darts are impossible to play though.

I played with one fellow gaffer today and he totally destroyed me in darts. I think there is a way to play darts really good, but I didn't find it yet.

Sorral

Playroom VR platformer made me feel like a kid again. it was really great.

My glasses are definitely in the way though and I should start using my contact lenses with it.

Shikoba

Okay, against all recommendations I bought eve today and I'm having an absolute blast! Even the beginning in the menu is so awesome and much better than the demo. There is a lot of customization and many things you can unlock. You I've only played team deathmatch for 2h straight and loving it. The game is real arcade-y like some old school shooters, which I really adore. There are also many "holy shit" moments, for example when you see how huge a planet is or when you die and the glass breaks and the cockpit freezes because of temperature. For VR this game looks really good I think. But I don't have a problem with any vr graphics because the immersion is just too strong in every game I've played.

For sci-fi fans who are looking for a game where you can play in burst or just one quick round imo this is the best launch game. If anyone wanna form a squad sometime add me: C0D10X

Would love to get some coop players. With voicechat this must be amazing.

I think this and sports bar vr are my main games right. Don't need anything else for some time.

Also dragon quest builders in cinema mode works really good. I have no problems with the screen quality and resolution.

I agree. I know people frown on the game. but Seriously... Rigs and Eve will keep me coming back to my PSVR for awhile. I think Eve is great. While I love VR Worlds, Batman, and all the demos... they will only keep me entertained for a week or so. And the cross platform play with PC is a great bonus for Eve that isn't mentioned much.

I'm having trouble getting the headset locked perfectly in place. It's sliding all around my face, so it keeps getting blurry and I have to adjust it. Especially when I look down. That's my only gripe so far.

DjRalford

I'm having trouble getting the headset locked perfectly in place. It's sliding all around my face, so it keeps getting blurry and I have to adjust it. Especially when I look down. That's my only gripe so far.

are you turning the dial at the back to tighten it up enough? the strap at the back should be at the base of the back of your head, with the front pad on your forehead so the screen is floating in front of your face, then bring the screen in using the release button underneeth, once set turn the dial until it is tight enough to not move.

PJV3

Playroom VR platformer made me feel like a kid again. it was really great.

My glasses are definitely in the way though and I should start using my contact lenses with it.

It's wonderful, I saw some cute looking insects flying around a flower and just grinned for ages.

If they could make something similar with Bugs Bunny etc then I would be in heaven.

King_Moc

Banned
Is Until Dawn a jumpscare thing?

Yeah, more jumpscares than anything more.

The best bit is where
you duck underneath a saw blade and loads of spiders start crawling over the front of the kart, which is now right in front of your face.

Imagine being scared of spiders and having that happen, lol.

Nags

Banned
I agree. I know people frown on the game. but Seriously... Rigs and Eve will keep me coming back to my PSVR for awhile. I think Eve is great. While I love VR Worlds, Batman, and all the demos... they will only keep me entertained for a week or so. And the cross platform play with PC is a great bonus for Eve that isn't mentioned much.

Cross platform play is making me consider it.

KennyL

I get motion sick easily so it was a pretty rough weekend. All the great things are great like others have said but driveclub, rig, battlezone, here they lie demos completely fucked me up. Looks like direct movement games are out for me.

I got decent tracking by having camera close but couldn't get good tracking for job simulator because it requires certain distance away. The world pretty much wobbles all the time and goes nuts when move gets close to headset. It got me pretty good. Tried all the FAQ/Reddit suggestions.

Image warp a lot off center so I get that bad feeling when turn head too fast on even stationary games. Pulling headset forward to lower fov helps.

Again, overlapping headset and controller lights making the world go nuts is crazy bad design. This really makes me sick in object manipulation games like job sim, tumble, wayward sky.

I'm afraid that I'm forming bad association with it where I'm getting nausea just thinking about it.....

If you cna handle a haunted house attraction or the haunted mansion you can withstand until dawn; its not that scary

but its pretty bloody crazy. I haven't played the main game although I have the disc but when I played it at ebgames expo, and the
squealing hanging pigs
were a total surprise and kinda shocking. kind of like going through a demented abattoir.

gotta give kudos where kudos is due. Supermassive did great with 2 stellar launch psVR titles. Both very very good.

D23

I've definitely come to the conclusion that distance from the camera is the main factor in tracking. Even with sunlight lighting up my room, having the camera propped up on the PSVR box on top of my coffee table ~4 feet away from me gives me nearly flawless tracking.

I think I'm going to do what someone on Reddit did and cable tie the camera to a microphone stand like this:

snqW6Lg.jpg

Then you can move the camera around freely to anywhere you want in a room, set it to the perfect height whether you're standing or sitting, and put it all away in the corner somewhere when you're not using it.

4 FT ??? damn that's way to close lol

Grinchy

Banned
4 FT ??? damn that's way too close lol

Try it sometime. I've tried everything all the way out to 10 feet. Job Simulator requiers a ton more space than 4 ft, obviously, but sitting games seem to really benefit from sitting close.

The camera method they're using is just way too inconsistent otherwise.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
gamestop is trying to sell this as a new bundle...

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-vr-complete-batman-bundle/136555

- core psvr
- batman
- two move controllers (PRE-OWNED lol)
- camera

da fuq...

Holy shit what a scam.

Try it sometime. I've tried everything all the way out to 10 feet. Job Simulator requiers a ton more space than 4 ft, obviously, but sitting games seem to really benefit from sitting close.

It is inconsistent which is a bummer, I've got a camera tripod I'm going to setup and see how it goes. Still love it when it works. I'm hoping don't releases a higher spec camera, would likely clear a lot of this up.

are you turning the dial at the back to tighten it up enough? the strap at the back should be at the base of the back of your head, with the front pad on your forehead so the screen is floating in front of your face, then bring the screen in using the release button underneeth, once set turn the dial until it is tight enough to not move.
I don't agree with the strap being at the base of the back of your head for two reasons. Firstly having it at that angle leaves a massive gap under directly under the eyes that lets too much light in, and secondly it makes it impossible to fit on over-ear headphones.
I have the strap sitting near the top of my head and everything works great.

robotrock

Banned

Job Simulator does require way more space than 4ft but that makes the tracking real garbage for me. Does that happen to you as well?

cakely

snqW6Lg.jpg

That's smart. Did you get a longer PS Camera cable? I think the one I have is only 6' long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom