• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

doby

Just finished Rush of Blood. It was an awesome experience and a totally fun game; however, that final level was not fun at all. The tentacle portions were obnoxious as hell. Still, I really enjoyed this one.

I completely agree, it's like they ran out of time/ideas and just repeated the same thing over and over to fill out the level. The mine level before that though is fantastic.

Grinchy

Banned
You know. If sony push supersampled version of these games via PS4 PRO, they may just win themselves a PRO sale from me.

I would absolutely love to see RIGS supersampled. The game has very decent graphics for a VR game, especially considering it's on a base PS4. The crispness that could come from supersampling would just put it over the top.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Still haven't really played with my VR to the full extent to get the full impact, but love the hardware. I'm sitting on the couch watching videos while my wife is watching tv and I can also switch over to other games without interrupting. She always got pissed when I left the room to go game, but she's ok with me being there on the headset doing the same. Game changer for that option alone!

So weird that she'll be okay with you jacked into VR, but upset if you left thr room to play games.

Seems like the samething to me.

kairu

I did something similar...

We are able to move the camera up down and all around with it on the tripod. I bought the extension cable which was essential. Having the camera stationary under the TV would not be ideal during the day..there are a million framed pictures behind my couch and give off a ton of reflection from the TV.

Also..I took the picture in the kitchen...the VR is not in the kitchen. Wiseguys.

Hahaha, I am doing the same thing too. I have my camera clipped in with a ram mount and then a rubber band around the bottom attached to a tripod with a ball head so I can move it to where ever it needs to be.

Is anyone else having issues with Rush of Blood? Midway through a level it often loses tracking and my arms end up not displaying correctly in front of me but rather off to the side. Holding start doesn't fix it either.

After trying some demos the past 2 nights without any nausea problems they finally arrived with RIGS today. Man that game really gets to me.

If you're interested in the game, it's probably worth trying some of the various comfort settings and aiming options, maybe some of them will be better for you.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Everyone see the VR game announcement on the PlayStation blog for "Tethered"? Looks like it might be in line to scratch the itch the playroom demo and Wayward Sky have started. Comes out next week.

Personally, I want to see more, but I'm interested by their preview nonetheless.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...ng-world-in-tethered-out-october-25-on-ps-vr/

Trailer https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCvp3z4ps9w

Here's a 14 minute gameplay video from playstation access: https://youtu.be/O18W21JYPyM

Anyone know how to access the Founders content in EVE? I couldn't figure out how to change my ship or my pilot or anything. I find the menus a little confusing to be honest.

Ok I think I just got a little sick while playing Driveclub, I think it was my fault though.

I stuck my head out the window and was basically driving like this, just because I could:
i001266.jpg

LOL

Anyone know how to access the Founders content in EVE? I couldn't figure out how to change my ship or my pilot or anything. I find the menus a little confusing to be honest.
Don't know but holy shit is the stick layout awful. Yaw on the right and aim with the left? Right should be pitch/up/down and left should be yaw. I found no way to change it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Is anyone else having issues with Rush of Blood? Midway through a level it often loses tracking and my arms end up not displaying correctly in front of me but rather off to the side. Holding start doesn't fix it either.

This has been happening to me a ton lately unfortunately. Start does fix it for me at least temporarily, but it never gets quite right once the initial calibration is lost.

Wallach

I got my PSVR during work today, and got it set up a couple hours ago.

So far I've tried four games:

Rez Infinite - First thing I booted up after getting it hooked together, and it's really just fantastic. Good game to check out the PSVR screens with too; overall the image reminds me a lot of the Vive. Good colors and brightness. Lack of lens artifacts is appreciated here. Only played through the first two stages. Head aiming makes this even more enjoyable in my opinion. Going to savor this one.

Battlezone - Spent only a few minutes in this one. I just wanted to see how it looked and felt mostly. Wasn't bothered by the movement in this one at all. Resolution of the screen hurts a bit here but overall is a decent looking title. Really interested to find a few other people and jump in here co-op.

Thumper - This game is really gorgeous in VR. If you already have a PC VR headset and are thinking you aren't going to get a PSVR, make sure you get this game when it shows up on Steam. First level was pretty easy but I can tell from the thread that it gets crazy. As expected this and Rez are my early favorites.

Batman VR - Tried to do this standing and the tracking sucks balls so far. Both on the Move and the headset. Visually the game looks pretty nice and I might continue on with this seated, but the standing experience leaves a little too much to be desired. Shut it off for now to spare my senses the disorientation.

Batman was my first run with the Move controllers and the best way I can describe their performance is that in the moments when they are working right, they're kind of like Vive controllers stuck in reprojection. Have a feeling I am going to be leaning towards seated / DS4 based VR games for PSVR. If you own a Rift or a Vive and are already keeping your expectations low in this aspect going into PSVR, I'd probably lower them a little further still.

That said, the DS4 based games were all pretty slick and the headset itself when I was parked in my office chair was behaving just fine. Pretty comfortable as others have mentioned, though there is a lot of light bleed on the bottom (way more than with the Rift) that makes you wish you could pull the scope in even further.

I'm over here still getting blown away by the playroom menu. And love the roller coaster in Until Dawn!

Anyone know any good VR games you can play with others locally (besides playroom)?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm over here still getting blown away by the playroom menu. And love the roller coaster in Until Dawn!

Anyone know any good VR games you can play with others locally (besides playroom)?

Keep talking and everybody explodes or whatever its called.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Rez's Area X is one of the best things that's ever happened to anything.

Seth

any game that i control movement myself, i seem to get sick with. rigs, here they lie, the space missions on worlds...

Anyone have the same issue? Any way tricks to reduce this?

Games such as until dawn that I am not controlling the movement dont bother me at all.

Does anyone else have to sit slightly to the left of the camera to get a centered view in Battlezone and Rigs ?
If I sit straight across from the camera then my view in the cockpit is off to the right. Sliding the camera to the right a few inches centers the view.

King_Moc

Banned
Batman VR - Tried to do this standing and the tracking sucks balls so far. Both on the Move and the headset. Visually the game looks pretty nice and I might continue on with this seated, but the standing experience leaves a little too much to be desired. Shut it off for now to spare my senses the disorientation.

Batman was my first run with the Move controllers and the best way I can describe their performance is that in the moments when they are working right, they're kind of like Vive controllers stuck in reprojection. Have a feeling I am going to be leaning towards seated / DS4 based VR games for PSVR. If you own a Rift or a Vive and are already keeping your expectations low in this aspect going into PSVR, I'd probably lower them a little further still.

The weird thing is, if you try Tumble the Move tracking is borderline perfect. Someone said I might have got lucky with it, but I've played it three times and the quality of the tracking was reminiscent of the Vive on that one. Hopefully developers can get the hang of it, as I don't get why it would track so well for one game and so bad for another.

Fusebox

Banned

That was one of the games that had the best tracking for me. I was standing up and the tracking was way more solid than when I had just played London Heist sitting down.

Remember not to wear a tee shirt the same colour as your move controllers!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've tried every VR HMD since the 90s. Finally got to try PSVR today, and it's the best HMD I've used yet.

Extremely impressed.

I've also tried every major VR game on the Gear, Rift and Vive, and the launch library for PSVR is astoundingly good.

It's so nice to play really fleshed out and polished VR games. Even Chronos and Edge of Nowhere weren't up to the quality of most things I've tried so far on PSVR.

I'm definitely going to pick one up.

Belfast

So is the general consensus "meh" on this? I'm thinking it looks, at the very least, compelling. I would think with gaf love for the Playroom VR platformer and Wayward Sky they would be all over this.

Looks good to me

It's not out yet and there's surprisingly few real details about it. That video above covers more than anything else I've seen.

King_Moc

Banned
So is the general consensus "meh" on this? I'm thinking it looks, at the very least, compelling. I would think with gaf love for the Playroom VR platformer and Wayward Sky they would be all over this.

Looks good to me

I remember impressions from EGX seemed positive. I'll probably pick it up if it sounds like it has a bit of depth to it. Playing God over those islands in VR should be pretty mesmerising.

Fnord

Ok I think I just got a little sick while playing Driveclub, I think it was my fault though.

I stuck my head out the window and was basically driving like this, just because I could:
i001266.jpg

I did the same thing during my first replay. They put you in the passenger seat, so I was acting like a passenger. Wondered if I could stick my head out the window and lo and behold, I could. Didn't make me sick, though. :)

Mezoly

Looks good to me

I think a demo might help this game immensely. I would've not bought Wayward Sky if it wasn't for a demo.

Nags

Banned

Rez Infinite - First thing I booted up after getting it hooked together, and it's really just fantastic. Good game to check out the PSVR screens with too; overall the image reminds me a lot of the Vive. Good colors and brightness. Lack of lens artifacts is appreciated here. Only played through the first two stages. Head aiming makes this even more enjoyable in my opinion. Going to savor this one.

Battlezone - Spent only a few minutes in this one. I just wanted to see how it looked and felt mostly. Wasn't bothered by the movement in this one at all. Resolution of the screen hurts a bit here but overall is a decent looking title. Really interested to find a few other people and jump in here co-op.

Thumper - This game is really gorgeous in VR. If you already have a PC VR headset and are thinking you aren't going to get a PSVR, make sure you get this game when it shows up on Steam. First level was pretty easy but I can tell from the thread that it gets crazy. As expected this and Rez are my early favorites.

That said, the DS4 based games were all pretty slick and the headset itself when I was parked in my office chair was behaving just fine. Pretty comfortable as others have mentioned, though there is a lot of light bleed on the bottom (way more than with the Rift) that makes you wish you could pull the scope in even further.

I've only had great tracking in Batman VR. I placed the camera on top of my TV though, which put the camera about 6 ft. off the ground.

Does anyone else have to sit slightly to the left of the camera to get a centered view in Battlezone and Rigs ?
If I sit straight across from the camera then my view in the cockpit is off to the right. Sliding the camera to the right a few inches centers the view.

Same here. I was wondering if perhaps the camera is just cheap and the sensors aren't mounted straight on some of them. Or maybe it is just the left lens (as you look at the camera) that does the tracking?

Mossybrew

Well sad news for me, the contact between my glasses and the PSVR lens last night that scratched my glasses, also scratched the PSVR lens. As unlikely as that sounds, the scratch is in the exact same position as it is on my glasses. And yes, it is totally visible when playing. Since there's no way I'm going to just try to ignore a blurry spot in every game from here on out, I'm returning the bundle to Amazon, which kinda sucks since there aren't more bundles to exchange for and I just have to get a refund. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

If you wear glasses - DO NOT bring the PSVR too close to your face!

border

Finally got some playtime with PSVR today. All I've really jumped in on though is the Demo Disc and Playstation Worlds.

Move tracking seems fine to me, I don't get what everyone's complained about there but perhaps it helps that my living room is just set up to mostly ideal standards for Move. Solid black couch, 5"-7" away from TV, no windows or lights behind the couch. The only real problem I had was rotating certain objects the right way in Tumble. Using Move for guns feels great but it doesn't feel anywhere near as good as a lightgun would, and most every rail shooter will need to have a laser sight or some indication of where you're generally aiming. The office shootout in London Heist is terrible, but the highway shootout was great. Rush of Blood works better, but is a little too interested in shocking imagery than in letting you shoot things. I think developers have far overestimated how "scary" horror games are going to be in VR. People talked about Kitchen like it was supposed to be utter nightmare fuel, but it mostly just washed over me.

My main complaint about the movement tracking is that just leaning forward can throw off calibration too much, but this is a product that by its very nature is going to make people want to lean forward.

Boy, this technology is really ill-suited to games with detailed environments and long draw distances. Everything more than 30 yards away is a horrible, pixely mess. Drive Club looks pretty hideous just because the frequent perspective shifts make the shimmering even worse. This probably bodes poorly for Gran Turismo VR.

On the flip side of this is if you bring a well-textured object or item close to your eyes, they look incredibly real and clean and not jaggy at all. I marveled at how lifelike the postcards and robot figures in the Playroom VR crane machine were.

I think the display is much better suited to games with a clean or minimalist art style, with bright flat textures without a lot of contrast. Rez and Thumper look great and play great even more importantly.....it's a shame that they don't really do much more than use VR to produce a stronger sense of immersion. Job Simulator looks great, but I'm not sure if I can spend $40 on a game that looks like it'll be tiresome once you have seen all the jokes.

I am surprised how fun the Playroom VR platformer was. I'd gladly pay for more levels of that!

Anything else that I should check out? What are the most loved titles on NeoGAF?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The weird thing is, if you try Tumble the Move tracking is borderline perfect. Someone said I might have got lucky with it, but I've played it three times and the quality of the tracking was reminiscent of the Vive on that one. Hopefully developers can get the hang of it, as I don't get why it would track so well for one game and so bad for another.

I think for the PSVR, the quality of the VR will depend a lot more on the skill of the developers than for the Vive, which is probably accurate enough on its on without implementing a specific software solution.

Well sad news for me, the contact between my glasses and the PSVR lens last night that scratched my glasses, also scratched the PSVR lens. As unlikely as that sounds, the scratch is in the exact same position as it is on my glasses. And yes, it is totally visible when playing. Since there's no way I'm going to just try to ignore a blurry spot in every game from here on out, I'm returning the bundle to Amazon, which kinda sucks since there aren't more bundles to exchange for and I just have to get a refund. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

If you wear glasses - DO NOT bring the PSVR too close to your face!

Is this a thing you can do in America, just return user-damaged items no questions?

border

Is this a thing you can do in America, just return user-damaged items no questions?

It's a thing that is possible to do, and not illegal to do. Though if the user damage is really obvious than clearly the retailer will tell you to fuck off. Ethically, there's something a little wrong with just returning a product that you accidentally broke....though in this case you might consider the damage to be the result of a design flaw.

Mossybrew

It's a thing that is possible to do, and not illegal to do. Though if the user damage is really obvious than clearly the retailer will tell you to fuck off. Ethically, there's something a little wrong with just returning a product that you accidentally broke....though in this case you might consider the damage to be the result of a design flaw.

Yeah. I did nothing wrong, there were no product warnings about this situation - hell in that paragraph you have to click through all the time they could have added warnings about wearing glasses and contact with the PSVR lens. Anyway I've been an Amazon Prime user for years and spent a ton of money with them, I'm sure they will process this return no problem.

Aww, after use yesterday and a few hours today I took a nap and came back to it. Guess I don't have my VR legs yet because one level of Until Dawn made me a little off kilter for the first time since having the unit.

VR legs is a real thing.

Haint

Like Nag hinted at, standing experiences pretty much require the Camera be on top of the TV (or somewhere near head level). Even then, it's not going to be perfect or even "good" depending on your standards/expectations. I honestly think Sony shipped some bad batches of cameras or IMU's.

It's only that bad for me in that one game if I'm being honest. It does occur in other games but not to that extreme.

Drift occurs with all my headsets to some degree which is why a recenter button exists on Vive, CV1, and Gear VR apps and games. The problem I have is that sometimes recentering does nothing on PSVR and really makes some games unplayable. This really seems like a software issue that Sony should be looking at.

Rift only needs recentering if you move the camera without rerunning set up. In more than 100 hours on CV1, I've have never had to recenter save for first putting on the headset between sessions (out of camera view) or perhaps rarely changing between games. 9 times out of 10, even those situations aren't necessary. Never once seen it drift during play on it's own and I've never seen any complaints about it doing so. Google search seems to corroborate this, there are effectively no hits for CV1 tracking drift while PSVR already returns pages and pages. Sony's issues are on a completely different scale in a completely different stratosphere. You're being incredibly disingenuous trying to hand wave this away as "effecting the other guys too".

bumpkin

Between the demos on the included demo disc and Playroom VR, I had previously concluded that the platform game in Playroom VR was my favorite VR experience. It made me wish that Nintendo were in the VR game (imagine Mario) or that Sony would bring Knack back for a VR sequel.

After cracking open PSVR Worlds tonight, I can safely say The London Heist has taken the title for my favorite experience. It doesn't do any one specific thing amazingly, it's just the sum of the parts that gave me a huge "Wow" factor. I was playing it with two PS Move controllers and everything from lighting the old guy's cigar to holding the cell phone up to my ear to hear the person talking to the reloading the clip in the guns to the highway shoot-out, it all blew me away. The puzzle you have to solve using things in the environment was absolutely brilliant. I felt completely and totally immersed in the world.

I watched my wife play Scavenger's Odyssey and I'll tell you what it made me pine for; a VR Metroid... Man oh man.

What I love even more about the PSVR is it's the first gaming thing in a while (since the original Wii) that my wife expresses interest in playing. We've been taking turns playing the different demos/games.

Yeah. I did nothing wrong, there were no product warnings about this situation - hell in that paragraph you have to click through all the time they could have added warnings about wearing glasses and contact with the PSVR lens. Anyway I've been an Amazon Prime user for years and spent a ton of money with them, I'm sure they will process this return no problem.

You kinda did, though.

This thing really is a new way to play...doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. After 3 days now, VR just feels like another genre. If they can clear up the image quality soon, (hopefully somewhat with Pro) I would game even more in VR. Thumper so far is amazing and I'm just playing the demo over and over.

Sakura

Is PSVR region free? Could I buy it in another country and use it in mine? It seems to be out of stock everywhere here.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For me, this is like reliving the PS1 and N64 era of 3D all over again.

The excitement, the new experiences, the jankiness lol.

I don't want to play anything now if it's not in VR.

I hate the fact that I feel the same way. Mentally I want to play Mafia 3, but emotionally if it's not VR I don't want to play it right now.

Anybody else feel like this right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom