• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
It is inconsistent which is a bummer, I've got a camera tripod I'm going to setup and see how it goes. Still love it when it works. I'm hoping don't releases a higher spec camera, would likely clear a lot of this up.

Yeah I know it's dumb from a business perspective, but I kinda wish this was a $599 bundle that used its own lighthouse type setup like the Vive. Precision is just so important for VR. I can get over my hands drifting a little bit, but as soon as they ask me to move around while standing and my viewpoint wobbles, it's just setting me up for a bad time.

Job Simulator does require way more space than 4ft but that makes the tracking real garbage for me. Does that happen to you as well?
Definitely. I've spent more time troubleshooting it than playing it. When I can get it working ok, it's fucking great. But the other 80% of the time, it's nauseating and frustrating.

Sorral

It's wonderful, I saw some cute looking insects flying around a flower and just grinned for ages.

If they could make something similar with Bugs Bunny etc then I would be in heaven.

Yup! I kept jumping over every mushroom I saw and kept looking around at the grass/flowers. I can certainly play full games with this art-style and would love it.

Too many little touches just made my night with it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Job Simulator does require way more space than 4ft but that makes the tracking real garbage for me. Does that happen to you as well?

I made several posts about this. It's the biggest tease of the bunch because the tracking starts out amazing. Then you start moving and things start getting off and bouncing. If you turn too much the controllers jump all around, etc. I think the camera being upgraded would fix it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I can't do that to her lol. I'm amazed at these Gaffers putting their mom's through the Kitchen Demo. If I did that to my wife, I wouldn't get any for a month. :(

Just too intense. The shark dive almost made a neighbor call the cops because she was screaming sooo loud. Would have been a weird conversation with the cops too.

Haha, fair enough! It's definitely not worth chancing the lovin' over.

---------------------------------------

I just tried a few more demos and I've still got a huge grin on my face. I LOVE gaming in VR!

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood: I'll admit, the jumpscares scared the shit out of me, haha. The immersion was pretty crazy! I was ducking and dodging stuff instinctively and when things popped up that I wasn't expecting, I freaked the f*ck out, haha.

Wayward Sky: I immediately bought the full game after playing the demo. I really hope this one gets a physical release one day. I really wasn't feeling this game at all during the 2 minute countdown on the title screen, but as soon as the actual game started and I saw the layout and how you interacted with the world, I was sold! VR board games, VR trading card games, VR RPGs, VR platformers and VR adventure games are really the games I cannot wait for.

Allumette: Absolutely loved this too even though it was just a film. 3D films and now 3D VR films are still something I'm very excited to see in the future! I hope we get a crap-ton more of these too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah I know it's dumb from a business perspective, but I kinda wish this was a $599 bundle that used its own lighthouse type setup like the Vive. Precision is just so important for VR. I can get over my hands drifting a little bit, but as soon as they ask me to move around while standing and my viewpoint wobbles, it's just setting me up for a bad time.

Definitely. I've spent more time troubleshooting it than playing it. When I can get it working ok, it's fucking great. But the other 80% of the time, it's nauseating and frustrating.

I think they could possibly use the current camera as a second camera then release a new higher spec cam that works with that to allow 360 and more accurate positional tracking. The shape of the light on the moves obviously causes some issues but being able to track between 2 cameras would probably allow better tracking. The cords are short, but maybe they could use some sort of breakout box type setup.

Nags

Banned
Just played my first match of Rigs Online. It was actually full with live players and no bots. Man, got my ass kicked hard. I should probably play some single player to get a better rig first.

Tumle

Even if it did work, the drift would start again immediately (albeit gradually) and is omnipresent. You will be recentering every 5-10 min if not more if you're shifting a full 45+ degrees in a Danger Ball session. I think PSVR is fundamentally broken technology if they can't effectively eliminate the drift during play sessions. Between sessions, and certainly first putting on the headset is fine, but every few minutes is a broken product. People are going to grow increasingly hostile as the honeymoon period wears off, and Sony/Retailers are going to eat a shit ton on returns.
I have no drift... but sucks for people who do :/

I think they could possibly use the current camera as a second camera then release a new higher spec cam that works with that to allow 360 and more accurate positional tracking. The shape of the light on the moves obviously causes some issues but being able to track between 2 cameras would probably allow better tracking. The cords are short, but maybe they could use some sort of breakout box type setup.
I agree in that to me I think the camera is the core issue and an upgraded camera would be a huge help. I just think it's too finicky as is. While I don't have any dealbreaking problems with most software, you can tell the camera can struggles if you are not in a very specific setup.

are you turning the dial at the back to tighten it up enough? the strap at the back should be at the base of the back of your head, with the front pad on your forehead so the screen is floating in front of your face, then bring the screen in using the release button underneeth, once set turn the dial until it is tight enough to not move.

The strap at the base of my neck puts the visor all out of position. It needs to be at a certain height to not be blurry. I found a position with the strap near the top of my head where I can get it on tighter/more sealed but it's blurry there as well.

Moreche

When I play Rush of Bood I have an issue we're black is not pure black, there's a graininess to the image like there's a filter over it.
I take it this is the lens or just how VR is?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I agree in that to me I think the camera is the core issue and an upgraded camera would be a huge help. I just think it's too finicky as is. While I don't have any dealbreaking problems with most software, you can tell the camera can struggles if you are not in a very specific setup.

Ultimately that's what ended up killing move for me. Right now as the post states above were in a honeymoon phase so the awe of it all keeps you coming back, but when it comes to high precision I agree it will wear thin. Hell I'm going for the leaderboards on until dawn and I recalibrate every level sometimes midlevel, especially when I turn to the side to shoot some targets it'll get finicky.

I think the moves for me are gonna be boxed fairly soon, but for games like thumper it's been great for me, I think it'll be enough for those sit still experiences and minor head tracking, but standing games and any serious movement with those Wands won't be long term for me. They can likely improve that with a better camera and I'd wager they've already explored it, but are going to wait to see how the public responds to this.

Mossybrew

So after several days of PSVR I'm back at work today, aaaand several times throughout the day I've had the unnerving feeling that things are just floating in front of me but not really there. Maybe I should take a break from the VR tonight!

cilonen

When I play Rush of Bood I have an issue we're black is not pure black, there's a graininess to the image like there's a filter over it.

It's actually per pixel brightness variations in the actual OLED screen you're focusing 'through'.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

That's OLED bleed showing through. Greys in particular show it quite a bit. It's a non factor for me personally, Vita even showed this a bit.

I've definitely come to the conclusion that distance from the camera is the main factor in tracking. Even with sunlight lighting up my room, having the camera propped up on the PSVR box on top of my coffee table ~4 feet away from me gives me nearly flawless tracking.

I think I'm going to do what someone on Reddit did and cable tie the camera to a microphone stand like this:

snqW6Lg.jpg

Then you can move the camera around freely to anywhere you want in a room, set it to the perfect height whether you're standing or sitting, and put it all away in the corner somewhere when you're not using it.

I did something similar...

We are able to move the camera up down and all around with it on the tripod. I bought the extension cable which was essential. Having the camera stationary under the TV would not be ideal during the day..there are a million framed pictures behind my couch and give off a ton of reflection from the TV.

Also..I took the picture in the kitchen...the VR is not in the kitchen. Wiseguys.

DjRalford

The strap at the base of my neck puts the visor all out of position. It needs to be at a certain height to not be blurry. I found a position with the strap near the top of my head where I can get it on tighter/more sealed but it's blurry there as well.

Base of the head, not the neck, feel the back of your head where the bump is, almost exactly opposite your nose, thats where the strap sits, too high or too low and you get blur.

Also as another tip when setting up on the screen of text shut one eye and do an eye at a time, frequently checking the first is still in focus when adjusting the second, to get best clarity, when i did this the hesadset felt like it was not on straight, but i had perfect clarity from both lenses and could read all the text even to the edge without any shimmering.

Jswanko

Anyone have a recommendation for an immersive, limited interaction game that is not in VR Worlds? I have the core bundle and I'm looking for something like Ocean Descent to introduce my girlfriend to VR without overwhelming her with inputs.

Fisty

So does Thumper get any easier after Level 5? Holy shit I don't think I even want to go back to it after some of that nonsense. Love the game/vibe but Jesus there's just too much going on and it can be hard to see ahead

Anyone have a recommendation for an immersive, limited interaction game that is not in VR Worlds? I have the core bundle and I'm looking for something like Ocean Descent to introduce my girlfriend to VR without overwhelming her with inputs.

Let her watch Allumette.
It's just a CGI movie in VR.
When shes watching it tell her to stick her head in the airship and look around.
It's really good -EDIT- and free

BadHand

Kitchen

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I did something similar...

We are able to move the camera up down and all around with it on the tripod. I bought the extension cable which was essential. Having the camera stationary under the TV would not be ideal during the day..there are a million framed pictures behind my couch and give off a ton of reflection from the TV.

Also..I took the picture in the kitchen...the VR is not in the kitchen. Wiseguys.

Haha that's exactly what I'm setting up now! My gf is gonna hate it lol, she's so off about the wires, but I think she'll adapt.

Can we do a role call on those with the new vs. old camera? For anybody with significant tracking issues which camera are you using? I'm on the old one.

So does Thumper get any easier after Level 5? Holy shit I don't think I even want to go back to it after some of that nonsense. Love the game/vibe but Jesus there's just too much going on and it can be hard to see ahead

Why would it get easier the higher you go?
In VR I don't think Thumper is hard, at all. But I am also not trying to hit every single blue ring and turn. Let the high score chasers have those!!

D23

you are scarring me.. i just got to level 5, and im mentally exhausted after level 4..

phew

Fisty

Why would it get easier the higher you go?
In VR I don't think Thumper is hard, at all. But I am also not trying to hit every single blue ring and turn. Let the high score chasers have those!!

How far have you gotten? Because yeah it's not bad at all until like level 4 where shit just gets nasty

Haha that's exactly what I'm setting up now! My gf is gonna hate it lol, she's so off about the wires, but I think she'll adapt.

Can we do a role call on those with the new vs. old camera? For anybody with significant tracking issues which camera are you using? I'm on the old one.

I have the old camera too and have not tried it.
All weekend I have this "if its not broken" mindset.
Afraid to tinker too much.

I might do something this week were I play something short (like London Heist) back to back with both cameras and see if I notice anything.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How far have you gotten? Because yeah it's not bad at all until like level 4 where shit just gets nasty

It becomes second nature the more you play, but no it didn't get easier at all. I beat the game for reference. Like any rhythm game you'll get better the more you play though and you'll get through it with practice.

Just finished Level 7 this morning.

So heres the thing though..
Without VR I was fucking terrible at the game. I could not beat the Level 3 boss. I was streaming it so my friend could see what the game was and he texts and says "I give up, you are making me dizzy". I tried to beat that boss 50 times.

Then I go in VR and I suddenly feel like I'm the Thumper master.

Fisty

It becomes second nature the more you play, but no it didn't get easier at all. I beat the game for reference. Like any rhythm game you'll get better the more you play though and you'll get through it with practice.

How are you changing lanes with those "hold x" bars? I feel like I'm doing something wrong and barely scrape through those sections

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I think the devs have the black level wrong and it's more like a really dark grey. Sometimes on a loading screen you see the spinning head against a real black background so you know it's a devs not getting the black level right in the game.

I hope they patch it.

webhad19

Neo Member

I have the old camera and have played for ~20 hours and had about 6 other people play for a couple hours each with zero tracking problems at all. (The exception being the move controllers in job simulator. Everyone tries to reach for things behind them and their hands disappear due to camera placement of course.)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just finished Level 7 this morning.

So heres the thing though..
Without VR I was fucking terrible at the game. I could not beat the Level 3 boss. I was streaming it so my friend could see what the game was and he texts and says "I give up, you are making me dizzy". I tried to beat that boss 50 times.

Then I go in VR and I suddenly feel like I'm the Thumper master.

Vr has a closer perspective which lets you see further up the lane. Not to mention a Bonus feature, particularly for me as a huge rhythm game fan, that vr headsets have 0 latency, so the timing is so much easier.

How are you changing lanes with those "hold x" bars? I feel like I'm doing something wrong and barely scrape through those sections

Sorry I'm confused at what particular parts you mean. Do you mean the last second turn bumpers in a different lane?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I'm using the old one and no tracking issues.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I have the old camera and have played for ~20 hours and had about 6 other people play for a couple hours each with zero tracking problems at all. (The exception being the move controllers in job simulator. Everyone tries to reach for things behind them and their hands disappear due to camera placement of course.)

I have a feeling more people are having at the very least minor issues that they simply aren't affected by. The way I can tell if my camera is struggling is by holding my controller still and watching it. If it's working it will have that minor shaking but nothing serious, if it's not it'll be pulsing in and out.

Edit- also it's tough to notice when it's happening sometimes when the game is moving, like say until dawn on coasters. When my tracking is pulsing or breathing the coasters make me very disoriented.

Moreche

That's OLED bleed showing through. Greys in particular show it quite a bit. It's a non factor for me personally, Vita even showed this a bit.
Thanks, much appreciated.
It's a shame they can't achieve that perfect, plain black image as it does ruin Rush of Blood slightly. It's like looking at a black image through a thin fabric.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Same for me, I still have my Pro preorder but I'd love PSVR games to automatically do this.

Same for me as well. Farpoint is a possible system seller for me given the double pixel count on pro. If the game reviews well I'll get the pro sooner than later.

Base of the head, not the neck, feel the back of your head where the bump is, almost exactly opposite your nose, thats where the strap sits, too high or too low and you get blur.

Also as another tip when setting up on the screen of text shut one eye and do an eye at a time, frequently checking the first is still in focus when adjusting the second, to get best clarity, when i did this the hesadset felt like it was not on straight, but i had perfect clarity from both lenses and could read all the text even to the edge without any shimmering.

I'll try that next time, and keep fiddling with it to try and find a position that's both locked in place and not-blurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom