• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Is Rigs MP only or is there some SP element?

Edit: On a different note, I can't decide if I want to go all digital for VR games or keep adding to my physical collection. First world problems for sure.

Rigs has a surprisingly deep SP league mode. You have league standings, win money, hire teammates, buy new rigs, complete sponsorship challenges for more money and uniform customization stuff. I haven't even touched MP yet. Spent probably ~5 hours in SP.

As far as digital v physical goes, my only physical games are Rigs and VR Worlds. Both of which I return to from time to time. I really wish I would've gorgeous Rigs digitally just for convenience sake.

DjRalford

Ok cool. I will buy it once I get PSVR. But please, dont forget about dat PS2 OS Dynanic theme!! Keep begging Sony to let you sell it!

Now regarding PSVR, what happens if someone younger than 12yrs old play it? Do they just get mad dizzy? We have a 10 yr old in our house (not my kid) and I want everyone to try this thing once I get one. Gonna suck if she cant play it!

I've let my 8yr old daughter play a few times in short 10-15 minute bursts, her last session after playing for slightly longer she said she had a slight headache, so i'm not letting her play a while now, which needless to say didn't go down well.

Lan_97

Posted this to reddit, but thought it would be worth dropping it here too:

After messing around with IPD and fit tonight, I settled upon the following. Hopefully the community finds it useful.

IPD - Long story short, this will mainly only affect the scale of objects in the headset. This is most noticeable in a cockpit game where you can look down and observe body size (Rigs). After messing around with all the extremes I settled on the default (which is pretty close to my actual IPD).

Fit - This one is important. Disregard the bit about pulling down the back of the headset. This will most likely angle the headset up a bit, bluring close/far objects. Instead, try to fit the rubber eyeshield flush on your face (i.e. the top touches your face at the same time as the bottom). To get this fit, I usually have to sit the back much higher on the head. At least for me this gave me the following benefits:

• Blur was reduced on close up objects. I was generally able to distinguish pixels at close and far distances.
  • The noseflap approaches your face more vertically, and if you can get the lenses close enough to your eyes, you get complete light block out.
  • The higher fit put much less pressure on my temples, and stopped giving me headaches.
Hope this helps. Rigs, Driveclub, Super Stardust, and Thumper all felt really nice to play with this setup tonight.

Kalentan

Does anyone else just feel a slight bit more hesitation when getting games for VR?

Like I asked about Brookhaven Experiment in this thread, people seem to like it. It's got good steam reviews and the PSVR version seems to be good...

Yet with every gave I'm just a bit more hesitant to go and buy it even at $20...

I'm not sure if there's a good way to explain it.

majik13

Try out the demo disc and then decide

I mentioned that Ive played almost all the demos already in my post. But there are lots of games not on the demo disc too.

Batman and/or Rush of Blood imo.

I don't recommend Thumper if you aren't into rythmn, the learning curve is fairly steep and making it to the later levels is relatively difficult whereas you shouldn't have any probs reaching the end of Batman or Rush of Blood.

Thanks, forgot to mention I played an older build of Rush of Blood. Prob just the first level. Was kinda cool, but def needed some polish, mostly no environment reaction from bullet hits. Also the set up was likely too close to the TV, and guns would occasionnly break the FOV. Didnt play it on the demo disc. I wouldnt have expected this to be a recommended game. But I suppose Ill def try the newer demo disc version.

I keep thinking some of this stuff will evetually end up on PS+ or so. But not gonna keep my hopes up. But really wonder what the chances are.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I'm watching my wife play PlayStation VR Worlds' Ocean Descent, and she's trying to pet the fish. :) The immersion was quick. Very impressive so far.

PrinceKee

It sounds like you're both having your hardware in warm spaces where the fans can't work too well. The os4 needs clearance on all sides and the breakout box needs clearance on the back. Try moving them and lowering the room temperature. Blow the dust out of the ps4 while you're at it

Hopefully that's the issue and not defective hardware. I never noticed my ps4 or breakout box's fans tbh. I only hear my ps4 when it runs a disc.

Alright m0dus. You've got a customer. I appreciate the support you're giving everyone and I'll post my impressions and spread the word!

Try out the demo disc and then decide

No, my PS4 is a launch system and the fans turn on sometimes just sitting in the dashboard. I move my PS4 around sometimes from the family room, living room, and bedroom and it it does matter where it is the fans will kick on full blast...

Have any of you guys tried driving in Driveclub at night? :O It was a "holy shit!" moment for me, totally unbelievable.

I was racing in one of the Swiss Alps tracks and I had to pick my jaw up from the floor.

Grinchy

Banned
Is RIGS population super duper low? Last three nights my brother and I have played the same two or three people every damn match

I had a friend of mine over tonight and when he was trying rigs he jumped into an online match. I hadn't tried playing one yet. It did take forever to start and I think he was with 2 bots on his team.

Fit - This one is important. Disregard the bit about pulling down the back of the headset. This will most likely angle the headset up a bit, bluring close/far objects. Instead, try to fit the rubber eyeshield flush on your face (i.e. the top touches your face at the same time as the bottom). To get this fit, I usually have to sit the back much higher on the head. At least for me this gave me the following benefits:

If I do that, my lenses always get foggy after a couple of seconds when I'm breathing out. That's why I need to keep some open space at the bottom around my nose to improve air flow. That's either a construction oversight or just me having a strange nose.

Job simulator is freaking amazing! I hope they add more contents! My gf loves it!

Brookhaven is decent, but the tracking could use some patching...

Anyone have more tracking issues with the playroom arcade ufo catcher than with anything else? I can't really tell if it's the up close and personal nature of it or something else. It's mostly (only mostly) OK if I keep my head pretty still but if I start moving it around to look more closely at the different models arranged around me I find the head tracking starts to slide and flick. Or to put it another way it doesn't know my head is moving then pops as it catches up.

Then i played the first whole two levels of Rez straight without any obvious tracking issues at all. (But wow that part with the boss inside the rotating tube is very uncomfortable. Not tracking just moving world stuff).

2D games look fucking in the VR cinema mode.

I can't wait to try plugging stuff in it tomorrow to see what works good. I am thinking about trying to airplay comics to my Apple TV and see what that looks like.

Also can't wait to try the Wii U and virtual console games.

I played Last Blade 2 on Cinema mode. So good! Can't wait to try more games on this mode.

After messing around with IPD and fit tonight, I settled upon the following. Hopefully the community finds it useful.

IPD - Long story short, this will mainly only affect the scale of objects in the headset. This is most noticeable in a cockpit game where you can look down and observe body size (Rigs). After messing around with all the extremes I settled on the default (which is pretty close to my actual IPD).

• Blur was reduced on close up objects. I was generally able to distinguish pixels at close and far distances.
  • The noseflap approaches your face more vertically, and if you can get the lenses close enough to your eyes, you get complete light block out.
  • The higher fit put much less pressure on my temples, and stopped giving me headaches.
Hope this helps. Rigs, Driveclub, Super Stardust, and Thumper all felt really nice to play with this setup tonight.

Regarding FIT I did exactly the same ad you are right, it's way better! Great tip!

I wish Sony had that same option they did with tbe PS4 protection plan on their PSN Store. :/
From what I've read from fellow GAFfers, SquareTrade is legit.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Best Buy customer service to get some information on getting Geek Squad protection on my PS VR.

6 different people, two disconnects, and still no one was able to give more information about Geek Squad protection, other than it's "Accidental Damage and Handling" protection. I used to moonlight for Best Buy Geek Squad about four years ago. I hated them then and I absolutely hate them now.

However, at $500, I would happily pay a little more for protecting the VR headset. Another $400 bill, in the event of some mistake or accident in mine or someone else's part is hard to stomach. I just don't know if Best Buy's protection is one replacement and the protection is done, or if it is an extended warranty.

And, yeah, the outsourcing of customer service does, and always will, suck. I encountered the same thing with Best Buy.

Has anyone gotten product protection for the PS VR, Best Buy or otherwise? Care to share pricing and a synopsis of its coverage?

Nick

I just watched couple videos in the Within demo.

Please tell me this is not how full-motion video is going to look in PSVR. It's like YouTube blown up to an IMAX screen.
Dude, that baby birthing video in Within creeped me TF out. It was awesome and scary and awesome at the same time.

Does anyone else just feel a slight bit more hesitation when getting games for VR?

Like I asked about Brookhaven Experiment in this thread, people seem to like it. It's got good steam reviews and the PSVR version seems to be good...

Yet with every gave I'm just a bit more hesitant to go and buy it even at $20...

Complete opposite.
I have bought almost everything released, EXCEPT the ones I think are overpriced.
20 bucks for Brookhaven seemed perfect. Headmaster and Tumble for 10 dollars were instant buys. I would have paid more for Until Dawn and Batman and I want to Paypal some money over to the people that made Playroom VR!!! That thing should not be free.

Then there are things like...
30 dollars for Super Hypercube (with no demo) and 60 dollars for Battlezone.
That seems way out of whack. Way too much money.

Yeah, can't even afford all the stuff I want to buy yet. Need to spread it out a little.

I have a 1080p projector. It's the difference between watching a 120 inch screen at home and being in the middle row of an IMAX cinema. The movies look huge.

Yeah. Hopefully they don't ignore adding SBS/TB 3D, 3D blu-ray, and especially 3D VR video support to the media player.

Batman VR standing with Move controllers is awesome (can't comment on sitting or using a DS4), really immersive, looks fantastic the majority of the time.
I don't know what you've seen that makes you think it looks lame, I didn't look at anything about it on the net but I did demo it at EGX and that sold it for me.
If you're a fan of the good Batman comics, cartoons, movies & games I'd say buying it is a no-brainer. If you're just a fan of the Arkham games then maybe not as it's such a different experience.

Yeah, it was so worth it playing standing up.

Well looks like the amazon eve valkyrie order came through.

For folks who got the Eve Valkyrie digital code at $20, but didn't get the founders pack, they're emailing codes out for the founders pack to them now. Just received mine.

This was pretty impressive, didn't expect to get it.

Is Rigs MP only or is there some SP element?

Edit: On a different note, I can't decide if I want to go all digital for VR games or keep adding to my physical collection. First world problems for sure.
I'm gonna buy as many physical games as possible, the simple reason being, if it makes me feel sick, I can sell it and use that money to purchase another title.
I'm looking at you
RIGS!

Nick

I'm the exact opposite. Every new experience I'm being presented with in PSVR I'm immediately throwing down new money to buy the game. I'm usually *super* cautious about what I buy, and I don't pick up anything unless I've read a ton of reviews and tried a game for myself. With PSVR games, I'll try it on the demo, love it, and buy it immediately.

I'm the exact opposite. Every new experience I'm being presented with in PSVR I'm immediately throwing down new money to buy the game. I'm usually *super* cautious about what I buy, and I don't pick up anything unless I've read a ton of reviews and tried a game for myself. With PSVR games, I'll try it on the demo, love it, and buy it immediately.

I did this with Wayward Sky and the Harmonix game.
Played both of them for maybe 3 minutes..closed the demo and bought the games.

Nags

Banned
Played about 10 matches of RIGS online today. Starting to really get into the swing of things. Feels good. And yes VR legs is very much a thing. First time I put on RIGS I didn't feel so great in about 15 minutes.
Gave it another shot today and I'm hooked.

JuxJuxJux

I'm having the same experience as you. Very different from my normal buying habits. I'm also trying genres and games I wouldn't usually try otherwise, and in most cases, find myself having a really great time.

This is gold. Should be in the OP.

Played about 10 matches of RIGS online today. Starting to really get into the swing of things. Feels good. And yes VR legs is very much a thing. First time I put on RIGS I didn't feel so great in about 15 minutes.
Gave it another shot today and I'm hooked.

I need to give this another try.
The cockpit layout looked and felt great but as soon as the tutorial match started I felt it in my stomach. It was the first game that made me sick and there haven't been many since.

M_A_C

Has anyone compared EVE: Valkyrie Oculus Rift Vs PlayStation VR? I can't find any videos, and it seem like an obvious one to compare the tech of the 2 headsets.

Main reason I ask is because Eve is free if you get a rift at bestbuy right now, and my PSVR arrives tomorrow.

The cockpit layout looked and felt great but as soon as the tutorial match started I felt it in my stomach. It was the first game that made me sick and there haven't been many since.

If it helps first time I played Rigs I threw up within 2-3 minutes of tutorial. Today I played 3 matches in a row and was fine.

Teknoman

I didn't realize Brookhaven was on PSVR. Well shit, Thumper was going to be next, but now it might be that.

Any comparisons between that and until dawn?

Also I'm still getting VR signal drop every now and again. Akin to when the resolution changes I suppose? It's not often, but it's odd when it happens.

I had the same problem, but returned to the game today and redid the entire tutorial and played 2 offline matches before I started to feel a little weird. As the game itself suggests and as others have concurred, you should play this game in short bursts until you start to grow accustomed to it.

It's one of the most immersive games on PSVR but it absolutely does have a "learning curve."

No other games made me feel nauseous at all but RIGS did the very first time I played it, within 15 minutes. I waited a few days while playing other games then went back to RIGS and now after today's session I feel like I can play much longer next time.

Any comparisons between that and until dawn?

Also I'm still getting VR signal drop every now and again. Akin to when the resolution changes I suppose? It's not often, but it's odd when it happens.

Until Dawn is definitely better.
Brookhaven you stand in one place and you can flip 180 degrees to face the other direction. You fight off waves of Zombies and get upgrades between waves. It was good and pretty intense but it takes a while for those waves to ramp up.

farisr

So took every precaution I could this time, taped up the camera wires, had a second person there to help with the initial adjustment, did the tracking light adjustment etc.

Still got left drift, but a fixable one as opposed to the nearly unfixable 45+ degrees drift the first time around. Most of all, London Heist was actually playable, their was minor environment swimming every now then, but at least for the most part the desk remained still so I could actually get some shots off and hit folks without the desk randomly popping up to block the shots like last time.

Exiting the software and starting it back up seemed to alleviate the issue when things were getting way off track, but at one point, things would still start just a tad to the left of for some reason. (and changing position angle of myself, or in relative to the camera just simple wouldn't get me centered in that view.

Also, the start to center option is really different depending on the software, and how much drift there is also seems to be dependent on that as well. After "playing" Allumette, despite having moved around way more than any other game or software, it was only slightly off center from my initial seated/front position, and did fix when I pressed start to center while the end credits were rolling. Whereas in London Heist, it had probably drifted about 20-30 degrees off center, and when I did try to fix it, I'd have to look to the right, to get it anywhere close to the center. Had to restart it to get it properly centered.

Man, it'd be nice to know if this was due to a hardware fault (maybe an issue with the gyros on the headset, or an issue with the camera) or not so I could ask for a replacement.

I had the same problem, but returned to the game today and redid the entire tutorial and played 2 offline matches before I started to feel a little weird. As the game itself suggests and as others have concurred, you should play this game in short bursts until you start to grow accustomed to it.

It's one of the most immersive games on PSVR but it absolutely does have a "learning curve."

No other games made me feel nauseous at all but RIGS did the very first time I played it, within 15 minutes. I waited a few days while playing other games then went back to RIGS and now after today's session I feel like I can play much longer next time.

Fuck it..I am going to try it now. I have 90 minutes to kill before BF1 unlocks.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
So took every precaution I could this time, taped up the camera wires, had a second person there to help with the initial adjustment, did the tracking light adjustment etc.

Still got left drift, but a fixable one as opposed to the nearly unfixable 45+ degrees drift the first time around. Most of all, London Heist was actually playable, their was minor environment swimming every now then, but at least for the most part the desk remained still so I could actually get some shots off and hit folks without the desk randomly popping up to block the shots like last time.

Exiting the software and starting it back up seemed to alleviate the issue when things were getting way off track, but at one point, things would still start just a tad to the left of for some reason. (and changing position angle of myself, or in relative to the camera just simple wouldn't get me centered in that view.

Also, the start to center option is really different depending on the software, and how much drift there is also seems to be dependent on that as well. After "playing" Allumette, despite having moved around way more than any other game or software, it was only slightly off center from my initial seated/front position, and did fix when I pressed start to center while the end credits were rolling. Whereas in London Heist, it had probably drifted about 20-30 degrees off center, and when I did try to fix it, I'd have to look to the right, to get it anywhere close to the center. Had to restart it to get it properly centered.

Man, it'd be nice to know if this was due to a hardware fault (maybe an issue with the gyros on the headset, or an issue with the camera) or not so I could ask for a replacement.

If I were you, I will just tell them the tracking is off and demand a replacement.

After a weekend playing in 30 minute intervals I've gotten through most of the demo disc, minus Kitchen... I'm not subjecting myself to that, lol.

Rez was an immediate buy. It's kind of weird that this old game is pulled off so well in VR.

Thumper is awesome, but way too intense for me in VR. I can barely make it through the demo without sweating bullets. I'd love to buy it but based on the comments in this thread if the difficulty ramps up then I don't think I could make it through the game.

Rigs is the only game that gave me motion sickness. Which is a shame because it's the game I'm most interested in. I might give it a few more tries to see if I can get used to it, I understand there are other control schemes that might help.

Playroom VR platformer, Wayward Skies and Alumette all convinced me that platforming and adventure is viable in VR. Not just viable, but potentially awesome. I think it's easy to say that you don't need VR, but after playing and watching VR adds a lot. I'm kind of surprised at how good these are.

I spent a lot of time in VR Worlds menu screen. Not actually playing, but just messing around the menu screen messing with the spheres that are in front of each game. They're all interactive and behave differently, and the feedback is so good when you touch them. Ocean Descent is pretty incredible too.

The only downside is that the models and details in some of the games are pretty low, but I guess that is to be expected given the high framerate requirements. But Sony's locked me into buying a PS4 Pro now, lol.

In short, I'm extremely impressed, and in some cases blown away. Best impulse buy I've made in years.

Rigs has a surprisingly deep SP league mode. You have league standings, win money, hire teammates, buy new rigs, complete sponsorship challenges for more money and uniform customization stuff. I haven't even touched MP yet. Spent probably ~5 hours in SP.

As far as digital v physical goes, my only physical games are Rigs and VR Worlds. Both of which I return to from time to time. I really wish I would've gorgeous Rigs digitally just for convenience sake.

My 8yo had no issues whatsoever. He loved the Playroom to bits, especially the sherif game. A 9yo friend of his loved it too, but I had to calm him down as he just got up and almost ran into the game world to pet a cow. Quite hilarious.

My wife had a similar reaction to Alumette - twice she involuntarily reacted to catch something.

As for Thumper, wow at that 3-12 boss! Beautiful and awesome. And I watched some 2;35 : 1 movies on Netflix, that was actually really great. I like it better than the regular 'full screen' content which could do with one size in between small and medium I think.

@m0dus, will try VEV if/when available in Europe (don't think I've seen it there yet)

Playroom VR platformer, Wayward Skies and Alumette all convinced me that platforming and adventure is viable in VR. Not just viable, but potentially awesome. I think it's easy to say that you don't need VR, but after playing and watching VR adds a lot. I'm kind of surprised at how good these are.

Yeah, was so glad to see this.

When you read that 'all the text should be clear' screen, if you look straight is the entire paragraph clear or are the words at the far left and right slightly more blurred?

I can never get that screen to be as sharp as I'd like, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to though.

Maybe you're seeing the red/blue convergence around white text - go right up to your TV and you'll see the same thing.

Plus doing it this way means over-ear headphones actually fit over the bands on the headset.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I finally got some real time with my PSVR after being out of town this weekend. Batman VR has made me a believer. You really feel like you're Batman. Rewinding that crime scene was so surreal.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, got two evenings with PSVR and Batman is amazing. Yes, it's like one hour long, but still, it's so immersive it's unreal. All the people and environments feel incredibly real.

Just did the Rigs demo again..twice.

Maybe it's a weekend of clocking mad VR hours but this time the democdidn't make me AS sick. I can still feel it..but the motion sickness isn't as bad as it was on Thursday.

I just wish it wasn't so short. I want to play the full match. I don't want the whole demo disc to have to load each time and I don't want to sit through fist bumps with my teammates every time.

I just saw the post about it being a good SP game..which I would hope since I am sure the MP community will be dead before it ever has one.

I love the presentation of Rigs..I might have to get it and hope for the best.

Nick

If there is a noticeable difference in games for PSVR in the PS4 Pro, I'm going to have to buy it. That's how much I'm all in with PSVR, it's that great and I'm finally excited to be playing video games again.

If there is a noticeable difference in games for PSVR in the PS4 Pro, I'm going to have to buy it. That's how much I'm all in with PSVR, it's that great and I'm finally excited to be playing video games again.
Yep, me too. I need Summer Lesson in native res. The game looks so good, but the awful resolution is holding it back. If we can have more games at that level of quality, bur native res, the future is looking bright for PSVR.

D23

That's enough Thumper for the night. Got midway to level 6...

Im seeing them visuals in my room right now as I'm laying in my bed

Matush

Is SuperHyperCube too hard? I say this not just because I've yet to get to level 3, but because the person that's No. 1 on the world leaderboard has only made it to level 8, and the person in second place is very far behind on level 7.

According to the trophy stats there's not a single person who has competed levels 8, 9 or 10. It might be an impossible platinum.

(To be clear, I like the game, but damn.)
It really seems so, I wasnt able to get to level 3 yet, been playing for approx. hour. Wonder if they will tweak the difficulty since most of the people won't even be able to see later levels. Especially with that $30 price tag.

I'm a believer in the tech now and think the right uses could actually impress the masses now. Was in the final level of Trumper and realized that, despite the very fast tempo, I still didn't have any motion sickness whatsoever. Very impressed. So it's there, if utilized properly. Rez feels similar, but the camera movement in the demo was awkward at times.

Are these basically PS1-2 games? Yes! And I don't care, at all. Immersion seems to be the biggest deal for people who enjoy PSVR (beyond nausea, of course) and I'm in that camp. It's attempting to accomplish something very different than the current PC VR sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom